December 2015 Reviews

Reviews of the show
tzwicky
George

Saturday Matinee, Dec. 12

Post by tzwicky »

Saturday Matinee, Dec. 12

A nice, tight little show with Euan (as predicted by Master Pat) and Nathan. A great pair of goofballs. Ya canna go wrong!

First thing I noticed was that when Billy came onstage for the first time, his trakkies seemed a bit too long, with a pronounced hitch above the foot. The trakkies fit otherwise, they weren't droopy anywhere and we have no worries about Billy wearing pants with his underwear showing (for which he could get a civil ticket if he were in Opa Locka [Miami] dressed with his pants too low). So no criticism here because it's truly awe insiring that it doesn't happen in every show. All the Billys are doing that out- of-control growing thing and the wardrobe people have to deal with it all the time. So it's about the first time I ever noticed. I watched through the whole show and the 4-5 (I can't remember everything) different colored trakkies Billy wore had no hitches in them.

As I said, this was a solid show. Not much to report here.

During Nathan's tapping in "Express" at one point he slipped and sat down on the stage momentarily. He got right back up lest any BillyManiacs scream out for a stretcher.

Later on Billy slipped similarly during "Angry Dance." I started to wonder if someone had overwaxed the stage. And then the Kitchen Table/Shack would not rise higher than a foot and Euan stuck around the proscenium on the audience left side until they could get the balky thing lowered and locked and then he did what these amazing young actors do every day, he carried on like it never occurred. Such a pro. Of course the stage was full of smoke and big blokes running around.

I spent the entire show battling with Mr. Potatoe Head who was sitting in front of me, in the dead zone seats (the last 8 rows of the stalls). Luckily I was on the aisle and had my giant Zeiss optics in hand, so I could just lean out into the aisle to see around the oversized tuber noggin in front of me.

I'll be a lot closer (third row) for the evening show, though I will be five seats into the left side off the aisle.

And that'll be it for this Billython.

But not for my next London Billython. I locked in my final week seats last night and got the box office to print them out today. So I am set for that Monday to Friday set of shows.

The weather in London came back to normal from yesterday's deadly cold (for an Angeleno it was deadly cold). Just as I'm getting to where the cold isn't so severe for me, I'm headed back to the land of no seasons other than temblor season which is all year round.

tzwicky
Barry Appleby
George

Re: December 2015 Reviews

Post by Barry Appleby »

Thursday 10th Dec (Evening)
Sorry that I'm a bit late with this review “but you know what its like” plenty of jobs at home to keep the peace, then I've just spent 6 hours stood on Hull railway station giving out Santa Special leaflets, cold enough to freeze the ***** off a brass monkey, as they say,. No! I will not be Santa on the train next Saturday, we do it for nowt, so it's no good moaning about it.
I do feel a bit guilty because I have never had the time to do a review for Nat, I think I've seen him twice before, so now I'm having a coffee with more than a drop of brandy in it, so here goes. His performance on Thursday evening was as near perfect as you will ever get, everything for me was top class, acting singing and dancing, as Pat says, he plays Billy, as a lonely lad, you could just imaging him walking down the street kicking an empty coke can in the gutter, thinking to himself I want to do something better than this. He shows so must disgust at being pushed around by those ballet girls, yet when the time comes, when they ask for his autograph, he looks so chuffed. It was great to see Nat interact with Gillian in Grandmas Song, showing to much affection for his nanna. Then to Expressing Yourself, so enjoying, being with his best mate Michael especially in the tap routine, although you don't know what Bradley is going to do next, he's a right bundle of fun. Nats skipping in B2B was spot on, also giving plenty of cheek to Ruthie and Phil. His tap in Angry Dance was fab, plenty of effort and temper to finish off act 1, with a great ovation.
I'd just like to say Thomas in the afternoon worked his socks off in Angry Dance also, and got nothing for his efforts from that audience in the matinee, they were shockers, poor lad looked so disappointed when walking off the stage, you could not believe that two audience could be so different in one day.
So the 2nd half plenty of fun and games in the pre Dream Ballet, again you don't know what is coming next from Bradley, the audience loved Dream Ballet with Lee Hoy, spot on I thought.
So we come to Electricity, I can say it in two words, “absolutely outstanding”, so did the rest of the audience, the way Nat finishes is incredible, I like the way he then looks up towards the balcony and interacts with the whole audience so they can see that smile, another great ovation for all his hard work, he then he knows he's cracked it. Great to here, such good remarks from Liam, that must be very encouraging for Nat, I'm sure if he wants, to make a career in dancing, the doors of the ballet schools will be wide open for him.
A massive big thanks to the rest of the cast, it was not your day, I've never personally been in that situation when in employment, to me it seemed so cruel, but stage life is very tough at times, but I speak for all the forum members we really do care.
jmh2014
Tall Boy

Post by jmh2014 »

Saturday Evening 12th December
With no disrespect to anyone else on stage but the night belonged to Ben (Michael) and Thomas (Billy).

First chance to see Ben and he produced the funniest portrayal of Michael I’ve seen. The “Tea dance” and entrance to Expressing were hilarious. New take on dancing in MCMT and exaggerated Finale dancing stood out. The tenderness was in abundance for the Winter Scene and such doleful eyes at the end as Billy walks out if his life.

As for Thomas, how an eleven year old can produce such a mature and masterful performance is staggering. He lifts the entire cast and they all respond to him.

In just two weeks he has added so many additional nuances, be it a new expression, more interaction (Grandma’s Song a prime example). The longest embrace with Mrs W which left both of them smiling like Cheshire cats. New ways to present the Rubik’s cube and letter. Cheating during the t-shirt race with Dad by starting before “go”. Flinging his arms wide when asked by George if he’d “heard anything” and George responding by doing the same.

He always looks at the entire audience reaction to Electricity and you are never left in any doubt that, despite all the hard work involved, he is loving every moment up on stage.

I didn’t think the enjoyment that Matteo produced at his final show would ever be surpassed, but Thomas has now eclipsed that night.

Catch him if you can before the show closes.
Bridget40
Tall Boy

Post by Bridget40 »

Thursday 17th.... Matinee.

A quick review from a tired me before lights out.

An amazing performance by Nat Sweeney was the highlight of an all round excellent show at The VPT this Thursday afternoon. What a multifaceted, fasinating, complex and beguiling Billy young Master Sweeney has become! He really does draw me into the character of Billy Elliot in a way that no other has. Some words I would use to describe his performance are...... Sad, lonely, stubborn, rude, brattish, insolent, cheeky, charming, joyous, troubled! I realise that some of these words contradict each other, but that is what fascinates me, and draws me to this Billy so much. He plays a boy that comes across as being both slightly effeminate and fragile, and yet also gritty and determined with an underlying toughness. At times I almost feel that his performance is being limited by having to stick to a script that is the same for all the Billy's. Nat does not play it safe, and if your looking for 'cutesy'..... Nat is not for you. He offers so much more! As for his dancing.... I agree 100% with Liam Mower! A riveting performance Nat...... Bravo!!!

It was only the second time that I have seen Nathan Jones as Michael, and boy has he come on leaps and bounds. He was playing to a tough crowd, but he was pretty much perfect. His little face when Billy leaves for The RBS makes you want to jump up and give him a hug!

All the rest of the cast were top notch as always. I have not seen Ruthie in my three last visits to Billy, so it was great to see her come bursting through those doors. It was the first time I have seen Matthew Seadon-Young as Tony, and as much as I love Robbie Durham in that role, I thought Matthew was very good.

I may be tempted to go a few more times before d-day. :lol:
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

Thursday 17th December

They must be mad, closing this show. No, wait, absolutely bonkers.

It was a surreal experience sitting in the theatre pre-show. Maybe this is what it’s like visiting a condemned prisoner who has three months left on Death Row. The prisoner was, however, having none of it. He was determined to put on a brave face and send the visitor away with the most intense and everlasting contented memories.

As, one by one, the cast arrived on stage, the crew did their usual thing and the music geniuses played along, it struck me that we are all in the same boat but we will all be going down singing. How appropriate that the song will be “We’ll all go together when we go”.

When Nathan Jones cycled on followed shortly afterwards by Nat Sweeney I knew it was going to be one heck of an emotional afternoon. Nat’s superbly crafted Billy interpretation has been already deservedly applauded in previous reviews and Bridget40 has already given you a taste of what it was like to be present on Thursday to watch it unfold. Words do not and never will adequately convey what feelings this evokes in this watcher’s soul. Into this maelstrom of emotional turmoil and heartwarming conquest over adversity, Nathan’s Michael is like bright sunlight breaking through the clouds yet he himself finally becomes lastingly affected by the fast moving events surrounding Billy and, at the end, we are left to ponder his uncertain fate. (It is no consolation that we saw what subsequently happened in the film all those years ago).

There are no prizes for guessing the highlight of this show full of highlights. When that voice rang around the theatre, “what does it feel like when you’re dancing” followed by the note on the piano, Nat’s eyes commenced their penetrative and compellingly powerful work. From that point onwards until those amazing final spins I felt I had passed over into a new 10 Dimensional world.
His little face when Billy leaves for The RBS makes you want to jump up and give him a hug!
LOL, I felt like that for both Nat and Nathan and, indeed, all of the cast. I am not going to pretend for one moment that I am not upset at the show’s impending closure and I am grateful to them all for giving me such a lift on my first visit back to the VPT since the news broke after last Thursday’s show.

During Shine we had two Debbies in action, Beatrice being the real one with Connie standing in for one of the Ballet Girls like she was doing it every week (with that everlasting and mischievous smile at full throttle).

Arriving back at the theatre for the evening show, happy feelings continued with a second opportunity to see new Billy, Euan Garrett AND a very first viewing of new Michael, Ben Robinson. It is probably likely that these two will be the last in the long line at the VPT and it is fitting that this greatly talented duo will be in the hall of BETM fame as both of them were outstanding in their respective roles. With only about a half dozen performances under his belt, Ben has already nailed it and has some really delightful individual touches that, I have no doubt, he will develop even further as time goes by.

Euan was as brilliant as on first viewing (well, actually, even brillianter now that he has had a couple more weeks onstage experience). That plaintive singing voice coupled with stunning dancing routines and expressive acting combined to provide such rich results at the end of another magnificent evening of unrivalled entertainment.

This week it is grateful thanks to Nat/Nathan/Beatrice, Euan/Ben/Connie, the delightful Dinnington girls, George M/Sonny, Lewis, Ruthie (Wendy for the evening show), Deka, Matthew, Kerry (who played Grandma in both shows), Howard, Phil, Claudia, James and the Ensemble for showing such dedication to the cause and also the support of the music gurus and hard-working backstage crew. In such difficult times the magnificent standard and quality of the show was never allowed to falter.

Despite the melancholia, I’m looking forward to the final three months (and a bit) of this stage phenomenon. There is nothing in London at present or on the horizon that could ever come even close to replacing it.

Pat
jmh2014
Tall Boy

Post by jmh2014 »

Monday December 21st

Nat Sweeney's performance was flawless. He captures Billy's hopeless plight better than anyone I've seen. Every so often he allows a little light to appear, but this is soon replaced by darkness. When given the opportunity to show off his dancing skills he comes alive before your very eyes. Full of fun in Expressing, consumed with rage in Angry Dance, beautifully graceful in Dream Ballet and an Electricity danced to perfection.
dancingboy
Billy

Post by dancingboy »

Boxing Day at the VPT

Unfortunately, more mechanical problems this evening. During the Police line up, after Thomas, playing Billy, was told to ''Sod Off'', the show was stopped for a 'technical problem'. During the stoppage Mr Massey came on stage not once, but twice to give updates then eventually he told the audience the 'show could go on'. The delay, however, was 30 minutes, the longest I have ever known.

The problem existed with the back of the stage, the part with the raised floor and which contains the double doors, mid stage. It was clear, however, that the problem was not completely resolved as that part of the stage was working only intermittently. This meant some exits ( and entrances) were made through the side door, by the bar, and the double doors to the right of stage ( as you look ).

In order to make up a little time the Front of Curtain scene to start the second Act was dispensed with. The show ended at 10.45, without the Finale.

The show with Thomas, Nathan and Connie, plus a full cast, was excellent entertainment. One very funny moment occurred in the Winter scene. Thomas threw the tutu up in the air to Nathan, but didn't have the distance with the throw, so the tutu ended up being caught by Thomas himself. Cue lots of laughter, mostly from Thomas.
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Thank you to everybody for their wonderful reviews. I know they are greatly appreciated by everybody here.

They are the next best thing to actually being there.

Keep 'em coming.
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
james010101
Audience Member

Post by james010101 »

30th Dec (Matinee)

It was my first time to a live performance of Billy Elliot - despite having watched the Live recording of Billy Elliot 10th Anniversary performance for a ridiculous number of times - and so it was with an equal amount of excitement and nervousness when I stepped into the theatre. Excited to finally be at a live performance, but nervous that the live performance could not replicate the perfection of the recording. Frightfully nerve-wrecking is probably the most apt phrase to use here.

Regardless, even within the first 10 minutes of the show, I realised my nervousness was misplaced. The acting, singing, choreography and set layout were impeccable. The cast was astoundingly professional, giving all the right emotive cues at the right moments through their body language and verbal inflections. Anger, sadness, joy, excitement. The full range of human emotions was present in each and every scene, was played out perfectly by the actors, and I could not help myself but be fully immersed in the story of a young working class boy giving his best for a shot at a better life. It is difficult to say which scene was the best. Was it the ever impressive song of freedom sung by Billy (played by Euan), 'Electricity'? Or was it the delightful interplay between Billy and Michael (played by Ben) during the inspirational number of 'Expressing Yourself'? Perhaps the tear-wrenching 'The Letter (Mum's Letter)'?

While the adult cast was certainly impressive, especially Mrs Wilkinson (played by Ruthie Henshall) and Dad (played by Deka Walmsley), each of them with their own brilliant moments, it was the child cast's performance which took my breath away. Who would have thought little dancing girls could swear as fluently and convincingly as an old sailor? Who would similarly have thought boys, at the tender age of 10, or 11, or 12, could dance like a seasoned ballet dancer, and flip like a professional acrobat? Least of all, who could possibly have thought that children would be able to deliver such a emotional and inspiring performance which rivals the best of adults? For me, the highlight of the afternoon was perhaps Euan's rendition of Billy. While I am certainly not, neither do I claim to be, in the best position to comment on which Billy played by whom was the best, and every single Billy, past and present, were and are fantastic in their own right, I could say for certain that Euan did justice to the role of Billy. His voice, gentle, soothing and remarkably pleasant, was pure delight to listen to. His acrobatics and dancing were excellent. His expressions were genuine, believable, and moving. Best of all, he was eager to interact with his fellow cast members and with the audience as well. His was not the sad, despondent Billy, but rather, an energetic, thrilling and ever-changing bundle-of-emotions Billy. He was an uncontrollable, foul-mouthed beast during the 'Angry Dance', but an untarnished angel during 'Swan Lake'. Yes, there were moments of his relative inexperience at the role, but he did surprisingly well to mask them and carry on. In my view, in the long and prodigious line of Billy's (which I did not have the pleasure of seeing for myself), he may not have been the most gifted dancer, nor the most tone-perfect singer, but he could very well be the most innocent. That element, in and of itself, makes him unique.

This performance was definitely one to remember. It may not have been a milestone event like the 10th Anniversary celebration, or even a cast welcome/departure affair, but it was my first, and hopefully not the last, viewing of Billy Elliot the Musical. Let us raise our glasses towards an even more fruitful year for the cast of Billy Elliot, and may the inspirational, enlightening and uplifting story of Billy Elliot be spoken about for many more years to come.

Return to “Reviews - London”