Carlos Puts - Billy

ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Carlos Puts - Billy

Post by ERinVA »

Carlos Puts will play Billy in the Dutch production.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
onceagain
Tall Boy

Re: Carlos Puts - Billy

Post by onceagain »

Small interview with Carlos about opening night coming Sunday, also contains a production picture of him doing Angry Dance. http://www.metronieuws.nl/meer-metro/ca ... ttDjh6bII/

Carlos, when did you hear you got to do opening night?: On Monday. I didn't expect it. I did wish very hard for it, but I wouldn't begrudge the others if they got to do it.

Have you played in any other musical?: No, not a single one. I participated in the operetta Cantiamo in the theatre in Zoetermeer and I did ballet and break dance. Someone told me about the auditions for Billy and I just kept getting through.

Are you nervous for Sunday with all the famous people that come to watch?: A little. Nerves are part of the deal and they should be. If you aren't a bit nervous you would muck it up.

How did you like the Billy Elliot Scool?: I liked everything a lot. The only downside was that if my family had parties I had to go to bed early.

Do you have the same dream as Billy Elliot?: I would find it incredibly cool to be a professional ballet dancer, but I'm not so sure anymore whether I prefer dancing or acting. I would have to decide soon, and I maybe want to audition for the Royal Conservatory in The Hague.

How will you dress for the afterparty on Sunday?: I don't know yet. All Billy's have their own stylists, so it surely will be pretty.
FlyingDutchfan
Small Boy

Post by FlyingDutchfan »

onceagain wrote:
Carlos, when did you hear you got to do opening night?: On Monday.
So, Carlos did have his debut on Saturday the 22nd and got the news of being selected for opening night the following Monday!

Am I surprised? Not at all, after having seen him portraying 'his' Billy version on his very first preview last Saturday.

Besides being a wonderful dancer and very good singer, he is a fabulous natural actor. Despite lacking experience this early in the show, his acting already shows splendid timing and a brilliant display of emotions when and where needed. And also.....confidence!

Imagine a Billy on his very first night at the beginning of the 'Letter scene'. He starts unpacking the 'special things' from his bag: Rubick's cube is followed by 'Donald Duck's Holiday Omnibus' (being 'TV Theme Times' considered too alien to the Dutch audience) and he also manages to retrieve the infamous tin of beans. And then........nothing! With one hand already holding 'The Letter', the other rumbles franticly through the bag but apparently the packet of soup plays tricks with Billy and remains in hiding. What options does a child with hardly any acting experience in front of over 1000 people have at such a moment? Showing confusion? Falling silent? Glancing in despair towards the adult and most professional actress in front of him portraying superbly Mrs. Wilkinson? Well, in such a situation a natural actor keeps his cool despite his tender age and puts up calmly the only item remaining to him.

Mrs. W: "What's that?"....
Billy: "A boxing glove"....
Mrs. W.: "How am I supposed to make a dance about white beans and a boxing glove?...
Billy: "Aghhh....I don't know".

At that moment my thoughts went to the production crew at the back, closely following the show and I did imagine them nervously consulting their papers trying to discover whether the script had changed without their knowledge or if they themselves had been in the wrong by prompting Billy and Mrs.W these lines, being put forward by both actors most convincingly, although at odds with what was intended.

Of course, a professional or natural actor keeps his head when things go the other way. But during one's very first preview and being this young? Certainly the 1000+ audience members didn't notice anything. Speaking about cool-headed confidence.....

But the show had to go on and the song awaiting Billy at that moment requires deep emotions to be acted. So, just moments after his close escape, Carlos starts singing his 'Letter Song'. And during the very first lines there they are: tears.....real tears. Not in abundance, but subtle and most convincingly supporting the body language with which Carlos underscores Billy's emotions during the song, also to the audience members seated further on.

So, any doubts about Carlos doing opening night?

In my view he has already after his first show deserved to be nominated for two awards: the DCC/Redmand-Trophy for natural and convincing acting and the Mitchell-Cup for real tears during 'The Letter Song'.

It's safe to predict Sunday's opening night's audience will be stunned by a truly fabulous cast and not in the least by this one out of six all tremendous Billy's.

Go for it, Carlos! Go!
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Thanks for that, FDF, that was a remarkable save! And even better, Mrs. W. actually does make up a dance about boxing gloves. Brilliant!
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

FlyingDutchfan wrote: Mrs. W: "What's that?"....
Billy: "A boxing glove"....
Mrs. W.: "How am I supposed to make a dance about white beans and a boxing glove?...
Billy: "Aghhh....I don't know".
This is brilliant! In fact I think the boxing glove idea works better. Billy would have had the boxing gloves in his bag when he went to dance lessons, to make Dad think he was going to boxing. I loved hearing this. Well done Carlos! :D
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

I just clapped as I read that exchange. Brilliant! :D

"Good writers define reality; bad ones merely restate it." -Edward Albee
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

Carlos has won the Upcoming Junior Talent Award at The Netherlands Musical Awards Gala:

https://www.facebook.com/BillyElliotNL/ ... =1&theater
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

Here is a video from ErasmusTV, showing Carlos receiving his award:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2ptTpy7EZw
onceagain
Tall Boy

Post by onceagain »

Carlos appeared in an episode of the Dutch show Junior Dance, where he talked about what happens backstage and how to prepare for a show. We can see a bit of his warming up and safety check (with Stijn being there as well): http://www.npo.nl/junior-dance-2015/27- ... _AT_811177
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

Carlos appeared at the recent Erasmus (College) Music Gala and performed Electricity for an appreciative audience:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAkattS ... e=youtu.be

Return to “Cast - Netherlands”