like theatre, I'd say for everyone, and it's got so much emotion
behind it. Because who ever comes and sees it, feels the story -
so I think: it's brilliant!" (GM)
OliverWaters
Ballet Girl

Re: October 2014 Reviews - London

Post by OliverWaters »

Todd wrote:
Jamie. wrote:a bunch of teenage girls took it upon themselves to upgrade to Premium seats as there was a few empty seats.
This has always been a temptation for me, I must admit . . . .whenever I have seats with a poor view on the sides or towards the back, and I see some good seats going un-used down close to the stage. To be honest, I have moved down to the better seats several times, although I do draw the line if it means blocking a short adult or a child whom I would be moving in front of. Wonder if moving to better seats is more or less common in the West End than it is in the U.S. ? Any thoughts ?
I don't think you'd ever block anyone in VPT. When I go cinema I slump in my seat so I dont block the person behind, but in VPT the seats are so much higher I can spread upward all I like :D no bloody leg room though.
Occam's razor: The simplest answer is the most probable.

Oliver's razor: The most boring answer is the most probable.
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

The seating is so tight (legroom is paltry upstairs) that the only remedies are to sit on the aisle, or the very front rows (obstructive views). Or put up with it.

I assume that London theatres are not required to be fully handicapped accessible (at least older, Listed ones), despite EU requirements; when the VPT is restored in 2016, I would hope this deficiency will be remedied. Accessible handicapped seating and accessible toilets; and lifts.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

On one of my most recent trips to the VPT, I went to the loo during the interval and came back to find people had moved into my row, taking my seat as one of the ones they had claimed. I let them know that they had taken my seat, so they got up and went back to their own seats, which, by the way, were in the premium zone. The seats they tried to steal were not premium, but they were closer to the stage.

Oliver, you must go to a different VPT than the one I'm used to. I usually sit in the stalls, either in row B, which of course is the first row on house left, or the second on house right. But I also often sit in row C or D, and believe me, I have spent many a performance trying to dodge heads in order to see. Admittedly, I am short, but I don't think that's the only reason I have trouble seeing around people in front of me.

kport, I have been to some theatres, like the Marlowe in Canterbury, the Hawth in Crawley, and the Swan in High Wycombe, that have excellent leg room, but these are all modern facilities, unlike most West End theatres. I do hope that the remodel of the VPT, when it finally happens, will produce better leg room and handicapped accessibility.

And now, back to reviews....
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
OliverWaters
Ballet Girl

Post by OliverWaters »

I've only ever sat there in the Grand Circle (in all two of my visits) never Stalls, so there you go :p
Occam's razor: The simplest answer is the most probable.

Oliver's razor: The most boring answer is the most probable.
Borrobil
Ballet Girl

Post by Borrobil »

kport wrote:I assume that London theatres are not required to be fully handicapped accessible (at least older, Listed ones), despite EU requirements; when the VPT is restored in 2016, I would hope this deficiency will be remedied. Accessible handicapped seating and accessible toilets; and lifts.
I do think the VP has made a satisfactory effort in this respect, even if its not ideal. VPT has an "accessible toilet" on the left toward the front opened with a"Radar" key or by staff. (uk disabled clients will have a Radar key.) Two wheelchair places are available on the left aisle not far from the level fire exits to Allington Street through which you can enter by arrangement. Further wheel chairs, frames etc can be stored.
Also, there is an infra-red system for hearing aids (red thing hanging above seat A1, I guess), and I've seen an assistance dog in the audtorium without issue or they can be housed with staff. More details are on the BETM website.
I'm sure the new plans will certainly improve on this. sorry it's off topic.
~ Paul ~
dancingboy
Billy

Post by dancingboy »

Monday 27 October

There are times when the little things in life amuse me. For example, although not for the first time, we had both Billy and Elliot(t) on the same show, Billy being Small Boy Billy Marlow and Elliott being Elliott Hanna, playing Billy Elliot. There was an occurrence during the latter part of the show that I had not witnessed before, despite the number of times I have seen the show.
You can all picture the scene. The RBS Letter has been delivered and is sitting on the table. Elliott comes through the door, walks to the kitchen and, as is customary, started to eat a Jaffa cake and to drink some milk. All was quiet. Suddenly, from the rear Stalls came the sound of a child, a girl I think, chuckling/giggling away. This went on for, perhaps, twenty seconds or so. Those on stage all heard the giggling. However, it got to Elliott, who just could not stop laughing. (This was easy to see from the Front stalls). Grandma, Dad and Tony were all smiles, but Elliott was still laughing when he turned round to say 'S**t', but he just could not get the word out. Many in the audience were laughing by this time. Deka ( Dad) said the next line to save any more time. Elliott picked up the letter and deliberated over opening it. Cue more giggling from the little girl.....and Elliott again. However, after a few seconds Elliott regained his composure and the scene continued without further ado. Something, of course, that can only happen in live theatre, but a hilarious few minutes for everyone.
As for the show, this again showed what an excellent Billy Elliott is. He is much more animated now with his acting and has added some nice touches, particularly in Grandma's song. His pirouettes at the end of Solidarity were some of the best I have seen for a long time, extremely well 'spotted'. Overall his dancing was first class, ending with a well timed, polished Electricity, thoroughly deserving of some long applause.
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

Thursday Matinee 30th October

The lucky occupants of the plush VPT matinee furniture this week were thoroughly thrilled, excited and delighted by a dynamic display of Matteo’s magical magnificence coupled with a dose of Zach-elissimo-style innovative and excellent extravagance. It’s not easy to express with adequate eloquence how such exciting and exhilarating entertainment affects the mind, body and soul other than to confirm that, as the curtain descended on Zach’s beautifully portrayed lonely Michael, had this been a meal at the Ritz, the palate would have experienced the ultimate in taste variety and authenticity.

The icing on Matteo’s majestic ballet Electricity included a spectacular and congruous arms-aloft moment plus the killer smile spun like a spider’s web around a grateful-to-be-trapped audience.

Ruthie’s tremendous talents and love for this show shone like Sirius in the silky night skies as she cannily cajoled Billy along the way despite the belligerent bullying by Tony and Dad in stunningly acted scenes of power, passion and pain.

Mark’s motivated musicians provided us with many melodic and memorable moments as they meandered their ways through the millions of meaningful notes, both morbid and merry, that combine to produce such a masterful score.

A quick yes or no session:

F-a-D line? Yes
Genuflection? No.

One final thought. When I look back at all the emotional Letter scenes I’ve witnessed over the years I never thought that the addition of just two words would amplify the emotion to such an extent. Matteo’s two, “Don’t go”, demolished this viewer in one fell stroke.

Wherever you are partying on this Halloween night, please do raise all your glittering glasses to the fantastic folk on and under the stage at that hallowed home of Billy in Victoria, London.

Pat
dancingboy
Billy

Post by dancingboy »

Agree with your sentiments, Pat. ''Don't Go'' adds much more to the Letter scene, more than I thought, when I first heard it. Also I don't mind F*** A Duck, but cannot see the real relevance of the genuflection to the Banner. My thoughts at the Live show were that this was added to honour Easington, as the village was seeing the show being broadcast, but had not expected this to be seen ( although not all Billys do it) again.
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Talking of people sitting in the wrong seats. A friend of mine went to take his seat in the VP and there was somebody already sat there and they insisted that they were in the right seat. They took out their ticket and they were indeed in the right seat - but it was the wrong theatre :D :D :D They were supposed to be at the Palace Theatre.

Thank you dancingboy and patc for the great reviews.

It keeps the appetite of us irregular visitors whetted.
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.

Return to “Reviews - London”