New (and not so new) Cast News

ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: New (and not so new) Cast News

Post by ERinVA »

Which I very much doubt. Bringing in Americans to play Billy is one thing, but importing Americans to be in the ensemble is an entirely different matter.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
dancingboy
Billy

Post by dancingboy »

James Butcher already plays alternate Older Billy and I haven't heard that he is leaving.
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

ERinVA wrote:Which I very much doubt. Bringing in Americans to play Billy is one thing, but importing Americans to be in the ensemble is an entirely different matter.
While I take your point (and it works the other way, too - UK thespians coming to perform on Broadway have to jump hurdles), Kevin Spacey (an American who has almost singularly resuscitated The Old Vic) may have a view (and a pretty convincing voice) on the matter.

The simple truth is that there is a quid-pro-quo 'understanding' between US and UK Equity - and the subject of getting a short term work permit is quite straightforward, if the union restrictions are satisfied. The present US cast will have had to apply for visas on tour in Canada - slightly different requirements, as they are on a brief tour, are not resident, are employed by a foreign entity, and their employment does not impinge upon Canadian actors seeking employment. But there is no reason why an ensemble cast member could not perform in the West End, if all requirements were met, just as for a UK actor working on Broadway.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

If there was no UK actor/dancer to fill the bill, then perhaps, but that is not the case. Yes, there are actors that regularly work on both sides of the Atlantic, but I would say that most of them are a bit higher profile than average. Of course, if you can exercise your "pull," maybe it will happen. ;) :D
Ellen

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

There is absolutely no reason whatsoever to look for anyone else to play principal Older Billy. James Butcher does a fantastic job. In recent times I have actually seen him perform more often than Barnaby which, hopefully, suggests he is to take over the role.

Pat
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

Go home Billy wrote:
patc wrote:There is absolutely no reason whatsoever to look for anyone else to play principal Older Billy. James Butcher does a fantastic job.
Agreed Pat, but if James takes over the main role then a new alternate will be needed.

There are enough 'resting' actors and dancers over here so there should be no necessity to import someone from overseas.
......except several very talented Billys.......
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

The issue isn't about Billys. It's about Older Billys.
Ellen

kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

Indeed so. My apologies for trying to inject some humour.

Return to “Cast Leavers & Arrivers - London”