Best House Seats for BETM

A place of its own for polls

Best House Seats

Poll ended at Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:03 pm

Orchestra - Front row is the only way to go!
69%
Orchestra - Second to fifth row - close but not too close.
23%
Orchestra - Traditional "best" 6th to 12th row - I like to be close but also take in the big picture!
8%
Orchestra - 13th row and back - it's more fun in the back of the bus!
No votes
Mezzanine - Front row UP HIGH is the only way to go!
No votes
Mezzanine - Second to fifth row
No votes
Balcony - have to get my BETM fix but don't want to spend too much.
No votes

Total votes: 13

jotunheim
Tall Boy

Best House Seats for BETM

Post by jotunheim »

I thought it would be interesting to get a snapshot of everyone's opinion on what they consider the best seats to see BETM.

For purposes of this poll, I am assuming a generic North American theatre. I know there are distinct disadvantages to being up very close at the London production, due to the high elevation of the stage relative to the orchestra seating.

Assume pricing is a minimal factor and the overwhelming factor is seat preference. Poll is set to run for 30 days.
North American Tour - (15):

Milwaukee, WI - July 2012 - (1): Noah
St. Paul, MN - October 2012 - (4): Ben x2, Zach, Noah
Omaha, NE - December 2012 - (3): Ben x2, Noah
E. Lansing, MI - January 2013 - (3): Mitchell/Ben (split), Drew, Noah
San Diego, CA - May 2013 - (1): Mitchell/Noah (split)
Grand Rapids, MI - June 2013 - (3): Mitchell, Drew, Noah
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Best House Seats for BETM

Post by ERinVA »

You didn't add the holy of holies. which is a seat in the first row on the aisle where Billy climbs down with his suitcase and exits after saying goodbye to Michael.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
rob_hanson1979
George

Post by rob_hanson1979 »

In the context of BETM, I vote for the front row.
My vote would change if we were talking about other theatre experiences. For example, shows like Wicked and Phantom of the Opera make more use of the set space and so I would prefer to be a little further back so I can see everything.
For the Lion King, I would want front row of the balcony, since there is action all through the theatre, so you get a great scope of everything.
For concerts and ballets, I prefer to be as close as possible. I find being able to see the faces and bodies up close greatly adds to my enjoyment.
And Billy.... obviously... the closer the better. That way the cast can see that I know all the words to Merry Christmas Maggie Thatcher :-)
jotunheim
Tall Boy

Post by jotunheim »

ERinVA - funny you should mention that. I originally had these seats twice in St. Paul, but theatre management called and insisted I turn these tickets in since there was a "severe stair obstruction" and these seats had to be blocked out.

Rob - I would agree with you with regards to BETM and the other theatrical experiences you mentioned, but wanted to see what the consensus was on site.
North American Tour - (15):

Milwaukee, WI - July 2012 - (1): Noah
St. Paul, MN - October 2012 - (4): Ben x2, Zach, Noah
Omaha, NE - December 2012 - (3): Ben x2, Noah
E. Lansing, MI - January 2013 - (3): Mitchell/Ben (split), Drew, Noah
San Diego, CA - May 2013 - (1): Mitchell/Noah (split)
Grand Rapids, MI - June 2013 - (3): Mitchell, Drew, Noah
jdmag44
Michael

Post by jdmag44 »

My vote is front row (or 2-4) Close is best for this show. I prefer center och but towards the left where all the action is.
cws8998
Ballet Girl

Post by cws8998 »

Rob is right on target and I concur with all observations.

Particularly, sitting up close for BE allows you to "feel" an intimate part of the action; it allows one to occasionally unscramble the dialogue (not so much for most of us who have memorized most of it); and frankly for me, to experience the magnificent faces of the younger cast, is priceless in thoroughly enjoying the musical.

Must tell you, I recently saw Les Mis twice within a three week time line. The show I sat in the first row of the loge (really a decent seat at the Cadillac Palace in Chicago); and the second time in the orchestra, fifth row on the aisle. I was profoundly affected by sitting up close for this spectaclar musical, as I was so emotionally moved by my proximity to the stage, such to the point, if there were a rifle availabe I'd want to join the young revolutionaries at the barricade This show felt altogether like a different experience sitting up close enough to feel a part of the action.

Regards, Colin
rob_hanson1979
George

Post by rob_hanson1979 »

Hey, so I went to see the Nutcracker last night, and we were in the 4th row. Those seats were quite good because we were close enough to see everything (and the orchestra) but back a bit to take everything in.
But it got me to thinking about one more aspect I forgot. If you are in the front row, with no heads obstructing your view, it sort of gives the impression that the show is being performed just for you. There is no other audience in the way. you guys are right that it makes for an intimate performance... even if there are 2000 other people behind you.
Plus in the front row, no chances of any super tall people having that seat RIGHT in front of you, haha!
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

jotunheim wrote:ERinVA - funny you should mention that. I originally had these seats twice in St. Paul, but theatre management called and insisted I turn these tickets in since there was a "severe stair obstruction" and these seats had to be blocked out.
It depends on the theatre, and on tour, every one is different, of course. But an aisle seat a couple of rows back can still be a great choice (unless the theatre's configuration doesn't even allow Billy to exit up an aisle at all, as is the case in some places).
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.

Return to “Polls”