Publicity - Denmark

kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: Publicity - Denmark

Post by kport »

I recall one time when the 'ash' fell into a ballet girl's eye. Ruthie was horrified.

And another occasion when the cigarette flipped out of her fingers at the same moment.......she scooped it up off the floor with hardly a pause.

In smaller theatres, I have heard patrons complain that the smell of the erstatz smoke is discomforting for those in the front rows. One wonders: if in a production the ciggies were left out, would the story suffer as a result? Most patrons these days would hardly notice the absence of cigarettes.
thm
Miner

Post by thm »

Thanks, Finnick, for the video link. There's also an article http://m.bt.dk/film-og-tv/se-drengene-d ... r-billy-el - I'll translate it maybe tomorrow.
In the video I hear 'Electricity' goes "..det er som om jeg flyver, flyver som en fugl, som et stjerneskud, som et stjerneskud gnistrer indeni..." (...it's like I would fly, fly like a bird, like a shooting star , like a shooting star twinkles within...)

Since the Norwegian and Dutch productions didn't get the rights to do a recording, I assume there won't be one available either, but I hope for the lyrics in the program.

Speaking of the program, to anyone who might be attending the Danish show on the opening night or friday or saturday: I received 2 Souvenirbrochures from the Dutch production. So one is to give away. Let me know if anyone cares - else I won't have it with me then.
Finnick
Audience Member

Re: smoking on stage

Post by Finnick »

I agree about fake cigs - and hopefully burning a car on stage won't harm them either :?
thm
Miner

Post by thm »

BT article : http://m.bt.dk/film-og-tv/se-drengene-d ... r-billy-el

By Kenan Seeberg
Here a translation( by Google and me ;) ):

See the boys who have learned the crazyest things in record time: This is how 'Billy Elliot' is going to be like!

"Sometimes you need to turn off the brain and just throw yourself into it" Oscar Dietz looks one straight in the eye when he talks about the last frantic months. And then he adds: "Of course one must also think about it. But even if you are afraid, then there's something you just have to throw yourself into. Then you can always think about it afterwards."

Since December 2012 [2013!], he participated in the most demanding training ever in connection with the staging of a Danish musical. Along with six other boys between 11 and 14. Three to alternately play Billy Elliot, and four who will play his friend Michael.

BT has attended the first rehearsals with full scenery and dressing, and it seems the theatre's dashing (and expensive) venture will give it all back.
Billy Elliot is flying. And is already like an artistic and economic triumph. Although the whole will first give a good return when 100,000 seats in the House are sold.

Here you can now see the first impressions of the very much acclaimed musical that will open on January 22 at 'The New Theatre' in Copenhagen.

"It simply is tremendously inspiring to see the boys play on stage with so much discipline," says musical veteran Julie Steincke who plays Billy Elliot's dance coach. "They take it as a celebration, but also show so much determination and discipline. They practice constantly. On stage, during breaks, on the floor, in the locker room, the toilet. All the time. It is pure pleasure to see them play 'Jantelov' [word created by the writer Aksel Sandemose - set of maxims in a (small) community which prescribes humility and restraint, especially if you have better skills, more success, more money, etc. than the majority] all under the floorboards, "says Steincke with a smile.

"They are just so much better than we can ever dream of being," interrupts Jesper Asholdt who has the role of Elliots boxing trainer in the breathtaking story of the boy from a coal mining family in the 1980's english depression during the Iron Lady Margaret Thatcher's era. Billy Elliot, he dreams of breaking the social heritage of disadvantage and dances ballet.

"It is so life-affirming to see the boys work. They listen, are sucking in like sponge, and then they go up and do the most incredible thing."
"Damn !," Jesper Asholdt shakes his head in excitement, clapping his hands. "I was genuinely sitting with tears in my eyes during some of the rehearsals, where they flew through the air," says the hard-boiled actor with a big smile.

It is the concentration, which stands out in the eyes of 14-year-old Oscar Dietz, who was 13 when he was selected as one of the three Billy Elliots in November 2012[2013!]. Later soon he started along with the six others in the unique process in which they now have learned to tap, to dance ballet, modern dance, acrobatics and singing and acting. A mouthful that can take your breath away, but Oscar has also cared for his school, and has even acted in the film 'Antboy - The Revenge of the Red Fury', which certainly he has the main role in.

"I don't think it has been difficult to concentrate on school, and the film was only a few months. Actually, I think I have become better to concentrate on homework underways. In recent times, I have first been home at 11:30 pm, but thus I must do my homework in the car or in the early morning. "

"With 'Billy Elliot' it all has been difficult, and although I have not danced before, it was particularly the acrobatics that have been difficult for me. There have been some transboundary things I was a little scared at first. For example, some of the jumps, I shall be doing", says Oscar, who threw himself into the project with juvenile defiance of death. "I would have liked to turn off my brain, but this was difficult at the start. But when you think too much, then you become afraid, so there are some things you just have to throw yourself into", says Oscar Dietz, who quotes the recent weeks as the very most funny:

"When we were to do it all with music, lights, set design and dresses on. That's funny. Then you suddenly feel what it's like, we have trained towards." The 14-year-old boy lights up in a big smile, opening his whole face. "So there is need for Oscar. Now! It's time for rehearsals." The stage manager shouts from inside the stage, and he is again fully concentrated. Without hesitating much more than a second, he stands up."Okay, bye. See ya", he says, while he is already moving away at full gallop. Up on the stage.
'Billy Elliot', Denmark Première January 22 at 'The New Theatre' in Copenhagen.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Thanks so much to google and you for the translation, thm. :D
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
thm
Miner

Post by thm »

https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1 ... &source=46

Standing ovations at the first preview on monday, it says.
Finnick
Audience Member

Post by Finnick »

I might not be the most neutral to evaluate tonights show but still my conclusion is clear - Yes, yes, yes! This is a genuine, fully solved set-up of BETM.
Interesting scenography (partly magical while changing), very fine cast (especially Julie Steincke/Mrs. Wilkinson) and a very good flow through the show. Don't miss it!!!

ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

There is now a thread waiting for reviews, so I hope you will be the first to kick it off, Finnick. :D
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
thm
Miner

Post by thm »

A photo of the miners in their lift. Looks authentic to me:
https://m.facebook.com/detnyteater/phot ... 6&refid=17

So tonight I'm gonna see how they've done it. ;) The suspense is killing me! :lol:
Lola
Tall Boy

Post by Lola »

Promo video including a little backstage tour with Oscar and some footage of Dream Ballet:
http://www.dr.dk/Ultra/ultranyt/Beroemt ... elliot.htm

http://go.tv2.dk/underholdning/2015-01- ... calstjerne
A video with different scenes from the show. Maybe from the premier? Must say, it looks good, but some of the choreo seems to be out of sync? Love the scenery!

Return to “Chat About Billy Elliot - Denmark”