November 2014 Reviews - London

Reviews of the show
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Re: November 2014 Reviews - London

Post by patc »

Thursday 20th November - all day

Well, it’s nice to finally get home and read some great reviews of Thursday matinee. Thanks to one and all. Yes, it was a fabulous afternoon’s entertainment with the indestructible Ollie at the head of affairs backed up by the mercurial Zach with now more than a year and a half of royally entertaining us under his belt.

The other reviewers have covered it but I would just like to add my thoughts on the Letter which was a truly heartbreaking emotional piece of work by the trio of Ollie, Ruthie and Claudia all brought together by the music and sending the watchers scrambling for their tissues.

Matteo was onboard for the evening show and this Letter was even more emotional but only for exceptional reasons. Only fans of the show might have guessed what was going on. I saw most of what followed through already misty eyes. As it came to a conclusion Ruthie walked across, knelt down and put her arms around Matteo and appeared to be gently asking him was he OK to continue. She remained in that position for a while until she was absolutely satisfied that he was able to go on. The care that these Billy boys get is so reassuring. Deka is more or less the “father” of the show, Ruthie looks after them on stage as if they were her own, Barnaby is their “big brother” in Dream Ballet ensuring that their flying is conducted in complete safety and, of course, in the wings, the dedicated chaperones are always on hand. The Billy Elliot family in action.

Matteo continued on and put his heart and soul into an astonishingly powerful Angry Dance and then walked off with that defiant “look” at the audience. Unfortunately, all was not entirely well and he was taken off at the interval as a precaution and we missed out on seeing his stunning Electricity.

It was announced that Ollie would take over and he walked out looking as fresh as the proverbial daisy. Over the next hour or so he didn’t look at all like a boy who had already put in three hours of pulsating, physical and thrilling theatre earlier in the day. What incredible stamina and dedication to the cause they have and Ollie rose magnificently to the occasion.

If it had been possible, it would have been the icing on the cake to have seen Matteo run on at the end and stand shoulder to shoulder with Ollie and receive acclaim for his memorable first half.

I hope Matteo is not too upset about having to go off. As a mere audience member I know what it’s like to be in such bad shape to have to leave during the show - especially when you’re in the front row and making the long walk and people are probably wondering why you are leaving and also right under the noses of the cast on stage. For a lead cast member it must be a much worse feeling not being able to continue. Anyway, I do hope that he will recover quickly and, as Scarlett O’Hara said, “tomorrow is another day” and I look forward to being mesmerised by Matteo’s Billy on another occasion soon.

Pat
Bridget40
Tall Boy

Post by Bridget40 »

I would really like to see Matteo perform at some point. Sorry to hear that he couldn't complete his show last night. Did he hurt himself Pat, or was he feeling unwell? Either way, I hope he feels better soon.
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

Bridget40 wrote:Did he hurt himself Pat, or was he feeling unwell? Either way, I hope he feels better soon.
He wasn't hurt as far as I could see, Bridget. According to the announcement he was just feeling unwell and they decided to take him off as a precaution. I've seen it happen every now and then over all the years. They don't take any chances and always err on the side of caution.

Pat
dancingboy
Billy

Post by dancingboy »

Excellent comments about the Thursday evening show, Pat. I would also like to add my 'thanks' to Ruthie for her motherly instincts when it was clear Matteo was distressed. It was a wonderful touch to console him. He did not look to have suffered any injury, particularly in view of his very noisy and angry Angry Dance, but in any event, I hope that Matteo is fit and well soon.
OliverWaters
Ballet Girl

Post by OliverWaters »

I hope he feels better soon! It is always wise to be overly-cautious, if you try to sing through a poorly throat or dance on a hurt foot, you could do permanent damage - not likely, but still!
Occam's razor: The simplest answer is the most probable.

Oliver's razor: The most boring answer is the most probable.
Katwoman
Small Boy

Post by Katwoman »

Just back from a weekend in which I saw BETM twice. I'm not great at doing long reviews with extended metaphors a la Pat, so will confine myself to a few comments.

On Friday, it was the turn of the latest Billy, Brodie from Blackpool in only his second performance. I had never before seen a Billy so close to the start of his stay with the company, so it was interesting to compare him with some of the more seasoned campaigners. He stood up well to the scrutiny: his accent was excellent, with clear enunciation and stress, his acting was very good and his dancing was super, with a terrific flip off the board at the end of "Electricity". He was ably assisted by Zach, who goes from strength to strength as Michael. In the scenes with Zach, Brodie was openly laughing at Michael's antics, displaying a twinkly smile which was once more in evidence in the finale. I have no doubt that he will go on to be a wonderful Billy. When I told the family sitting next to me that it was his second performance, I don't think they believed me.

On Saturday evening, I saw Olly for the first time. He portrayed a sad, quiet, subdued Billy, who began to come to life when he discovered dancing. His interpretation of "Electricity" was unlike any I have seen before. It was when he got to the lines "It's like that there's a music playing in my ear, and I'm listenin' and I'm listenin', and then I disappear..", he sang very softly with his face full of disbelief and wonderment that he could feel this way. The next lines "And then I feel a change etc" were sung loudly and passionately with an almost fierce expression on his face. It was beautifully done and very moving.

Both nights were just about full houses with appreciative audiences, including the couple "from County Durham" behind me on Saturday. The woman cheered and shouted when George asked if there was anyone from Newcastle at the beginning of Act 2, and couldn't stop laughing at the "lesbian and gay caucus" line.

So, another weekend in Billy's world came to an end. Thanks to all concerned for two fantastic performances.
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

Thursday 27th November – all day

Forget about Black Friday. Yesterday was Golden Thursday at the VPT where I was very fortunate to see another two sensational Billy shows.

Starting with the matinee. Firstly, Matteo has such an endearing voice that if he was recorded just reciting the alphabet and a CD was released it would go straight to Numero Uno. Secondly, all the loyal and genuine fans of the show will be delighted to hear that Matteo bounced back triumphantly in what was a beautifully paced Billy performance, starting off low key, progressing through the Boxing scene, Grandma’s Song, Solidarity and then the first explosion of frustration with Dad, the temporary fun relief with Michael followed by having to observe the spectacle between Dad and Tony, the pain of the Letter (“Don’t go”, once again being the catalyst for waterfalls of tears). More relief in Boogie until all hell broke out in the kitchen. With the last and final frustrating plea of “Me Mam wudda let us” falling on deaf and prejudiced ears there was nowt left to do but vent and, man, did he vent. The feet tapped with a vengeance, the floor shook, the music was relentless and all the agony of rejection and refusal was released and injected into the hearts and minds of we the viewers. Protected from the powerful and measured beat of the batons only by the width of the shields, Matteo danced on defiantly until, exhausted by the intensity of his own exertions, he choreographically consigned his body to the floor whereupon the roars of appreciation raised the roof. The large group of youngsters near the back of the theatre went ballistic as we all took the opportunity to catch our breaths.

When Billy returns after the interval, bearing in mind what has gone on previously, he is remarkably calm and accepting of his plight, dealing with great feeling and respect to both his Dad’s despair and Michael’s longings. Matteo’s handling of these delicate issues was done with extraordinary tact and know-how. Still in gentle mode his Dream Ballet with Barnaby, the quintessential Older Billy, was pure and a delight. From that moment on it is inevitable that everyone will be behind him. The bullying, threatening violence and protest has got nobody anywhere, Gentleness, dignity and respect has won the day. Even the Scab has risked life and limb.

All that was left now was for Billy to strut his stuff at the RBS. “I can’t really explain it” was the signal for hearts to start pounding. I suspect that most people in the audience may have seen an Electricity before on TV, Youtube or Billy Live in cinemas but nothing can compare with seeing it onstage in front of your very own eyes. Matteo gave it all and everything and watching the beauty of it accompanied by Deka’s increasing joy and disbelief as he sees and recognises what his little son is all about is the ultimate feel-good scene ever in theatre.

At the end of this magnificent performance I could hardly wait for Matteo to run back down the aisle, climb the steps and then give him the standing ovation he richly deserved. Watching him beam that infectious smile back to his adoring audience was a Heaven-sent moment.

You’d think that would be enough excitement for one day. Nah, not really.

Last Monday at first light (well, not quite, but you know what I mean) a short trip to my local HMV brought home the Blu-ray Billy Live. By a twist of fate (also known as the Billy Schedule) I had only seen Elliott perform once since that unforgettable performance in the Live dry run on the Saturday. Performing in Billy Live and knowing that it will be out there all over the world ‘til the end of time must be some pinnacle to have reached. Time to relax, take it easy and just mosey along with the flow? Nah, not really. These Billys are made of sterner stuff (and honour and commitment) than that. From 7.30pm onwards we were treated to another breathtaking display of acting, singing and dancing – in lots of ways different to that of Matteo – but, as we have all come to love about this show, done HIS way and equally as effective and memorable. At the end of this magnificent performance, too, I could hardly wait for Elliott to run back down the aisle, climb the steps and then give him the standing ovation he thoroughly deserved. It was another heaven-sent moment.

Elliott’s big dance numbers were sensational and I am so pleased that our friends in the US and all the other countries where the show is revered but who cannot get to London will have the enormous pleasure of seeing the London show with him and this mighty cast.

Talking of the cast I could be wrong but I cannot remember any previous November, certainly in recent years, when nobody from either the adult cast or the Ensemble left. It has to be because they’re so good at it. All of the wonderful characters in the show make you feel you wouldn’t mind living among them (well, so long as you didn’t have to go down the mines or go to boxing) and that is down to not just the writing but the manner in which the cast and Ensemble portray their characters and their brilliance and versatility in so doing.

On the Blu-ray Charlotte Riby is credited as Dance captain for the Ballet Girls. She has done a brilliant job with these fantastic new Ballet Girl teams. Bringing all that precision stuff together takes some doing and some talent. The girls who do the named characters and other verbal interactions with the main cast were very impressive.

The company, as they did with Kyria and Demi, has struck gold again with new Debbie, Connie Fisher, whom I saw for the first time at the matinee. Her Debbie is a feisty treat for audiences and the “Me Mam’s Dead” scene with Matteo was perfectly done with appropriate pause, as you would when you've just put your foot in it.

Todd and Tomi, seen in the matinee and evening respectively, as well as being great dancers have developed individual really funny routines for their tutu scenes. They both handle the tender moments exceedingly well. Their final curtain scene, although done differently expression-wise, leaves the viewer in no doubt about their pain at seeing Billy depart. Based on the discussion in another thread, the purists will be pleased that both stood their ground until the curtain hit the floor. Me, I’m just grateful that the theatre remains dark for those few vital moments before the curtain rises again.

Over all these years instead of becoming immune to all the laughter, drama and tears that make up this wonderful show I am finding myself drawn ever deeper into not just the story unfolding on the stage but the real-life achievements of these truly exceptional, unique and talented Billy boys who work tirelessly to provide us with entertainment of the highest quality. They deserve our highest, utmost and unqualified respect.

As a result of the release of the Blu-ray/DVD will I be decreasing my live visits? Nah, not really.

…and David, you will learn to love the F-A-D :D . They say it’s not what you say but the way you say it that counts and these Billys say it so well :D .

Pat
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

Thanks to our "Poet Laureate" patc, and everyone else who have contributed reviews of the show this month. You all do such a great job of describing the show for those of us who can't get to London to see it "live". We are deeply in your debt for your wonderful writing and for taking the time to share it with all of us.
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Thanks everybody for the wonderful reviews. They are much appreciated by us all.
patc wrote: Talking of the cast I could be wrong but I cannot remember any previous November, certainly in recent years, when nobody from either the adult cast or the Ensemble left.
I wonder if nobody has left as they all want to be involved with the 10th Anniversary show and celebrations? Now all we need is the date that it is going to happen - and hope that us commoners can get a ticket :)
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
Bridget40
Tall Boy

Post by Bridget40 »

Thursday 27th (Matinee)
patc wrote: The large group of youngsters near the back of the theatre went ballistic as we all took the opportunity to catch our breaths.
A very noisy bunch they were as well. I didn't mind though, it's great to see youngsters enjoy the show so much, as long as they aren't disrespectful. I also imagine that it must be nice for the kids on the stage knowing that there are children of a similar age to themselves in attendance, and also having a good time.

It was great to finally get to see Matteo perform! I had been to a previous Billy performance where Matteo was on, but I was on call at work, got called back in, and had to leave my poor friend by herself before the show even started. So, when I saw Matteo's name on the castboard on Thursday I was delighted.

He was more than worth the wait! I could wax lyrical about his 'light the room up smile,' or his graceful dancing, or indeed his beautiful voice. I wont though, I'll just say that I thought he was an amazing Billy! A perfect mix of Elliots confident, cheeky charm Billy, and Ollie's more thoughtful, vunerable one. What an amazing job this company does in finding these kids. I can honestly say that if I went to The VPT tomorrow, I would not mind which of the Billy's was on. Each boy has his own strengths, they all play the same role, and yet make it seem so different and compelling to watch.

Another reason I wanted to see Matteo was so that I could satisfy myself with seeing all the Billy's that have played the part since I first saw the show. Now they have gone and added a new Billy with Brodie. 

I guess it wont hurt to see the show a few more times, will it?  

Return to “Reviews - London”