Re: Publicity - Norway

Post by Billy123 »

Todd
Dad

Post by Todd »

cglaid wrote:
Lola wrote:http://www.tv2.no/play/underholdning/go ... ?wf=latest

Kevin, Sebastian (Michael) and other young cast members perform a mash-up of songs on "God Morgen Norge" - Good Morning Norway :D
This production will certainly be different. I'm looking forward to reviews!
It all looks so juvenile. Like I could've not only choreographed it, but danced it as well. (And I am not a dancer). But, he has a lovely voice.
Yeah, I was thinking it looked dangerously close to a middle school production, rather than professional. But as Ellen said, maybe it's still a work in progress and will come together by the time they arrive at Opening Night.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

I think that as the show expands through other countries and regions, we are going to have to accept the fact that the productions are not going to be clones of the original. But I think Billy's story is universal enough that it will appeal to audiences regardless of the differences.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

I agree entirely. BETM around the world (I cannot vouch for Korea) has followed the playbook, and especially the choreography, established by the London production, pretty closely. Ogunquit saw the first variations from this, although we were told that all changes were discussed and approved by Peter Darling. How far the latter will allow these changes to deviate in upcoming productions remains to be seen, but releasing the licensing rights to MTI may have allowed these changes to occur without permission from the original choreographer and production teams. One would have to be privy to the contracts and license agreements to know for sure.

If regionals are to be of short duration (and commensurately short preparation time), then the choreography will have to be simplified, or even cut in some scenes. Requiring standards that are too difficult for anything other than a union scale production will effectively limit regionals to a few large venues each year, which would effectively end BETM 'as we know it' outside of a big city 'sit-down' runs or (inter)national Tours.

Additionally, I have hoped that the same creative team behind BETM/London would create a schools/amateur version for hire, perhaps based on lessons learned from the Billy Youth Theatre experiment. I realize that the whole issue is well beyond my knowledge, besides what I have pieced together from chats with B.T. and Adam, and others in 'the biz', but at present it seems the upcoming regionals are a bit of a mish-mash of approaches (and licenses) which may - or may not - suit the future. I prefer to call them 'evolutionary efforts' or 'works in progress', and not the finished article.

There is no doubt the video snippets of the Norwegian production looks more 'local' than 'professional' but, if it brings pleasure to those folk and suits their aspirations, why not? I suspect the Dutch version will have a Dutch flair to it. Neither will be slavish reproductions of London's example. So what? I totally agree with Ellen that this story is too powerful to be consigned to just one interpretation. I just think that it needs to decide,over time, how best it can be produced regionally, in local semi-pro and amateur theaters, and in schools. Les Mis found out how to do just that, and it is not an easy show to put on.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

I expect the Dutch production to adhere pretty closely to the London version. The London creatives were involved in the casting of the kids in this production, as we have seen, and Elliot's appearance with the Dutch Billys makes the connection between the London and Dutch production teams pretty obvious.

But this is the Norway thread, so back to Norway, where, for all we know, Billy may find a troll under that bridge that he and Michael run under in the film. ;)

Wow! I just had a vision of giant trolls in dresses dancing in Express! :lol: They could have done that instead of the "Vegas show girls."
Ellen

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
thm
Miner

Post by thm »

The video itself (instagram!) taken with a small mobile camera shurely was not meant to advertise the show. Then again - did I see Kevin wearing bell-bottoms ? I hope they were just his grandma's loaned not to let the proper ones get dirty before the opening night. As far as I remember these went out of date years before 1984. I never wore those - and I finished school in 1984. And those who did wear bell-bottoms, got bullied.
I will see shortly, just got a reminder from the theatre to use the VIP entrance in good time before the show - there's a free drink waiting for me at my reserved place at the theatre's bar. 8-)
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Here's a much more promising publicity feature from NRK TV:

http://tv.nrk.no/serie/dagsrevyen/NNFA0 ... 14#t=31m5s
Ellen

thm
Miner

Post by thm »

Yes, that's better. The Billy bit starts at about 31st minute.
Billy123
Tall Boy

Post by Billy123 »

Older billy looks very different! http://instagram.com/p/tFTR0qSSS8/
thm
Miner

Post by thm »

Swan Lake is one of the best bits in the show. Yes Older Billy weares a swan cap. The choreography is the same as London.
There are only few bits different like: Older Billy gives Billy a little push and he lifts up more rapid than London. The wire flight looks more ballistic as Billy comes down again promptly taking the applause standing down on the stagefloor.
To add a bit of review here: Swanlake yesterday at the dress rehearsal was absolute fantastic - every move - and both were dancing synchronous. The larger and deeper stage here in Oslo with a canvas in the background adds even more to that scene.

Return to “Chat About BETM - Norway (2014/15 Production)”