Post by Gavroche »

Friday, April 24. Evening.

Billy – Dayton
Michael – Thomas
Debbie – Cassandra
Full Adult Cast
Tall Boy – Douglas
Small Boy – Cody.

My second Dayton show this week was nearly a carbon copy as last Wednesday’s show. Where this bundle of dynamite gets his energy is anyone’s business. He has the ability to make you laugh tears of happiness in “Expressing Yourself” followed by tears of sorrow during “The Letter”. The young lady in front of me rested her head on her boyfriend’s shoulder and sobbed quietly, while his mate could be seen wiping the tears away. Did I mention that they must have been 17 – 18 years old, all of them? For the second night in a row, this song was applauded and that’s something I have wanted to see happen for some time now. However, it was “The Letter – Reprise” that reduced the audience to quivering mess. The tears in Dayton’s eyes were clearly visible as he walked past me on the aisle.

“Angry Dance” tonight was equally as angry as Wednesday. Dayton kicked the tin shed so hard that something flew out of it as he emerged on to the stage. It was quickly kicked away by one of the rioters. Once again he assailed our ears with the loudest screams of “that word” many times. Sitting a little further back than I have previously I noticed that the shadows you see projected on the walls behind the bedroom are also projected on to the floor. So you have 360* worth of “Shadow Angry Dance”.

Dayton’s “Swan Lake” with Tim Farrar was well executed. At last Melbourne audiences are applauding Billy as he spins in the ceiling. But it was “Electricity” that had many sitting up to take notice. Applause began just as Dayton finished “part 1” and walked to the front of the stage. It continued to grow as he began his final circuit of the stage. The two young guys in front of me just looked at each other after Dayton did his final back flip on the stage. I’ve seen that look before and I’m sure I’ve used it as well. The final pirouettes were just the icing n the cake. I’ve mentioned before that I’m sure Dayton still has some surprises in store for us in the future for this routine.

Thomas had everyone in stitches with his routine. The laughter was so loud it was sometimes hard to hear the lines being spoken. The tap dance was more than enjoyable to watch. The laughs continued in the pre “Swan Lake” segment with Sindy the Nurse getting more and more laughs and applause these days. And we won’t mention “The Nutcracker” line. The kiss to Billy evoked various responses

Cassandra is developing quite cheeky smiles to direct at Billy, especially as she walks past him (thanks to her mam). Those over the shoulder looks definitely mean “unfinished business”. I enjoyed watching her smile and agree with everything Mr Braithwaite said in his dance definition scene. She also makes good use of her body as she faces the policemen, looking them up and down, while talking to Billy.

Douglas’ sympathetic Posh Boy is a winner especially while squinting into the theatre. The wiping of his hand on his coat after touching Billy is a nice touch. His injured arm doesn’t appear to be causing too much discomfort. Cody’s cheeky Small Boy barked out funny “Oh Jesus” lines which brought the expected laughs, and yes, he did get recognition after Mr Braithwaite picks him up onto his back. Ballet girls are always so entertaining. My special mention goes to Tina who ran into the back door so forcefully that I felt sure she would be joining Tony in seeking medical attention for stitches to the head. Thank you to everyone for such a great show tonight.
Gavroche
Small Boy

Re: April Reviews

Post by Gavroche »

Daniel's Dazzling Debut

Saturday, April 25. Matinee

Billy - Daniel Russell
Michael - Joel
Debbie - Lauren
Grandma - Joy
Churchill Ballet Girls.

Before the show began, Resident Director Justin Martin addressed the audience. He introduced Daniel, informing us that Daniel auditioned along with 3,000 other boys for this role and welcomed him tothe current version of BETM. We were also given a brief biographical run down on Daniel.

Daniel may be small in stature ( he and Small Boy Thomas are approximately the same height ), but he is BIG on talent. Daniel appeared cheerful and relaxed before the show began. On stage there was no sign of nerves at all.
He has an expressive face which lights up whenever he smiles - which was frequently in today's show. He has mastered the Geordie accent well and speaks clearly. He sings equally as well not having to strain his voice for any of the higher notes. Tap would appear to be his strong point in dance. What we had in Daniel's show today was "Basic Billy". By that I mean, we get to see the Billy who is full of raw talent and potential. We see in him what Mrs Wilkinson sees. We see a young boy caught up in the conflict of the strike as well as the conflict of either doing boxing or ballet.It is a fresh look at Billy Elliot The Musical.

Standing side by side to open the show Daniel and Small Boy could pass as twins. The boxing hall scene worked well with Joel being slightly taller than Daniel. When the ballet girls came in I think they were pretty gentle with him as they pushed him every which way. But he gave as good as he got. Lauren worked particularly well with Daniel, checking him out and ridiculing his efforts. In the toilet scene they both played it out for what it was worth. Lauren nodding furiously for him to say yes. Daniel taking his time considering it, and throwing in the over the shoulder look to see who's watching. It received good laughs as did Lauren's face pulling and eye rolling as she exited.

In Joel's capable hands Daniel and he delivered a fast, funny "Expressing Yourself". Michael's mam's clothes looked slightly big on Daniel which added to the fun of the scene. With Joel leading the way with his now familiar eye rolls and face pulling the two boys laughed and danced their way with and around the dancing dresses. Joel knows how to win the audience over and he did so with ease today. The extra loud applause at the end said it all.

"The Letter" was emotional enough to get some audience members reaching for their tissues. "Born to Boogie" was just fun all the way. Daniel performed the Billy Jump off the top of the piano. He mustn't have liked the way he landed because he stood up and jumped again ending up flat on his back. The audience loved it.

"Angry Dance" was pretty good too. A decent opening tap with some fairly loud screams. Some will be pleased to know that Daniel does scream at the audience and flip them the finger. Being such a slight figure Daniel gave it his best shot kicking at the walls and floor. The kicks echoed from inside the tin shed. When he was dragged to the back of the stage on one of the fence segments the segment next to him fell over onto the floor revealing the police shield behind it. However, daniel ignored this and completed his routine. His scream to finish Act 1 was powerful.

Act 2 brings in the two big guns - "Swan Lake" and "Electricity". By standing on tip toes daniel is able to reach the light switch to turn off the lights. He handled the tricky hand and foot routine with ease. He really elevated his leg to get it over the chair top. By the smiles on his face it was obvious he loves the cable work. Tim was able to swing him high up against the side wall. Tim could be seen asking Daniel if he was OK and Daniel's smiles and nods said it all. Yes - he was applauded spinning up in the ceiling. Daniel's version of "Electricity" is the traditional ballet version. He opened well and continued it up until the point where he has to perform the cartwheel over the 2 chairs. In my opinion he mistimed it, or as others have said, the chair moved slightly. Either way he did a mini leap to the other side of the chairs and completed the routine. Slight applause from the audience as he comes to the front of the stage before the reprise. The reprise is different from the other Billys at this point in time. There are no spins around the stage, no cartwheels or backflips. Instead Daniel stands centre stage and alternates between pirouettes and leaps ( I'm not familiar with the ballet term for this leap ) before ending with the famous "FINISH".

Daniel was applauded enthusiastically as he climbed off the stage and began his walk up the aisle. This was continued as he climbed back up to give Michael his farewell kiss as well as walking back down the aisle. Joel's last line was drowned out by it. There was a standing ovation as the cast send Billy forward to receive his accolades. There was an even bigger standing ovation as "Finale" finished and the curtain came down.

So congratulations on a great first show Daniel. You should be very proud of your efforts. I said at the beginning that this is a Billy who displays raw talent and potential. I'm looking forward to seeing Daniel develop that talent and potential over the next weeks before this current season comes to a close. I hope you celebrated afterwards, you deserved it. Thanks for a memorable show and may there be many more.

Daniel's name on the Billy Board.

Signing autographs after the show.

Lauren, Daniel & Joel after the show.

Return to “Reviews - Sydney & Melbourne (Australia)”