March 2016 Reviews - London

Reviews of the show
PLuto
Audience Member

March 2016 Reviews - London

Post by PLuto »

Thursday, March 3rd (Mat&Eve)

Dear Billy,
I'll have missed you growing, I'll have missed you crying, I'll have missed you laugh. I have found you in very last year of your life. It is really pity, that circumstances around VPT will not allow BETM to reach at least original age of Billy, but this is life...

Last Thursday I was on my second, third and unfortunately last performance of original BETM in London. During last half a year, I had opportunity to see three performances (and when I was counting, for all costs with this three performances I have spent more money than all other theatre performances in my life together), but I dont regret. I was so lucky to see three different Billys and Michaels - after Nat and Todd in September, this time it was Brodie+Bradley and Euan+Ben. After so low number of performances, I am not entitled to judge who is better. To be fair, it is not possible to judge. Each Billy, each Michael are really unique, everybody has stronger and weaker parts of the show. But everybody is easily amazing. So I would like to add only small observations from my point of view. Brodie is senior Billy, from his first steps on the stage you can see that he is giving impression of being self-confident, his chemistry especially with Ruthie is obvious. Euan is younger, his start to the performance was cautious, but scene by scene he escalate his performance. I dont remember so much about Nat, it is six months old since my performance with him and it is difficult to compare as it was my first live performance, so everything was completely new (and he had less than 20 performances until that time, if I am correct). Only what is in my memory is that technically was everything flawless, but he was concentrating too much to be perfect, sometimes there was missing factor of enjoying, spark in eye...

I must say that I like when I see when everybody on stage is not only playing, but enjoying it and you can see it every second when they are on the stage. For me this is surprise at adult cast, which are doing same performance almost every day, every week. Despite there is routine in lot of things, they are still "in". In all three performances I had Deka, Ruthie and Phil, everybody always perfect (funny notice - Phil made mistakes in skipping rope scene in both performances on same place). They are really awesome, same like new Tony. As a George I had David Bardsley. It is completely different George than Howard, for me Howard is more choleric as boxing coach and also more respectable for the boys. But also David's George is not bad, he is only different. And I must say that I prefer Howard's version of raffle scene. Another notice is regarding scene with usher in front of curtain on audition to RBS, it was easily too fast and it lost its charm (especially (no) time delay before answer to question regarding occupation). It was first time I have seen three performances of one musical live and it was my first double (to see same performance twice in one day). It was also first performance (or show or concert) in my life which was stopped due to technical issues after Deep Into the Grounds. Thankfully this break was quite short, so nothing of the performance was cutted.

And please, Billy, know that I will always be proud to have known you. See ya Billy... Hope to see you again soon, when BETM will return back to London.
jmh2014
Tall Boy

Re: March 2016 Reviews - London

Post by jmh2014 »

Saturday Matinee

As the 1500 in the audience waited, it was down to small boy George Norris to climb up onto stage and kick off the show. Nathan announced his arrival as Michael with his trademark bike sound effects. Tall Boy Noah let everyone know that the decision was on its way and it was down to David Bardsley, standing in as George, to deliver the news.

George N set up the boxing scene with three decibel busting shouts. Billy’s immensely funny tea dance was rewarded with by being squarely felled Nathan’s punch, who’s own reward for the low blow was being caught right on the back of the head from David’s thrown glove.

The ballet girls yet again showed that they are the bedrock of the first act with supreme performances throughout Shine & Solidarity. They are, of course, led by Ruthie’s Mrs W and what a performance she provided us with. The intensity of her confrontation with Tony was drama of the highest order.

Talking of Tony, Matthew had really settled into the role and his chemistry with Deka leaps off the stage. How they both manage to convey such emotion each and every time during He Could be a Star is a testament of their talent.

Gillian as Grandma never disappoints and steals almost every scene that she is in. Her little dance with Lee Hoy during MCMT was almost the highlight of the entire show.

Nathan would show off his undoubted comic ability during Express and led Billy a merry dance, easily winning the shoe change. He would repeat this act with his tutu routine. His nutcracker line and exit would both earn applause. As always, his portrayal of the final scene is heart-breaking.

Connie as Debbie would again demonstrate that she is the “queen” of expressions, as well as being able to easily convey the unreturned feelings she has for Billy.

Final words go to the unquestioned star of the show, Euan Garrett. To describe his performance as phenomenal does not do it justice. Every beat of Angry Dance was hit to perfection with the passion and aggression being palpable. Dream Ballet was gracefully beautiful.

The real emotion produced during the letter was incredible and obvious for everyone to see.

It would be Electricity that would prove to be the unequivocal show stopping moment. Pure perfection from start to finish with the final fast pirouettes and wall flip earning a well-deserved standing ovation. As Euan surveyed the scene, he allowed the smile on his face to grow. As the ovation continued his emotions took over and he quickly grabbed his coat and bag from Deka and exited the stage to regain his composure.

Five weeks left and BETM is going from strength to strength.
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Thank you for the great reviews PLuto and jmh2014.

They have whetted my appetite for my next, and final, trip to see BETM at the Victoria Palace Theatre next month.
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
Bridget40
Tall Boy

Post by Bridget40 »

Evening show, Thursday March 10th.

Just a short, quick late night/early morning review after another superb nights entertainment at The VPT!

The first thing thing I am happy to report is that there were no technical problems tonight, as opposed to the last three times I have seen the show. The second thing is that I enjoyed tonight's show as much as the first time I set foot in The VPT for Billy, and considering the amount of times I have seen the show now, that is really some achievement! Everyone seemed to be at the top of their game tonight in front of a packed, responsive and appreciative audience.

How consistent is Deka Walmsley? I don't think I have ever seen him put a foot wrong, and for someone who has been in the production for as long as he has been, how does he produce such a convincing passionate display night after night? I was particularly moved by 'He could be a star' and he seems to have developed a really good chemistry with Matthew Seadon-Young who I think has bedded in superbly into the role of Tony. All the rest of the adult cast were also in great form. Ruthie was fantastic as usual and I love the relationship she seems to have with The Debbie's (The fantastic Connie Fisher tonight) and the excellent ballet girls! It was the first time that I've seen Craig Armstrong as George and I was very amused by his performance.

Another first for me was seeing Euan Garrett as Billy, and after tonight, I am so glad that I caught one of his shows before April 9th. What A little dynamo of a Billy he is, and what a sublime performance he gave tonight. He had the The whole theatre eating out of the palm of his hand. A very natural, expressive actor who is a joy to watch. His partnership with the cheeky, cute faced Bradley during 'Express' produced chortles of laughter from all around me and he put so much effort and energy into Angry Dance that it left me feeling exhausted and in need of stiff interval drink. He was in perfect sync with Lee Hoy for a beautiful 'Dream Ballet, and I don't think I have ever seen a Billy look as pleased with himself as Euan did after 'Electricity'. An Electricity that was so perfectly executed that it had people applauding him in the middle of the number, and jumping to their feet to give him the standing ovation he so richly deserved at the end. After he completed his wall flip he let rip with an audible "Yes" and a fist pump. He had every right to look as chuffed as he did....... It was brilliant, and he was fantastic tonight. It's such a shame that after all his hard work he is only going to get a short run. I would like to think that if Euan wanted to take part in the tour, the company could, and should find a place for him?

A special mention to Nathan Jones who appeared in the second half as a rather large, enthusiastic, and a somewhat overzealous small boy! He absolutely cracked me up........ Although by the look on his face, I'm not sure Deka was as amused as I was!

Congratulations to everyone on, or behind that stage tonight. It was a memorable show!
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Thank you Bridget40 for your review. I'm glad I got to see Euan on my last visit as he really is an excellent Billy.

I've never seen a Billy play Small Boy but I have seen a couple of Debbies do it. Mind you I've only seen the show a few times :lol:
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

Thursday Evening 10th March and Saturday 12th March

No man has put more effort into or promoted BETM more than Deka Walmsley. On arrival in the cast he whipped up, by supreme example, a new frenzy of enthusiasm and desire among the entire cast that has continued ever since. The father of the show in more ways than one. During both shows yesterday he was in the same vein and even ended up on the floor again in the Pit Scene. The physical effort involved in producing this level of performance each and every time is courageous and, inevitably, must take its toll. As Deka left the theatre last night he looked absolutely shattered having, once again, given his all and then some. We owe a great deal to him for his immense loyalty and commitment to our favourite show.

I missed Thursday matinee having been down in Plymouth but got back to London in time for the evening show, viewed from the DC again. Euan was in charge for this one and in Saturday’s two shows it was Nat (Matinee) and Thomas (Evening) both viewed from the front. Had I not already had a long-ago-booked concert at the RAH on Friday I would have had a rare opportunity to see all 4 Billys, 3 Michaels and 3 Debbies in one London visit. I missed out on the superbly talented Brodie on this occasion but there is still time.

These three shows had a monumental emotional intensity for me. I suppose it was a combination of the impending closure and the warm emotions that Euan, Nat and Thomas evoked in their audiences and which were reciprocated. The connection is real. Watching the combined acting, singing and dancing talents of these three Show Supremos is an unequalled uplifting experience. I’ll say it again. It should be on the National Health.

Add to this the supporting magic of Bradley, Ben and Nathan and your spirits go even higher. Throw in three great Debbies, Connie, Beatrice and Hollie, the amazing Ballet Girl teams whose contributions especially in the scenes involved in Billy’s progress through training are indispensable and every boy and girl in the audiences can only have been inspired. Not many of the current junior cast will have even been born when BETM was conceived.

I can’t remember when we last had a full cast. Every show I have seen in more recent times has had various cast and Ensemble members playing different roles and all have done excellently with no diminishment of the entertainment. Such is the quality.

BTW, it was just a year ago almost to the day that Thomas and Nathan exploded onto the stage together on a stunning debut night. They have been since and were still dynamite together on Saturday evening. Ruthie and Thomas’ hug battle continues unabated with Thomas still the master and Ruthie almost horizontal in her efforts to break free.

There seems to be a few more funny little things happening around the cast that first-timers would not be aware of and so do not interfere with the show but fans love. Keep ‘em coming.

BETM London, far from going out with a whimper, is still thriving at the highest level. I will treasure the final month of shows.

Pat
jmh2014
Tall Boy

Post by jmh2014 »

Saturday Evening March 12th

Thomas and Nathan made their debuts as Billy and Michael on 11th March 2015. Just over 12 months later they were back together to demonstrate the stratospheric improvement they have both made. It is likely that they would have rehearsed together for many months before their debut and would have all the aspects of the show drilled into their brains. The one thing that they would not have been taught, is the chemistry that they generate when on together. Never was the more evident that during Express, which was probably, the highlight of the show. They feed off each other with ease and propel each other on to achieve greater heights.

Their on stage presence also infects the rest of the cast and pushes them into even greater performances. The single standout performance belonged to Deka Walmlsey. The emotion towards the end of Deep into the Ground was obvious for all to see and this emotion remained with Deka throughout the entire second act. Whether the fall during the fight with Matthew (Tony) was planned or not, I’m not sure, but they both threw everything at one another.

Thomas’s impishness is back in full view now and never more so during the hug with Ruthie. She seems powerless to break this and it was a good job that Thomas held onto her when they broke, otherwise she could have taken a little tumble.

Hollie as Debbie never fails to let you know exactly what she is thinking, stomping and growling to perfection. As Ruthie grabs the packet of biscuits from Hollie, a few shoot out the top giving her an unexpected shower. This leads to an unscripted “I’m sending you home” line between them later in the scene.

Thomas is digging deeper than ever before during the letter to produce a gut-wrenching emotional performance.

As always, it was left to Nathan to deliver the final emotional punch as he watches his best friend walk out of his life.

A huge debt of gratitude to all involved on producing what was, by far, the most emotional, enjoyable and incredible show I’ve seen this year.
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

Thursday 17th March

This was my first time ever not on home territory for Paddy’s Day but missing out was more than made up for at the VPT. Brodie was the only one I missed out on during last week’s extended UK visit so what great news it was to see his name on the Board for the matinee…and what a show he delivered. Scene after scene of such skill and professionalism that was lapped up by yet another huge attendance. The atmosphere at the VPT these days is beyond description with thousands, fans and people who had always promised themselves a visit but never got around to it, fighting to get seats to see this phenomenon before the closure. It looks like it will be the same every night until the end.

If Brodie was running the railways in the UK there would never be any need for claims payments made for late trains. In fact, everyone would be arriving at their destinations ahead of schedule. There was no letup as he powered the story along at a rate of knots with consummate ease but with such attention to detail. He must have spent a lot of time planning every syllable and footstep and blink of an eye. I was so wrapped up in it that I could hardly believe it was over let alone the interval with no time for anything other than full concentration on the breathtaking work evolving and revolving on the stage. The spectacle and sound of Angry Dance as he pounded the floor with dynamic feet and as the squad pounded the shields all in unison with the eclectic music was a truly mega experience. The audience was ablaze at this point and needed dousing with either a trip to the bar or the ice-cream vendors. I could hardly wait for Electricity but, meanwhile, he and James blew everyone away with an emotional and spectacular Dream Ballet.

There isn’t a lot more that can be said about Brodie’s Electricity. Precision, power, elegance and incredible feet, poise and balance all added up to produce an epic.

Complementing this five star performance was the cosmic and comical definition of magic and luminescence, Ben Robinson, carrying on the great tradition of irrepressible London Michaels. With a warm and infectious smile that says “I’m lovin’ this” he owned the stage when Expressing himself. Every word he speaks is with brilliant timing and with crystal clear clarity and he endeared himself to the watching 1.5K who lapped it up. Not a question of he could be a star. He is a star.

At the evening show we were given another opportunity to see again that now legendary combo of Thomas and Nathan. Here, to begin with, we had the usual battle of the most incredible facials and eyes that both of these boys are masters of. Thomas’ facials tell you all you need to know when Dead Mum comes in during the Letter and Nathan’s “Why, I’d miss ya” eyes stops a packed house from even breathing. And so it goes on throughout.

Thomas’ is so much fun. His mischief-making “tea dance” in the Boxing scene is a cunning, defining moment where he reaches out and draws in the audience and, after that, he can do anything he wants, knowing we're all on his side. Anybody who stands in his way will have to contend with us. An all-action Billy, he doesn’t just “hang around” when other characters are the centre of proceedings. You need to have one eye on them and the other on him or you’ll miss so much. This masterclass in acting prowess greatly enhances his character’s gradual progress at Mrs. W’s ballet class until he finally shines at the end of Solidarity. We are so much behind him at this point that we are outraged beyond belief when Dad arrives in to humiliate him. In normal outside circumstances it would be 1500 forming a line between Billy and Dad but we are forced to remain in our seats and, like Billy, take it on the chin. On the last night, being a charity show, it would be great if those fortunate enough to be at the front of the stalls were pre-organised to rush up on stage as an angry mob and confront Dad.

Our indignation at this affront was more than made up for later as Thomas fought back with a most emotional Letter, a thundering Angry Dance, a beautiful Dream Ballet with James and, the icing on the cake, a brilliant I-told-you-so Electricity as it becomes Dad’s turn to watch in disbelief. Deka does this change of heart so well that we easily forgive him for his earlier misdemeanours.

The ongoing hug battle between Thomas and Ruthie was hilarious. Ruthie tried a new method and angle of disentanglement but Thomas was wise to it. Superglue eat your heart out. I wouldn’t be surprised if, on the last night, Thomas picks Ruthie up and carries her off stage.

Debbies, Beatrice and Hollie made the absolute most of their characters, the Bedlington Girls danced, sparkled and shone as ever. Jack, George M and fantastic long-serving Caspar all played their parts. In a three hour show you’d normally expect one or two dull moments but not at BETM. With the adult cast pushed to the limits to support these amazing youngsters and rising to the occasion in spectacular fashion no time is wasted. The band, separately under Mark and Chris, thrived on this score and its magical arrangements. This year, Paddy’s Day turned into Billy’s Day. I wouldn’t have missed it for the world.

Pat
MissGolightly
Audience Member

Post by MissGolightly »

Please someone say they were at last night's performance - I wish to know if Electricity was as good as I have heard :?:
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

I wasn't there last night but I looked up the tracking and it was Nat Sweeney so the answer to your question is YES. In all my viewings and reviews of Nat's shows it has proved impossible to find the words that can adequately describe the brilliance of his pure Ballet Electricity. Try to get to see it before the show ends. With the Billy schedule being fairly unpredictable It would be worth waiting to buy even a last minute Premium seat when you know he is definitely on.

Pat

Return to “Reviews - London”