February 2015 Reviews

Reviews of the show
jmh2014
Tall Boy

Re: February 2015 Reviews

Post by jmh2014 »

February 28th

It was Matteo & Brodie’s turn to lead us through Billy’s story, able assisted by the terrifically talented twosome of Todd & Tomi and supported by Kyria, Connie, Deka, Ruthie, Chris et al.

The ensemble was light on numbers and as such the vocals suffered slightly during the big numbers. Also, Brodie didn’t get to fly during Dream Ballet. These minor gripes aside it was another sumptuous feast of entertainment.

First time I’ve seen Matteo. It would be impossible to remember and list all the different nuances that make his performance unique. One example, when Dad and Tony are celebrating his acceptance to the RBS, he gets up and jumps in the air too.

He will not be rushed, lines are delivered when he wants to, pauses where you don’t expect them which extract different performances from those around him. I would need to see him again, but I’m fairly sure the first couple of lines to Electricity have been slowed down slightly to accommodate his style.
patc wrote: They will need just one stunt man – Brodie. The almost 1500 jaws present at the VPT were left floundering on the floor at the conclusion of a quite unbelievable ballet Electricity. Before the final spins he performed three somersaults each gaining extra height on the previous one. A fourth would have landed him in the Dress Circle boxes.
Matteo performed the same somersaults. No wall flip, but boy can he spin. So many and so quick he is like a mini tornado. An ovation ensued eliciting a smile which only prolonged the ovation.

Brodie's performance was as good as in Pat's review for Thursday. He was also responsible for making Ruthie completely losing her way during Solidarity. Stood behind her, he shouted "what do I do" so loudly you could see her flinch slightly. Her next couple of lines were replaced with just one word "Solidarity"

Both Deka & Chris ended up sprawled on the floor during "He could be a star." They both stayed on their feet in the evening.

Tomi and Todd provided their usual blend of comedy with get wrenching emotion.

The ballet girls continue to take every opportunity to dish out as much punishment to Billy as they can. Their facial expressions really are wonderful.

David Bardsley filled in as George and played a slightly softer boxing coach.

Deka's words at the end are spot on and the use of small boy - genius.

Despite providing two different performances, Matteo & Brodie (as well as Ollie, Elliott & Bradley) all convey one common trait - they are having the time of their lives.
MsRF
Small Boy

Post by MsRF »

Slightly off topic, but if you don't mind me asking, what happens when the Billys can't do the flying sequence? Does the dance end there, or do they do a modified version on the floor?
jmh2014
Tall Boy

Post by jmh2014 »

In this case they walked round as normal as if the cable was to be connected, but went straight to the end section when Billy has been lowered back down.

Return to “Reviews - London”