REVIEWS MAY 2009 AUS

Reviews of the show
paul45b
Audience Member

REVIEWS MAY 2009 AUS

Post by paul45b »

YOU CAN’T BEAT A SENSATIONAL AUSTRALIAN ANGRY DANCE

DAYTON LIAM ISABELLE FRIDAY 1ST MAY 09

I had a ball at the 5 London shows over the previous weekend, and once again enjoyed the talents of the cast there; as well as experiencing the differences in the way some scenes are written. But I was in no doubt I was back in Australia when Dayton leaned over the Music Director last night near the end of Angry and bellowed at the top of his lungs: “F______ck” with an insane look of dark rage, then staggered to the back of the stage for his well known long loud end scream. Oh my God! If that’s not a massive “Welcome Back”, I don’t know what is. And from B23 close to the Music Director’s box, it is almost a “Close Encounter of the 3rd Kind”; or perhaps it might be reworded a “Close Encounter of the Billy Kind”.

Coming so soon after the 5 London shows, the similarities and differences tend to run through the head, and I guess my idea of the optimum BETM would incorporate elements of both; e.g. I really love the London audition scene and miss that in the Australian version. But you can’t beat an Australian Angry Dance delivered at peak performance and energy from the likes of Dayton, for raising the emotional intensity, blood pressure, and brain chemistry to perilously dangerous levels.

Liam seems to me to have noticeably lifted his role as Michael over the past month with many small but significant embellishments - such as the hand wave accompanying “Cause it is” in Expressing Yourself, and good timing in the dialogue in that scene to optimize the audience reaction.

Isabelle likewise, seems to have more depth to her Debbie, e.g. she did a great response to “Debbie, get your bum in”, and a couple of more emphatic responses to her mother’s taunting e.g. at the door when mum intones; “Piss off Debbie, I’m busy”.

A real pleasure to see Luke climb up right of me to kick off the play; his big long “Oh Jesus” and antics in Maggie Thatcher and the soup kitchen scene. I noted particularly how he runs on puffing and panting markedly, for 2 of the Small Boys in London do this quite pronouncedly including coughing to suggest that they’ve been run into the ground.

Jasper now seems to be the quintessential Tall Boy. One of the treasures of his role here is his response when Dad states that he is a miner. They don’t respond to that in London. Jasper’s strong strident voice gives his role gives his role plenty of ummph. And he’s the only one with the very funny pronounced teeth and eye expression in the audition scene.

I noticed tonight that Richard Piper seemed to be putting considerably more emphasis into parts of his role, increasing the dramatic nature of that part of those scenes, as his strong and strident vocal expression might be apt to do. Certainly, in the scene straight after the end of Solidarity, it was most effective, and seemed to be likewise in the confrontation with Tony in “He could be a Star”.

After just seeing Trevor Fox in London doing his terrific George performance, it was really pleasing to compare what a George we’ve got in Andy Anderson- knocking the kids around just as much as Trevor and in parts even taking the role further. Trevor doesn’t grab the Michaels by the arms, drag them across the stage and drop them like a sack of potatoes with a resounding bang. Andy’s use of the whistle is also most effective, something not done in London. While on the subject of the boxing scene, I came to realize too that we’ve got a real creative bunch of Billies here who ham up the antics “trying to put him off” to the max. Dayton’s hilarious and got lots of laughs out of his attempts to “put him off”.

Strong vocals from Genevieve and the chorus added much to the energy in the theatre. A partial standing ovation at the end confirmed that Dayton and the team blew away a portion of the audience tonight. Many thanks for the great homecoming Dayton, and many thanks to the cast.

paul45b

paul45b
Audience Member

Re: REVIEWS MAY 2009

Post by paul45b »

TWO RIVETING SHOWS TO STRETCH THE EMOTIONS TO THE MAX.

MICHAEL THOMAS LAUREN SATURDAY MATINEE 2ND MAY 2009

I’d been hearing a lot of news during my absence overseas about how much Michael had been developing his act, so I was very keen to find out for myself; and it turned out to be pretty true. To me the centerpiece scenes of a Michael Dameski act remain the Letter Scene and Angry Dance and these scenes continued to generate the strongest emotions. No Billy that I know of cries quite like Michael does in the Letter scene. And how he converts to this dark faced creature full of rage ready to tear the place down in Angry Dance, will probably remain a mystery. But I found his Electricity utterly riveting today with his acro parts more dynamic than I’d previously seen. It was majestic and the audience thought so too. It was great to see him lapping up the applause, and looking like he could almost cry with joy. Perhaps he’s getting a bit bigger or just putting in more energy, I don’t know; but overall he projected a stronger stage presence than I’ve seen to date. Lots of brilliant award winning smiles that must go a long way toward binding him to his fans and audiences, particularly in the Finale. Then there’s the vocal expression and the loud chilling screams, the high pitched “You’re a bastard”, and the famous Nick Twiney Angry Dance finish.

Much as I appreciate the London version of Expressing Yourself, there is more fast tap toward the end of this scene in the Australian version. The synchronicity of Thomas and Michael is hard to beat anywhere, and I love Michael’s loud long “F___ckin Heeeeell”. Thomas was fully charged up in this scene, full of his great humour which he again exhibited in the warm hands scene. He arguably performs one of the best acts in this scene anywhere in the world.

Lauren’s cheeky Debbie went down well as she always does. Like most repeat BETM fans, we wonder whether the toilet scene might break out. Michael chose to curtail it a bit today resisting Lauren’s highly suggestive and animated enticements.

Douglas as Tall Boy, Cody as Small Boy, and the Morrison girls troupe all put in sterling performances; the girls as usual doing their utmost to unsettle Billy. Cody as always playing the cutest kid in town, collects lots of oooh’s and ahhhrs; though he mildly shocked my neighbor on my right with his loud strident “w**ker”, as did the men’s ensemble when they began the 3rd verse of Solidarity “You f____in worms, you f____in moles, etc.”

Joy Miller put in an enjoyable role as Grandma, with a few nice touches of facial expression in her kitchen scenes.

Again, I was very aware of Richard Piper’s Dad role having a stronger and more powerful presence. I was finding him really great to come home to. The new Dad in London Joe Caffrey may develop a very strong character like Richard in time, and David Bardsley seems to play the role rather differently with a less aggressive personality.

JOSH DENYER, LANDEN NINA SATURDAY EVENING 2ND MAY 2009

There it was again! The Full House sign - out for this show, and around 6 weeks to go. The audience was an enthusiastic one for Melbourne, giving really great applause to Landen after Expressing Yourself, Josh after Electricity, and at the curtain calls. A partial standing ovation finished the night. I guess that’s pretty good for Melbourne.

What a day of BETM with the two best practitioners of the Letter scene in the business performing on the same day! And there was no doubt about it; the tissues were out in abundance at both shows today. Despite the seats in B row and D row, I wasn’t able to confirm real tears that both Michael and Josh Denyer are known to routinely shed, but the crying expression was real enough to ensure a strong emotive response.

The powerful expression from the grim and gritty miner’s son that Josh Denyer so effectively portrays was very strongly depicted in today’s show, ensuring a high level of emotive response ranging from exhilaration to the saddest. If anyone hijacks your feelings bigtime, it’s Josh Denyer. We may not see lots of smiles from a Josh Denyer performance but the offset is a wide range of tougher earthy expressions; not to mention the faces of rage and defeat that punctuate his version of Angry Dance, and its fabulous Nick Twiney fingers up finish as he bellows the 4 letter invective.

His Electricity was the best that I’ve ever seen him perform, and seems to me to have been worked on significantly over the 4 weeks that I was away. We’re fortunate to have this one and only acro/rap version at the current standard that Josh is delivering it. Fox Jackson-Keen is the only other Billy performing the scene at this standard. Josh has taken the original Lochie version in Sydney to much greater and more dynamic levels. The mid-air somersaults and backflips are a real treat to behold, and obviously wowed this audience. A strong audience response at the end of the scene, bolstered by an enthusiastic response at curtain call seemed to confirm their pleasure at what they saw at this show.

Landen appears to have joined the throng ramping up his humour quite noticeably since I last saw him in March. The evening audience was enthralled with his antics in Expressing Yourself particularly in the opening parts of the scene. Is there some secret pact in place by the Billyhouse occupants to ramp up their act so much, they intend to blow the theatre apart with their performance on the last weekend?

Nina put in a strong act as Debbie, joining with the Churchill ballet girls in trying to cut Billy down to size.

A nice surprise to see Jasper again and his toothy squint as posh boy, substituting for Jonathon who was apparently indisposed. Little Thomas as Small Boy always endears himself to the audience. How this sweet innocent little bundle of wonder can be so rude, is a great part of the boxing scene.

Both shows today were high powered performances from the cast. And 3 blow-away Angry Dances in a row. That’s very hard to beat. Many thanks to all, and to the parents and friends who shared their time with me during the day.

paul45b

paul45b
Audience Member

Post by paul45b »

DANIEL RUSSELL, LIAM CASSANDRA SUNDAY 3RD MAY 09

I found this show to be a somewhat different experience to those of the previous veterans Dayton, Michael and Josh Denyer this weekend; and recently Fox, Tom, Tanner and Brad in London.

I felt very strongly for him to wow the audience from the moment he was dragged on by Dad; and that feeling may have got in the way of just submitting to the cast and letting them work their magic; which often results in the mind-blowing ecstasy that a fully primed Angry Dance can induce. I kept wondering what may be going through his mind as he no doubt gave his best, against the background of working with a seasoned cast, many of some 18 months tenure, to the standard that’s been attained over that time. And additionally, knowing that he is the only Billy ever, who has just 7 weeks to develop his game plan.

Having just turned 13, Daniel’s in a similar age bracket to most of the above so is eminently suited to depict a 12 year old. However to me there’s no escaping the impact of his size and appearance on stage, in what is a hugely demanding role for the seasoned bigger boys. Onstage “presence” plays a part for me in how I experience any live production. Having said that, in similar manner to how I experienced the big “presence” of Justin Smith as Tony in Sydney, then needed some adjustment to accommodate the less tall Tonys (in particular in London in Sept/Oct 2008), it may be that Daniel’s Billy role will accustomise in similar fashion. I hope so.

I saw the early shows of most of the Sydney Billies and those of the London Billies Fox, Tom, Tanner. To me Daniel’s Billy was nonetheless a valiant triumphant validation of his acting, dancing, and vocal skills, pretty much on par with what these Billies were doing at that stage in their Billy career. He has a strong voice for his size with a very high pitch that reminded me of Michael’s first few shows, and Tom Holland in London. All these shriek with the sound of a small boy in terrible pain and I find it almost terrifying; but it adds great shock value to the play. It is most noticeable when he runs up the stairs after the Dad/Tony punch-up, but also heard in Angry Dance. He has a quite nice singing voice and to me performed a quite moving vocal of Electricity.

I wondered how he’d fare with the ballet girls in Shine and Solidarity; and to what extent this smaller angelic looking Billie would survive the treatment from the mostly taller nastier girls that the terrific Heseltine team depict. He came through fine, of course, but at times it seemed like they might chew him up and spit him out. To some extent that adds to the flavor of the play, and enhances the fun of those scenes. These Aussie Melbourne ballet troupes are among the best in the business now, and they are responsible for revving up the hormones in Act 1 big-time, so that we’re prepared for the big fire cracker to explode in Angry Dance.

It was great fun to twice see Luke waddle behind Mr. Braithwaite and deliver his loud lines in the boxing scene which the audience loved judging by their response; and Jasper 3 times this weekend as Tall Boy. I found it needed a bit of imagination to accept that this Billy could flatten a rather taller strong faced boy like Jasper as Tall Boy. But Jasper worked the scene fine.

Cassandra delivered her saucy number as Debbie in fine form today. For me, it needed a bit of an extension of imagination to absorb the toilet scene, though Daniel and Cassandra both worked the scene well, Daniel picking up a bit on the technique of the other Billies who look around and drag it out.

Liam must have been on pep pills this weekend. I found him at both shows this weekend a big character larger than life. I’ve suggested at times in earlier reviews in Sydney that this or that Michael stole the scene, and to his credit Liam today stole both Expressing Yourself, and the warm hands scene, and he probably would have done so no matter which Billy he starred with. The reaction of the audience in these scenes was proof positive of that. They loved him.

It’s been great resuming weekend seats in Melbourne and contrasting the differences with the London shows. I wish Daniel every success with his Billy role, and lots of fun during his all too brief tenure. Good luck to all the cast as they perform their last weeks in this magnificent show.

Paul45b
Gavroche
Small Boy

Post by Gavroche »

MICHAEL'S MIGHTY MOTHER'S DAY MATINEE
Sunday, May 10. Matinee.

Billy - Michael
Michael - Landen
Debbie - Isabelle
Tall Boy - Jonathan
Small Boy - Thomas B
Full adult cast

What are frequent flyer points for if not to spoil yourself? It was a late minute decision on my part to take myself to Melbourne for the day to take in what was to be another magnificent performance by the whole cast of BETM, and in particular, Michael Dameski. Arriving at "The Maj" I was greeted by one of the staff members standing on a chair hanging up the "Sorry. House Full." sign - and that was well before the doors were opened to the public. Before the show began an announcement was made that today's performance would be Auslan interpreted. Two people from the Victorian Deaf Society were spotlighted on the left hand side "Royal Box" where they proceeded to sign not only the conversations on stage, but also the lyrics to all the songs.

Must admit to the heart skipping a beat when I discovered that Michael would be performing in the title role. The last 2 "Michael shows" were downright devastating with the last one I'd seen leaving me both lost for words and clamouring for more. When Michael first sings and takes those faltering steps across the stage shadowed by Thomas B as Small Boy, you are hooked by him. He makes full use of his acting skills that take you on an emotional rollercoaster ride from start to finish. The Boxing Hall scene starts us off laughing as Michael put in some rather unusual moves to "put him off". Not even Andy could imitate these moves later in the show when he learns Billy has been accepted into the Ballet School. Top marks to Andy by the way. Tonight he managed to throw the keys clear across the stage, landing perfectly in the middle of the chair underneath the boxing bag. :lol:
The laughs continue as Michael finds himself on the receiving end of the ballet girls torments. He really gets into it when he returns some of the pushes and face pulling antics.

You find yourself holding your breath in "Solidarity" as you watch Michael steady himself in the Attitude Promenade stance. The final pirouettes in this number are numerous, ending in a picture perfect pose at the end. His yelling of "You're a B*stard!" is a sign of things to come. But his high kneed running exit of "Oh, $*it" brought a lot of laughs. I've noticed all the boys have really made something out of the "I've only just learned to pirouette!" line and I laughed at Michael's vigourous head shaking to emphasis the point.

Next comes the high energy "Expressing Yourself" with the comic talents of Landen. He won the audience over straight away. His walk across the stage, cigarette in one hand and his mother's dresses in the other drew laughs. I particularly liked the way he indicated with his eyes that Michael should raise his "AAARRMMSS!!" Strong tap as expected. I'm loving the way Michael tries to hide himself behind the pink dressing gown as he walks across the stage. There was lots of smiles between the 2 boys which really enthused the audience. Lots of laughing, cheering and applauding well after the lights went out to end the number.

The crowbar scene sets us up for more of those terrifying screams of rage from Michael as he runs up the stairs to his bedroom. It's a wonder he doesn't end up with a sore throat. "The Letter" is certainly one of Michael's strong points. He uses every ounce of his acting ability to turn the tears into heart wrenching sobs. Today he had many reaching for the tissues. Maybe more so with today being Mother's Day. It would have struck a chord with many just how special mothers are. And for those who, like Billy, have lost their mother, it would certainly have made the tears flow more readily. Understandably, this song was greeted with applause from a tear stained audience. May it continue.

"Born to Boogie" showcases John X's talents, especially those splits which always gets the crowd applauding. His quick changes of costume also bring in the laughs. And as for Michael's flip off the piano - crowd pleasing to say the least.

"Angry Dance" was just as intense as my last "Michael shows". Those yells come back with a vengeance. Strong kicks to the bed are followed by stronger taps all over the stage. I'm telling you - that side wall must have some serious damage to it after Michael has finished with it.The look of hatred in his eyes as he stares into the audience before throwing the bricks at the police. Such was the force of his climbing up the wooden fence that the panel next to him fell over and the one he was on threatened to topple over as well. Likewise when he jumps on top of one of the police shields. The screams continue along with flipping the finger to the audience as Michael staggers to the back of the stage to end it all with one almighty scream.

Fun as always with "Maggie Thatcher" and did my eyes deceive me? Thomas playing air guitar with the scythe!?
Richard's rendition of "Deep into the Ground" was a much sweeter version than I've heard previously. Fittingly, it also received applause as Richard exited the stage.

"Swan Lake" progressed smoothly with no annoying chairs upsetting the routine. Today's audience enjoyed the cable work and enthusiastically applauded Billy spinning in the ceiling. "Electricity" was the one I'd been waiting to see. Michael really does ponder the question taking his time to give an answer. His face screws up in anger in the right moments and at others it's pure concentration as he tries to get the right words out. I'm left in total awe of Michael's routine. He just keeps getting better and better. Those final spins and back flips bring your heart up into your mouth. You just wonder if there's anything more this young man can do to totally amaze you. I'm betting there is plenty left in store for us in the coming weeks. Prepare to be blitzed away. Deservedly Michael received a standing ovation. I for one was up in the middle of the aisle. Just a few seats away from me were Michael's parents both on their feet doing the same thing. The look not only on Michael's face, but Richard's as well said it all.

I couldn't help but hear one patron call out "Goodbye Billy" as Michael walked up the aisle. People then began applauding, stopping only when he ran down to give Landen that final kiss. More applause - so much so that Landen's final words were drowned out. What a spectacle "Finale" is. Michael just has the best of times. He smiles and you can't help but smile along with him. The funny faces, head rolls and eye movements engage you from the start. You find yourself clapping along in time to the music. The whole cast joins in and you leave the theatre feeling so much better than when you went in.

So was my moment of madness worth it?
Absolutely!
Would I do it again?
Absolutely!
Should people try to see a "Michael show" before the season ends?
Absolutely!
Gavroche
Small Boy

Post by Gavroche »

DENYER AND DAMESKI
~ Dynamic Double Act ~

Saturday, May 16. Matinee

Billy - Josh Denyer
Michael - Landen
Debbie - Lauren
Grandma - Joy Miller
Older Billy - Brendan Yeates

Looks can be deceiving. No-one in the audience could have had the slightest inkling what this red haired Billy had in store for us this afternoon. Sulky looks directed at Jackie Elliot in the opening scene merely disguised Josh's masterplan to hold captive a FULL HOUSE of some 1,700 patrons. Don't let those awkward first steps across the stage fool you. It is here that he gently takes your hand, leading you into the boxing hall where he lowers your defenses with laughter.The cheerfulness continues in "Shine" as he matches wits with the ballet girls who set out to let Billy know that the ballet class is no place for him. Lauren's cry of "Please, mam...can WE have a go!?" is the first indication that Billy does show potential. Josh's final Attitude Promenade pose was near perfect, eclipsed only by his "FINISH!" at the end of "Solidarity.

A touch of seriousness creeps in with "Grandma's Song" wherein I firmly believe Josh is the more serious of listeners among the Billys. He concentrates so hard in what Grandma is saying about the grandfather he knows little about. I had to smile at the end of the number. Both Josh & Joy shared a quiet laugh after he kissed her hand and she was seen wiping the back of her hand across her nightgown with a laugh as they both exited the stage.

Once again Landen commanded the stage in "Expressing Yourself". He times his lines wondefully to allow the audience to "get the joke". Both he and Josh gave a quality performance, both feeding off each other. As mentioned, he won the audience from start to finish. The applause lingering after the lights went out. Landen has the ability to work so well with his Billys and brings out the best in them. The same can be said in Act 2, pre "Swan Lake". Landen worked the audience into fits of giggles as he struggled into Tracey Atkinson's tutu and deciding to wear it home.

It's no secret that for me Josh's "The Letter" competes with his "Angry Dance" for top position. There are times I find it hard to separate the 2. This afternoon it was damn well impossible to choose between them. Taking over the singing from Genevive he gradually breaks down, tears welling up and flowing down his face. He mouths the words with Genevive until Dead Mum appears and he breaks down. Sitting on the chair watching her walk towards him he crumpled. Rivers of tears followed. Both Genevive and Samantha choked up, especially as Josh hugged his mam and held on to her for as long as possible. There were no dry eyes on stage and the same would have been applicable to many in the audience. Genevive took a long time to recover and Josh himself used the sleeves and top of his T shirt to dry his eyes and wipe his face. This "Letter" deserved the applause it received.

The lead up to "Angry Dance" has been building throughout this time and Josh unleashed his full fury upon us. VERY strong tap in the bedroom sequence followed by numerous yells, vicious kicks to the walls, tin shed and floor. The sight of him hanging onto the wooden fence kicking with both feet is rivetting. He staggers around the stage yelling, kicking and screaming to the extent that one of Andy's lines opening Act 2 is significant - "I feel your pain". By the time he sits along the back wall and gives one final scream, we are left feeling shattered. There was no way I could choose between this and "The Letter".

After some fresh air to compose ourselves it's time for Act 2. Andy tried out 1 or 2 new jokes. He noticed a smirk on Josh's face and so set out to make him break from character. He almost succeeded, but Josh turned away from him and stifled the laughs as best he could under the circumstances.

Moving along to "Electricity" we knew Josh would set out to impress with his street version of the number. It's what we have come to expect from him. What we didn't expect was the complete reworking of the routine! Gone is the grunt of "HUHH!" to begin. He immediately sprang into a one armed backflip, landing perfectly on his feet and continued adding new moves his established routine. I'm with "alexandre" in not knowing the technical terms for them all, but his "one handed 'oh my fricking Christ how the hell did he do that one'" was surpassed by the heart-in-your-mouth "OMFG!!! You gottaseeit to believe it!" leading up to the fast and furious pirouettes to finish with. The standing ovation that followed was more than deserved. It lasted until the lights had dimmed for the following scene. I daresay it would have lasted much longer if time allowed. Street "Electricity" has a new king.

Just when you thought you were safe Josh still hadn't released his hold on us. From the moment of his farewell to Mrs Wikinson to the moment he climbed off the stage Josh had the tears welling up in us along with his own. It's no wonder Richard was weeping as he walked back to the mines. No wonder Samantha was teary as well. By the time "Finale" had come around Josh had quietly released his hold on us, leaving us to marvel at not only Josh Denyer's finest show to date, but also one of the top 5 contenders for "best performance by a Billy in a non special show" category.

Of course this show would not have been possible without the many talents of the principal adult characters and ensemble, Small & Tall Boys and those multi - talented ballet girls. Lauren's Debbie was everything we've come to expect. I really like the way she waves in front of Mr Braithwaite's eyes as he takes up the "Baskets of Pansies" pose. She really gave Billy the "once over" during "Solidarity" to the extent that Josh had to look over his shoulder to see what she was up to. Thank you all.

Saturday, May 16. Evening.

Billy - Michael
Michael - Thomas
Debbie - Cassandra
Tall Boy - Jasper
Small Boy - Luke
Full adult cast.

Seeing Michael's name on the board conjured up memories of the April 23rd show. Could Michael repeat it, or even surpass it? I had every faith that he could. Once more the "Sorry. HOUSE FULL" sign was up.

Climbing on stage to open the show Small Boy Luke was welcomed with warm applause. This applause was to resurface with him several times throughout the night - most noticeably as he is picked up onto Mr Braithwaite's back in Act 2 and with his running on stage for the curtain call. Subtle changes to Tall Boy Jasper's character tonight as Posh Boy.

The audience tonight was very receptive to everything happening on stage and picked up on the fact that they were witnessing something very special. Michael used every bit of his acting ability to transport us into Billy's world. The emotional rollercoaster of a ride I experienced on April 23 was replaying in front of me. The comic methods he used to put Michael off got huge laughs and Michael extended this scene slightly to accommodate them. Thomas' confusion as to which hand was his "Left" added to the hilarity.

Working with Lola in "Grandma's Song" had Michael listening carefully and laughing appropriately as she sang and danced around the stage. Many of the audience members applauded as she gave "them all the finger" and danced with abandon. Watching him progress in skills at dancing from "Shine" to "Solidarity" to "Born to Boogie" is a delight as we can clearly see the definition between each stage.

It's been some time since I saw Thomas as Michael and he has certainly made the character his own. From the "sexy growl" to the high leg waving in imitation of one of the dancing dresses Thomas moves through the dance with ease. He certainly won over a few people around me tonight. This was also evident in the pre "Swan Lake" scene. There was laughter as he tried to get Billy to "do some ballet", then some "Awws" as he walks off forlornly leaving Billy alone in the hall.

"The Letter" sees Michael bring his acting skills to the fore as he reduces the audience to tears. That makes it twice today that my tear ducts got a thorough work (wash) out. Of course Michael has one more go at them during "The Letter - Reprise".

Cassandra is one very cheeky Debbie. I love how she always gives Billy a knowing look over her shoulder that seems to say "You and I haven't finished yet...." She has an infectious smile that just lights up her face.

"Angry Dance" was explosive to say the least. Again Michael threw himself on to the fence panel with such force that it wobbled more than usual. You could see someone run back to support the panel as he kicked into it. Then again on the police shields. Kicks to the walls, shields and floor were in perfect time with the drum beats. His eyes burn holes into the audience as he stares out before picking up the brick to hurl at the police. The yells are ear piercing with that final scream just filling the theatre.

Act 2 saw Andy try out his new jokes on Michael who remained in character, not laughing, but shaking his head in disbelief at him and rolling his eyes.

"Electricity" was just as awe inspiring as last time. He takes the longest time to consider his answers to the questions asked which just reinforces to us that Billy really is struggling to explain just what dancing means to him and how it makes him feel. Angry when he needs to be. Confused at other times. His face just contorts with emotion. Michael has certainly been adding to and working on his routine here and the flips, cartwheels, pirouettes just are a build up to a final set of backflips that are nothing short of heart stopping. No wonder the audience was applauding long before the routine finished and why they sprang to their feet at its conclusion. Michael takes it all in appreciatively.

"Finale" is where Michael really does shine and has the most fun he can with the cast on stage and with us the audience. He has an ability to seek you out and make you part of it. The warm smiles, the winks,eye rolling and faces he pulls get you clapping along with him in time with the music.

In all the double shows I have done over the past months I have never experienced two such knock out performances as I did today. Others have expressed similar feelings. To truly describe it is to do it an injustice. You just had to be a part of it to fully appreciate it. With the season ending soon and the cast ramping up every performance don't be surprised to hear of more stand out performances from all concerned. Again - thank you to everyone
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Thanks Gavroche. Terrific reviews. Looks like you saw a couple of fantastic shows - so it was worth using up the airmiles.

It seems strange with the HOUSE FULL sign up that the show is closing in a few weeks. I suppose it could well be that that is why the HOUSE FULL sign is up.
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
Gavroche
Small Boy

Post by Gavroche »

This weekend, both Saturday shows and the Sunday show all had the HOUSE FULL sign up. The sign went up 1.5 - 2.0 hours BEFORE they opened the doors to the theatre.

Both Michael Dameski and Josh Denyer are producing shows that do knock your socks off sideways.
Gavroche
Small Boy

Post by Gavroche »

Sunday, May 17. Matinee

Billy - Daniel
Michael - Joel
Debbie - Isabelle
Dead Mum - Louise Kelly
Tall Boy - Douglas
Small Boy - Cody

Hollywood started the trend, so it seems natural that it flows over on to the stage. I'm talking about taking hugely successful movie franchises and taking them back to their beginnings. Think about "Batman Begins", "X-Men Origins: Wolverine", "Star Trek XI" and the upcoming "Terminator Salvation" along with "Transformers 2" and you get the idea. What we are seeing in a Daniel Russell performance is the origins of Billy Elliot.

We witness a young, fresh faced boy who, after being dragged on stage by his father finds himself in the middle of Mrs Wilkinson's ballet class. Surrounded by the taller girls he is intrigued and takes up Mrs W's offer to "join in or bugger off". Being a "part of the show" Mrs W sees some glimmer of potential lurking inside. Even Mr Braithwaite is surprised as Billy Chaînés across the stage finishing directly in front of Mrs W. She's right in saying that those at The Royal Ballet School aren't looking for "something fully formed that's leapt from the brow of Zues". And neither should we be. We should be focussing on Billy's potential. Once you have done that Daniel's portrayal is more than enjoyable.

It's been nearly a month since Daniel debuted and he has created a Billy who is caught up in the confusion of wanting to do ballet along with wanting to please both his dad and Tony by taking up boxing and becoming a miner. Things are changing around him. Finding Michael dressed up in his sister's dress adds to his confusion, as does Debbie's now infamous offer. Here Daniel's youthful appearance and small stature works wonderfully in his favour. It's not until questioned at the Ballet School does he actually work out for himself what it is he really wants to do: "I don't want to be like everybody else".

Joel once again took over the reins in "Expressing Yourself" and had everyone clamouring for more. How can you not laugh as you watch his facial expressions and rolling eyes as he dances across the stage and along with the dancing dresses. Both he and Daniel were in perfect step throughout the dance. It was obvious they were both having a lot of fun. In the pre "Swan Lake" scene Joel had everyone laughing as he raised his voice to squeak out the "No wonder they call it 'The Nutcracker'" line.

Isabelle portrays Debbie in a more serious vein than the other girls, although she did break out with some vigorous head nodding and smiles as she made "that offer" to Billy. Yes, a few lines were rushed, but then again so were a few in the previous 2 shows I'd seen this weekend.

Daniel's "The Letter" was emotional enough. His eyes did fill with tears but they didn't roll down his face to the same extent as I've seen on others. He was still able to move audience members enough to reach for their tissues. Genevive did seem to take a bit longer before she was able to turn and face the audience. Louise Kelly's voice melded wonderfully with Gen's in their duet.

"Born to Boogie" saw Daniel perform the Billy Jump off the piano. "Angry Dance" featured some mighty strong taps as Daniel kicked his way around the stage. He has a strong yell to boot and we felt it not only this number but also in the scene as he runs upstairs to his bedroom after Jackie has yelled at him. "Swan Lake" saw a few changes to accommodate Daniel's height. For example, he does a half cartwheel over Tim's back instead of jumping up and rolling over him. He obviously enjoys the cable work as he smiled widely throughout it all. "Electricity" is pure ballet. Basic ballet, finishing off the routine with a fast series of pirouettes. Daniel performed it pretty damn well in my opinion. As I said earlier - this is Billy Elliot before he becomes BILLY ELLIOT. I'm certainly glad I was able to see Daniel perform again. It's good to monitor the progress being made. I'm bound to strike another performance before the season ends. Well done Daniel - keep showing us "the potential" Billy has within him.

I'd like to finish off with a note about chairs and biscuits as they still seem hellbent on being noticed during a performance. In Josh D's show one chair was missing in action all the way through to Dead Mum bringing it into the kitchen as she told Billy off for drinking from the bottle. Poor Grant Dale had nowhere to sit as he coughed up coal dust in "The Stars Look Down". :-D When Tim threw the chair into the wings during "Swan Lake" it landed noisily on the floor. The biscuit escaped from all Billys pockets this weekend - the last one being picked up by a quick thinking Susan Parkes as she exited the stage. I wonder what else they have in store for us in the coming weeks? :lol:
Todd
Dad

Post by Todd »

Gavroche wrote: What we are seeing in a Daniel Russell performance is the origins of Billy Elliot.

As I said earlier - this is Billy Elliot before he becomes BILLY ELLIOT. It's good to monitor the progress being made. Well done Daniel - keep showing us "the potential" Billy has within him.
The younger/smaller Billys seem to be on the increase these days, as the ones currently in London may fit that description more than any rotating cast they've had there so far. I wonder if this is due to the fact that there are now more venues where BETM is performing than ever before, so the "incubation" or training process is perhaps shorter than it used to be when the show was just in London, and then just in London and Sydney.

I would guess the more Billys that are needed (about 4 for each of the 3 locations now), the harder it is to gauge how many need to be in the pipeline at any given time so that they will be ready to go when needed and be closer to a finished product. Either that, or the production staff has decided to go now with a younger-looking Billy as opposed to a year ago when you had more "teenage" interpretations of the part with Lochlan Denholm, Nick Twiney, Sam Angell, Josh Fedrick, Corey Snide, Hogan Fulton, etc.
Gavroche
Small Boy

Post by Gavroche »

DAMESKI AND DENYER

~ Dynamic Duo Delivers Dynamite ~

Saturday, May 30th. Matinee.

Billy - Michael
Michael - Thomas
Debbie - Cassandra
Grandma - Joy
Mr Braithwaite - Glen Hogstrom
Tall Boy - Jasper
Small Boy - Luke

In reverse order of my Saturday, May 16th visit I experienced yet another pair of outstanding BETM shows. I commented that those shows were among the top 5 contenders for "best performance by a Billy in a non special show" category. Well after today I'm in danger of running out of fingers to count them on.
Right from the start the matinee audience was in the mood to "join in" as Mrs Wilkinson is known to say. They warmly accepted the announcement to switch off mobile phones and Small Boy Luke climbing on stage to watch the news reel. As the show unfolded they became immersed in the goings on in Billy's world - laughing, crying and holding their collective breath at the approriate times. The young guy sitting next to me must have been in his late teens and accompanied by his mother but you could see he just loved every minute of the show. When you have a good audience onside you will have a great show.

Michael was devastating from the start, so I'm just going to list the relevant points that come to mind. The whole cast was lifted by his energy and everyone gave stellar performances.

* Glen spitting out part of the "salt sandwich" with an "Oh, $Hit!" before walking off stage.
* Michael evoked great audience laughter with his moves to "put him off" in the boxing scene.
* Boyish playfulness paying out the ballet girls. I liked how Michael slaps away the ballet shoe as one of the girls points her foot straight at him.
* In "Solidarity" Gen left her bag near Mr Braithwaite at the piano and so had no bag to reach into and throw ballet shoes to Michael. Great ad libbing on Gen's part as she said something like; "You will in a minute." in reponse to Michael's "Haven't got any." To Mr Braithwaite she said, "Pass me that bag." It worked so seamlessly that first timers to the show would not have known any different. The Heseltine girls kept on dancing and Michael moved closer to the centre of the stage to get the shoes. Great stuff.
* Richard fairly tore strips off Gen when he roared at her to "never come near our Billy again!" I think he scared half the audience along with the ballet girls and Mr Braithwaite. Fantastic!
* "Expressing Yourself" was so entertaining with Thomas getting great responses to his lines, camp walks and moves as well as his facial expressions. I must point out that when Thomas first came on stage riding his bicycle he burst in through the door at breakneck speed. You'd swear he was riding in The Tour Down Under. He very nearly ran Mr Braithwaite over. I was impressed with Thomas' timing as he too waited long enough for the audience to hear and digest what has been said.
* Cassandra continues to deliver a cheeky Debbie. Those sly looks at Billy over her shoulder delivered with that smile on her face gives us a glimpse of a Debbie we aren't ever going to get to know. The toilet scene got good response from Michael's look of shock at the start, changing slowly to one of nervousness as he glanced around to see who was listening. Then the serious consideration of the offer as he leans up against the toilet door.
* "The Letter" ripped everyones heart out. The tears that ran down Michael's face were being imitated by 3/4 of the audience - the other 1/4 only pretended to not to cry.
* "Born to Boogie" had a different feel with Glen filling in for John X. I liked how he had to really push down on his hip to finally do the splits which received applause from the audience. Michael's flip off the piano and landing perfectly on both feet won us over as well.
* No one kicks the hell out of the side wall like Michael does in "Angry Dance". No one gives the audience that hateful stare like Michael does. Today there was a slight mis-timing with the door Michael was to do the "surfboard" on. Michael could neither run to jump on it nor roll to get under it, so Simon Roborgh grabbed him and carried him over to the fence panel ready to be dragged back.
* Andy trying out new jokes or variations on an old joke failed to make Michael laugh. He just cast him some sarcastic eye rolls instead.
* No troublesome chairs in "Swan Lake", just a very smooth interpretation by Michael & Tim.(By the way - the biscuits behaved themselves too ).
* Tall Boy Jasper's geeky Posh Boy raises great laughs. Each of his personas on stage are subtlety different, from Scab's son (Kevin?) to his pondering boy in the boxing hall.
* Small Boy Luke's now famous "Oh Jesus" and "w**ker!"screams, along with that duck waddle behind Mr Braithwaite.
* "Electricity" was nothing short of amazing. Michael takes the longest time to carefully consider his response to the question. Such great acting out of the emotions he feels. From the opening backflip to the closing "OMFGTHATWASUNBLOODYBELIEVABLE" (did I get the name right? ;) )I don't think the audience dares to breathe. The applause BEFORE this routine is well deserved. The "LETSLIFTTHEROOFOFF" applause and ovations at it's conclusion are a true sign that we have just witnessed something amazing. It was wonderful to watch Michael pause a decent amount of time to take it all in, looking out at the audience acknowledging our appreciation.
* "Finale" sees Michael throw in his trade mark head rolls and eye movements along with flashing frequent smiles at everyone. It's no wonder the audience is smiling too.

Michael - 3 great shows in a row from you and you have managed to decimate me each time. You are all 240 volts of "Electricity". You've certainly moved into a league of your own as Billy and you lift everyone up with you. Saddened as I may feel that I may only get to see one more of your performances, I am excitedly waiting to see what more you can give us to well and truly tie your talents to our heart and soul.

Saturday, May 30. Evening.

Billy - Josh Denyer
Michael - Landen
Debbie - Nina
Tall Boy - Douglas
Small Boy - Cody

After being torn to shreds by Michael's afternoon performance I ventured back into The Maj for what was to be yet another attack on my physical and emotional well being. Josh merely took over from where Michael left off. Again I'll just highlight some memorable moments for me.

* Josh's gritty portrayal of Billy Elliot. Tough when he needs to be when facing his father and brother who don't understand his love of ballet. Vulnerable when faced with Mrs Wilkinson's faith in him. She is his surrogate mother and it's no wonder he clings so tightly to her after she encourages him to do his best at the audition.
* Nina's little dance steps outside the toilet door as she plays with her hair before making "that offer" to Billy. Then the look she throws over her shoulder as she exits that scene pulling a face and poking her tongue out.
* Landen's best performance yet. And that's saying something because Landen has been delivering some first rate performances of late. He has his timing down pat, allowing the audience to take in the conversation between himself and Billy in "Expressing Yourself". Absolutely spot on tapping with lots of comedic face pulling. In the pre "Swan Lake" number he landed so heavily doing the splits that it seemed feasible that he really knew the meaning of his double entendre. Tonight Landen received a resounding cheer and ovation as he danced on to take his final bow. Top stuff.
* Josh's "Angry Dance" was delivered with full force. The yells coming from deep inside and delivered at full volume - especially that last scream to close Act 1.
* The look of sheer enjoyment on Josh's face during "Swan Lake", especially during the cable work is a joy to behold.
* "Electricity" just enthralls us from that opening one handed backflip to the stunning final flips and rock solid finish. For those few minutes your heart is in your throat and you stop breathing. This young man continues to cement his position as King Of Street Electricity, surpassing anything we've seen previously.
* Had to laugh at Andy mouthing the words "Oh, for f**k's sake" as he watched Josh's movements trying to put Michael off boxing.
* "The Letter" performed by Josh is devastating from the moment he breaks down into uncontrolable sobbing.

Josh's performances of late just keep getting better and better. I'm sure those lucky enough to see him perform during these last days will walk out of the theatre marvelling for some time over the talent displayed by him. I'm always torn between "The Letter" and "Angry Dance" as to which one is my favourite Josh performance, but I now add "Electricity" into the mix. To be honest, I think it's a 3 way split for equal first.

Return to “Reviews - Sydney & Melbourne (Australia)”