July 2014 Reviews - London

Reviews of the show
Barry Appleby
George

Re: July 2014 Reviews - London

Post by Barry Appleby »

So sorry but with other commitments I couldn’t be there on Saturday, so a Big! Big! Thanks to John and Pat for your super reviews, they just make you feel as you are in theatre. Also David for those splendid photo’s they are again so much appreciated, I know it would have been a great emotional unforgettable evening, one consolation I did get to see Mitchell as Michael.
MsRF
Small Boy

Post by MsRF »

Saturday 19th July - Evening

Mitchell and Zak's last show

Although it has already been said by John and Pat, I have to add my own 2 cents - purely because I think Saturday night's show was one of, if not THE, most enjoyable Billy performance I have ever attended.

There were so many funny moments and so many extra little things to spot. When Mitchell walked forward to accept the feathers from Ruthie before Shine, she smacked him (with a lot of gusto!) around the shoulders with it several times before handing it to him.

I held my breath when Mitchell ran up the stairs after Dad has punched Tony, as he took a tumble at the bottom of the stairs and I was hoping against hope he hadn't done any damage to himself. Luckily he hadn't, and completed a session of absolutely flawless skipping in Born to Boogie. Fantastic that all three managed it in his final show.

When Billy hugs Mrs Wilkinson after she gives him the tape, before Angry Dance, Mitchell was sobbing as he hugged Ruthie and had to wipe his eyes as he walked to his bed.

As Mitchell was spinning Cindy the Nurse, she flew out of his grip, leaving only her red cape in his hand. Zak had the presence of mind to look absolutely outraged at Billy's audacity, and Mitchell just beamed at him and shrugged his shoulders. It'll give them some good memories. Cindy actually landed over towards the front of the stage - I was wondering what would have happened if she'd flown offstage. It would've been most amusing watching a member of the audience hand the doll back to Zak.

A truly superb Dream Ballet followed - so in sync. Mitchell did fumble the chair ever so slightly (nothing a first-timer would have noticed though) and that made me smile as I remember him dropping the chair in his London debut - it seemed very fitting.

As Barnaby (I absolutely adore him in the role of Older Billy) got ready to spin Mitchell, he shouted something at him which couldn't be heard over the music, but I assume was informing Mitchell that he was about to really go for it, as he then spun Mitchell so fast - I'm not sure I've seen a Billy be spun faster! Again, a fitting element in his last show.

Mitchell's Electricity was, of course, fabulous, but I'm sure he's never done it better. Absolutely spot on and breathtaking to watch. He actually missed the final note of Electricity to hold his pose, just to squeeze out a few more lightning fast pirouettes. The smile on his face said it all as everyone jumped to their feet to applaud him.

After Electricity, when George tells Billy that 'ya'll get in, ne bother!', he really clouted him across the head (I'm not sure it was supposed to be as hard as it was, but it made the audience gasp and then laugh as Mitchell ran offstage).

I'm not normally a very emotional person but as Ruthie was saying goodbye to Mitchell in the dance hall, rather than just standing a few metres away and saying 'You are very f...ing special', she walked towards him and cupped his face in her hands and said it so gently. Definitely made me well up a little bit! They too were both wiping away tears as she walked offstage.

And who could forget Zak - I'm really going to miss the 'C'est moi!' and his generally crazy attitude towards playing Michael. Because you see them onstage, it's always a shock to see them in person after the show, because you realise how small they actually are. I bumped into Matteo and Bradley running to the toilets in the interval and they're both tiny also! It just makes you appreciate the true task they have ahead of them when they play in this show.

Anyway, enough from me. Mitchell and Zak - all the best in everything you go on to do. And Mitchell - enjoy skateboarding, instagramming and eating junk food - you've earned it.

And thanks all involved for a great show. Definitely one of my Billy highlights.

PS. I agree that Chris Jenkins was great in the role of Tony - he had just the right balance of anger and tenderness and his accent was spot on (I'm not sure if he is northern or not!)

PS.2. I also saw Bradley at the matinee, after months of not seeing him, and he really is smashing. Beautiful ballet and some truly fabulous acting. I wish they would mix up his Electricity a little bit - as it is mainly hip-hop
without much acro - his ballet is easily good enough for them to put in a few ballet moves. But I suppose they have to stick to the assigned choreography!
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Thanks for the terrific review MsRF. I think you covered everything perfectly.

I too am not am emotional person but I had a lump in my throat during the final scene with Mrs W.

Sorry I never spotted you at the theatre. Maybe next time.
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
Barry Appleby
George

Post by Barry Appleby »

Also a Big! Thanks and appreciation for your review, Rachel, another "one for the album"
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

Billy Whiz wrote:Here are a few photos from Mitchell's and Zak's last night.
Wonderful! Thank you!

"Good writers define reality; bad ones merely restate it." -Edward Albee
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

Todd wrote:
dancingboy wrote:
mikey2573 wrote:Did Mitchell and Zack change their final lines?
No, they said '' See ya Michael and Billy''. I don't think the Company allow the boys to change the lines nowadays.
What could they do . . .fire them ? :lol:
Exactly! Crazy that they don't allow them, as it is a true theatrical moment, an opportunity to make great theatre even greater by bringing it home to real life, by breaking down the 4th wall and reminding us that these are real people saying good bye to each other. The powers that be have sadly failed on this one. Real names should be used there!!!
-Sean

"Good writers define reality; bad ones merely restate it." -Edward Albee
FM-Switzerland
Tall Boy

Post by FM-Switzerland »

Review WED July 30th:
Wow, what a brilliant show this was! Amazing, one of the best shows I have seen during the last two months! My favourite trio was performing (Bradley / Tomi / Demi) + small boy Lewis + David Bardsley + Ann Emery + the best Ruthie (Mr. Wilkinson) I have ever seen (and I guess this means a lot as it was my 24th time seeing her!).
Ruthie really reached another level (you cannot compare her anymore to those shows in May). She puts so much energy, heart and new elements into it! Her day off yesterday might have been another reason for tonight's brilliant and powerful performance.
Bradley is still getting better and better and compared to his performance 24 hours ago I must say he did even better tonight! Still having some trouble when giving the two 50p coins to Mrs W. (one of the two always landing on the floor), but beside this small thing such an excellent performance with some different elements in Electricity (compared to yesterday) and really close to absolute perfection with more emotions from his side during the letter scene than I ever noticed before.
Tomi changed some things again and this is great: not 'stretching' the word 'maaaaan' anymore and keeping it to 1 second now, and also not 'insisting' and laughing after the 'nutcracker' joke for 10 seconds anymore.
Demi really without any mistakes, she knows where to use a longer pause before talking again (only she is doing those) and her facial expression when Mrs W. takes away her biscuits is absolutely priceless! Always enjoying a little bit more when seeing her name on the castboard.
Small boy Lewis: what can I say... Every single performance of him is a new 'first time performance' because he always behaves differently and brings in new personal elements. Three examples from this show: Boxing scene: After the third "Jesus" he waited about 6-7 seconds till he 'broke down' completely (George had a very long wait). Then Lewis wanted to 'kill' Phil Snowden during the X-mas song, it was so funny. After giving the lollypop to Big Davey he just didn't want to leave immediately so Big Davey had to 'send him away' two or three times.
Great job as well by all the ballet girls! Thank you!
84 year old Ann Emery amazing as ever before and I don't have to tell you how much I like David Bardsley playing Dad!
There are so many little details and differences (changes from show to show) making us regulars 'happy' and giving a special touch to every single performance at VP. Sometimes I wish to be able to take some notes during the show!
Standby Billy was Ollie! This means I will finally see him tomorrow (which will be his 5th show ever). Looking forward to that so much.
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

Thursday 31st July – all day

Matinee: Ollie/Tomi/Demi
Evening: Elliott/Zach/Kyria

Yesterday was one of those rare days at the VPT where we got the best of both worlds. Performing at the matinee was brand new Billy, Ollie Jochim and the evening show was led by the current longest serving Billy, Elliott Hanna.

On a day in London when you didn’t need a brolly it was a jolly crowd of Thursday Matinee regular fans who were about to see Ollie onstage for the first time and, by golly, what a performance he gave. Displaying massive stage presence, oozing confidence and with a crystal clear distinctive voice he clearly demonstrated why he has been chosen as the latest amazingly talented boy (and the third Ollie) to play this extraordinarily demanding role. There was so much to enjoy, with some unique touches that continue the policy of there being no clones allowed at this show. To be this good at such an early stage in his Billy career makes the mind boggle and I am looking forward with gusto to seeing his progression over the coming months.

Backing up Ollie with his ton-of-fun Michael was Tomi Fry, a born comic with a cheerful disposition that makes Terry Wogan sound like Victor Meldrew. Excellent dancer, too and destined for great things.

Elliott Hanna blew everyone away again at the evening show the highlights being a stunning Angry Dance and mercurial ballet Electricity but also a powerful acting display in which the pre-Angry Dance kitchen scene alone would have earned him an Oscar. Elliott has recently completed his first year as Billy and it is a tribute to his hard work and determination over 12 months plus that he has reached this exemplary level of performance.

Zach Atkinson was Michael and, as always, he lit up the stage like a bright rainbow with an endearing smile emblazoned across it. After 18 months in the show (next month) he is a master of the role and always delivers a stellar performance.

Craig Armstrong’s stand-in Posh Dad always cracks me up and we had it twice and, for the evening show, none other than Spencer Cartwright stood in excellently as Big Davey.

Special mention this week goes to Claudia Bradley as Dead Mum whose beautiful sweet singing voice lends such tenderness to her scenes with Billy and to Wendy Somerville for raising the laughs in her role as the RBS receptionist.

Extra special mention to Older Billy, Barnaby. No matter which one of the Billys is on, Barnaby dances with and guides all of them with expertise, precision, extraordinary strength and, with his confidence-inspiring smile, always brings the best out of them. It is a great shame that he will not be performing this role when the show is broadcast live worldwide in September. Why would you go into such an important game without your best player in that position? The world of show business is such a strange one.

Finally, the music arrangements, what can I say. Every show seems to bring out new musical sounds – a little bit of this and a little bit of that to enhance the score and bring it to even new heights. You couldn’t possibly close your eyes and miss all the action on the stage but, if you could, the music on its own would be a joy in itself.

I enjoyed every second of both shows yesterday and, judging by their reactions, everyone in the audience likewise. I expect that most if not all of them will be thinking, “I must see this again”.

Thanks to Ollie, Elliott and Co. for providing such top-o’-the-class entertainment. I think it prolly would be the folly of a wally not to fork out the lolly to see it.

Pat
dancingboy
Billy

Post by dancingboy »

Good Golly Miss Molly, Pat.
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

dancingboy wrote:Good Golly Miss Molly, Pat.
LOL, John, we must be off our trolley(s) :D.

Live theatre is great. One thing I forgot to mention about the evening show that caused much behind-the-scenes amusement (no names being revealed). In MCMT one of the designated platform "fetchers" for the puppets was of insufficient stature to grab hold of said prop. The other "fetcher", who had more than ample stature, managed to slowly "wiggle" the platform down into the other "fetcher's" waiting hands just in time for puppetry to commence.

Pat

Return to “Reviews - London”