https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__d2FMCtgi4
Very funny! :D Thanks!

"Good writers define reality; bad ones merely restate it." -Edward Albee
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: Les Misérables

Post by CJ-Rochester »

This past week Billy Whiz and I saw Les Mis. Killian Donnelly (who played Tony in London) is the current Jean Valjean. We had seen Killian last year as Charlie in Kinky Boots, and had heard great things about him as Valjean. Unfortunately he was on holiday that week.

There's a reason the London production of LES MIS has run for 30 years. We were treated to an evening of absolute brilliance. The talent on this stage is some of the best I've seen play these roles. Fantine sang like an angel. Javert was fierce and powerful, but made his big songs look easy, while he blew out the back wall of the theatre. Adam BayJou as Valjean (Killian's alternate) was incredible beyond words. His Bring Him Home made me cry, and we were both in tears at the very end. The entire show was a musical ecstasy. I thought I would have no interest in seeing another Les Mis, but was proven me wrong. Anyone who gets to London should put this on their list to see!
-Chris
cheltonian
Small Boy

Re: Les Misérables

Post by cheltonian »

I saw Les Mis, in London, for the first time a few weeks ago, I was really looking forward to it. I have to say I was disappointed by it, for me it didn't live up to its reputation. To be fair, there may be an element in which having seen the film spoilt the show for me. The performers in the West End were great, in many cases better singers that their counterparts in the film, but it had nowhere near the same dramatic impact. This may have been in part due to the limits of a stage production, particularly in terms of scenery, as opposed to filming on location, and the much warned about bangs and flashes were laughably week and ineffective and in no way conveyed a real sense of battle or danger. I also quickly tired of the turntable which seemed gimmicky and overused. I was also surprised, and disappointed, that Gavroche seemed much less noticeable a role in the stage production than in the film, perhaps because the boy on the night was little more than adequate and could not approach the personality shown by Daniel Huttlestone in the film. The girl that played young Cosette was much better.

Perhaps, for the moment, BETM has spoilt all other musicals for me and nothing else matches up, but I'm not sure that I would bother to see this show again. So it's not the 2nd best for all BETM addicts, I much prefer Phantom!

Return to “Discuss all other Shows - UK”