ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: September 2014 Reviews - London

Post by ERinVA »

Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
MsRF
Small Boy

Post by MsRF »

dancingboy wrote:
OliverWaters wrote:
CJ-Rochester wrote:Thanks for all of the great reviews from the Billy Elliot Live show. I don't think anyone has mentioned how Liam Mower did as the Scottish Dancer in the RBS scene. Would anyone who was there, or who saw it in the cinemas, care to comment?
He did the accent really well. If I wasn't wearing my glasses, I wouldn't know it was him.
From my seat near the front of the Dress Circle I am pretty certain that the Scottish Ballet dancer was played by the usual actor, not by Liam. Liam did the little bit of ballet/pirouettes, but not the front of curtain scene.
Dancingboy is right - Scottish Dancer was 100% not Liam at the Live show.

It was the usual actor - I don't know his name (not Barnaby, or Lee Hoy who sometimes plays him).
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

ERinVA wrote:Here's a way to get a bad review:

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/ashford/new ... iot-24407/
I read some personal comments on various entertainment and technical review sites, claiming that some cinemas had a few problems with transmission: signal cut out, sound cut out, screen resolution/size. The signal appears to have been transmitted to each theatre by Eutelsat.

http://www.eutelsat.com/en/home.html .
Intelsat 905 (24.5°W)
Frequency: 11128 - Pol: H - SR: 14999 - FEC: -
Category: Autre
Transmitted in: MPEG-4
Comments: Id : Billy Elliot
OliverWaters
Ballet Girl

Post by OliverWaters »

MsRF wrote:
dancingboy wrote:
OliverWaters wrote:
CJ-Rochester wrote:Thanks for all of the great reviews from the Billy Elliot Live show. I don't think anyone has mentioned how Liam Mower did as the Scottish Dancer in the RBS scene. Would anyone who was there, or who saw it in the cinemas, care to comment?
He did the accent really well. If I wasn't wearing my glasses, I wouldn't know it was him.
From my seat near the front of the Dress Circle I am pretty certain that the Scottish Ballet dancer was played by the usual actor, not by Liam. Liam did the little bit of ballet/pirouettes, but not the front of curtain scene.
Dancingboy is right - Scottish Dancer was 100% not Liam at the Live show.

It was the usual actor - I don't know his name (not Barnaby, or Lee Hoy who sometimes plays him).
It seems like I need new glasses!

(though I'm only meant to wear them for an hour or so at a time, my eyes were reet hurting after the show)
Occam's razor: The simplest answer is the most probable.

Oliver's razor: The most boring answer is the most probable.
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

I'm reasonably sure that the gentleman to whom you refer is the other Older Billy Understudy, Mark John Richardson.

Pat
Dancer
Ballet Girl

Post by Dancer »

I took advantage of my free ticket to see the show again yesterday afternoon at the same cinema and after the problems of the first screening (see my previous review) it was just brilliant with no problems at all! Sadly there were just 9 (yes NINE!) people in the audience but all seemed to enjoy it. The performance was still in real time which included the 20 minute interval. Interestingly, before the film started a "12A" advisory message was shown on screen. I especially liked the close-ups of the cast as you were able to catch some dialogue that could easily be missed. For example, after Elliott gave Mrs Wilkinson the second 50p, he mouthed the words, "rip off!".
OliverWaters
Ballet Girl

Post by OliverWaters »

So I went to a cinema rerun yesterday. It was, of course, as awesome as I remembered :D

It did include Elliot's backstage tour etc, and the interval. I too didn't notice the "rip off!" moment until last night :p

The audience beside and behind me were amusing; there was what I assume were an elderly couple and their middle aged daughter, who seemed to be having the time of their lives. They were giggling, gasping and clapping, but not loudly enough to be annoying, and they loved Michael. After the Letter, a small child sat behind whispered to his mother, "Mommy, you're a bad driver, can you write me a letter in case you crash and die?"
Occam's razor: The simplest answer is the most probable.

Oliver's razor: The most boring answer is the most probable.
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: Billy Elliot the Musical Live

Post by kport »

Quite a few interesting observations are made here:

http://www.northumberlandgazette.co.uk/ ... -1-6873632
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: Billy Elliot the Musical Live

Post by kport »