BILLY ELLIOT PRESENTATIONS

A place of its own for polls

WHAT WAS YOUR FAVORITE BILLY ELLIOT THE MUSICAL PRODUCTION?

1) WEST END PROFESSIONAL PRODUCTION
36%
2) BROADWAY PROFESSIONAL PRODUCTION
5%
3) FIRST BROADWAY TOUR PROFESSIONAL PRODUCTION
5%
4) SECOND BROADWAY TOUR PROFESSIONAL PRODUCTION
14%
5) INTERNATIONAL CITY PROFESSIONAL PRODUCTION
No votes
6) LOCAL OR REGIONAL PROFESSIONAL PRODUCTION
9%
7) UK/IRELAND TOUR PROFESSIONAL PRODUCTION
18%
8) LOCAL AMATEUR PRODUCTION
14%
9) LOCAL SCHOOL PRODUCTION
No votes
10) FILM PRODUCTION
No votes

Total votes: 22

madashell
Small Boy

Re: BILLY ELLIOT PRESENTATIONS

Post by madashell »

JOIN THE FORUM AND VOTE FOR YOUR FAVORITE PRESENTATION

We need more votes to make the poll more informative, especially from people who attended different productions.
accessmenj
Mr Braithwaite

Post by accessmenj »

Those of us who have attended the local productions have witnessed the positive effect that a presentation of Billy Elliot The Musical has on a large number of children in the dance community. This is a good reason why local theater companies that have presented BETM should consider doing it again.
Children age-out of the roles, so in order to allow everyone to experience the inspiration of performing the show, it should be presented every few years. Any theater group that has a youth program should make this show available to everyone as they pass through the 10 to 13 year old age group.
Please comment and vote in the poll. If you are not a member of this forum, please register, vote and support any local productions. Local kids will benefit.
madashell
Small Boy

Post by madashell »

The original is still the best! Is there anyone who saw the West End Production and still preferred another production?
LiamM
Technical Advisor
Technical Advisor

Post by LiamM »

Yes. I preferred Toronto. The rising bedroom set is cool, but I don't think it actually tells the story better than the Chicago/Toronto set. (I seem to recall some talk about the original Angry Dance being better, but I don't recall it in enough details to comment on that.) Toronto also had the best stage door.
ALLMIXEDUP
Small Boy

Post by ALLMIXEDUP »

Yes! The stage door after the show can be a big part of picking the favorite presentation. The performers at The Venice Theater in Florida hustled around to the front lobby to greet and talk with the audience on their way out. This friendly exchange was very comfortable since we knew that they wanted to talk, and we were not intruding on their privacy or their desire to get home. The bright lobby and the hundreds of people made for a safer environment for all, especially the kids. Some dark and deserted stage doors can be a bit creepy for the last to leave.
accessmenj
Mr Braithwaite

Post by accessmenj »

The Media Theater also had the Ballet Girls in the front lobby as the audience left. It made for a nice ending to an enjoyable presentation.
madashell
Small Boy

Post by madashell »

Maybe most of the people who saw Billy Elliot The Musical in New York, Chicago and Toronto have left the forum since it was awhile ago? There were hundreds of thousands of people who viewed the show in these cities, yet only one forum member favored New York, one favored Toronto, and no one thought Chicago was the best production. Is this forum not being followed by the former fanatics?
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

madashell wrote:Maybe most of the people who saw Billy Elliot The Musical in New York, Chicago and Toronto have left the forum since it was awhile ago? There were hundreds of thousands of people who viewed the show in these cities, yet only one forum member favored New York, one favored Toronto, and no one thought Chicago was the best production. Is this forum not being followed by the former fanatics?
In response to your last point:

When a new thread is placed on the Forum, it may be viewed ca <>10 times in the first week or so. When the Tour was taking place, that number would be several times as much. When the Broadway show was on, even more. So, yes, there is less interest in posting - and reading posts. I continue to post, in the first-hand knowledge that some parents and actors, past, and one hopes in the future, enjoy the Forum as a source of facts and statistics available to them, should they have a question.

My query is more focused: will there be a professional English-speaking renaissance of this show in the next five or so years, or has it had its day? The franchise, according to MTI licenses issued, is fairly moribund - and has been for more than a year. It seems to be popular in Latin countries - Mexico, Italy and Spain - as well as South Korea - but relatively little else seems to be happening in the US, Canada or UK. Australia has been noticeably silent since its last professional show ended - over seven years ago.

I still think there needs to be a 'school version' made for Broadway Junior productions (a category MTI markets)..........based along the version produced for dancing/acting schools in the UK a decade ago. The message is a strong one, for school pupils.
accessmenj
Mr Braithwaite

Post by accessmenj »

Since I seem to prefer an amateur production to a glitzy professional production, I agree that a school production is needed. I would support any local school production where the Billy only has to show potential rather than superstar qualities( brow of Zeus ). This would allow many more schools to stage BETM.
accessmenj
Mr Braithwaite

Post by accessmenj »

Anyone who enjoyed the productions in Europe, Asia, Australia or the Americas, please vote for the International Professional Production, and then mention in remarks where and why. I can’t believe that not one vote came from these dozens of venues.

Return to “Polls”