Reviews of the show
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Re: May 2014 Reviews

Post by Billy Whiz »

To everybody that has posted about their recent Billy trips

I am a man of few words but I just wanted to say a big THANK YOU
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

I would like to add my thanks as well. It is great to read about people's reactions to seeing the show in London for the first time, and also to share the enthusiasm generated by Redmand's leaving show and the 9th Anniversary show. :D
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
dancingboy
Billy

Post by dancingboy »

ERinVA wrote:I would like to add my thanks as well. It is great to read about people's reactions to seeing the show in London for the first time, and also to share the enthusiasm generated by Ryan's leaving show and the 9th Anniversary show. :D

I think that should be Redmand's leaving show, Ellen.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Yes, of course. :oops: I have changed my post accordingly.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

Thursday 2.30 : Bradley and Tomi

Thursday 7.30 : Elliott and Zach A.

As I am in a bit of a rush to pack, this will be quick.

I had a ticket for the Thursday matinee, but at the last minute I decided to purchase one for the evening as well. It was to be my last trip to the VPT for several months, and I had hopes that, at last, I would be able to see Elliott.

The matinee was brilliant with a lively crowd and an even livelier cast. Bradley and Tomi showed again what a great pairing they make. Tomi's comedic skills are amply evident in Expressing and in the 'Kiss' scene; the laughter removes any apprehension a new audience member may have about that those moments, and makes them roll in laughter instead.

Bradley was in top form. There is a real confidence in him now; and he is a 'smiling' Billy (like Redmand and others). It dawned on me how much he now resembles Daniel Russell when on stage, in appearance and in movement. (Elliot, who played the evening's Billy, has the same resemblance to a young Tom Holland, in my eye.)

It was a treat to see David Bardsley in both perfomances; he is a class act. As much as I admire Deka, it is nice to see another 'take' on the role, and David's is uniquely brilliant. And it is always interesting to see how each Billy 'interplays' his role with a different Dad. Brilliantly, I might say.

On the Evening performance: it was, at long last, Elliot's name on the board! I think he has been as elusive (for me to see) as was Kylend (it took me 18 months, from Tampa to Boston, before I finally saw him perform.) Actually, it dawned on me that I had seen Elliot before, on Sky 1's 'Got to Dance' several years ago, when he gave a 'wow' performance with his partner. Needless to say, Elliot's 'wow factor' was in evidence last night. Don't take it from me, but take it from the audience, who cheered, screamed, and applauded (on their feet, more than once, for extended periods) this lad from Liverpool.

Elliott is a 'serious' Billy. By that I mean his method of acting the part is more realistic and less 'dramatic'. He is not a 'smiler'; he is more like Jamie Bell in the film, and for that reason I really got into his interpretation. Here is a boy (Billy) in appalling circumstances, battered and bruised and damaged, angry and resentful, with at last a ray of hope in his sad, wee life. He plays a 'literal' (as opposed to 'dramatic') Billy and I liked it all the more for that. But there are two other points:

-he sings beautifully. I mean, really, really well.

-his dancing is - WOW! - simply amazing. If I knew a serious 'fan of ballet' - a balletomane - who wanted to see BETM for the first time, I would not hesitate to recommend seeing Elliott, because (while they are all great) his turnout was pretty good last night; in fact, it was astounding. The extended standing ovation after 'Electricity' was proof of this; it ended only when he turned away from the applause. And you should have seen and heard the standing ovations at the Finale! Just astounding.

He did not do the piano flip; perhaps out of an abundance of caution.

Leaving the theatre, one is always in a crush waiting for the pedestrian crossing light to flash up the little green man. There was a largish clutch of tweenage girls there, nattering away excitedly about Elliott. Directly in front of me were several adults and a young lad in street clothes, heading off toward Victoria Station. Little did these girls realize that they were walking just feet away from the evening's star, the subject of their gushing comments!
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

Two further little observations:

The Clip Board lady's hair falls suggestively when she says to Jackie 'You actually go.......underground?' Very effective.

The new Posh Dad strikes me as Nigel Farage's role model................................
BH-London
Audience Member

Post by BH-London »

Thursday 29th Matinee
Bradley/Tomi/Demi/Liam/Fred
Ballet Group:Littleton
Understudy's:
Dad:David Bardsley
Grandma:Gillian Elisa
Dead Mam:Charlie Martin
Big Davey:Craig Armstrong
Leslie: Ensemble member (not Charlotte Riby)

"Big Davey" was played by Criag Armstrong and it would be very hard to beat the high standard set by Alan and Alan is really unbeatable. David did another superb job as dad. I think that Gillian Elisa doesn't act the age she is supposed to play, with the "Letter" with Tony when she is holding it, she waves the letter way too fast, a women of Grandma's age couldn't do that,she is also very quick on her feet. Charlie Martin also did a great job. I think that Chris Grahamson should of shown more emotion in the angry scenes he doesn't seem angry he can actually be quite funny in angry scenes. Ruthie did a good job but I still think she should show more emotion when saying good bye to Billy, when she says "you are very F**king special" the she says it makes the audience laugh when it is a sad scene. Once again I had tears forming as soon as Small Boy hands the lolly pop to Big Davey. The performance of "Once We Where Kings" had a little bit more effort in it this time but I think that the new cast aren't as energetic as the old cast but it is still only their first month, lets hope they become more energetic later on.
Clip board Lady: Wendy Somerville
Audio Technician: Phil Snowden
Don't touch me: Ian Gareth Jones

Bradley is a superb Billy, there is not much to write about him because he put's so much effort in and it clearly pays off. Liam is such a good small boy, he says all of his lines so clearly, he is loud and confident and addition to the cast. For the the first time I knew what tall boy says when they run on stage before George during "The Stars Look Down", Fred attempted to put his arm around during "Merry Christmas Maggie Thatcher" to which she quickly shook and pushed it off; after that Fred kept whispering to her, I don't know if this a new thing for the tall boys to do but this is the first i have seen of it. Tomi has toned down his campness and holds "Man" for about 5 seconds now. I haven't seen Demi since January she is an amazing Debbie, her accent is very funny, she also speaks quite fast which you would expect from a northern lass.

Aside from the very annoying French group behind me talking throughout virtually the whole show it was another enjoyable day at VP! :D
-Brandon

Billy's: Redmand(x2), Mitchell(x5), Elliott(x2), Matteo(x1), Bradley(x2)
Michael's: Zak(x2), Zach(x3), Freddie(x3), Tomi(x4)
Debbie's: Demi(x2), Dayna(x3),Mille(x3),Kyria(x4)
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Thanks everybody once again for the great reviews.

I have to agree Brandon about Ruthie in the farewell scene with Billy. She just hasn't got it right yet but I'm sure the company will be working on it. To be fair she had a tough act to follow in Anna-Jane as her farewell scene with Billy was gut wrenching.
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
FM-Switzerland
Tall Boy

Post by FM-Switzerland »

Thank you Brandon, great review! It was nice to meet you and your brother again! See you soon.
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

Billy Whiz wrote:Thanks everybody once again for the great reviews.

I have to agree Brandon about Ruthie in the farewell scene with Billy. She just hasn't got it right yet but I'm sure the company will be working on it. To be fair she had a tough act to follow in Anna-Jane as her farewell scene with Billy was gut wrenching.
In fairness, Anna Jane took it to new heights, and it took a while for her develop that interpretation. Ruthie has developed her role over the past fortnight and-a-half and I am certain she will place her own stamp on it over time.

Return to “Reviews - London”