November 2014 Reviews - London

Reviews of the show
dancingboy
Billy

Re: November 2014 Reviews - London

Post by dancingboy »

For Sheepdog's benefit - Tall Boy on Wednesday was Caspar.
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

Thursday matinee - 20 November

It was my first chance to see Ollie. Every Billy brings a different dimension to the role, and Ollie's is very compelling. He is a 'happy' Billy, insofar as his persona is not overweighed by the conditions in which he finds himself. A 'glass half full' Billy. He dances exceptionally well - the standout number was his Angry Dance, which amply lived up to its name. (I still can't get my head around the moment in that number when the action seems to almost come to a halt, just after the police shield moment.)

It was great to see Zach back. He and Ollie make a very good match, indeed, and Zach understands the subtleties (?) of the humour in his role. Great performances as always by Deka, and Ruthie and Gillian Elisa were in great form. Demi is a little star. There were quite a few ensemble role switches in that performance, which kept me on my toes sorting out who played who.

The Harton Ballet Girls were great and are perhaps the youngest (and tiniest!) group of BGs I have ever seen. They danced well and seemed to have a ball, considering it was their second outing.

The theatre was about half full, with the top circle closed and the rest about 2/3 full, like last Thursday's matinee. I hope these lowish numbers are what is expected this time of year, and not a trend. Only a couple of school parties were present, which is unusual for a Thursday matinee. But the crowd reacted well, despite its size.
Westletonion
Miner

Post by Westletonion »

The theatre was about half full, with the top circle closed and the rest about 2/3 full, like last Thursday's matinee. I hope these lowish numbers are what is expected this time of year, and not a trend.

I have to disagree as I observed that the top circle was open albeit a little sparse. Others can confirm this. There is nothing at all unusual about this for this at this time of the year which is a 'lull' between half term and Christmas. The same often happens in May. The theatre reports that attendances on Mondays, Tuesdays and the weekends have been, and remain, extremely bouyant.
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

Westletonion wrote:The theatre was about half full, with the top circle closed and the rest about 2/3 full, like last Thursday's matinee. I hope these lowish numbers are what is expected this time of year, and not a trend.

I have to disagree as I observed that the top circle was open albeit a little sparse. Others can confirm this. There is nothing at all unusual about this for this at this time of the year which is a 'lull' between half term and Christmas. The same often happens in May. The theatre reports that attendances on Mondays, Tuesdays and the weekends have been, and remain, extremely bouyant.
You are correct, and I stand corrected. The top circle had a few people sitting in it; not many. A week ago Thursday, it was closed.
Barry Appleby
George

Post by Barry Appleby »

Regarding attendances I can't see a lot of difference to last year, for the Thursday matinee's, I'm not certainly there every week, but it seems what I call the day seats were less occupied but more people are certainly using the more expensive seats and also last year the upper balcony was very rarely used, so I would say attendances are the same, although up to what was half school term the theatre was well filled for the matinees and better than last year, plenty in the Upper Balcony. Yet I've had difficulty in booking my normal seat for December in row C.
Arriving at Kings Cross I've never seen the station so quiet at midday also hardly a queue for the photo's at platform 9and3/4 and generally London was quiet, that was my impression.
I've always thought that the publicity was not up to scratch with this show, it was either all over or not at all, this seems to be the problem in the States with the film. I've never thought that the youth leaping in the advertisement meant anything, yet I think the Angry Dance photo is great, gives you a real warmth for the show.
MsRF
Small Boy

Post by MsRF »

Barry Appleby wrote:I think the Angry Dance photo is great, gives you a real warmth for the show.
I too like the Angry Dance advertisement - I think the picture they've chosen for the DVD release of Elliott is around the same point in the dance and has similar resonance.

One thing I noticed in the Angry Dance poster (I think it is George but correct me if I'm wrong!) that I now can't un-notice is that Billy has his tracksuit bottoms on back to front!

I remember Harrison doing this once when he was obviously in a rush to get dressed, and thought it was very sweet!
Barry Appleby
George

Post by Barry Appleby »

THURSDAY 20th NOVEMBER (Matinee)

A long day, up at 5am, can you tell me why, an electric kettle seems make such a noise at that time on a morning, so out with my Ferrari and drive to Hull (well to be honest my red Fiesta), another coffee there and had a chat with a girl from the Ukraine, on the station and also listened to wonderful choir, yes at 7-30am, they were great, so down to London and meet the gang and to Billy.
A wonderful show as usual, so lets start the wrong way round with the Ensemble their effort they put in and enthusiasm gets the show off to a great start and they work so hard thought, they are a real credit to the show, I must some time, work out how many costume changes they do.
The Ballet Girls(Harton) what an enthusiastic group, I believe new to the show, a real credit to their leader, poor old Billy had to take some stick during Shine.
What can you say about Deka his performance as Jackie is outstanding, to me the best dad I've seen, his expressions in Electricity are brilliant, I hope you stay as dad for a long while, I'll say what Billy says “don't go”.
Ruthie, experience in show business stands out, a perfect Mrs Wilkinson, the way she supports and sorts Billy throughout the show and the way she says goodbye to Billy is absolutely top class, she seems to gives so much confidence to the Billy's on stage.
Chris Jenkins was Tony and I really enjoyed his performance, Gillian on stage as Grandma, I think appearing all week, a faultless performance as usual. Phil Snowden was Mr Braithwaite and doesn't he do well and also Howard Crossley as George, on top form. Demi gives a gritting performance as Debbie really showing her disgust at playing 2nd fiddle to Billy but she has her eye on him to the end, although mum stands in the way. Zach, what can you say, just a top draw as Michael, he had Ollie in stitches with his antics with the tutu, he blends so well with Ollie in Expressing Yourself.
Well, Ollie your last! a great performance throughout, always a cheerful Billy, I really think his nature comes through in his portrayal of Billy. You had several ladies behind me in tears in the Letter scene, don't worry about the tin of beans “Naah, one will notice”. His Angry Dance was superb so much effort put into it. I really enjoyed his Electricity, to me it is so original and graceful, playing up to his strengths and topped off with a great smile, also I thought his finale dance was great he was so enjoying it on stage, interacting with the audience
I'm going to say this now all the Billy's deserve a big standing ovation, no matter what, to see a 11 to 12 year old work so hard, is brilliant, I had to have this dig, certain people know why, lets leave it at that.
So great memories for the long journey home, I got my Ferrari into the garage just before it turned into a pumpkin at midnight and “A Big Thank You to “All the Cast for another Great Show”

Barry corny joke – A Yorkshire(Tyke) farmer was visited by a Texan farmer...
Texan farmer says, “How big is your farm?
Tyke replies, “See them trees yonder? That's the boundary of my farmland”
Texan says, “Heck, it takes me three days to drive to the boundary of my farm”
Tyke replies, “I had a car like that once”
Bridget40
Tall Boy

Post by Bridget40 »

Thursday 20th (Matinee)

I was also at this show and just wanted to echo a few points that others have already made. Firstly, with regard to attendance. The top circle was open, and I would say that the VPT was more than half full, but I would also say that in the Billy shows I have been too, on various days, and times, it is not as well attended as other big name shows in the West End. This may just be my own experience of course, but I also think that the show is not very well advertised.

Lets get on to the performance itself..... I'm going to throw Deka, Ruthie and Zack into the same bracket. For me they are perfect in their roles. Deka is the only Jackie I have seen, and I've seen the show more than ten times now. He seems to work very hard for the show. If there was, or is an actor more suited to that role..... I would love to see him. I have seen Ruthie in so many West End productions, and have always been a fan. For some reason I really wasn't sure if she would be suited to the role of Mrs W. Could I have been any more wrong. I think she is amazing in every way. Also, whenever she is being interviewed, her love and devotion to show really SHINES. As for Zach, he has played Michael for some time now and there isn't one single thing in his performance that isn't spot on for me.

As for the rest of the cast on Thursday..... They were all very good I thought. Would they be in the show if they were not? Special mention to Gillian as Grandma. One of the good things of viewing the Thursday matinee is that you know you are going to get to see her. I really love her take on Grandma. Yes, Ann Emery owns the role, having done it for so long, but it's nice to see a different portrayal I think . Lets hope Ann can continue for years to come, but if she decides to give the part up, the production will not have to look far for a full time replacement! I also enjoy Chris Jenkins less angry take on Tony. Having said that, he seems to have ramped up the anger with each show I've seen him in. The excellent Chris Grahamson also started off a little less angry than he is now, so perhaps the company want the role played in that way. The new ballet girls looked so young up there, but were also excellent.

Last, but not least......lets get to Ollie! I have written before about how I have a huge soft spot for Ollie. As a Mother myself, he really gets to me in an emotional way. Does that make sense? My friend, seeing the show for the first time, also felt the same way, she loved him. I agree with Barry when he says that his own nature comes through on stage. We could be wrong, but I'm willing to bet a pound to your penny that Ollie is a really nice kid. His Billy is a happy one, but also, for me, a fragile, vunerable one. He has such a lovely smile, but also expressions that can convey various emotions. As does his voice, whether he is talking or singing. Angry dance is not my favourite part of the show, but Thursday was the best I've seen. Ollie gets across Billys anger and frustration so very well. I don't think his dancing is perfect, but again agree with Barry when he says that Ollie he is graceful and plays up to his strengths. He really lets himself go in the finale and you can see how much he is enjoying himself.

All round..... another great show!
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

Ollie is a fine dancer! I have to remind myself that, in the film, Jamie Bell was never an accomplished dancer, which was the whole point: Billy has a dream, but is far from accomplished. There is no doubt that some Billys become, over time, more accomplished dancers than others (especially the older ones) but some of the challenge is for them to dance badly (the same goes for the Ballet Girls). Ollie got it just right on Thursday; the passion in his Angry Dance was palpable.
Bridget40
Tall Boy

Post by Bridget40 »

kport wrote: the passion in his Angry Dance was palpable.
It sure was!

Return to “Reviews - London”