Post by kport »

I am proud beyond measure to be a part of this amazing show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_P_cZl ... acd3975519
atreyu
George

Re: Hunchback of Notre Dame - Ogunquit Playhouse

Post by atreyu »

kport wrote:I am proud beyond measure to be a part of this amazing show:
You have excellent reason to be proud. I had the privilege of sitting in the front row for the Friday July 22 performance and OMG the singing is fantastic! Particularly Bradley Dean who plays Claude Frollo, but everyone in the entire cast can really sing. And yes, the 32-person choir - of which kport is a member - plays an important role throughout and sounds wonderful as well.

The storytelling was by far the weakest part of the work, in my opinion. I have not seen the movie and can imagine that the animation allows a lot that can't be translated to the stage. There is a lot of narration over the stage activities which at times does not work all that well and can even be cringe-worthy, unfortunately.

But all the other components are pretty good. The set is nicely done with impressive bells. The structures are pretty tall and a few sets of stairs are involved so together with the Alan Menken music, there are reminders of Newsies. With a lot of the focus occurring at elevation, there were extended times when sitting in the front row required looking almost straight up.

On the other hand, front row was a great spot to hear a whole lot of direct sound. Several numbers featured the entire cast of 20 or so plus the choir in full throat and it was simply glorious! Somewhat like Les Mis although a different experience, reflecting a thoroughly different story plus including dialog, not fully sung-through.

The music is a serious work. This isn't your typical Disney fare and that is not to pass judgment either good or bad. I love Alan Menken's work, the man is a genius. The tone of this story is darker and serious and the music matches quite well. The program lists 17 musical numbers in each of Act 1 and 2, which provides opportunity for each of the leads to shine in at least a couple places. Won't say the tunes are the most memorable, especially compared to other Menken compositions, but supports this work just fine.

So once again Ogunquit is a fine target to visit this summer for arts and entertainment. A hearty Bravo to kport and the entire cast and crew of Hunchback!
atreyu
George

Post by atreyu »

From Broadway World:
BWW REVIEW: Voices and Emotions Soar in Ogunquit's HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME
THE HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME has been in development by Disney Theatricals with an eye toward a Broadway transfer. It received its world premiere at the La Jolla Playhouse in California and went on to Paper Mill Playhouse in New Jersey last year. This Ogunquit production is the first new staging since its rights were licensed regionally.

Whether or not Disney Theatricals still aspires to bring the musical to Broadway is uncertain. But what director Shaun Kerrison and the entire Ogunquit creative team have proven with this exquisite production is that THE HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME can succeed. Book issues aside, the Alan Menken and Stephen Schwartz score soars, and with performances like those delivered by Bradley Dean, F. Michael Haynie, Christopher Johnstone, Paolo Montalban, Sydney Morton and the Entire company and choir, Quasimodo's humanity can melt the hardest stone-cold heart.
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

Well, The Hunchback of Notre Dame has wrapped up. The last week has seen sold out shows with waiting lists for standing room only. It is fair to state that this production, and Billy Elliot two years ago, have been the most successful - and daring - shows undertaken by this theatre. Both exceeded all expectations. At this point, the question remains: what next for HOND? It will be seen regionally in a number of theatres, but will it ever open on Broadway? This fine review tackles that question:

http://www.onstageblog.com/reviews/2016 ... -playhouse
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

I was fortunate to have seen the show last Wednesday. It was especially nice to be joined by several other friends / BETM fans to experience it together. It's a dark story, but the staging and performances were out of this world.

Alan Menken's score is beautiful. Probably my main criticism would be that many of the songs (30-40%) sound like they could be part of his "All Purpose Disney Musical Score", and could be easily interchanged with numbers from other Disney musicals. However, the majority of the score is brilliant and works so well with this dark story.

The large choir in the loft above the stage was a huge bonus and made the overall vocal sound very full and lush. Congrats to Kport for his role in the choir! The overall staging, sets, lighting, etc. were clearly of Broadway quality. Well done Ogunquit Playhouse!
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

I think this sum things up very well:

http://www.playbill.com/article/what-ev ... -hunchback
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

A moving tribute to the Victims of Orlando, Dallas, and Police Violence by the Hunchback Cast:

http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/ST ... e-20160814

Return to “All Other Regional Productions”