December 2014 Reviews - London

Reviews of the show
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Re: December 2014 Reviews - London

Post by patc »

Many thanks for those kind words :D but I must reiterate that I would not be able to write a single word were it not for those perpetual purveyors of inspiration and emotional impact, i.e., the geniuses upon and below the stage at the VPT and, in particular, that very rare and originally considered highly improbable but (unlike the legendary and mythical unicorn) now very much fully established and proven existent species known as "Billys".

Pat
Gerardus
Audience Member

Post by Gerardus »

Being very impressed by the DVD of Billy Elliot the Musical - with Elliot Hanna in the lead role - I decided to make a musical trip to London.

I booked three performances in a row. Friday 12/12 & saturday 13/12 mat. and evening.
That way I was sure to see 3 different Billys.

The first two shows:

Friday I had Matteo and Zach for the leading roles.
Saturday matinee I had Ollie and Tomi.

Zach was as good as on the DVD and irresistible funny, but Tomi was also absolutely great.

Both Billys were very good. Certainly their dancing skills were incredible. Both were outstanding in the "angry dance" en "electricity".
Matteo played a somewhat more "happy" Billy, and Ollie was a more "serious" Billy...

The last show:

I was - to be honest - a bit disappointed not reading Elliott Hanna's name on the board but instead Bradley Perret for the lead role.
But... how wrong could I be.

From the very beginning of the show, Bradley showed his incredible acting skills. When he was angry, not only his face looked angry but his whole body did... same when he was happy, sad or disappointed.
Also his singing was excellent.
So he was a excellent actor and singer... but how were his dancing qualities?
One word: breathtaking... I never saw a kid - Billy or not - dancing like him.
After his brilliant "electricity" ... the public gave him an extreme long standing applause.
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

Thanks for sharing your impressions of the three shows you saw, Gerardus. Sounds like you enjoyed yourself :)

But now, since you only got to see three of the current Billys, sounds like you have an excuse to go back and catch shows with the other two :lol: :lol:
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

Thursday 18th December - all day

I don’t really know quite how Eoin Joseph Gerard Morgan, an Irishman, Dublin born and bred, qualifies to be appointed today as the ENGLISH cricket captain for next year’s World Cup. However, it’s a no-brainer to see why Ollie Jochim and Brodie Donougher were appointed as William Elliot, Esquires. Many are called but few are chosen, the few being those who are very plucky special.

But first a word about the wonderful Gillian Elisa. I could be wrong but she seems to have played Grandma in every show for quite some time now. Amazing stamina. And, David Bardsley? Long-time BETM stalwart David gave us an almighty funny George at both shows including what I would call a brilliantly conceived homage to the great Eric Morecambe as his front of curtain act that had the audience howling with mirth, not to mention his own brand of ballet-acting after he has congratulated Billy for getting in. As for the Ballet Girls! Not a wet week in the show, really, but already tuned like a twelve string guitar and nothing out of synch. All three teams. I hope they are enjoying it as much as we are. Judging by their smiles I’m sure they are.

Having seen Brodie’s performance last week for the first time I couldn’t wait to see him do it all again and, as luck would have it, he was on for the matinee. As predicted, the flip off the piano in B2B was sensational. He’d easily have cleared two Routemasters but the wall flip I got wrong. Forget the Moon, we are talking Mars here, at the very least. Has to be seen to be believed and worth the admission money on its own. Cirque du Soleil eat your hearts out. In discussing it afterwards nobody could remember any previous Ballet Billy doing the wall flip - unless YOU know different. But, of course, that’s not all there is to Brodie. Every aspect of the role has been moulded into his being - or should that be the other way around? One way or t’other we fans are most fortunate to be in a position to sit back, watch and be emotionally drawn into not just ‘Wor Billy’s story but also the achievement and further progression of yet another amazing talent. I’m not one to give too much away too early about how a new Billy interprets the role (was seriously reprimanded :D this week, though, by another Forum member after last week – thankfully, he was there yesterday to see for himself) but you’d be wrong to think that all ways of playing Billy have been exhausted when so many have already played it. I don’t know if any of Brodie’s folks were present yesterday but, if they were, they would have left the theatre very proud with the audience cheers ringing in their ears.

I had the honour of seeing Ollie for the evening show which was my last for 2014. The indefatigable Essex boy delivered another of his own-branded X-factor shows with immense authority, confidence and skills and putting us through a maelstrom of varying emotional turbulence before triumphantly and toweringly convincing the assembled RBS audition team that he was the One, not forgetting bringing 1200 people to their feet in the process (as, indeed, had Brodie at the matinee).

Thanks to all the cast and creative and I wish them a Merry and successful Christmas. While the rest of us are lounging around stuffed with turkey leftovers or whatever you’re having yourself, they will be working harder than ever over the festive period with those extra shows. I hope they all have a fantastic time thrilling the thousands of lucky people that will be heading for Swiesea.

The new programme is out this week with all 5 current Billys featured plus some new quality pictures, a stunning centrefold plus the extended and updated Hall of Fame. Another fine production for your collection.

Pat
jmh2014
Tall Boy

Post by jmh2014 »

Saturday 27th Matinee

Ollie/Tomi/Kyria

First time at the VPT to see the show. Sat in row C stalls you get a very close view of the show. I have no other experience to draw upon, but it seemed to take a little while for the audience to get into the show. In expressing yourself you can tell that both Ollie & Tomi are having great fun.

The first wow moment was angry dance. You have to see it live - the dvd does not do it justice. Seeing Ollie's performance up to that point and then the way he explodes - just wow!

Dream ballet was beautiful, although at one point there was so much smoke, it was like watching it through fog. Electricity was everything you would expect.

A thoroughly enjoyable first show.
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

The first show always is one you'll always cherish and your first Billy (Ollie in your case), no matter how many others you see in your lifetime, will always have a little extra special place in your heart.

I'm glad you had a good first experience. Thanks for sharing it with us.
Bridget40
Tall Boy

Post by Bridget40 »

jmh2014 wrote:Saturday 27th Matinee

Ollie/Tomi/Kyria

First time at the VPT to see the show. Sat in row C stalls you get a very close view of the show. I have no other experience to draw upon, but it seemed to take a little while for the audience to get into the show. In expressing yourself you can tell that both Ollie & Tomi are having great fun.

The first wow moment was angry dance. You have to see it live - the dvd does not do it justice. Seeing Ollie's performance up to that point and then the way he explodes - just wow!

Dream ballet was beautiful, although at one point there was so much smoke, it was like watching it through fog. Electricity was everything you would expect.

A thoroughly enjoyable first show.
Each show is different, and so is each audience. Some are quiet, others noisy, it's just the way theatre is!

I agree about Ollie..... His angry dance really is something!
Westletonion
Miner

Post by Westletonion »

Both shows Saturday 27th December

In the absence of our wordsmith (and cryptographer) from Ireland it has fallen to my lot to do a short review of yesterday's shows.
As it is Christmas I shall just jump around and I hope you will forgive some poetic licence.

It was a bitterly cold and raw day in London yesterday although the huge throngs of people had not been deterred; weather; train problems, whatever. And only excessively high air fares prevented the ultra Billy enthusiasts from coming.

So, on this the third day of Christmas I was not surprised that Bradley had a day off - after all he had to take care of his Three French Hens. A treat at the matinee with Ollie and his clearly anunciated lines but, boy that Angry Dance ensured that there wasn't a sleeping partridge in any pear tree south of the Watford Gap. David Bardsley was Dad (at both shows) and I am always appreciative of his portrayal of the role and his more subtle approach, including when he plays George. Having said that Howard Crossley is to be congratulated of course as he is now one of Two Turtle Doves. The theatre was very full and the audience at the matinee were much livelier than at the evening show. Only problem at the matinee was when the young lass sitting next to me allowed her bright yellow iphone to ring obtrusively right in the middle of Angry Dance.
At the conclusion, and perhaps not exactly tactfully, I upbraided her by informing her that I had better expectations of what 'Five Golden Rings' mean. Both shows went without a hitch and the whole cast were 'on fire' but particularly so for the evening performance. It is always interesting for me to observe how different two show on the same day can be. The ballet girls were magnificent and 'Eleven Ladies Dancing' were a wonderful bonus of two.

For the evening performance is was only the second time I had seen Brodie. What an amazing sure footed young athlete he is to be sure.
His Electricity is an extraordinary mixture of ballet and street and he ends with a sensational wall flip. The supersensible atmosphere of this must have radiated up the road to our supreme legislature as I am sure there were 'ten Lords a leaping' around the House of Lords.
Well 'six geese a laying' have certainly laid six wonderful golden eggs in the form of Ollie, Tomi and Kyria at the matinee and Brodie, Zach and Connie at the evening show.

Upon my cryptographer friend's recommendation I bought the new programme and agree it is excellent. There was an insert featuring Gillian Elisa as Grandma, so I am wondering whether this indicates that Ann has gone, or about to go, into retirement.
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

Well, Westletonion, I've waited a wery long time for this but it was well worth the wait :D.

Thanks for your brilliantly conceived review of what were obviously two great shows and which whets the appetite for 2015 just around the corner.
At the conclusion, and perhaps not exactly tactfully,
On this occasion you are fully forgiven, ROFL :D .

Pat
Westletonion
Miner

Post by Westletonion »

Thank you my most learned friend.

Return to “Reviews - London”