July 2015 reviews - London

Reviews of the show
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: July 2015 reviews - London

Post by porschesrule »

Sounds like another superb afternoon of entertainment, Pat. Thanks for your on-going reviews here on the forum. Always so well thought out and written; a complete joy to read. It always puts a smile on my face when I see a review from you in the list of articles for me to peruse since my last visit to the forum. :)
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

That is very kind of you, Gary, thank you. BETM, its performance and performers is such a rich source of inspiration. Had they been alive today I wonder what the great writers of yore might have composed in its honour. Perhaps, that deserves a thread of its own, "What they would have said about BETM"....

Pat
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

Thursday 16th July

There’s always something going on, always something different. They never cease to spring surprises (or surprise packages) at the VPT. Yesterday at both shows it was Ruri James playing Tony, a very powerful and passionate Tony. If it hadn’t been for Brodie (Matinee) and Ollie (evening) he would have stolen both shows. Over the years we’ve seen passionate Tonys but this was altogether different and innovative in the style of acting. He left me totally distraught during the altercation scenes and the “200,000 men” finished me off with Nathan and Todd’s masterfully crafted final curtain scenes still to come.

It was also my first time to see Rachel Bingham play Dead Mum and she pulled it off beautifully. A gorgeous gentle voice and with a beautiful smile for her Billy she was the perfect choice.

On a day of alternates Lee Hoy danced two glorious Dream Ballets with his respective Billys.

Charismatic Debbies, Kyria and Connie, with the highly talented Orgreave girls created the usual organised mayhem with style and panache.

Meanwhile, at the head of affairs it was no surprise that Brodie and Ollie took everyone and everything by storm with their own magical Billy portrayals. I know there are and have been and I’ve seen other great shows in the West End but this show is very special in terms of entertainment, thrills and, most importantly as far as I am concerned, a totally immersive emotional experience from start to finish.

For anyone who is especially interested in the music side of the show there is always something going on as well no matter how small and there was some small but interesting improvisation here and there in the music during both shows.

When you’re at your favourite and beloved show, seeing and hearing the audience’s enthusiastic and animated reaction is quite the bonus and even more pleasure is derived from seeing the broad smiles of all the cast as they dance the Finale and take their well-deserved bows, knowing that they have done their job so effectively. The main cast, the alternates and the entire Ensemble are doing a magnificent job and the backroom boys and girls are superbly bringing it all together. Sure, it’s no wonder I can even smile at the Airport Security people on the way home every week.

Pat
jmh2014
Tall Boy

Post by jmh2014 »

Saturday July 18th - Some observations:

Robbie Durham was on as Tony and didn't climb over the gate but went through the door at the start of He could be a Star.

Logan's head smash into the curtain was closer than anyone other Tall Boy I've seen.

Ollie had to deal with a Pasty thief. Having announced that he'd "got one from the Cc-op" the search in his bag came up empty followed by the ad lib "But I don't seem to have it"

Ollie has also changed his little freestyle dance at the beginning of B2B.

Bradley in his 175th performance produced another stunning powerful Angry Dance.

Lee Hoy was Older Billy and I like the way he adds a little extra encouragement by patting the Billy's on the back.

I'm not sure what's going on between Phil Snowden and Nathan, but at the end of the finale as they are all dancing to the front of the stage, he pulls Nathan's bobble hat down over his eyes!
patc wrote: For anyone who is especially interested in the music side of the show there is always something going on as well no matter how small and there was some small but interesting improvisation here and there in the music during both shows.
Especially some improvisation with the electric guitar. It's also noticeable how a different Musical Director's add their own embellishments.
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

Lee Hoy was Older Billy and I like the way he add a little extra encouragement by patting the Billy's on the back.
This is a signal to Billy that the wire is clear, and the next move can commence. Billy give a slight nod in return. (They cannot see each other, as Billy is turned away from Older Billy). There is also a similar shoulder pat when the wire is first attached, to signal they are ready for the aerial - and usually a nod to the wings where the fly captain is located. I cannot provide evidence, so take it as you like. If you do not want to take my word for it, consider just how important communication is in these moments.
dancingboy
Billy

Post by dancingboy »

kport wrote:
Lee Hoy was Older Billy and I like the way he add a little extra encouragement by patting the Billy's on the back.
This is a signal to Billy that the wire is clear, and the next move can commence. Billy give a slight nod in return. (They cannot see each other, as Billy is turned away from Older Billy). There is also a similar shoulder pat when the wire is first attached, to signal they are ready for the aerial - and usually a nod to the wings where the fly captain is located. I cannot provide evidence, so take it as you like. If you do not want to take my word for it, consider just how important communication is in these moments.

Lee Hoy usually does this after Billy does the roll over Older Billy's back and the 'leg lift', which come before Billy goes on the wire.
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

Perhaps it is different on the London stage than in North America.
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

jmh2014 wrote:Saturday July 18th - Some observations:

Robbie Durham was on as Tony and didn't climb over the gate but went through the door at the start of He could be a Star.

Logan's head smash into the curtain was closer than anyone other Tall Boy I've seen.

Ollie had to deal with a Pasty thief. Having announced that he'd "got one from the Cc-op" the search in his bag came up empty followed by the ad lib "But I don't seem to have it"

Ollie has also changed his little freestyle dance at the beginning of B2B.

Bradley in his 175th performance produced another stunning powerful Angry Dance.

I'm not sure what's going on between Phil Snowden and Nathan, but at the end of the finale as they are all dancing to the front of the stage, he pulls Nathan's bobble hat down over his eyes!
patc wrote: For anyone who is especially interested in the music side of the show there is always something going on as well no matter how small and there was some small but interesting improvisation here and there in the music during both shows.
Especially some improvisation with the electric guitar. It's also noticeable how a different Musical Director's add their own embellishments.
I agree. Every MD adds his or her tweaks. I especially enjoyed the Hammond B3 at the start of Angry Dance on the Iceland Youtube video I linked here today.
jmh2014
Tall Boy

Post by jmh2014 »

dancingboy wrote:
Lee Hoy usually does this after Billy does the roll over Older Billy's back and the 'leg lift', which come before Billy goes on the wire.
This is what I picked up on. It's not something that I've seen other Older Billy's do.
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

I've just got back to my hotel room after Bradley's last show.

I'll just say for now - WOW!

I'm sure there will be reviews to follow. I will have some photos posted after processing.
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.

Return to “Reviews - London”