REVIEWS APRIL 2009 AUS

Reviews of the show
Gavroche
Small Boy

Re: April Reviews

Post by Gavroche »

Not sure about the announcement, but I do know that the fans will be coming in from all parts of the globe to share in this young man's triumphant day, and we will make sure ALL of Melbourne hears us from 3:00pm to 6:00pm.
Gavroche
Small Boy

Post by Gavroche »

Sunday, April 19. 3:00pm Matinee.

Rhys' Final Bow

Billy - Rhys
Michael - Thomas D
Debbie - Cassandra
Tall Boy - Jonathan
Small Boy - Luke
Full adult cast
Churchill Ballet Girls

It was with a heavy heart under heavy skies that I arrived in Melbourne for what was to be one of the most emotional performances of BETM I have ever experienced, including the final Sydney performance.

There was a general buzz of excitement as fans gathered near the theatre to soak in the electrifying atmosphere. Debbie ( Cassandra ) arrived early wearing her brightest smile. She had something special planned for this show. Soon the ballet girls all arrived and milled around the Stage door waiting to be signed in. Tall Boy (Jonathan ) pulled his hoody up and waited quietly alongside them.No sign of Small Boy ( Luke ) though. There were excited cries as the other child cast members who were not performing stopped by to wish everyone luck, take a few souvenir photos and sign programs. Non performing Billys and Michaels quickly made their way through the stage door. And seeing the other 3 original Sydney Billys ( Rarmian, Nick & Lochie ) only intensified the excitement. Everyone was finally signed in and the footpath outside the Stage Door returned to normal. Making a hurried but spectacluar entrance was Small Boy Luke taking in those last few wishes of good luck. Talk about making an entrance! :-D

Waiting for the show to begin I took in the audience. The Stall section was definitely full as was the Dress Circle. I believe only a few seats remained empty in the Grand Dress Circle. Everywhere you looked you could see the excited faces of cast members plus family members. This forum was well represented with between 20 and 30 members scattered throughout the theatre. Some from interstate and overseas as well. The lights dimmed, Luke climbed on to the stage and were were off.

Rhys has been Missing In Action for 2 weeks so were were all relieved to see him brought on stage by Richard Piper. He began with the famous "Take me up...." line and began his tentative steps across the stage while being comically imitated by Luke. The boxing hall scene brought laughs as Luke screamed out his "OHH JEEESSSUUUSS!" lines. When he collapsed to the floor we began applauding. Groans followed as George really hit the boys hard with his glove. I'm sure the wind must get knocked out of them at times. The "Shine" number had me worried as the ballet girls really cut loose on Rhys as they knocked him around the stage. The final kick to the backside had him rubbing himself longer than usual :D But he survived their onslaught.

"Grandma's Song" brought laughs after Lola began spinning around the stage after giving "them all the finger..." The audience broke into applause as she spun around the stage, and again as she finished with Rhys kissing her hand. Then as an added "extra", she and Rhys exchanged eskimo kisses before exiting.

"Solidarity" was powerful as we watched Rhys progress with his dancing skills. Watching Rhys wobble his way into the Attitude Promeade stance brought smiles to the faces of the audience because his body lines were smooth and relaxed. The final pose was perfect. Richard delayed his entrance slightly to allow us to applaud Rhys that little bit longer. "You're a Bas***d!" was very loud and in Richard's face. Rhys' hasty exit afterwards brought laughs.

Thomas had everyone around me in peals of laughter during "Expressing Yourself" and both he and Rhys delivered one of the funniest, brightest routines seen so far. Rhys certainly extended the infamous "F*****G HELL!" line to great effect. By the end of the number I had tears of laughter rolling down my cheeks.

"The Letter" was next and we were taken on one extremely emotional ride. Tears were evident early on from both Rhys and Gen. Trust me - they were EVIDENT on the faces of the audience as well, especially when Rhys hugged Samantha Morely to him very tightly. I could see her eyes glistening as she turned to exit the stage. For the first time I know of, we all applauded this scene as Gen and Rhys dried their eyes. It took well into "Born to Boogie" before anyones eyes cleared sufficently. And what fun that number is, from Big Davy's definition of dance, to watching Billy progress from one level to the next and ending with Rhys standing on top of the piano. The question on everyon'e lips was "Will it be a back flip or a Billy jump?" All of us roared our approval as Rhys confidently backflipped on to the floor.

Cassandra brought on the laughs with her outrageous invitation which Rhys really extended by casually leaning on the toilet door, tapping it and looking all around the stage before saying no. "Angry Dance" soon followed. Rhys performed it with vigor. I was feeling anxious in case he injured himself. But he stumbled his way to the back of the stage and emitted one short, sharp cry of anger to end Act 1.

Act 2 did show a "smiling pixie helper" in Rhys. Almost the whole audience in the stalls section joined in with the clapping. It's hard not to join in the singing as well. When Richard trails off in "Deep into The Ground", Rhys took over and completed it with the sweetest version I've ever heard. Fittingly enough, this was strongly applauded as well.

"Swan Lake" was perfect in every detail. Both Rhys and Timothy were in syn all the way through it. Finally the Melbourne audience applauded the cable routine. They clapped at the start. They clapped as Rhys flew around the stage. They clapped as he spun around in the roof. And they clapped (and STOOD) as Rhys danced his way over to Richard to end the number.

"Electricity" was nothing short of amazing. Definitely emotional. It was plain to see the tears on Richard's face as he sat watching Rhys. The audience was again on its feet as Rhys pirouetted his way to the finish. Rhys took time to soak in all in, but eventually he could feel the emotion taking hold and he turned away. As he grabbed his things from Richard and ran off stage we could all hear the loud sobs he could no longer keep in. I don't think he was alone in crying as far as the audience members were concerned. He pulled himself together in time to come back on in the community hall scene.

When the letter finally arrives from the Ballet School. We had laughs before Billy eventually opened it. This turned to tears (literally) when Billy informed his family that he didn't get in. From where I was sitting I had a clear view of Rhys' face as he turned his back on everyone. He was in tears. These tears were to stay with him ( and us ) till the end. They were there as he said farewell to Mrs Wilkinson. Here Rhys not only took hold of her hand, but reached up and gave her a kiss on the cheek. Gen cried openly at that touch. They were there as he packed his suitcase. They were in Tony's eyes handing over the miner's lamp. They were there as the miner's descended beneath the stage. They were in Samantha's eyes as she came on stage to give Billy his beanie. So overcome with emotion was she that she couldn't get her lines out. She eventually sat on the chair as Rhys opened his reply to her. He didn't read from it as he sang. He looked directly at Samantha the whole time and let the tears "flow naturally" as we all did. As Billy climbed off the stage, Thomas rode in on his bike and was able to get out his "Oi - dancin' boy" line and that was it. Rhys ran back up on to the stage but it took him some time before he could bring himself to give Michael the kiss on the cheek. Instead of saying "See ya, Michael." as scripted, he said, "Goodbye Michael". Thomas himself broke down at this stage and was only able to mumble his reply.

"Finale" time saw Rhys get up there and have fun one last time. He gave the fans a little bum wiggle after someone called out "I love you Rhys" and "Go Rhys". I think Andy Anderson thought to himself "This is Rhys' night and just ran thought he final bow. As the curtain dropped Rhys followed it down lying flat on the stage to give those final waves goodbye.

Thank goodness for standing ovations today. They were well deserved, not just for Rhys, but the whole cast. Rhys was so professional throughout this show and kept his emotions in check delivering a classic Rhys show. Special mention to Thomas who bravely closed this emotional show. To Cassandra, who finally didn't listen to her mam to "get on", but gave Billy a quick hug instead which we all applauded.

The Stage Door afterwards was bedlam. Congratulations were handed out to the various cast members as they left. Everyone wanted Rhys and eventually he came out to greet his admiring fans. A HUGE thank you to the chaperones (Dione - you are a diamond) and to Alison and Richard Kosakowski who made sure everyone had equal time with the man of the moment. Rhys happily signed programs, posters and photos. He posed for photos. And he was showered with gifts. He was certainly overwhelmed by all of this. Finally it was time for him to be taken back inside the theatre for his farewell party.

And so it was over. But as they say - one door closes and another one opens. BETM won't be the last we hear of Rhys. He has a bright future ahead of him and we will all be on the lookout waiting to learn what he gets up to next. Thank you for 17 months and ( for me ) 13 shows worth of memories Rhys. I wouldn't have missed it for quids.
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Thank you Gavroche for a wonderful, emotional review. I was getting tears in my eyes reading it and I, unfortunately, never saw Rhys perform.

Well done.

By the way did they make an announcement before the show started about it being his last performance?
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
wendy
Tall Boy

Post by wendy »

yea me to, i was getting rather emotional reading it, great review gavroche.
Gavroche
Small Boy

Post by Gavroche »

Sadly there was no special announcement made either before or after the show. However, a lot of the Forum members made sure they passed on to patrons around them the fact that they were going to see a very special show.
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Gavroche wrote:Sadly there was no special announcement made either before or after the show. However, a lot of the Forum members made sure they passed on to patrons around them the fact that they were going to see a very special show.
I really do think it is remiss of the company that they do that. I would imagine that a lot of people in the audience wondered what was going on with all the cheering and emotion that was being shown.
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
Gavroche
Small Boy

Post by Gavroche »

Tuesday, April 21. Evening.

Billy – Michael
Michael – Landen
Debbie – Isabelle
Tony – Simon Roborgh
Older Billy – Brendan Yeates
Tall Boy – Douglas
Small Boy – Luke

Tonight’s show was always going to be a tough one to do for a variety of reasons. Firstly, after Rhys’ final show last Sunday whichever Billy was rostered had some big shoes to fill. Secondly, Tuesday nights are notorious for half filled theatres. Thirdly, school started back yesterday in Victoria. Finally across the road crowds were flocking into the theatre for the Comedy Festival. However in Michael Dameski’s capable hands we ended up with a night filled with surprises.

Perhaps it was the news of BETM winning 6 Green Room Awards last night that spurred people to come along since the Stalls and Dress Circle were full, with many more sitting in the Grand Dress Circle. It was very close to being a full house. Secondly, there was a late change in Small Boy, with Luke receiving a very late phone call to come in. He made it with 20 minutes to spare. Gotta love those late entrances Luke :)

Michael is full of surprises himself. He wins you over with his acting to start with, followed by his singing skills and lastly his dancing. He impressed the first timers sitting next to me finally getting the keys in his hands in the boxing hall. The expressions he used watching the ballet girls made them only treat him more roughly. His interactions with Debbie, Mrs Wilkinson and his Grandma were totally natural. When various members of the village asked him whether he had any news from the Ballet School he increased his frustration levels to such an extent that he really shouted at George who looked quite surprised at its delivery. Michael has always had a slight vibrato in his voice which he puts to great use in “The Letter” and it’s “Reprise”. His body shook visibly as he struggled to get out the words. He was still visibly upset during the early part of “Born To Boogie”. In this number he just cut loose and had FUN. Facial expressions, loud insults to Big Davy and some excellent dancing which improved with each “next level”.
“Angry Dance” really stood out with some very powerful tapping throughout. As Michael jumped up onto the door he did so with such force that he didn’t give himself enough time to spin around into position to slip off correctly. He slid into the arms of one of the rioters who caught him easily.
There was a very naughty chair in “Swan Lake” that stood too close to Michael that he accidentally kicked it over. This visibly upset him. I could see Brendan checking that he was all right as they continued the dance. He was, and “Swan Lake” finished with appreciative applause. The audience even applauded when Billy was sent spinning in the ceiling.
As for “Electricity”- what can I say? I was taken with Michaels one armed cartwheel over the 2 chairs and enthralled with his backflip to finish off. The audience again applauded throughout the routine. One member of the audience ( who shall remain nameless ) jumped to his feet for a standing ovation that was acknowledged by Michael himself. He had put his heart and soul into that routine. It’s a pity no one else followed my lead…( oops ) :oops:
“Finale” saw Michael just break free and he peppered the routine with winks, smiles, funny faces and voices directed to both cast and audience members.

Landen as expected had everyone howling with laughter during “Expressing Yourself”. He is just so laid back but comes out with the best expressions and movements. He continued to win over the audience in the pre “Swan Lake” scene. Laughs where they were needed and “Aawws” after “the kiss”. This was repeated at the end of the show when Billy returned the kiss.

Isabelle continues to impress as Debbie. Tonight I loved her “I’ll just act casually” approach when the ballet girls asked Billy to sign bits of paper for them. She fiddled with her tutu and adjusted her ballet shoes.
Douglas still comes across as the most sympathetic Posh Boy as he tries to comfort Billy after his audition. Unfortunately Douglas landed awkwardly on his hand after Billy hit him that he didn’t appear on stage afterward. Here’s hoping it’s not too painful.
Luke managed his Small Boy role very well despite the late call. The lady next to me was in stitches as he called out his “Oh Jesus!” lines. During the puppet show I liked watching Luke copy what the puppets are doing on stage just the same way as he copies Billy in the opening scenes. And yes, I was having a good laugh watching you and Isabelle competing to colour in the same section in the book. Keep making us laugh.

Simon brought a different perspective to the role of Tony. It was a credible performance. But to me this Tony came across as a more resentful person. He seemed to resent Jackie crossing the strike line to earn enough to send Billy to London. This same resentment appeared when the strike was over and he walked off stage with the “We can’t all be f*****g dancers.” line.

Adult cast gave 100% which is no surprise to anyone. After Sunday’s show they must have been feeling a little hollow but it didn’t show. So thank you all for a great show after what was an emotional couple of days one way or another. It just goes to show that the critics were right in selecting the BETM cast as winners in the lead actress, lead actor and lead male actor in a supporting role for musical theatre. But then again – we already knew that anyway – right?
Gavroche
Small Boy

Post by Gavroche »

Wednesday, April 22. Matinee.

Billy – Josh Denyer
Michael – Liam
Debbie – Isabelle
Grandma – Joy Miller
Tony – Simon Roborgh
Older Billy – Matt Serafini
Tall Boy – Jonathan
Small Boy – Cody

Josh Denyer’s larrikin portrayal of Billy Elliot is always something to enjoy. He remains completely focused and in character throughout the entire show. He is completely engrossed in listening to Grandma as she sings of her life gone by and at times appears shocked at what she reveals, but laughs along as she spins around the stage in the final part of her song. I’m always torn between his interpretations of “The Letter” and “Angry Dance”, but this afternoon I really couldn’t separate the two. He invoked sadness when he revealed he couldn’t wait until his 18th birthday before opening his mam’s letter. The tears began to flow right then. And in his usual manner he began sobbing inconsolably, only stopping sometime during “Born to Boogie”. In fact Genevieve was also drying her eyes along with Josh. The power behind his angry tap was a force to be reckoned with throughout “Angry Dance”. I love how he hangs single handedly from the fence while hitting it with his free hand and kicking with both feet. “Swan Lake” with Matthew Serafini was seamless, both dancing well together. “Electricity” brought forward his street dancing skills. He really poured heart and soul into the routine which unfortunately ended with him losing his balance on his final turn. However he recovered well and was rewarded with enthusiastic applause from an appreciative audience. I’m always in awe of the skill these guys have, so congratulations Josh.

Liam worked well with Josh especially in “Expressing Yourself”. Liam is just so casual and natural in this role now that I’m always wondering just what new touches he will add next. There was a slight hiccup with the pink dressing gown the boys share in the dance, but Liam solved the problem so effortlessly that only those who have seen the show more than a few times would have noticed. As always he got enthusiastic recognition as he skipped across the stage.

Isabelle continued her role with the casualness seen last night. While she may be pleased Billy got into the Ballet School, she wasn’t showing it, again attending to her tutu and shoes. She really made Billy consider her offer though outside the toilets which drew laughter from the audience. Today as Mr Braithwaite defined dance Isabelle made me laugh as she checked her watch as if to say “How long is this going to last.”

Simon’s portrayal of Tony today seemed less resentful than yesterday. Matt Serafini shone as the dancer from “Watanobi”, almost waiting for Jackie Elliot to make some comment as he approached him for a cigarette. He drew huge laughs as he turned his back on Jackie and bent down to check his ballet slipper. Joy Miller seemed less vague than she was as Grandma earlier this week – definitely a stronger character. Tall Boy Jonathan maintains a strong Geordie accent throughout the show in his various guises. I liked how he took his glasses off to peer into the theatre. Cody won a few more fans as Small Boy. In fact one lady stopped in the street to look closely at him, asking “Wasn’t he in the show?” She swept him in close to her telling him how wonderful he was in the show.
Adult cast gave their usual 5 star quality performances, with Genevieve getting great laughs in “Shine”.
Gavroche
Small Boy

Post by Gavroche »

Wednesday, April 22. Evening

Billy – Dayton
Michael – Joel
Debbie – Cassandra
Older Billy – Brendan Yeates
Tall Boy – Jasper
Small Boy – Luke

Our very own lean, mean dancing machine pulled out all the stops tonight with a powerful performance. Dayton’s physique is changing, perhaps in line with the work outs he does for his acro filled “Electricity”. His upper body is certainly taking on a Y shape with stronger chest and arm muscles. He sure did “beat the $*iT” out of the bed, floor and walls of the theatre in “Angry Dance”. I couldn’t help but notice all the dents inside the shed as he was kicking away. Looks like all our Billys have vented their anger there over the months. Accompanying these kicks were Dayton’s loud expletives directed to all and sundry. He is yet to be surpassed in this department. The audience could not contain themselves and applauded enthusiastically long before “Electricity” finished. They were shell-shocked at the end of “Angry Dance” and were moved to tears in “The Letter”. I’m sure this young man still has plenty to show us before the season ends and I’m eagerly awaiting those surprises.

Joel won over the audience with his comedic timing in “Expressing Yourself”, especially dancing along with the dresses. There were a few people who “oohed and ahhed” at the kiss he gives Billy, and it was repeated when Billy returned the kiss to end the show. It takes skill to make the audience laugh one minute, then have them teary the next, but Joel does it with ease. It was obvious from the start that he and Joel were tonight’s “Dynamic Duo” as the audience roared it’s approval at the end of the number.

Cassandra worked her magic smile on everyone as usual. In tonight’s toilet scene she threw a cheeky smile at her mam as she left the stage before turning to face Billy and give him a smile as if to say “I haven’t finished with you yet”. The cheeky smile was also directed to Mr Braithwaite as they carried in the barre. Laughs always follow as she stomps around the stage, never quite getting to Billy before her mam calls out to her.

Jasper returned after his marathon run as Tall Boy last weekend. The thing I’ve noticed is that on some nights during “The Stars Look Down” Tall Boy is lifted on to the shoulders of one of the ensemble and some nights it doesn’t happen at all. No late entrances for Luke tonight, however he did experience his own “wardrobe malfunction”. During the soup kitchen scene Small Boy appeared on stage minus his trademark jacket. It seems I was the only one who noticed this. As happens a lot these days, there was warm applause as Small Boy is lifted up onto Mr Braithwaite’s back on exiting the stage. Thankfully the stray jacket was located in time for the “Finale”.

Other than for Brendan as Older Billy there was the usual full adult cast who never fail to impress. It was good seeing Mike Smith back in the role of Tony. All in all, a quality show all round. I think I heard the same audience members BillyAddict overheard talking after the show bemoaning the fact that the musical was different to the movie. :lol:
Gavroche
Small Boy

Post by Gavroche »

Thursday, April 23. Evening

Billy – Michael
Michael – Landen
Debbie – Lauren
Grandma – Joy
Tony – Paul Whiteley
Tall Boy – Jonathan
Small Boy – Thomas B

At first glance it would seem that tonight would be a very similar performance to last Tuesday night. But if I hear today that there was a power outage somewhere in Melbourne, I can pinpoint its origin – centre stage of Her Majesty’s Theatre. There was a complete overload of energy from every single person on that stage starting with Michael. Everyone picked up on Michael’s energy and ran with it. There were so many small added touches put in by everyone I’m sure I’ll forget to mention all of them.

The boxing hall scene received good laughs as Billy set about trying to put Michael off. Landen continued the laughs with his efforts to get out of boxing, especially with his comic looks as George slowly lost his patience with them both. In “Shine” Michael battled well with the ballet girls, even to the extent of kicking them back after they kicked him. Lots of face pulling and poking out of the tongue ensued. Lauren made great use of her time in this number and studied Billy very closely.

Interaction with Grandma was natural and easy. I liked the added touch Michael threw in of blowing on his index finger in much the same way people do to indicate blowing smoke away after he put his helmet away. He sat and listened seriously to her every word, laughing only as she danced around the stage.

“Solidarity” was intense, right from the moment Billy and Debbie are talking in front of the police line. Lauren beat a hasty retreat to the dance lesson only to be yelled at by her mam. Her expression said “I’m here, aren’t I?” rather than the usual screwed up face with her tongue poked out. While the ballet girls were “airing the sheets” it was fun watching Michael try to wrestle the towel away from the girls. Michael performed his pirouettes perfectly and people began applauding well before he finished. He got lots of laughs with the “You’re a b*****d!” and “Oohhh $hIt” lines.

I’ve seen funny “Expressing Yourself” routines and tonight’s was up there with the best of them. Both Landen and Michael were having fits of the giggles in the early part. There was mock arguing over who won the race to put on the shoes. Michael claimed he won because Landen failed to call out when he got his shoes on. The tap routine that followed was fast, bright and full of laughter especially when the dancing dresses came in. Landen made the most of his time whipping up the audience for extra applause, finishing off with “call me” sign to someone in the front rows, followed by his pelvic thrust to finish off. The whole theatre was in stitches. The pre- “Swan lake” scene brought the expected laughs and there was a fair mix of responses to his kiss to Billy, ranging from laughs, a few “Eews” from younger patrons to the expected “Awws”. Another great show Landen.

There wasn’t a dry eye in the house during “The Letter”. Michael began to choke up early in the piece just after Mrs Wilkinson opened the letter. His tears flowed and the sobs wracked his body. The interaction between him and Dead Mum was heart wrenching. He clung on to her in the same fashion as he hangs on to Mrs Wilkinson later in the show. His voice broke down during the final lines of the song. I wouldn’t be surprised to hear the Samantha Morely was crying as she exited the stage. Genevieve also was seen drying her eyes well into “Born to Boogie” along with Michael.

Mr Braithwaite got many laughs as he peeled off his various layers of clothing as well as placing his foot on the top of the piano. There were cries of approval as he did the splits. Watching Lauren resting on the barre, then slowly moving away from him and dropping open her jaw as he defined dance was humorous. In the toilet scene Debbie was extra naughty as she sneaked 2 looks under the toilet door at Billy. The face lit up and she nodded her head encouragingly after making “that offer”. Michael played it out well by just staring at her then turning to look all around the stage before considering it some more. I loved how Lauren mimicked Mrs Wilkinson when she burst in and told her to wait outside.

“Angry Dance” EXPLODED on to the stage. Michael reached deep within himself and came out with the loudest, strongest screams I’ve heard come from him previously. He literally attacked the bed then set about demolishing the left hand side of the stage wall. Sparks flew from those taps. I’ve mentioned the dents in the shed wall before, but after tonight I think the stage crew will need to be checking the floor, the fence and the police shields for signs of damage. While flipping the finger to both audience and police Michael again screamed the roof down. The final scream was long, loud and echoed around the theatre after the house lights came up.

Act 2 began with Michael trying his hardest not to laugh at George and Tony during their routine. It was fun watching the expressions on Michael’s face during this time. We move on to “Swan Lake” were there were several audience members willing “that chair” to behave itself. And it seemed to be working. Michael completed the tricky hand and foot moves with it. Just as he was finishing off by standing on it, the chair slipped along the floor slightly causing Michael to lose balance momentarily. Again, you had to feel for him as you saw the look of disappointment cover his face. However, the rest of the dance was perfect and Michael received enthusiastic applause.

The “big number” known as “Electricity” was nothing short of brilliant, amazing and breath taking. Michael fluctuated between angry and confused as he tried to say how he felt. He threw himself into the dance which now contains a lot of acro in it. I won’t be surprised if he joins Dayton in including a wall flip at some stage. Those final spins and flips around the stage, finishing off with a back flip and landing perfectly on his feet drew cries of “Bravo” from some members of the audience. I was on my feet in seconds as Michael stood centre stage taking in the most well deserved applause ever given. Thankfully there were a couple of more people who joined me tonight in that standing ovation and Michael acknowledged us all with tears in his eyes.

Those loud screams resurfaced in the soup kitchen as he became more and more frustrated by people asking how he’d gone in is audition. He saved the loudest for George at the end. Landen, who was making his scripted exit even stopped and looked around in wide eyed shock at its ferocity. Michael turned on the tears again as Billy said his goodbyes to Mrs Wilkinson, his mum and finally to Michael. I’ve never known a show that is not a “Billy leaving” show to have so many tears. Michael knows how to win over an audience. “Finale” was just as fun filled tonight as on Tuesday with Michael using his face, eyes and body movements to whip everyone, cast and audience alike, into a frenzy.

At the stage door I applauded Michael when he came out, because frankly, he deserved it. I’ve never been so moved by an “ordinary” show as I was tonight. Michael was on fire. People left the theatre saying they had just seen a good show. I left the theatre saying I’ve just seen a bloody brilliant show! Thank you Michael Dameski .

Return to “Reviews - Sydney & Melbourne (Australia)”