August 2009 - UK Reviews

Finale
Former Admin

August 2009 - UK Reviews

Post by Finale »

Thank you everyone who contributed to the July Reviews thread. Now let's see what August brings :D
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: August 2009 - UK Reviews

Post by ERinVA »

Not a member review, but all the same.... Enjoy. :D

It appears that both the show and Tanner worked their magic on this blogger today. 8-)

http://cockingasnook.wordpress.com/2009 ... from-favd/
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
SatinandLace
Tall Boy

Post by SatinandLace »

That's a great review, but where did it mention Tanner?
~Lauren~
8xTrent 3xSam 3xLayton 2xJosh F. 4xCorey
1xFox 1xHogan 2xScott 1xRhys
4xDavid 4xKiril 1xTanner
2xCesar 1xTommy 1xJ.P.
2xDaniel 2xLex 2xGuiseppe
1xKylend 1xKaine 1xJosh B.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

It didn't. But I looked back in the Tracking Billy UK thread (should have noted that, sorry) and saw that Tanner did the matinee. :D The blogger is American, I believe, but I doubt she realized he is American. 8-)
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
BILLYFAN
Debbie

Post by BILLYFAN »

Sat 1st August Mat

Billy==Tanner
Michael==George
debbie==-Francesca x changed to Annabelle

Another very good show, my 20th,and i was pleased that Tanner was Billy as i like the ballet version of electricity
The show started nearly 6 mins. late (and finished 7 mins late) the small boy was new to me and although he was good, he didn't smile much
The breakfast scene was well played, and they had some problems with the radio, when grandma took it over to the table it was very soft,untill Billy's brother gave it a slap, which made it very loud!, big davey seem to put and extra amount of salt on his sandwitch, not very good for his blood pressure
In Shine the girls were doing there usual shoving of billy and in expressing yourself, George was proforming very well, the joke was " a flat miner"
Although Tanner is not as emotional as tom, he put it over very well
In born to boogie where Mr Braithwaite sits on the chair reading and Billy is practising Billy touches Mr b's head ( as usual)
mr B got up and his look of indignation seemed to be more pronouced, and so improved the scene
the Angry dance was very good, although there was no outside toilet, I also like the way Tanner got up to face the audience just before he left the stage
The christmas scene seat B14 was the victim telling her she looks like a Newcastle utd fan!, she took all in good part though
in Deep in the ground one of the actors dropped his tin of beer and one of the ballet girls wasn't very happy about it
Electricity was very good the clapping seemed to go on and on
there were 2 standing ovations in the final and very well deserved
there seemed to be a couple of subtile changes ( or is it Tannerisms?)
inthe audition when billy asks for a pencil he looks beggingly at all of the judges before pencil man reluctingly gives him his pencil and in the christmas scence when billys dad goes to mrs Wilkinsons house nr the end Debbies comes out holding some playing cards, and you can just hear a tv in the house, this has been on before, but I've haden't seen it in the 3 time i've seen the show
all over the show was very good the theatre was not full, but not many seats were emply
another 9 weeks untill i see billy again, of the current billys i have not seen Fox yet

20 wonderful shows GEORGE?OR JAMES? 1, LIAM 3,LEON 1, TRAVIS 1, LAYTON 2, OLIVER 1, JOSH 1, COREY 2, HOGAN 2, TANNER 3, BRAD 1, TOM 1, OLLIE 1
troscapole
Small Boy

Post by troscapole »

:D Nice review billyfan, I have to say that I have seen all the billie's several times over and they all have there on special trait.
I have seen fox on many occasions, and I saw him last night he was brilliant , a smooth running show, with fox delivering his lines clearly, his songs beautifully and his dancing amazingly!
A packed and very appreciative audience, that applauded, at every opportunity, in recoginition of fox's talent and stamina. I thought he was just so good, I have seen quite a few times recently but fox just get's better and better.
Debbie was great again delivering her lines clearly and slowly , offering up great facial expression's and deliberate and exadurated movement's.
Connor as michael, alway's entertaining and professional.
A good performancs as alternate dad.
Craig as Tony was as alway's absolutely fantastic and anne emery , it just don't get any better than that!
Bungie
Small Boy

Post by Bungie »

I was a little bit confused at first,but you have now sorted it out for me. Francesca must have played Debbie on Saturday night and Monday night. I knew it was her on the Saturday night show. :) :)
Born to Boogie
Tall Boy

Tuesday 4th August - evening

Post by Born to Boogie »

Tonight was my first time seeing Brad in the role of Billy (my 18th actor in the role of Billy) – having missed him on each of my other visits until now and I must say his performance was definitely worth the wait! It seems to me that Brad plays from the start a very confident, almost ‘cocky’ Billy whose mannerisms develop a real sarcasm towards the end of the show. This gives the impression that he is a more than able match for the other strong characters in Billy’s life and is an interesting contrast to the more fragile, exposed character which some other Billys have developed. Brad still does portray the whole range of emotions, from being confident and assured in his interaction with Jackie and Tony, through some great interaction with Anne in ‘Grandma’s Song’, to the necessary fragility in ‘The Letter’ and then on to a great development of his friendship with Michael – all offset by a more mature and confident temperament which actually well suits the slightly older-looking, taller persona which he brings to the part. I was particularly impressed with Brad’s vocals this evening – which were strong and well pitched. His dance was executed phenomenally well – giving the real impression as the show develops that he is ‘learning’ and finally showing what he is capable of during ‘Electricity’ which itself was excellent – from the strong, confident, excellently paced vocals at the beginning to the pirouettes at the end. I noticed tonight the ‘flip’ of the 50p coin when Billy picks it up from the kitchen unit (which I gather is a recent introduction) followed by Billy’s brief contemplation of it. I think this is a very clever touch indeed. I commented a couple of weeks ago about how strong I thought Fleur was in the role of Debbie and I have to say that this evening Annabelle matched Fleur’s performance then in every way. I really believe that the current Debbies are amongst the best ever and display that strength of character - yet also with a vulnerable absent-mindedness - the balance of which I believe is the hallmark of a successful 'Debbie'. I particularly noticed the way Debbie sized Billy up during the ‘look at a spot on that wall’ scene today. George as Michael once again gave a great take on each part of his role and I noticed again today especially how his expression changes during the final scene as Billy walks away down theatre. George held his gaze at Billy perfectly - but let his expression crumple with emotion towards the end of the slow curtain-fall. His ‘clothes scene’ is hilarious – especially his facial expressions which say everything! Is there ever a performance where George doesn’t beat the Billy to getting the shoes on first?! Finally it was great to see Eliot enjoying his role as Small Boy so much and putting in such a good performance – surely a talent to watch out for in the future! Excellent work everyone and thanks for another memorable show with the 'House Full' sign outside which is surely good news!
pinknick103
Tony

Post by pinknick103 »

Was the lovely Barnaby on last night. Havnt seen him and Brad together yet. Would imagine that dream ballet with them 2 is wow wow wow xxxx
Dean x1, Leon x1, Trent x1, Josh x12, Layton x10, Corey x5, Fox x10, Tom x15, Brad x5,Ollie x7,Tanner x2, Dean CC x 9, Aaron x 2, Rhys x3, Scott x5, Ryan x10, Adam x2, Kaine x5, Harris x3, Harrison x12, Redmond x3, Ali x1
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

Thursday Matinee 6th August

Ollie, Jake, Fleur

Ollie raised his own bar in the matinee performance with a stunning display of acting singing and dancing with the highlight being a magnificent, breathtaking and all-action Electricity (with wall-flip) that had the almost capacity audience drooling. This was a stupendous effort from Ollie who has gone from strength to strength since his 12th May debut a mere three months ago or even less. It is such a joy to be able to see a new Billy make his debut and then take his performances to new heights as the weeks and months go by. I can only imagine the amount of hard work and dedication that has brought Ollie to this point with, I have no doubt, more to follow. Can't wait for that more. The cheering, yahooing and standing ovations were thoroughly deserved and you could see his enjoyment of it.

The hilarious Jake was back in business after his break and the audience which had been involved right from the start took to him bigtime in Expressing. One of Jake's best lines "Me dad does it all the time" was lost due to his mic not being turned up but he got revenge by letting rip with the next few that had the crowd rocking in the aisles. During this act the pink/white door stubbornly remained open despite Jake banging it shut without breaking his stride and it took another sturdy blow from Ollie in one swift movement to finally nail it shut. You'd have thought it was all part of the act. There was no falling-down Dress today.
In the boxing scene after Ollie's brilliant Lionel Blair routine Jake connected with one of the all-time great punches and Ollie responded by going down poleaxed and looking like he wasn't getting up. Jake did more damage a few moments later when he took Trevor out with as good a below-the-belt blow as is ever likely to be landed.

Fleur wasn't to be outdone and her lively, cheerful and cheeky Debbie offering was cooked to perfection. Tracey Atkinson and Susan Parkes burnt a huge amount of energy showing off their respective brilliantly exaggerated "bad dancing" routines. That must be real fun to do on the stage knowing you can do it as "bad" as you like.

Ann Emery was just magnificent, magnificent, magnificent. She has summoned up even more reserves of energy these past few weeks and how I adore her routine in the Finale.

The entire cast were in super form and the smiles all around during the happy and joyful finale was evidence that they had enjoyed thrilling and entertaining yet another 1500 people again and were looking forward to doing it all again in the evening.

Just a couple of very small points about the music that I love so much with all its wonderful arrangements. Maybe my ears are being affected by all this flying but I thought that the music we heard during the second Letter had a different sound this afternoon. I'm not sure I liked it although a second hearing or so might change that opinion. Also, when the note was given to Ollie for Electricity I thought I heard another instrument (a string ?) hit the note at the same time.

Pat

Return to “Reviews Archive”