January 2015 Reviews - London

Reviews of the show
Bridget40
Tall Boy

January 2015 Reviews - London

Post by Bridget40 »

Thursday evening January 1st.....

I'm suffering from one of my bouts of insomnia at the moment. :shock: So I thought I would take the opportunity to write a quick review of the first Billy show of 2015.

For me, Deka Walmsley is so good in the role of Jackie Elliot that I sometimes forget that I am watching an actor performing a part. In fact, so powerful do I find his performance as Billy's Dad, that when I watch him, I find it very difficult to imagine anyone else playing the part.

How then does another actor fill in for him when he is absent? For the answer to that question, all you have to do is catch a show on one of Deka's rare nights off, when his alternate, David Bardsley plays Dad. David really puts his own stamp on it, and changes the dynamic completely. His Jackie is a more gentle, sympathetic, and also a more comedic one. He had me, and others laughing away at his unique comedy timing, but also moved at times also. I thought he was absolutely brilliant!

We asked at the box office before the show if Ann Emery has left the production? (Is it just me, or do the front of house team at the VPT seem a little unfriendly at times?)They weren't very forthcoming with an answer, so maybe she might return? If not, I'm happy that Gillian appears to have been given the role of Grandma, and after another fantastic show from her last night, she deserves it.

All round, it was a fantastic show, but not without a few mistakes! The most glaring one was when the button for one of the pre-recorded voice parts was pushed to early, about twenty seconds to early to be exact! It was the part where Tony climbs up onto the gate of the miners cage to stop his Dad from breaking the picket line. When he turns his back you get that screeching pre-recorded "Daaaaaaddddd." Well, we got it twice last night! :lol: These are minor complaints though, in what was an otherwise great Billy performance. The rest of "Born to boogie" was fantastic. (Perfect skipping :P ) Brodie's Electricity is really something, and the wall flip is a real crowd pleaser.

All in all...... A great way to start the New year.
jmh2014
Tall Boy

Re: January 2015 Reviews - London

Post by jmh2014 »

Friday 2nd Jan

Matinee Ollie/Zach/Connie
Evening Bradley/Tomi/Demi

Two more stunning performances yesterday. A very assured performance from Ollie. I don’t know how he does it, but his performance is the one that stirs my emotions the most. First time I’ve seen Zach live and he was on top form. His dancing during MCMT is hilarious. I like the way Connie plays with her hair whilst talking to Billy, makes the scene so natural.

Bradley was on duty in the evening and we were treated to another masterpiece. His interactions and reactions to each cast member adds so much more depth to the show.

David Bardsley was on duty as Dad for both shows and plays the role with a slightly softer touch than Deka. Ruthie, Chris and the rest of the cast were on cracking form.

For both shows the audience held off the applause until the curtain had almost fallen thus allowing both Zach and Tomi to let their emotions play out in silence.

During Ollie’s letter reprise a young child in the row behind could quite clearly be heard saying “Why are you crying Mummy. Please stop”
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

Saturday 3rd January – all day

Five hours (including 90 minutes on the aircraft) at a fog-besotted Gatwick would blur the memory of most things – but not BETM. I just put my head back, closed the old eyes and thought of (no, not England nor Ireland for that matter) but two Billys and a fillét (of delectable salmon in Prezzos). So much to recall with the utmost pleasure.

A few weeks ago David Bardsley was warming our hearts with his distinctive interpretation of George but on Saturday he treated us to another of his wonderful and unique creations, namely, Jackie Elliot, so very effective and moving.

Chris Grahamson continues to very skilfully balance his Tony’s hot-headedness, frustration and stubbornness in adversity with his natural love for his younger bro. His final brief scene with Billy just before he leaves for London makes up for all that went on before. Billy, of course, is a very forgiving soul and doesn’t hold grudges.

The charming and delightful Gillian Elisa showed us (as if we didn’t know already) why she was recently chosen to be the lead Grandma.

Ruthie is sensational as Mrs. W. I am a huge fan of her interpretation and her final scene with Billy tears me apart every time.

Howard’s George always makes me laugh aloud yet, when he comes in with the news of the end of the strike, his face and demeanour espouses his shock and disappointment BUT, a few moments later, he can set all that aside for Billy’s sake. A man for all seasons.

David Muscat may well have been the first alternate Mr. B to take over eventually as the lead Mr. B at the VPT but it was clearly thoroughly deserved. Not only is he perfect for the role but whenever he is on stage even as an “extra” he is involved by way of facial expression or eye movement. The audience is intrigued by the fact that the big man (“too fat”, he tells Mrs. W in B2B) can dance, split and skip but the gasps come when he does the somersault. Both audiences on Saturday loved him for it.

Barnaby, of course, was born to play Older Billy and he danced two Dream Ballet beauties with his respective Billys followed by expert precision flying. Whoever invented the pendulum never foresaw this.

Claudia, as always, is the perfect Dead Mum, flitting in and out of important and heart rending scenes with gentleness and inspiring her Billy. “Me Mam would have let us” is a true statement of fact.

Connie and Demi never ever give less than 100% in their pursuit of "imperfection" in their stage character and gave us all a laugh or two as well. They made the climbing of the toilet wall look so relatively easy it makes you wonder why it was previously dropped. Perhaps, elf 'n' safety finally came to their senses?

Small Boys, Billy and Liam and Tall Boy Fred also gave their all whilst clearly thoroughly enjoying being part of such a big show. Let us hope that, like others before them, it will be a stepping stone to great things.

The Ensemble members were all on top form and the smaller character parts were superbly played, such as Wendy Somerville as the RBS Receptionist, David Stoller as Posh Dad/Scab, Alan Mehdizadeh as Big Davey and, on this occasion, Lee Hoy as the Dancer from Essex.

The Ballet Girls are just buzzing and bursting with flair, energy and excitement. It would be impossible for me to say for sure that their routines in Shine and Solidarity change over time. There is way too much going on to keep tabs on it all as they whisk themselves around at Mrs. W’s bidding and often without. Amidst all the chaotic but carefully planned choreography I spotted for the first time (in the background in Shine, I think it was but not certain) the smallest girl (in yellow) forming a kind of running chain dance with the others whilst holding a chair in front of her all the way. In Solidarity the girls holding the helmets mid-song did a backs-to-the-audience top down shimmy with the helmets before turning around to place them on their ultimate destination. It was all magnificent stuff.

Every note of the music (both shows conducted by Chris Hatt) means something and it all stands on its own as well – like the very best film soundtracks.

Now, let me see, who else was there? Only joking :D .

My last two shows before Christmas were led by Brodie and Ollie. For my first two shows for 2015 it was Ollie and Brodie. During their busy-with-extra-shows holiday season they both took the opportunity to take giant leaps forward to a breathtaking level of excellence that had virtually full house audiences going interstellar. Those of us who attend regularly should, at this stage, be used to it all but no, it is impossible to be. Every one of them that comes along brings something different, fresh and exciting to the role.

The matinee (Ollie) version of Angry Dance had a strikingly different-sounding opening musical session that bubbled and sizzled. I almost felt the need to leap from my seat and do a spot of tap. (No, Barry, it didn’t happen). The music for Brodie’s Electricity seemed to have a mid-session phrase doubled (or was it trebled?) to fit his extravaganza. I promise you that it was a still water I partook of at Prezzos. In any event both Angry’s and Electricity’s were absolutely stunning to watch and be enthralled with. The satisfaction for Ollie and Brodie on completion of such megadancery must have been immense especially when they knew that 1.5K pairs of disbelieving eyes had just been witness to it. Neither Billy hung around long after AD – just walked off which may be the new trend, who knows.
jmh2014 wrote:For both shows the audience held off the applause until the curtain had almost fallen thus allowing both Zach and Tomi to let their emotions play out in silence.
It was the same at both Saturday shows. And also after Michael’s exit from the Winter scene. With the usual (clapper) suspects missing, those really poignant moments with their beautiful accompanying music were allowed to run to their conclusion in respectful silence. Both Michaels, Tomi and Zach had, in turn, already demonstrated their superb comedic and poignancy skills throughout the show and they revelled in this. (I must not forget to mention both their tutu scenes which were a riot of fun).

So, 2015 starts off as 2014 finished. Unrivalled entertainment, a riveting story all the way with the brilliantly staged Finale to follow. After performing all those extra shows during the week-that-was there was nary a sign of fatigue among the cast at either show. I know it’s their life and they do it because they love it but to keep this standard going night after night requires some dedication. I am looking forward so much to watching it as often as possible as there is nothing else on stage or on the big or small screens that comes even close to doing what this show does for my heart and soul. I suppose the Billy boys are too young now to really understand how that can be but someday they will. And, believe it or not, you CAN relive it all again in the mind with both admiration and emotion even sitting at an airport where your aircraft might not be going anywhere anytime soon.

Pat
jmh2014
Tall Boy

Post by jmh2014 »

Neither Billy hung around long after AD – just walked off which may be the new trend, who knows.

Ollie left quickly after AD on Friday, but Bradley took his time getting up. So much so that most of the audience had stopped clapping before he left the stage and then started again when the curtain came down.
OliverWaters
Ballet Girl

Post by OliverWaters »

jmh2014 wrote:Ollie left quickly after AD on Friday, but Bradley took his time getting up. So much so that most of the audience had stopped clapping before he left the stage and then started again when the curtain came down.
Maybe Ollie was desperate for a pee, and Bradley hurt himself?
Occam's razor: The simplest answer is the most probable.

Oliver's razor: The most boring answer is the most probable.
Barry Appleby
George

Post by Barry Appleby »

CHEERS & THANKS everyone for your remarks and reviews for over the New Year, they are so appreciated.
Oh! by the way Pat, I wouldn't object to you doing a bit of tap, why not, in Expressing Yourself, just wear your shorts, naaw!! maybe not.
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

I think you may have invented a new word, Pat "megadancery" :)

Thanks everybody for the great reviews. What a fantastic start to 2015.

Keep 'em coming.
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
dancingboy
Billy

Post by dancingboy »

Monday 5 and Tuesday 6 January

On Monday afternoon I had the sad task of attending the funeral of a neighbour who had died recently, but I knew that my mood would change in the evening since I had a ticket for BETM and my sadness at the afternoon events were soon overtaken by watching the show. Billy was played by Bradley, now only some two shows behind Elliott in the number of appearances. The whole show was lively, with an appreciative audience looking on and I am sure they were as impressed as I was with Bradley's dancing. One thing I always look for during the dance sequences is timing and Bradley's was excellent throughout. In particular the Dream Ballet duet was very good to watch.
Although Bradley's version of Electricity has not been my ' cup of tea' I have to admit that this too was performed in sync with the music and the Street moves, combined with Bradley's acrobatics, were still carried out at speed. He received a well-earned ovation after the number.
On Tuesday it was Elliott's chance to entertain and this he did, in spades. I think this was only the second time I have seen Elliott since The Live Show. From a dancing viewpoint this was a pretty flawless performance from Elliott and it was all that you could wish for in Angry Dance, Dream Ballet and Electricity. Liverpool's Cheeky Chappie, with his mischievous smile never far away, wowed the audience from start to finish.
This week Tony is being played by Chris Jenkins and, although this was not the first time I have seen him in the role, I have to say that I was very impressed with his performances. On Tuesday Mr Braithwaite was played by Phil Snowden. As you would expect there are some subtle differences in the way each plays the role to those who normally do, but they were both very good to watch.
Finally, I must say a few words about that ultra professional Ruthie Henshall. She is a superb Mrs Wilkinson and I love the rapport she has, not only with the Billys, but also the Ballet Girls too. She is just what I imagine a Dance Teacher to be like.
So, two days, two shows, both of which put a smile on my face and were a good way to start the New Year. `
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

Thursday Matinee – 8th January

Stephen Daldry says of Elliott Hanna:

………..and, in any language, you don’t have to be a genius among the hundreds of thousands who have seen him perform at the VPT or the millions worldwide in Cinemas and on DVD/Blu-ray to discover that this is exceedingly true.

Yesterday, the occupants of the majestic interior of the VPT were the latest witnesses to this worldwide phenomenon so you can imagine what their feelings were as the curtain finally came down having had all their emotions and senses given a full working over. As one who has seen the cool, calm and collected Merseysider extraordinaire display his magic many times before (but not nearly often enough since that never-to-be-forgotten “dry run” of “Billy Live”) it was such a pleasure to be among them and to see and hear their reactions.

Providing excellent peer-to-peer support we had Todd and Kyria in cracking form. Unfortunately, we again had that idiot sometimes-Thursday-matinee clapper in the audience who inappropriately interrupted all the quieter moments even to the extent of loudly “whooping” as Todd was exiting the Winter scene having so skilfully transformed from his hilarious bit-o’-ballet session to the silence and sadness of reluctant departure. Same at the final curtain scene but Todd, nevertheless, did is stuff in his unique fashion with absolute excellence.

Alternates Wendy Somerville (Mrs. W) and Chris Jenkins (Tony) eminently played their roles, fitting in like gloves and demonstrating the strength and depth of talent present for all occasions. Spencer Cartwright took over as Big Davey as well as contributing his usual Deep into the Ground one-liner, one that will always be singularly associated with him. Lucinda Collins was the RBS Receptionist. She plays it in a different way preferring the more staid and bemused, and perhaps, posher (or should that be more posh) character but it works wonderfully well and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

My thanks to Elliott, that “amazing chap” as Mr. Daldry describes him, and his fellow thespians for providing another afternoon of the best in town.

Following last week’s flight home delay due to fog at Gatwick, last night’s flight home was somewhat different. With a big windstorm in full flow and Dublin airport’s operations having been temporarily suspended for a period due to severe crosswinds, the final approach to landing was full of drama and mindblowing wing-rocking-and-rolling all conducted in a deafening silence until, thankfully, in what was an absolute greaser of a touchdown, we arrived safely back on terra firma. A clapper (a welcome one on this occasion) somewhere up front decided that applause was due and everyone joined in followed by the loud chitter-chatter buzz of very relieved passengers . It was only on exiting the Arrivals area and seeing loads of diversions (I was told to Shannon, Belfast and even Cardiff in Wales) showing on the Board that I saw how lucky we had been.

So, two rollercoaster rides in one day. There’s no doubting which one I preferred, whatever language you speak.

Pat
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

Thursday Matinee 15th January

The weather outside is frightful but inside the VPT it was delightful. Bradley Perret was our hero in the hot seat today and the warmth quickly spread all around the theatre. In his early Billy days Bradley concentrated on getting all of the basics right and setting a solid foundation upon which he subsequently carefully constructed a Billy portrayal that over the past several months has evolved into one of monumental proportions.

This consummate professional has a complete understanding of the role, how to pace it and the necessary skills to deliver in abundance. If there is such a thing as perfection then this was it. His acting is now in the Olivier territory whether it be in the lighter scenes, the poignant scenes or those requiring passion and intensity but he never goes over the top. He is always in full control. He is running the show. His singing voice is still as good as new and as for the dancing, well, this was something else.

We got an early glimpse during Expressing when he and the magnificently effervescent Tomi Fry put on a cracking bit o’ tap with both of them in complete unison as if being operated by the same puppeteer. Not as much as an eyelash out of step. Angry Dance took it all a big step further, the word, “powerhouse” springs to mind and the street Electricity, with every single note of the music twinned with a singular movement of body was a triumphant masterpiece.

Bradley’s control of the spinning chair in Dream Ballet has to be seen to be believed. Add in amazing poetically performed precision moves with the Supremo of the Smoke, Barnaby, and you have that word again, perfection.

Sometimes, something happens during the show and you might think it would be a good idea to keep it in. Such a thing happened this afternoon. As Tomi called Bradley back for the tender Winter scene and they were standing facing each other, Sindy was seen to fall to the floor. Both boys continued as usual without batting an eyelid but, at the conclusion of that scene, Bradley bent down, picked her up and handed her back to Tomi. Now, the way I’m telling it doesn’t at all convey the feelings evoked by this simple act. It was the way that Bradley did it and the timing of it that was important in that it reinforced the belief that Billy understood and was standing by his friend. You’d really have had to have been there to understand what I’m trying to say.

Connie has been with show only about a couple of months but she has already stamped her mark on the role of Debbie in double quick time. Although slight of build she has great stage presence and performed all her scenes with aplomb epitomised by the beautifully timed and acted cut and thrust of the Toilet scene.

Natural born comedian Tomi had a field day displaying his range of talents. On top of the aforementioned Expressing there was no shortage of laughs in the tutu scene which he milked to the full using his expressive eyes. Those eyes were very much to the fore again as Billy disappeared over the horizon.

Wonderful Wendy was on again as Mrs. W and her developing rapport with Bradley as the story moved along was eloquently in evidence.

Sweet-voiced Charlie Martin stood in perfectly as Dead Mum and the versatile Craig Armstrong took time off from his other duties to play Big Davey.

As 2015 gets under way it is clear that the show, post Billy-Live, is as fresh as ever. It’s penchant for unearthing the most amazingly talented Billys, for twisting and turning all human emotions all over the place remains, not just for ebullient fans but for the wider theatre public as was evidenced by the fact that loadsa people were already on their feet before Bradley, scampering back down the aisle at the end, had even reached Row M. I’m willing to bet that the majority were consulting their diaries and pencilling in another visit on their way home. My pencil needs new lead.

Pat

Return to “Reviews - London”