April 2015 reviews - London

Reviews of the show
dancingboy
Billy

Re: April 2015 reviews - London

Post by dancingboy »

I can confirm that the Happy Clapper was in attendance at the Thursday matinee and the clapping in the most inappropriate places was very annoying.
dancingboy
Billy

Post by dancingboy »

Monday 20 April

Historically there have been a number of famous Thomas's. Thomas a Becket, Thomas Cromwell, Thomas Edison, Thomas Crapper, Dylan Thomas, the Rev Awdry's Thomas the Tank Engine, to name but a few. Maybe Master Hazelby will become famous too. We shall see.

Last night Thomas ( Hazelby) reminded me of Thomas the Tank Engine as he huffed and puffed with great energy and enthusiasm around the stage. This might have been my third show with Thomas and you can clearly see already the improvement and strength in his performances. I particularly liked his acting, especially for one so young, as he spoke his lines in a clear voice, many a time in a quite deliberate manner, giving the effect that he is actually thinking about what he is saying.

The first half ended with a fiesty, noisy Angry Dance, which showed off his tap dancing skills and which led to some sustained applause from the appreciative audience. Thomas then showed off his ballet skills in Dream Ballet ( with Lee Hoy) and Electricity. There was a slight hiccup during Dream Ballet when Thomas and Lee 'lost themselves', momentarily, but this was soon rectified, whilst Thomas's Electricity was somewhat fast and furious, particularly at the end, with the spins and pirouettes, but these were certainly executed with some skill.

Tomi played best friend Michael in his customary 'camp' style, whilst Demi gave her usual gruff performance as the 'put upon' Debbie.

David Bardsley is currently playing George and he is always good to see in this role. In the Front of Curtain scene, to start the second half, David, as usual, asked the audience if there was anyone here from Newcastle upon Tyne. One lonely voice, from somewhere near the front stalls, said 'Yes'. 'Just the One', said David, followed by ' Thanks for coming'. David then continued with the rest of the usual script. To me, this scene is funnier with David playing George.

Overall a very enjoyable show, led by Master Hazelby, who fully deserved the standing ovation he received at the end of the show.
I sincerely hope that those Forum members from Across the Pond who are here in May get the chance to see Thomas. You are in for a treat.
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

Great stuff, John, thanks.

There's no doubting Thomas is another magnificent recruit by the BE company.

Pat
dancingboy
Billy

Post by dancingboy »

patc wrote:Great stuff, John, thanks.

There's no doubting Thomas is another magnificent recruit by the BE company.

Pat
I think the BE scouting system is better than any Football Club's.
theatrix15
Audience Member

Post by theatrix15 »

I had the opportunity to watch two shows during this week, so two reviews...

Monday, 20 April 2015: Thomas / Tomi / Demi

This was my third show with Thomas as Billy, and he continues to impress. He's already come a long way, and you can see him developing the acting and singing with every show. Ruthie was top notch, Deka and Chris their usual powerful selves and a great show overall. David Muscat is still hilarious as Mr B, and I will be sad to see him finish up on 16 May. I love Tomi's portrayal of Michael and he got big laughs in his scene before Dream ballet.

I sat in seat E1 in Stalls and I have never been that far out, you do miss action on the side of the stage, but it's still a bargain for the price. That said, the sound is nowhere near as good, in fact at times I was straining to hear both Ruthie and Thomas - it felt like their mics weren't fully turned on at some points.

I took a friend to see the show (her first time), and she was blown away by the performances, the gripping raw storyline (she's from the north of England, so could relate far more than I can!) and the entire production. She and I work for the same (rather driven, at times terrifying) lady at work who's had a lot of success at a young age. My friend's comment was - we think what our boss has done is amazing. No, what ten year old Thomas Hazelby has done at his young age - that's amazing. A real new perspective for me, and how very true.

The audience were great, really into it from the start, and standing ovations at the end for the entire cast. I would say the VPT was at about 90% in Stalls and Dress Circle - couldn't tell about Grand Circle, which is always pleasing to see.

Thursday evening, 23 April 2015: Bradley / Todd / Connie

This one is fresher in my mind so a few more details. I had only seen Bradley once, back in December 2014 from Row P of the stalls, and have been keen ever since to see him as Billy again, and from a better seat. Many many attempts later, I was finally rewarded with Bradley walking out with Deka during The Stars Look Down (cue mini celebration from me in my seat in Row C of stalls). Now I remembered BRadley did a fantastic street Electricity the last time, but he totally blew me away yesterday. Highlights:

- his singing voice is just beautiful, right from the opening notes of 'Raise me up...'

- he acts so so well, he delivers a really mature performance as Billy, which I guess comes naturally after having done it so many times.

- Shine was fantastic, with Ruthie's voice more audible than Monday (being closer to the speakers probably helped) - the ballet girls really do enjoy ushing Billy around during this number, it's great fun to watch

- Noticed no Barnaby Meredith during Grandma's song (he wasn't around on Monday either) which meant Lee Hoy would probably be Older bIlly (I never look to see which understudies are on) - Gillian seems to be having the time of her life in this role, and she's also really making it her own - Ann Emery is a hard act to follow of course.

- Solidarity is another number that is so much fun to watch when you've seen the show a few times, to really pick up on the amount of action that takes place, that first-time watchers would miss. Bradley's ballet steps are a treat even though he is still meant to be 'learning'. Mr Braithwaite has stopped the 'Oh Jesus' reaction (when he pops back in after Dad's exit) and sees the ballet girl behind the door - noticed it in the last few performances, not sure why.

- Todd and Bradley did a great Express yourself - these two really seem to have a great chemistry, and seem very comfortable on stage together.

- I was in tears during The Letter, and all thanks to Bradley. He puts so much emotion into it, and on Thursday was visibly shaking during parts of it. That cannot be easy for a young 12/13 year old, even if it's 'just' acting. His 'don't go' is heartbreaking.

- During Boogie, I was really looking forward to Bradley's skipping, but after three skips, the handle broke off one end of the rope, and he was left clutching onto a defunct rope ... a quick glance into the wings, and he continued to dance in time with the rope quickly rolled up into his hand, while Ruthie and David M continued skipping (and Ruthie called him a loser) ... great flip off the piano. What a pro - if I were in his place and that rope broke, I wouldn't have known what to do...

- Bradley's reaction to Connie's offer in the next scene is brilliant, he really does take his time over it!

- Bradley's Angry Dance on Thursday was possibly the most raw, yet most mature, I have ever seen. He gave it his all, you could see he clearly enjoys the number because he can let loose, in a controlled sort of way, and on Thursday, it left the audience breathless and on their feet.

- I was looking forward to seeing Bradley in Dream Ballet and he did not disappoint. I do think that Barnaby is a much more natural ballet dancer than Lee, some of Lee's movements seem more forced than Barnaby't but then I couldn't dance a step, so must stop being such a critic. The last bit where he whirls Billy round and up was a bit off, which meant that not only was Bradley rotating as he was pulled up, but was also being rocked about. He looked just a tad unsteady when back on his feet (don't blame him!) but recovered nicely.

- I always wonder if Deka is wearing a padded jacket during 'He Could Be a star', because Chris G is not at all gentle while shoving him back. I do wince every time that scene takes place, I do think Chris overdoes it a bit... never seen Chris J understudy Tony, so not sure how he plays it.

- The RBS receptionist continues to show solidarity with the miners, rather than flirt with Dad, which I do think I prefer. A good change.

- Electricity - WOW. I was so engrossed in the show, I forgot that it would be a Street Electricity (only the second time I have seen it). Bradley is PHENOMENAL, the audience could not believe their eyes as he tumbled and cartwheeled and wall flipped his way through the number. It was incredible, I am considering going to the VPT every night to see when he is on next, just to see him dance this number again (though that would mean looking at the board in advance, which I don't typically do, but for this, I would).

- Ruthie seems to have changed up her goodbye scene - she seems a bit firmer when telling Billy he is really 'f***ing' special, and only tears up when he wishes her lcuk. Previous shows I have seen, her voice was already shaking halfway into the scene. Not sure I like the change...

- Once we were kings was great - I love the way Billy leaps into Dad's arms, and Bradley almost knocked Deka over !

- Todd held his ground with the bicycle until the curtain hit the ground, though the trigger happy audience were already applauding (sigh).

- A great upbeat closing number which I absolutely love. The audience were on their feet again, giving the company and Bradley a well deserved standing ovation. I must say, I get rather cross with shows where the audience are encouraged to get on their feet to dance to a closing number (Mamma Mia, The Commitments, there must be more), which results in a de-facto, yet artificially created, standing O. It's so much more deserved, when an audience stands up at the end, of their own accord as they do for BETM (and long may they continue to do so).

A word (well, a paragraph) on the audience on Thursday evening - we had talkers (to my right), who wouldn't stop despite several 'looks', we had phone users (Facebook - really?) to my right - no hesitation to reach into their bags, rustle about to pick up a phone, and then check facebook, eaters (rustling away during poignant parts of the show), not even trying to be quiet about it. I don't get it. When you pay a lot of money to come to the theatre, why not immerse yourself in it and not ruin it for others? Rant over :)

I'm back next week, hope to see another great show :)
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Thank you Pat, dancingboy, theatrix15 and jmh2014 for the wonderful reviews.

They have whetted my appetite for when I arrive in London the week after next.

Keep 'em coming :)
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
jmh2014
Tall Boy

Post by jmh2014 »

April 25th - Bradley/Tomi/Demi

It was seniors day for the matinee - in so far as the current longest serving Billy, Michael & Debbie were performing. Phil Snowden stood in for Mr B and we had Lee Hoy as Billy's older self.

My sister was seeing the show for the first time and these were her comments.

First she loved the show. Knowing the subject matter and having seen the film, the aspect that really surprised her was the humour. For her, the star of the show was Tomi, with Expressing being her own personal highlight. The continual emotional rollercoaster was also a surprise citing Once We Were Kings and and Tomi's final longing look as heart-breaking.

There was a nasty moment for young Liam as SB. Just before Deka got up to sing Deep into the Ground, his legs got tangled in the microphone cable and he tripped over. He looked a little shocked as he got up but was soon laughing and smiling with Deka and back to normal when cheering for "Big Spender"

I have never seen anyone kick the toilet as hard as Bradley did during Angry Dance. You could see it move as he kicked the side. As for the rest of his performance - pure class.

A near full house delivered the thoroughly deserved standing ovation at the end. Big thanks to all involved for another three hours of wonderful entertainment.
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Thanks for another great review
jmh2014 wrote:I have never seen anyone kick the toilet as hard as Bradley did during Angry Dance.
Reading that reminded me of the time Corey Snide kicked it so hard that it literally collapsed around him and was "out of order" for a few days :) :) :)
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
dancingboy
Billy

Post by dancingboy »

Tuesday 28 April

There's Nowt Better Than Live Theatre

Due to technical problems during the show it didn't finish until almost 10.40pm.

Firstly, during Dream Ballet it seemed to me that the High Wire failed to descend, but, in any event, the show was stopped for a couple of minutes. After the delay, however, there was 'no flying tonight' for Ollie, as he and Barnaby simply finished off Dream Ballet with their final steps across the stage.

Secondly, after Ollie took the RBS Letter and sat on the bed, there was an enormous cracking sound, certainly as though something had broken. Whilst other cast members were ushered off stage, however, Ollie remained very calm and with his usual sunny disposition, simply continued to stay on the bed, laughing, until the Safety Curtain descended. The delay this time must have been about seven or eight minutes, after which the scene continued with Ollie standing up, with the letter, but with no sign of the bed/kitchen apparatus.

Despite the late finish Finale did take place, although the show finished at the Chair Lift without any second Curtain Call.

It appears, from the last three shows I have seen, that there has been a change made during the Boxing scene, at the beginning of the show. We have been used to seeing Michael hit George's gloves when prompted to ' Give us a left...and a right...', but now it is George who hits the gloves of Michael, before Michael hits George 'below the belt'. It looks, therefore, as though this might be a permanent feature now.
jmh2014
Tall Boy

Post by jmh2014 »

dancingboy wrote:It appears, from the last three shows I have seen, that there has been a change made during the Boxing scene, at the beginning of the show. We have been used to seeing Michael hit George's gloves when prompted to ' Give us a left...and a right...', but now it is George who hits the gloves of Michael, before Michael hits George 'below the belt'. It looks, therefore, as though this might be a permanent feature now.
This went slightly wrong on Saturday when George hit Michael's glove and Michael's glove flew off his hand and ended up on the floor in front of Row A.

Return to “Reviews - London”