August 2015 Reviews - London

Reviews of the show
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Re: August 2015 Reviews - London

Post by Billy Whiz »

Thank you everybody for the wonderful reviews. They are the next best thing to being there.

Keep 'em coming.
jacob wrote:probably worth another look :D
I might just do that :)
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

Thursday Matinee 20th August

As the long-extended applause finally tapered off after Nat Sweeney’s majestic and incredible Electricity it would have been fantastic (and no surprise) to hear that posh RBS female voice say, “Thank you, William, would you be kind enough to perform that piece for us again, please". This heart-thumping and emotion packed climactic moment of the show would have stopped even Rudolf (Nureyev, not the reindeer) in his tracks. I hope that, like many previous Billys, Nat will be asked to perform this on some TV show or Live event somewhere so that people who might never have the opportunity to get to London will not be deprived – and we can all set our recorders purring.

Angry Dance was also quite something. It brought a stupendous first half to a staggeringly good place. I always relish that moment when the riot squad has pushed Billy to front of stage and their pounding batons beat in perfect harmony with the music as he resolutely defies their presence – right in front of your nose.

Dream Ballet (with Lee Hoy as Older Billy) provided us with a masterfully designed and performed choreographical extravaganza of mystical proportions.

The packed-to-the-rafters theatre revelled in this magnificent show. With the school holidays in full flow there were hundreds of children present and goodness knows how many will have gone home inspired to say, “I can do that” and we might see them on that very stage in twelve months time, boys and girls having seen what, not just Nat, but all of the young cast contributed. Tomi Fry’s very convincing funny, light hearted yet so subtle performance as Michael. Middlesbrough’s pride and and joy, Demi Lee’s cynically disruptive and calculating yet so lovable Debbie was superbly acted. The Ballet Girls, with every inch of the wide and deep stage floor engaged by their energetic and co-ordinated dancing feet and crazy antics, made every breath count. Small and Tall Boys may only be small parts but they are there for a reason and both Ché and Logan gave every reason why they are there.

Longtime Billy fans will have seen and greatly admired David Bardsley’s different and measured take on Dad over all these years. I can’t quite put my finger on it but he has very recently taken this a step further and I’m not just talking about his new look. Whatever it is he has done just delicately enhances his moving portrayal of a father who finds himself genuinely caught between two stools and then makes the right decision out of love. Heart-rending but so satisfying to watch. David’s version of another character in the show (George) is always brilliantly performed, too, and I, for one, am very grateful that he has chosen to stay at the VPT all this time rather than display his considerable skills in some other show.

However, as we all know, the show lives or dies on the Billys and Nat has proven to be yet another incredible find by the company with all three disciplines acting, singing and dancing of the highest quality. The entertainment value of the show is immense. The emotional and healing effect of its heroic storyline is unequalled. What lucky people we are to have it, to all intents and purposes, in reasonably close proximity.

Pat
Westletonion
Miner

Post by Westletonion »

Not having been much lately, due to travelling abroad, tube strikes and the like, it was a tremendous pleasure to witness Nat for the first time yesterday afternoon. Those Electricity spins are some of the very finest I have ever seen! I started to wonder who this new 'Dad ' was before I realised I was looking at a newly recycled David Bardsley! A huge attendance once again and no wonder with the kind of fare offered up today. A thoroughly entertaining afternoon. Thanks to the entire cast.
Fishcake
Small Boy

Post by Fishcake »

Fab show today. The whole cast seemed lively and refreshed. Ruthie was at her best and David plays a great dad, although I think Deka just edges it for me. I absolutely love Gillian as grandma, she really brings the best out of the character. Connie was fab (hey I'm her mum, I'm biased) and the ballet girls were on top form. After 10 shows I'm still noticing lots of bits I'd missed before (I spent the first 5 shows only watching Connie lol) Tracey Atkinson was my discovery today, she was great. Ollie is at his best when tapping, and expressing was great. Todd was very funny and always makes me smile. For George's benefit, Ollie won the shoe race by a mile! All round a hugely entertaining show with a strong standing ovation at the end. Well done everyone x
Todd
Dad

Post by Todd »

patc wrote:Longtime Billy fans will have seen and greatly admired David Bardsley’s different and measured take on Dad over all these years. I can’t quite put my finger on it but he has very recently taken this a step further and I’m not just talking about his new look.
Westletonion wrote:I started to wonder who this new 'Dad ' was before I realised I was looking at a newly recycled David Bardsley!
So what exactly is this "new look" regarding David Bardsley ? New hair ? Weight gain/loss ?
Fishcake wrote:Todd was very funny and always makes me smile.
Thank you. I do what I can. ;)
emcpow
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by emcpow »

Monday 24th August

Ollie was on top form the whole way through tonight's show. A particular highlight for me was Express, as I really loved the relationship between Ollie and Tomi. They seemed to be having a ball especially in the tap dance section. Ollie's Electricity tonight was definitely the best I've ever seen him do it. I think there were a couple of new moves in there that I hadn't seen him do before, and he performed the dance very confidently with incredibly fast spins at the end.

This was my first time seeing David Bardsley's 'new look' and to answer Todd's question he now wears a wig, which is brown and slightly grey in places. I think it really suits him.

I was sitting slightly to one side in the auditorium and so could see into the wings and it was great seeing Demi dancing along to the entire finale from the side of the stage with a big grin on her face.

It was a great show tonight which was well received by the audience.
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

Thursday 27th August (all day)

Us fans of the show (or should that be "we" fans of the show) might be compared to the fate of Sisyphus except our boulders are of various sizes, shapes and of such delightful textures that we willingly and without compulsion go up that hill as often as possible. On reaching the summit we cannot wait to start all over again. Our reasons for all of this could easily be explained by anyone who attended both shows last Thursday when the arena was occupied by the BE Gladiatori marshalled and led by Imperatoribus’s (or should that be Imperatoribi), Nat Sweeney (matinee) and Ollie Jochim (evening). At the end of both showpieces all the thumbs were up.

It is a feature of this show that to take in all that is going on during these three hour theatre masterpieces you’d need to be an Argus Panoptes. In fact, I doubt anyone, even Argus himself, will ever see or hear it all. I’d venture to suggest that, were a BE Fan Curia to be called together, all of the attendees would learn something new.

The names of the main participants roll off your tongue so easily. On this occasion it was Nat, Nathan, Kyria, Ollie, Todd, Connie. Then, there was Ruthie, David, Chris, Gillian, Howard, Phil, Claudia and James. The Magnificum Ensemble provided Superb Firmamentum and the Orgreave Mirabilia lit up the stage. Those Orpheus’ below the stage produced such glorious and intricate music that even had the lamposts in Victoria Street dancing and, at other times, tears falling from Nelson’s Column a mile or so away.

On the way home after a BETM show you realise that it is not just a show. It is also an Asclepius and that’s why it is easy to become a VPT modern day Sisyphus.

With apologies to Mythology, Theology, Anthropology and Kidology all probably explained somewhere in Gerontology.

Pat
Barry Appleby
George

Post by Barry Appleby »

Another classic Pat! So Cheers and Thanks to you all over the past couple of weeks for your reviews and comments, they are most appreciated.
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Thank you to everybody for the wonderful reviews.

They have whetted my appetite for my visit this coming Saturday.
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.

Return to “Reviews - London”