June 2014 Reviews - London

Reviews of the show
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: June 2014 Reviews - London

Post by kport »

ERinVA wrote:One of the greatest joys for me as a fan of the show has been to be able to follow the progress of a Billy by seeing performances over the course of his run and watching that wonderful progress he makes. The first Billy I was able to follow in this manner was Leon Cooke, and it was a privilege to witness his development in the role. I think that is a large part of what keeps loyal regulars coming back to the show time and time again.
I agree...absolutely!
dancingboy
Billy

Post by dancingboy »

You obviously misinterpreted my words, Brian. By saying that Matteo had energy, effort and enthusiasm meant that, by him, I was entertained and I also said he was an exciting prospect.
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

Let's find a point of agreement.

Each actor's role mirrors that of the Billy on stage. They develop. They infuse their character upon the role. They progress. They are not perfectly formed 'from the brow of Zeus'. Good grief, it says as much in the script.

And while they develop, we watch, we observe, and we imagine what will be..........until one day we find ourselves reminiscing what was....and they move on, and we start again. Just like in families. Just like that.

This is not an exact science. It is akin to nailing jelly (Jello) to a wall. It will move. It will shake. It will change. It will not remain the same. Just like in life.

So did Billy. He changes. He grows. And so did every lad who played the role. They grew. They developed. And they moved on.

Surely - that is why people come back to this story? To see how it develops? If it became a homogenous story, with Indentikit Billys/Michaels/Debbies et al, from day one, I would be off.............that is too 'Disney'.

Matteo is just fine. He is exactly where he should be, right now. Exactly!
dancingboy
Billy

Post by dancingboy »

Bill,
Let me make it clear. On watching the Thursday matinee I found Matteo full of energy and enthusiasm, and entertaining, for which I applaud him. I like that in a Billy. He is an exciting prospect, who, I am sure will develop into an excellent Billy. That was the gist of my original comments, about Matteo. Nothing more. Nothing less.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Does anyone have a new review for us?
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
Barry Appleby
George

Post by Barry Appleby »

THURSDAY 19th JUNE (Matinee)

Sorry I’m a bit late with this review, fortunately I have other commitments, so I’ll make it short.
It was great to see for the first time Phil Snowden as Mr Braithwaite, he was so casual but so funny, he interacted with Matteo so well in B2B, his experience and understanding in the show shone out.
Ruthie and Chris have stamped their acting abilities in the own respective ways on the characters of Mrs Wilkinson and Tony.
Deka for me is top draw, his antics in front of the safety curtain on Thursday had many in the audience in hysterics, he must take so much credit for the success of the show over the past two years.
Howard as George, was as outstanding as ever, with even more funny facial expressions.
It was the first time I’ve seen Tomi, what a bundle of fun and a mischievous Michael he plays, he really plays up George in the Boxing scene.
Matteo gave a fabulous performance, he so seems to be enjoying himself, its the first time I’ve seen him since the birthday night, it was well worth every penny of the 450 mile round trip. I’m like Jackie Elliot “not an expert” but I thought his ballet in Electricity was graceful and outstanding, to me he so much reminds me of Liam Mower, same build and statue at that age, what a brave decision by him to take up dancing. He has only one fault though, giving Italy to win the World Cup, maybe I’ll eat my words.
Again a Big Thanks to the rest of the cast for another afternoon of great entertainment.

Barry’s corny joke - Murphy was on holiday in Scotland, he decided to walk from village to village.
As he arrived at a village called Loch Ellibramatmitch, he was stooping and had his head down, a guy said “why on earth are you walking like that” Murphy replied, “that’s easy, there is a sign on the roadside that says, bend for a ¼ of a mile”
FM-Switzerland
Tall Boy

Post by FM-Switzerland »

FRIDAY June 20th:
After seeing Mitch many times during the last months and always writing about 'a new best performance' in my reviews when having seen him again, I didn't think he could still become better... But I was wrong!
He enjoys himself more than ever before on that stage, and he shows it to everybody by smiling and laughing many times now (especially after the massive applause after 'Electricity').
His fastest Electricity and spins I have ever witnessed! Amazing!
3 hours of pure quality without any mistakes, very nice 'Dream Ballet' as well (all the way synchronous) and of course real tears during both 'Letter scenes'.
Todd
Dad

Post by Todd »

Monday, June 23, 2014

Billy - Mitchell Tobin
Michael - Tomi Fry
Mrs. Wilkinson - (alternate; not sure of her name)
All other cast were regulars

The first time I saw Mitchell Tobin was in Fayetteville, Arkansas a couple of Decembers ago when he was still in training. Ben Cook and Kylend Hetherington had just performed together as Billy and Michael that afternoon, and the cast then went over to a nearby Chipotle to grab a bite before the evening show. To see Mitchell alongside those two as he waited in line to order his food was quite a contrast !

Fast forward to tonight, as Mitchell walked out on stage as the Billy veteran in terms of age and experience. It's times like this that help make the journey interesting for fans of the show. You get to watch first-hand as these young performers improve and become stars before your very eyes - just like the story of Billy in the show.

What struck me most by Mitchell's performance tonight was the expertise of his dancing. His ballet and gymnastics in "Electricity" were about as close to perfect as you can get, as his pirouettes at the end of the number almost brought tears to your eyes. The audience gave him the enthusiastic response he deserved, as the applause went on for a good long while. His portrayal of Billy was more serious and downhearted than I remember in the past, which is certainly an understandable way to play the part given Billy's depressing circumstances. But I did find myself missing the spark and the joy that Elliott had given in his performance last week.

The alternate Mrs. Wilkinson did a fine job, as I wasn't sure for awhile if it was the regular actress I'd seen last week or not. Pretty impressive when the show has a number of different people who can step into the various roles and do a very impressive job. It was a treat seeing Ann Emery as Grandma again, as she always gives her unique stamp on the part and is a natural comedienne.
Todd
Dad

Post by Todd »

Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Billy - Matteo Zecca
Michael - Zak Baker
All others were regulars

I was glad to get to see Matteo while I was in London, as it's always fun to see a Billy towards the beginning of his run, and then hopefully see him later to observe the growth and changes that he has gained from experience. I found him to be a very likeable Billy, and someone who you find yourself rooting for. He has an infectious smile and has a way about him which seems to say, "I can't believe I'm up here on stage getting to do this ! Is this fun, or what?" He seems to be very comfortable on stage and looks like he's loving every minute that he's performing.

One unique characteristic of his performance on this particular night - which may be something he does all the time - is that he made a great deal of eye contact with the audience. At times it seemed as if he was looking for family or friends who might be in attendance and sitting somewhere in the front few rows. On the one hand, it helped to make the audience feel a part of the performance, but I suppose it could also be argued that the "invisible wall" between the actors and the audience was being broken down, which is not something you normally see. At any rate, as has been discussed on prevoius pages here, I'm sure it's all part of lessons learned through performing experience. Despite my having seen the show numerous times, I sometimes forget that these are 11 to 13-year-olds who are carrying a West End show. Pretty amazing when you think of it, as it's not anything I would have been capable of doing at that age - or even as an adult.

I enjoyed Zak Baker's performance as Michael, as he was clearly playing the part for all it was worth. It was almost like someone doing his last show, as he was doing everything he could to cut loose and enjoy himself. He looks like a pretty natural comedian, and someone who I bet the rest of the cast enjoys. In fact, I found myself thinking about how hard this cast works and how much they give during each performance. From Ann Emery's dancing, singing, and belting out her lines at her age, to Tony's angry energy, to Deka Walmsley - who must wake up with bruised shoulders and sore calves each morning from his confrontations with Tony - the show certainly requires a lot of energy to perform.

I guess that's why the audience leaves the theatre each night feeling the way they do, as they feed off that energy that the cast provides. The gentleman sitting next to me raved about Matteo's talents and said at the end of the show, "I'm speechless - and exhausted !" With the talented performers that the show continues to find - and the large crowds who leave on a high each day - it's hard to imagine the show not going on for a good long time.
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

Thursday Matinee 26th June

Mitchell/Zach A/Demi

There were waves galore at the theatre during this afternoon’s breathtaking matinee and they were going in all directions. The most powerful wave of all had made its way across the Atlantic from Florida and its ever-gathering momentum struck home at just the right time and enveloped all in the vicinity. The generator of this wave was Mitchell Tobin. The vagaries of the scheduling meant I had not seen him in action since the second half of the Birthday show and we got shown in no uncertain manner what we have been missing.

Thursday matinees are usually notable for the youngster groups that attend but never was this more to the fore than today when large sections of the theatre were occupied by a fantastic number of them who came to enjoy the show and show their appreciation in all the right places. It led to an electric atmosphere. You had waves of class and talent bursting out from the stage. You had waves of admiration and idolatory coming back towards the stage and the lucky ones in Rows A and B were right smack below where the two sets of waves met one another. The result was spine tingling emotion and hairs on the back of neck bristling time. Every big moment was cheered, every quiet moment religiously observed. Everyone on stage milked it for all it was worth. Even David Muscat as Mr. B “manouvered” and timed his splits in B2B so well that the accomplishment of same was rewarded with the biggest cheer I have heard for this for many a long year. The Finale was a continuous set of rousing cheers as each character was recognised as they took their bow.

Mitchell has it all and his pacing was 10/10. Who can ever forget the Letter with those teary eyes and anguished voice, the pulsating feet of Angry Dance, a glorious Dream Ballet with Barnaby and a stunningly danced Ballet Electricity that was quite simply mindblowing and completed with a series of unbelievable spins, arms raised in unison. (there probably is a technical ballet term for that but “bloody brilliantly fantastic” will do for me). It was at that point that the largest incoming wave hit the stage and Mitchell smiled back, let them know how much he appreciated their approval. You could call it an electromagnetic wave. It was the sheer magic of BETM in action yet again.

Zach A was like a microwave. He has this ability to press a button and initiate a change of temperature and mood in an instant. The Boxing scene was a huge hit and Zach was right in the thick of it as usual with mischief galore. Expressing was a riot of fun, smiles and dance. Due to Mitchell’s sudden movement at the precise time the lipstick episode became the cheekstick episode. Major waves from the audience at the end of it. The engagement with the tutu and demonstration of “ballet” raised the roof and was brilliantly finished off with a magnificently timed nutcracker accompanied by a most appropriate contortionistic facial expression.

BTW, kudos to the dancers in the Dancing Dresses (and trousers) who, show after show, turn up trumps and complement the fun and games of Billy and Michael.

Funnily enough, the “Barnardos” comment during MCMT that we discussed a few weeks ago seems to have disappeared or, at least, was not heard for the last few shows I’ve seen. Must check again next week.

One thing I don’t think I’ve ever commented on before is the behind-the-curtain assembly and disassembly of the RBS set for the audition scene. It must take a small army to get that done in such a relatively short time. Seems like a huge effort for what is a short scene in reality but, then, the script does say “We are holding the auditions on stage today” so why not.

Maestro Chris Hatt blended all the wonderful music waves/musicians with his usual skill and aplomb.

Sitting there underneath the overhead waves washing back and forth was just about as good as it gets and my grateful thanks to the sensational Mitchell and Co. for making it yet another extremely worthwhile and all enchanting visit to London.

When Billy Live goes out among the airwaves in September an awful lot of people who haven’t seen the show yet are going to get the surprise of their lives when they see what they have been missing. I’d get booking your future seats if I were you or else wave goodbye to seeing the show for a long period.

Pat

Return to “Reviews - London”