Chat about Billy Elliot Denmark

ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Chat about Billy Elliot Denmark

Post by ERinVA »

According to this article, which I read with the help of Google Translate, it seems that there will be auditions in Copenhagen November 2 and 3 in anticipation of a 2015 production of the show there.

http://www.skanskan.se/article/20131003 ... -kopenhamn
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
accessmenj
Mr Braithwaite

Re: Looks like BETM is going to Denmark

Post by accessmenj »

I guess that this means that they are convinced that there is a sufficient number of children available to meet the requirements of Danish law. Perhaps the movie "Billy Elliot" has inspired enough young boys to dance.

The Netherlands, then Denmark! I hope Germany is next.
Lola
Tall Boy

Post by Lola »

I read this yesterday and couldn't believe it at first. The Netherlands AND Denmark? That would be awesome!
Someone at tumblr said that this theatre in Kopenhagen always has great, highly quality productions with their own staging. They usually don' perform replicas of the staging, so she said...We don't know if they'd do this with Billy Elliot, too, but that would be exciting. But well, let's wait for more information.
DenP
Small Boy

Post by DenP »

It's true, I just received an email from Det Ny Theater in Copenhagen informing that they have obtained the rights for BETM. Opening night foreseen for January 2015. Auditions for Billy and Michael will be held in November:

http://www.detnyteater.dk/jobs/?utm_sou ... Elliot+m.m.

This year I saw Love Never Dies at Det Ny Teater and was very impressed with the quality of the production. According to the information on the website BETM is programmed from January - May 2015 so it will be for a limited period.
Eltonjohn
Miner

Post by Eltonjohn »

Would these two European productions be performed in english?
BETM: "the most expensive school play ever."
Lee Hall
in Playbill October 2008
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

I don't know about the one in Denmark, but the one in the Netherlands will be performed in Dutch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_USTERh ... redirect=1

To find out more about the Dutch production, check out the Netherlands section here:

http://www.billyelliottheforum.me.uk/fo ... 140&t=1376
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
DenP
Small Boy

Post by DenP »

No doubt about it that the production in Copenhagen will be performed in Danish. Love Never Dies earlier this year was translated in Danish as well. Besides: letting a Danish cast in Denmark perform in English seems very unlikely.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxGGFNN68nA
thm
Miner

Post by thm »

ERinVA wrote:According to this article, which I read with the help of Google Translate, it seems that there will be auditions in Copenhagen ...
Here I dared a translation of that article w/o the help of 'google-transmess'

Musical Billy Elliot in preparation in Copenhagen

That is impossible, that cannot be done. That was the first thought, theatre boss Niels-Bo Valbro had when he sat in the Victoria Palace Theatre beeing so fascinated of BETM that he wanted to stage that musical in his own theatre in Copenhagen. But now it shall become real. Opening Night will be in January 2015.

...(Explaining what BE is about)...

The musical demands much of the kids who play Billy and Michael and it demands much of the theatre, says Niels-Bo Valbro, boss of Det Ny Teater (The New Theatre) in Copenhagen. There are no kids at all who would be capable of doing everything what is needed to play the role. And furthermore are there barely few adults to find who could do ballet, tap, streetdance, sing and act. One cannot expect there are kids who can do all that natively.

Over the years Det Ny Teater has staged a number of plays/musicals with kids involved. Most recently in Love Never Dies which has a big role for a kid, earlier fx Annie and Sound of Music. And the kids have been doing their work excellently - therefore I now believe that it is possible to do Billy Elliot. Possible but difficult, says Niels-Bo Valbro.

In London they set up special boarding schools for the kids who play in the show. Billy Elliot - London is non-intermittent running for 8 years.

How many hours per week must the kids rehearse for the roles?
That depends on the skills they already have. The training will be individual and shall last one whole year.

Have you been talking to the producers in London and New York and did they give some advise?
The kids there lived in boarding schools since they came from all over the US/UK. Denmark is not so big, therefor we won't have such schools. But it will however get to be a huge piece of work that the kids will have to take on them.

Niels-Bo Valbro looks forward to the work with the musical.
Billy Elliot is one of the greatest theater experiences I had have myself and thatswhy I could not get rid of the idea. The musical is captivating. If anyone asks me for a tip what to see in London, I always answer: if only you have a day, go and see Billy Elliot that'll go strait to your heart.

The success of the staging depends on whether we find the right kids for the roles. Three boys shall alternate in the respective role.. Young swedish boys who can speak danish are also welcome to the auditions.
We had have many swedish artists here and kids can even more easily learn another language. It is no prerequsit to have done ballet but they must show us a dance. And they have to apply beforehand, says Niels-Bo Valbro.

Facts:
Auditions are held on 2/3 of November at Det Ny Teater in Copenhagen. The theater wants boys 9-13 years old and not taller than 1,60m
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

Wow, thank you for all the work you put in to translate this!

Sean
thm
Miner

Post by thm »

It seems like they've found the Billys. According to the theaters website there will be auditions for the ballet girls, Debbie, Small- and Tallboy on January 5th.
Rehearsals start november 2014.

On 9th/10th February will there be auditions for the ensemble, Tony, George and Mr B.

Return to “Chat About Billy Elliot - Denmark”