Phantom Of The Opera

Post by sfo »

So who has seen Phantom Of The Opera
Muppet
Michael

Re: Phantom Of The Opera

Post by Muppet »

I have 3 times.

As a piece of 'art' it is technically brilliant.

Unlike Les Mis or BETM though, I failed to have an emotional response to it, but it is still very good! :)
electric
Small Boy

Post by electric »

I don't like Phantom of the Opera.

Everyone kept telling me that I needed to see it, but when I finally went I was just sitting there waiting for it to end. It felt like the same two songs being repeated over and over, and the story didn't connect with me at all. I mean, there are posters all over proclaiming Phantom to be "London's Greatest Love Story", but I honestly thought it was just creepy and sketchy (what with the Phantom obsessing over Christine and all).

What also didn't help was that the audience I saw the show with was horrible. It seemed to be made up mostly of tourists with little interest in musicals who wanted to tick off "See A Musical In London" from their list of sights to see. I was unfortunate enough to be sitting on an aisle, and countless times I had people squeezing past me to go to the bathroom. During the show. Seriously, who does that? Can't you hold your pee in for another 20 minutes until interval? Needless to say, I was so distracted that I found it hard to get into the show. Overall, it was a bad theatre experience.
London:
Billy: Tanner x2, Fox x2, Tom x2, Brad x1
Micheal: Lewis x3, George x3, Dean x1

New York:
Billy: Trent x1
Micheal: Frank x1
hammy
Ballet Girl

Post by hammy »

I think we're going to see this in April.
Leon 2/05/07, Josh 28/12/07, Corey 16/06/08, Corey 12/07/08, Layton 28/08/08, Tanner 27/12/08, Fox 4/07/09, Tom 15/08/2009, Tom (5th Anniversary show) - 31/3/2010, Rhys 21/10/10
chocchipcookie26
Tony

Post by chocchipcookie26 »

I might be going in May, because great friend's of my Mums daughter is playing Christine.. she was also on I'd Do Anything but didn't get to the final 12 because she wasn't really rough around the edges enough for Nancy.. amazing voice though!
x
chocchipcookie26
Tony

Post by chocchipcookie26 »

Current or going to be soon Christine (Not sure):
At 8:17
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2QRW1jfGPI
My Parents are good friends of her parents :)
x
PaulWilly
Ballet Girl

Post by PaulWilly »

Had posted this in the "Multimedia & Gallery" thread already -
just as it is "Phantom of the Opera" related and as the young
man is really doing great I think - here again:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hftLi8UJPD0

(http://www.billyelliottheforum.me.uk/fo ... 205#p49205)
“It is a great show that people do come and see. Because it's not
just a show for adults, or just for children, or just for people that
like theatre, I'd say for everyone, and it's got so much emotion
behind it. Because who ever comes and sees it, feels the story -
so I think: it's brilliant!" (GM)
dongringo
Debbie

Post by dongringo »

I've seen Phantom four times, in Portland, SLC, San Fran and NY. I like it primarily for it's dark mood and soundtrack. The love triangle storyline is very simple, but I have enjoyed it every time. It never had much of an emotional impact though. When it was over, it was over, totally unlike BETM which is obviously emotionally involving to the point of being a life changing experience.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

Philip Griffiths, who plays Monsieur Reyer and the auctioneer, has broken the Guinness World record for the longest time performing in the same production. He has been in this show for 25 years and 185 days. Wow!!!

http://www.playbill.com/article/phantom ... rld-record
Real Geordie
Ballet Girl

Post by Real Geordie »

I’m pleased I saw this last week in the original venue, Her Majesty's Theatre, with a residency of over thirty years. It had the feel of a production which was very well polished, which is not always there with a touring company. The twenty seven piece orchestra was worth the ticket price alone. Costumes and sets were spectacular, along with the special effects. Nearly had my eyebrows singed. Sadly, from a personal point of view, the plotline was the weakest part - it all felt slightly bonkers ! Still, you pays your money and you takes your choice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XQ_Ewetygs

Return to “Discuss all other Shows - UK”