January 2016 Reviews - London

Reviews of the show
jmh2014
Tall Boy

January 2016 Reviews - London

Post by jmh2014 »

Saturday January 2nd Matinee

All started well, but during Dad’s confrontation with Billy after Solidarity it became clear that Deka was struggling and it was no surprise to see David Bardsley take over in the next scene. David Massey appeared just before the start of act 2 to confirm the cast change. This led to a slightly different start with Tony walking out from behind the curtain, followed shortly by George. Billy also had a different entrance being pushed out on stage and ending up on Tony’s left instead of between him and George.

Matthew had settled into his role as Tony and he puts more emotion into the “pit closing” speech than anyone I’ve seen.

Ben’s Michael is a breath of fresh air. His leap in to the splits makes your eyes water. Having lost the show race he proclaimed Billy as “The biggest cheat in the world”

The ballet girls are worth watching on their own. Not just for their own amazing dancing, but the expressions on their faces are quite incredible.

Nat appears to have loosened up slightly and this has enhanced his performance. His still shows more darkness in his portrayal and any setback brings this darkness to the fore. His Angry Dance was full of rage and one of the wooden tiles flew over the riot shields causing the Policeman to duck instinctively.

The way he starts Act 2 is very clever. No interest in the Christmas Party or Sindy, but then comes alive with Dream Ballet. Electricity was flawless and he made the most of the ovation he was given.
jmh2014
Tall Boy

Re: January 2016 Reviews - London

Post by jmh2014 »

Saturday Jan 2nd Evening

After a mere six weeks performing as Billy, Euan produced an outstanding performance. An emotional letter. Angry dance was full on passion and rage. Sindy became a windmill, so fast was she moving it would have been no surprise had she ended up flying across the stage. He is very much a happy-go-lucky Billy and has his own unique touches.

Nathan was on hand to deliver another towering performance of Michael. The final scene was heart breaking as the sadness took over his face whilst watching Billy walk out of his life. No wonder it was played out in complete silence until the curtain hit the stage.

It may be the beginning of the final year of performances, but if today’s shows are anything to go by, the entire cast are determined to give us many shows to remember.

If anyone was ever in any doubt just how much the audience reaction means to those playing Billy, the tears in Euan’s eyes at the end of Electricity as he observed the partial standing ovation spoke volumes.
Flyin high
Small Boy

Post by Flyin high »

Tuesday 5th Jan

It's been almost year since I discovered BETM and after learning about the very sad upcoming closure, knew I had to squeeze in another visit or two :) Due to my distance from London, I've appreciated being able to 'pop' over to the VPT. It's a real shame this will no longer be the case after April 9th.

I'd left a bigger gap between shows than I've done previously, since my last visit in November. Actually I preferred this as the emotional impact hit me harder, and I felt like I was seeing the show through fresher eyes again. The audience was on great form and I could tell from the outset that laughter and emotion would be rife. That energy was just in the air. In fact, this was certainly true of the family sitting beside me. There were quite loud gasps, tears, cheers and complete jubilation - I don't think they could believe their eyes which was why I was surprised they didn't return to their seats for the second half of the show. Strange.

Brodie was playing Billy. After 5 shows with 5 different Billys, this was my first time seeing the same boy twice. He is much taller and muscular now, and I loved seeing how his performance has changed from 10 months ago (he was quite new into the role then, I think). In particular I think his acting has got better. I was utterly convinced by the father/son relationship between him and Deka (there was a touching moment when packing the suitcase where they had a private joke and then almost couldn't stop laughing!), and I found Brodie so believable in the role, especially in the way he was reacting to the other cast members. You can be amazed watching Angry Dance on the dvd, but nothing compares to seeing that piece live on stage. I was reminded just how dramatic and staggeringly powerful it is as a piece of theatre - music, lighting, dance and ensemble all coming together. Brodie took that number by storm and many people stood up to applaud him. In fact the whole first half was a complete whirlwind of artistry and again, I was reminded of how fast paced and compelling this show is, running from scene to scene seamlessly. The combination of humour swiftly interlaced with high drama works so beautifully.

One thing that stood out to me about Brodie (which I hadn't noticed as much the first time) was his singing voice. It's so beautiful and angelic, almost at odds with his sense of maturity on stage. This is why, for me, Brodie plays an innocent and forlorn Billy. Not as angry as Nat, or as joyful as Ollie was for example, but someone who is sad inside, yet always hopeful. You can see the hope in his eyes, when he looks at his Dad and at Mrs W. His singing in The Letter was the reason I found myself in tears - the first time for a while. Oh and I also think his Geordie dialect is one of the best and most consistent I've heard. I love the way he drops his 't's in 'Electricity' - very authentic!

It was my first time seeing Ben as Michael and Connie as Debbie. I've been hoping to see Connie for a while, and was really glad I did. She has such a confidence about her and brilliant delivery of all her lines, a great little actress. Ben is a natural born comedian! He was very funny, very naturally. The boxing scene was more hilarious than I remembered it. He punched Billy with such gusto that Billy's helmet fell off and was swiftly rearranged while Brodie was down on the floor! There were a number of other prop wobbles including a slight tangle with dresses from Michael's wardrobe and a stray piece of sparkly ribbon from Michael's 'scene change' that was moved out of the way by Mrs W before Born to Boogie, allowing Brodie to safely do the piano flip. One thing I loved was hearing the audience clap after the cassette tape winding - I've never heard clapping at that point before!

I know others have mentioned the big height difference that sometimes occurs between Billy and Michael. This is very much the case with Brodie and Ben. I thought they could've passed for older and younger brothers when I first saw them together and, and for me, this does make their close friendship slightly less believable. But I guess with the constant flow of new Billys, Michaels and Debbies arriving and leaving, it's impossible to match them all perfectly. It also struck me that it must be hard for the more senior Billys to adapt to saying goodbye to their kid cast members/friends, and then have to quickly get used to living and working with newer kids who come into the role. I didn't see as much smiling and fun between the boys in Express Yourself as I have before, and did wonder if it takes a little time to build strong stage relationships with the ever changing cast. But these kids are all such professionals and every time I see BETM, I walk away in complete amazement at their talent, energy and sheer commitment to this fantastic show.

I don't know how old the small boys typically are, but I have 5 and 8 yrd old children who get bored and impatient easily. I'm so impressed with the small boys (and small ballet girls) who act with such professionalism and maturity up on that big stage, in front of so many people night after night!!

Well, I suppose another visit is going to be in order before April 9th (I'm guessing it's nigh on impossible to get tickets for the final show itself now?)....so hopefully I'll be able to leave a final review sometime soon!

I'm flyin high and feeling inspired by the BETM effect once again!
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

Thursday 7th January

What a day at the VPT. After an absence of three weeks during the Irish Christmas and New Year travel and airport madness, it was magic to be back to see the magic in action.

Those purveyors of such magic, Nat and Thomas were to the fore in entertaining two large audiences that were up for it and went away buzzing with delight. Nathan and Ben didn’t just step up to the plate, they danced all around it and decorated it with glorious patterns but with some dark edges thrown in to keep us mindful of some of the complications of life. Nathan, of course, has been showing us what a class act he is for a long time and now, new boy Ben, with three more busy weeks under his belt has blossomed spectacularly with some great routines. A new star is born. Unusually for a Thursday, in both shows the Michaels were allowed the space to break our hearts in silence as the final curtain came down and Nathan and Ben did so with extraordinarily realistic effect before the audiences showed their appreciation.

So much has already been written about the quality of Nat and Thomas and it is impossible to ferret out any new words that could do justice to the breathtaking performances we got from them. All I can do is thank them for the uplifting and purification of heart and soul that came from their masterful presence on that hallowed stage.

Ruthie and Thomas appear to be having a “contest” to see who decides how long he can keep hold of her after he rushes to hug her just before the pre- AD scene. Thomas is winning hands down at the time of writing.

The boxing scene used to have a fairly similar pattern to it every show but, as the weeks have gone and are going by, there is now always something different in the various moves especially between Michael and George. I’m kinda hoping that from now until the end there will further slight “relaxation” of the norms that would add to the enjoyment of fans.

The matinee had an extra (unplanned I assume) moment of fun during MCMT when the plank for the puppets was (mis)placed up top and proved to be beyond the reach of one of the “grabbers” until almost, as it were, the horse had bolted, figuratively speaking. I can only remember that occurring once before – a very long while ago.

The lovely Sharon Sexton, who has appeared in some highly-praised roles in Ireland including Nancy in Oliver! was a wonderful Dead Mum.

From what I have seen, the cast intend to have a ball in seeing the show out to 9th April. Consequently, we are all in for a great final three months of fun and thrills despite there being an underlying sadness.

Pat
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

Thursday 14th January

Had it been up to me, the Emperors would have been carried shoulder high from the Arena to their waiting four-wheeled Chariot of (ins)Pire and then sent on their way through the adoring throngs, accompanied by the higher notes of triumphant trumpets. In what was the reversal of Roman times the Emperors were the entertainers.

Emperors Naticus and Euanistes have had different periods of time in their exalted positions but each in his own way produced a different style to engage and enchant the Plebeians (and even a row or two of Patricians) who turned up dressed in all kinds of robes and speaking in various tongues.

Of course, fuelled by Hollywood epics, our visions of Emperors are of lazy, fat and grey-haired old men sat upon marble thrones, spouting dark evil whilst wearing white robes but, truth be told, wor Emperors are superbly fit, brilliantly talented and highly trained for the task in hand. Bravery is in abundance. After all, who else could defy tradition, ignore ridicule and even face (and dance) down the terrifying advance of a Phalanx of Cohorts brandishing their transparent scutums.

Both ragazzi danzantini delivered spectacularly on all fronts. Nathaninius and Bradleyonicus provided the perfect support. It takes a very special kind of talent to be able to combine with such skill the outrageous comedy and spectacle of Expressing Yourself with the sublime and precious tender moments. No Roman family would be complete without its ragazze brioso and Debbieonias Beatrice and Hollie were not only eminently qualified but came across delectably brioso-plus. The Bedlington Ballerinas were brightly (and spritely) brilliant and their facial responses to the blow-by-blow range of insults between Dad, Mrs. W and the Billys in that explosive scene were priceless.

Entertainment such as this cannot be surpassed. With 9th April looming on the horizon I am finding that the emotional impact is ever-increasing by the week. With virtually the entire (condemned) cast on stage during Deep into the Ground and one’s own thoughts already fused with Jackie Elliot’s baring of his soul (and time almost in a state of suspension) there can scarcely be a dry eye in the house.

Both of these shows were of the highest quality with no holds barred. At the conclusion of both entertainments all of the thumbs were in the “UP” position. I could be wrong but I get the distinct impression that the entire cast are determined to prove that closing this forever relevant and still-flourishing show at this time is nothing less than an act of theatrical vandalism. For me, that's QED.

The Arena of Dreams will soon be dark and the Emperors will have departed for adventures new but, until then, let us all bask in the sunshine of the entertainment they so magnificently provide and admire with relish their conclusive shattering of certain taboos “forever and ever, and e………………..ver”.

PS I was just thinking. With so many Billy interpretations in London alone there is material for a 42 DVD Box set.

Pat
Lola
Tall Boy

Post by Lola »

Monday, 18th January

Billy – Brodie
Michael – Bradley
Debbie – Connie

Well, I said I would write a review, so here it goes. This was the first time for me to see the show in 4.5 years. In 2011 I was very lucky to see Scott and Josh as Billy and even though I very much liked the show before that, afterwards I was a huge fan - I once tried to recall every boy who ever played Billy and I actually could do it (normal?!), even though I had some problems with the Korean names ;). So, you can imagine how happy I was to finally see it again! We booked our tickets one day before the show’s closure was announced, and managed to get pretty amazing seats in E15 and E16 – they were perfect! My boyfriend and I are both pretty tall so we could see all the footwork even at the end of the stage! And most importantly, all the facial expressions, too.

I’m not getting in all the detail of the scenes but more in the performances I enjoyed the most.

Brodie – Well, where should I begin? I was not hoping to see a certain Billy but when I read Brodie’s name on the cast board I was really excited. I heard so many amazing things about this boy and they are all true! He is a true triple threat. His voice is so nice to listen to and he is a very good singer. Most notably in Electricity, he shows how well he can combine his acting and singing skills – he performed this song so powerfully, I actually got goosebumps. What great an actor Brodie is was for me most evident in the scenes the focus is not on him, e.g. when the dresses arrive in Expressing Yourself or during Grandma’s Song, he reacted to everything around him. Also, you could really see the great chemistry Brodie had with everyone involved, especially with Ruthie Henshall. In Born to Boogie Ruthie stepped on her rope and Brodie gave her a look (and obviously said something cheeky) so she looked like „What was that?“ The way those two played the Letter Scene when Brodie kind of mimics Ruthie’s way of speaking was also a pleasure to watch. Brodie’s dancing of course is the icing on the cake! He is a great ballet dancer but also a smooth gymnast and a very good tapper. The end of Solidarity, Angry Dance and Electricity were the highlights for me – his Electricity was simply amazing with great acro in it. He got a very well deserved standing ovation which went on for quite some time – Brodie looked very happy, looking around the audience and taking it all in. I could go on and on about it but will stop it here ;)

Bradley – he is a great little character with huge stage presence. His antics in the boxing scene were hilarious. You could get the impression this was his first boxing lesson ever by the way he was giving George the left and right :D His impersonation of George was also very funny! One of the funniest moments in the show was when Brodie hold Cindy the Nurse above his head and the much tinier Bradley couldn’t reach it and was jumping around to get a hold of it. Had both of them laughing – and the audience too of course :D I feel the more tender scenes could still get better, like in the Christmas scene but I still enjoyed his performance massively. (Also, I saw Joe Massey in the role who broke my heart in the final scene – the comparison does not seem fair)

Connie – wow wow wow, I loved her! I always felt it was hard to leave an impression with the audience with such a small role but Connie did it! Feisty is maybe the best way to describe her take on the role. The way she moans in desperation when her mother sends her away when Billy says goodbye - great. She even gave her mom the finger once in Shine :o behind her back of course :D The f**ny scene was amazing – after Billy rejects her offer, she gave him a look and smile that said “Well you think about it, the offer still stands” - looked like that for me and I found it very matching :D anyway, I loved her, she is a great little actress.

Ruthie – I was very much hoping to see Ruthie, as I loved her in Billy Live and now I loved her even more. She is fantastic! Her dancing in Shine had me in stitches. I understand why she is such a big star in the West End, since she was pretty much perfect in every scene!

Deka – Last time I saw David Bardsley twice and I must say both portrayals were very different! Honestly, I preferred David’s portrayal in Deep Into the Ground and the Royal Ballet scenes – too much crotch grabbing from Deka for my taste (especially unnecessary in the scene with the clipboard lady). That being said, all his scenes with his sons were really good and I also liked his interaction with Mrs W/Ruthie a lot, like in the Christmas Scene. He is very believable in the more emotional scenes and is quite a good singer.

Matthew – his take on Tony is quite different from the ones I know but I quite liked it – not as much shouting. He also showed Tony’s likeable sides which was very nice.

In some scenes I felt like the cast was rushing their lines a little bit, so the audience did not react as much as it usually would. I don’t know if the audience was as responsive as usual, in some scenes there was very little reaction, in other scenes very much so. Does the line “This might be a little difficult for you to understand” in pre-Angry Dance usually get a laugh? I was a little bit surprised.

Overall, yes, I enjoyed it very much – who would have guessed :p the show was over so quickly and in the end I was totally overwhelmed. I was prepared and brought tissues which I didn’t need in the first half – but then came “Once We Were Kings” and I wept like a baby. This song gets me every time. This probably was my last time to see the show in London and I was happy and sad at the same time at the end of it. No other theatrical experience I have had so far comes close to Billy Elliot. I am very thankful I got to see it 3 times.

PS: Does the show come with a warning for asthmatics? In the fifth row the amount of smoke that got into our faces was quite huge :D
LaurenF
Small Boy

Post by LaurenF »

Saturday 16th January - matinee

Cast:
Billy - Brodie Donougher
Michael - Ben Robinson
Debbie - Hollie Jayne Creighton
Dinnington Ballet Girls, Sonny James Scott and Lewis Elliott.
Regular adult cast (couldn't see an understudy list anywhere)

Wow. My first time seeing the show live, and the one question I came out asking myself - why have I not rushed to see it before?
I have always known about the show and wanted to see it, but it was not until Billy Live that I was determined. Since then, my parents have not heard anything but my desire to see the show, hence why the tickets were bought!

I am glad to see that the show will be travelling to my nearby theatre whilst on tour, and stay for a month, but I am sure it will be a very different experience altogether.

Seeing the show live is a completely different experience to watching the DVD. I guess nothing more so than the atmosphere, and being able to see the whole stage all of the time, instead of just the areas where the camera was facing.

The cast was on fire, and I may go as far as saying the audience were the more responsive and appreciative audience I have ever sat in for a matinee (bar a certain young Matilda's final show back in September). It was amazing.

Brodie was beyond exceptional. Everything was polished and clean, and even where tiny mistakes were made (he tripped on the skipping rope in Born to Boogie, and stumbled over a couple of lines) he was quick to continue and not let them affect his performance. His relationship with Ruthie is unparalleled in any show I have ever seen to date, in both the emotional scenes and the jokes and laughter shared in the finale. Both his angry dance and electricity were exceptional, and a true credit to his dance ability, but for me the best thing about Brodie is the pride that sweeps across his face as he knows he's done a good job. His standing ovation after electricity was well deserved (especially after that flip off the front wall!!) and he stood for a good couple of minutes taking it all in. He also received another two standing ovations (well deserved of course) at bows.

Ben was the perfect Michael to match Brodie's more sensitive side. He was funny, with a soft spark, and his comedic timing was excellent. He reminded me a lot of Zach. His tapping was incredible, and he had a great stage presence. For a boy so early in his run, he did an amazing job - if I didn't know better I'd have thought he'd been doing it for years! His Express was hilarious, and his ending slide down the wall before turning off the light had me in stitches!

Hollie was a great Debbie. Her expressions were big, and her voice loud and powerful. I think she is still figuring out how she wants to say some lines, but she seems confident in her almost angry approach to the role. She was a funny performer, and I am glad I got the chance to see her!

Dinnington were an excellent team of ballet girls for me. Aimee Quirke was excellent as Tracey Atkinson - definitely a stand-out for me. Another stand out was one of the older girls, taller too, with dark hair. I believe she either wore a pale green or pale pink t-shirt in shine, and she wore her hair in bunches. I am unsure of her character, but despite looking older than some other girls, I found my eyes drawn to her during group numbers because of her excellent expressions.
Hollie's headband fell off during shine, and it was funny to watch the girls between them pick it up and systematically drop it soon after on the way to try and get it back to Hollie. She got it in the end, albeit it was wonky on her head.
(can someone let me know if it is normal for not all the ballet girls to do the tap at the beginning of the finale? all the girls were there for bows, but about 5 did not do the tap at the beginning, and the group looked a little sparse. is this because of ability, or is it always this way?)

Lewis was an excellent Tall Boy with great diction, and a confident and good understanding of the character.
Sonny was incredible given his age (wow what a deep voice for someone so young!). He looked very comfortable on stage, and knew exactly what he was doing.

Ruthie and Deka were amazing. Both when in large group numbers and alone on stage. Ruthie's shine was a little less energy filled than the DVD, but I heard that she was off on the Friday, so may have been recovering from illness? None-the-less, her performance throughout the rest of the show was flawless, especially in 'The Letter', my favourite scene.

Deka is such a convincing dad, and he really takes you on a roller coaster of emotions. In 'he could be a star' he started crying and got choked up, and that made it all the more believable. He was a real star in the show, and I am so pleased I could see him. His reaction to Billy's electricity was amazing, and the pride his face was emitting was so joyous to see. His mouthing of 'that's mine!' received many laughs, yet he was able to transition so well into the more sensitive scene to follow. A true mark of a great actor.

The rest of the adult cast were great. Matthew as Tony followed a different, softer approach to the character compared with Billy Live, but it worked well with Brodie's calming Billy. Gillian as Grandma is very different to Ann, but relievingly so. Phil, Howard and Claudia all played their characters well, and Phil gained many a laugh throughout the show, especially in Born to Boogie.

I am so glad I was able to see the show live, at least once, before it closes, which I am truly devastated about. I will never forget my London experience (I have the souvenirs - mug and t-shirt of course), and hope I can see the show again soon.

I have nothing performance wise that I can criticize, as the cast were all perfect, and I was so happy to see them all.
I felt as though from where I was sat (dress circle row G, right in the middle of the stage) the music was the perfect volume, but the mics weren't loud enough. In some spoken scenes I couldn't always catch the ends of words. It was definitely a sound issue rather than an actor speaking quietly, and was more noticeable in scenes rather than songs. I don't know if anyone else has ever experienced this? It did not take away from the incredible performance though!

So yes, that was my rather extensive review! I hope you liked it, and all my random midnight thoughts. Please let me know if there's any particular elements of the show you'd like to know about!!

P.s in case anyone was wondering, Billy won by a landslide in the tap shoes competition (maybe because Ben had difficulty putting the clothes away), but it led to some funny comments thrown back and forth!
LaurenF
Small Boy

Post by LaurenF »

I forgot to mention,
the 'William Elliot is queer' line got the biggest roar of laughter from the audience I have ever heard. It went on for ages, and even some of the actors were struggling to keep a straight face at times!! Brodie delivered it perfectly!
jmh2014
Tall Boy

Post by jmh2014 »

Thanks for the great review.
LaurenF wrote:Saturday 16th January - matinee

Hollie's headband fell off during shine, and it was funny to watch the girls between them pick it up and systematically drop it soon after on the way to try and get it back to Hollie. She got it in the end, albeit it was wonky on her head.
reminds me of the time that one of the Billy's dropped his feathers during Shine and Tracey Atkinson picked them up and proceeded to follow him round the stage trying to give them back to him.
LaurenF wrote:Saturday 16th January - matinee
(can someone let me know if it is normal for not all the ballet girls to do the tap at the beginning of the finale? all the girls were there for bows, but about 5 did not do the tap at the beginning, and the group looked a little sparse. is this because of ability, or is it always this way?)
away), but it led to some funny comments thrown back and forth!
This is normal for the finale as far as I know.
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

Thursday 21st January

A double of immense quality viewed from two different places. Thomas’ matinee from the front row and Euan’s evening show from the Dress Circle.

Up front you are close enough to feel you are actually in Easington and see those facial expressions and little things that just can’t be seen from the DC. From the DC, though, there is so much not seen from the front row such as the dancer’s feet, the floor lighting and being able to see everything without having to move your head left and right is an advantage. You can even see the brilliant pianowork of the MD, all in one frame. It could be compared with the difference between the old TV/VHS “pan and scan” film presentation and the current movie channels that use the 2.35:1 (sometimes called “letterbox”) format.

From the point of view of enjoying the show, though, the overall result for me is the same. In my early days seeing the show it was always from the DC but, with visits becoming more and more frequent, the cheaper seats beckoned. Looking back now I should have done more DC viewings especially with the Senior Concessions we get at the VPT. I doubt they will be on offer to the same extent for future productions after CM has had his way. (same with the front rows, I suspect).

Viewing from the front there is an optical illusion. Looking up, the Billy’s appear to be taller than they are. From the DC you get to see their real height compared to the adults and their vulnerability, for example, in the big shouting match side by side with Dad at the end of Solidarity, is much more obvious. The same in Angry Dance.

The work of the Ballet Girls (the brilliant Ashington’s in both Thursday shows) can only be fully appreciated from the DC. It is mainly from there (with the accompanying floor lighting) that their precision dancing can be seen in its true light. It is absolutely spectacular. I would certainly recommend a visit to the DC (just even once before the show closes) for anyone who hasn’t been before.

The cast are continuing to turn in top-class performances. Thomas’ magnificent eye-catching trailblazing Billy style was ideally complemented by Bradley’s unique and hilariously mischievous Michael and with Connie’s very own and longtime much-loved trouble-with-a-smile Debbie thrown into the mix we had funtimes galore as well as tears.

There was a particular poignancy to the evening show. The three principal young cast members, seemingly the very last of the young stars to appear in the London show, were all on together and what absolutely superb entertainment they provided. The class of Euan, Ben and Hollie shone throughout and proved yet again that the standards required to be in this show have never fallen. Only the very best are chosen and, as I watched, in total admiration, these bright new talents in action I thought what a shame that they won’t get the long run in the show that all their hard work and determination deserves. Still, I’ll be most grateful for every second of their performances I get to see before the end.

Matthew is stunningly good as Tony. His passionate final speech is as gut-wrenching as I have seen and, with just a few powerfully worded sentences, he sets us up for a We Once Were Kings that leaves you devastated for the Miners and their watching families. One of the many great scenes in this theatrical tour-de-force.

I don’t know if the Broadway Billy fans experienced this as the show there entered its final months but I feel a strange, almost subdued, atmosphere around the VPT before the show begins but, once it does, the performances take you out of it and, as ever, makes you feel grateful to have experienced this phenomenon for so many years.

Pat

Return to “Reviews - London”