September 2015 Reviews -London

Reviews of the show
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Re: September 2015 Reviews -London

Post by patc »

Thursday 17th September - all day

The Thursday double strikes again. Two cracking shows that bubbled and bounced in all directions and, as the Rugby World Cup commences, had scrums (Tony and Dad), mauls (boxing), conversions (those who hadn’t seen it before), a couple of wings, lots of set pieces, a Mark :D , but, thankfully, no breakdowns…..and, of course, the Cup has the name on it of that other Billy, (Webb Ellis). Chris Grahamson’s injury in the pre-Angry Dance Kitchen scene was so realistic the blood replacement rule would have been enforced. The Ensemble could have done a Haka at the end and everyone on and below the stage deserved a set of medals for 100% performances and they all got bonus points into the bargain. Mind you, there was some “foul play” from a “loose head” at the evening show of which more anon.

The young cast team for the first match was the same as we saw last Thursday evening, Thomas, Nathan and Beatrice and they were absolutely as brilliant as they had been then. The final match of the day had Nat, brand new Michael, Bradley Mayfield, and Connie following up with a blockbuster. Add in the new all-action Ashington Ballet Girls with their intricate and dazzling dance routines full of energy and excitement, long-time Tall Boy Casper and Small Boys Ché and Caiden and you can see why only the best are chosen to participate in London’s premier musical.

Ruthie may be on holidays ‘cos wonderful Wendy was back in action this week for both shows and delivered two beautiful performances.

Sometimes we have to wait a bit before we get to see new cast members so I was delighted to see Bradley’s name on board for the evening show and was really looking forward to seeing our new Michael for the first time. Even though he’s in his very early days there were no nerves in sight, cool, calm and collected and it’s so exciting that we have yet another great new and different Michael character to enjoy. He will be delivering plenty of fun, frolics and heartbreak moments over the months to come. (Like I’ve said before, if you’re out there the Company WILL find you and Bradley has been found).

The foul play occurred at the evening show during the quiet part of Solidarity. A member of the audience decided that she didn’t particularly wish to pay homage to certain sections of Lee Hall’s earthy words/lyrics and went about making her feelings known to all and sundry as she noisily departed the scene of battle. I’m not sure if this had an effect on the audience but they seemed a bit quiet after that until they were bowled over by Nat’s powerful and uplifting Electricity.

Both Thomas and Nat were nothing less than sensational. They make carrying this show on their small but sturdy shoulders look easy but we all know it isn’t. Their speaking voices are so crystal clear you never miss a syllable and the full-blooded feelings they put into their 3 hours on the stage never let up as they tear you apart before being finally put back together again at Finale time. Stopping off regularly to observe all of the wonderful characters who inhabit this village from the past is the best antidote for all other Earthly concerns. You don’t need a TMO to make that decision.

Pat

LOL, Barry, you beat me by two seconds :D
dancingboy
Billy

Post by dancingboy »

I can endorse Pat's and Barry's comments regarding the Thursday matinee, since I was there too. Most of the audience would have been seeing the show for the first time and they would probably not have believed you if you had told them Thomas is only just 11 years of age. His acting is exceptionally good, for one so young. Add in the Nathan element and you had the recipe for a fun-filled Expressing Yourself. Also, Nathan's 'splits' in the Tutu scene are the most genuine I have seen and brought a round of applause from the audience.

I am not sure when three hours have passed by so quickly. An excellent show from all concerned.
cindythenurse
Small Boy

Post by cindythenurse »

Friday Sept 18th

A packed house and a great feeling of anticipation.
Brodie, Nathan and newcomer Beatrice on tonight, with Wendy Somerville covering for Mrs W.
Brodie superb as ever, such clear delivery and confidence in all departments. A great 'distraction' routine in the boxing scene, excellent bemusement and then fun at joining in the 'expressing' number. He can then turn in a moving 'letter' powerful 'angry dance' and graceful and beautiful 'dream ballet'. Such an accomplished dancer, with balletic and gymnastic moves a plenty. The highlight being a barnstorming 'electricity'. Those oldies amongst us will recall the late great Eric Morcambe and his famous line about 'playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order'! Well Brodie, for some inexplicable reason had a similar problem with the words of 'electricity'. He must have sung it a thousand time, but I suspect not quite like this! Started ok, then a phrase from 2nd verse, then some random words and a mixture of 2nd and 1st verse words to finish. Being the consummate performer he is, there was no panic, hesitation or change in expression. He just carried on, sung something and you would never have noticed, unless you had seen the show several times before.
Nathan is just great. I particularly like the very deliberate slowing down of some phrases in dialogue, so nothing is muttered, garbled and therefore missed. Excellent comedy throughout - losing a shoe while being dragged by George didn't put him off a bit. A unique interpretation of the 'winter scene' and 'little bit' routine was very well received.
Deka and Chris gave fantastic performances, as they always do. Its not always there, but am delighted that the 'Deka fall' made an appearance. That 'he could be a star' scene is so powerful and 'real' that on occasions Deka has no choice but to go flying onto the stage. The poor man must be black and blue!!
Wendy did a great job filling in as Mrs W. Not putting a foot wrong and giving her own take on certain phrases and business. She pulled Brodie's leg up and spun him so violently in the 'what's the time / biscuit' scene, that I thought he was sure to put a foot down. But no, with arms and legs swinging about like windmill sails, he kept his balance.
The new Ballet girls (smaller and younger), drilled to perfection. The whole company working their socks off.
An excellent evening, the show as moving as ever. I shall be returning in October. Cant wait.

Regards
Cindythenurse
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

Thursday Matinee 24th September

Longest serving current Billy and new Michael. Ollie and Bradley together was the big talking point at the matinee. Just like a bespoke tailor dresses a prestigious new client, the powers-that-be at the VPT have fitted out their latest Michael in the fashion that suits best. They have come up with another winner and their scenes together brought industrial light and magic to the VPT stage. The Boxing scene set the tone of the partnership. Ollie’s outrageously hilarious “bloody tea dance” combined with Bradley’s excruciatingly funny and highly unique “encounter” with George was just the right tonic to get the crowd going early and we never looked back after that. With this pair in such cracking form you just knew that Expressing was going to be a humdinger and so it proved. By the time the spectacular dancing dresses came on the buzz in the theatre was palpable and, after the interval, Bradley’s “bit o’ ballet” was just too funny for words with the finishing splits and associated facials leaving everyone helpless with laughter. Priceless. And yet, only minutes prior to this we had been stunned into sympathetic silence for those heart-rending words, “Why, I’d miss ya” as he held Sindy close to his face. Bradley is yet another great capture in the Michael Hall of Fame and I look forward to the next time I see him in action.

As dancingboy mentioned last week the final curtain scene is best performed in respectful silence allowing Michael the opportunity to do his left-behind lonely thing without interruption. I was so pleased that yesterday’s matinee audience maintained that silence until the curtain was just about down thus allowing Bradley to do just that to perfection. There is always plenty of time to applaud afterwards and everyone did - and stood whilst doing so.

Meanwhile, Ollie just goes on and on delivering. Due to the way the schedule has been working I haven’t seen much of him over recent months. Last time he was mega so I don’t know what’s the right word to use this time. Perhaps mega-mega might do. The two big dances were performed with great power and skill. Ollie is stronger now as time goes by and he has the strength to really test the floorboards in Angry Dance. His gyrations in front of the pounding shields as they advance to the stage front was a thrilling, electrifying and compelling sight. I certainly wouldn’t mind having a pair of drumsticks in my own hands for this. Electricity was as powerful and thrilling and Ollie’s legendary happy smile to the audience as the applause and cheers rang out was so pleasing to see. Dancing aside, his stage presence and acting skills perfectly portrayed Billy’s determined persistence interspersed with those moving vulnerable moments with Mrs. W (Wendy delivering another beautiful performance).

Connie, with her infectious smile, somehow manages to turn mischief-making into a virtue and the manner in which she led up to and made her offer to Billy in the Toilet scene was the perfect foil for Ollie’s disdainful refusal that brought the house down.

Outside of the young cast the most “popular” main character on stage is undoubtedly the loveable and adorable Grandma. Gillian has this down to a fine art.

The new Dinnington Ballet girls cast bright lights on every part of the stage floor with a delightful display of dancing and gracious movements and those who have individual characters to portray did so expertly. Each and every one of them clearly are relishing and enjoying their every second on stage and so did we. Joshua (Tall Boy) and Arran (Small Boy) did so well all that was asked of them. Joshua’s “Doun’t be sow sillay” gorra-a-lorra laughs and the smash hit (especially with specs on) was most realistic.

Insofar as the adult cast is concerned either there is someone behind with a whip (unlikely) or the money is sensational (even more unlikely) but the energy and 100% commitment to use every last breath and every last drop of energy to give us, the paying public, the time of our lives each time every time is astonishing. Let them rest assured that, as they dance the Finale, those of us watching this tension-releasing spectacular are fully appreciative of what we have been privileged to watch. From the smallest part up to the principals they are quite positively brilliant and there is no other show I have seen in the UK or, indeed, in Dublin, that can keep my attention for every second that it is on. It is a unique experience.

Go raibh míle maith agaibh.

As for Ollie, what more can I say. Without his brilliant talents and commitment (and those of all the other Billys), the John, Daldry and Hall coffers would have a lot fewer bulges in their seams. I hope they are being well rewarded. Mind you, whatever bulgeless coffers the rest of us own continue to empty at an alarming rate but who cares. To paraphrase that other Billy (Shakespeare), the fun’s the thing. Catch it while you can.

Pat
Fishcake
Small Boy

Post by Fishcake »

Catching up on this weeks reviews. It's always such a pleasure reading such detailed and enthusiastic reviews. I always make sure Connie knows that people take the time to comment on her performance as I want her to realise (and she does) how lucky she is, getting to do something she loves, and being so well appreciated for it. It's very humbling and gives us both a great sense of pride. Thank you x

Return to “Reviews - London”