BETM UK tour + Easington and Dawdon trips

Sheffan
Tall Boy

BETM UK tour + Easington and Dawdon trips

Post by Sheffan »

I became a great fan of the movie version of BE around the time of the 2000 cinema run and was greatly moved by it, but it took quite a while for my interest in the musical theatre version to develop. Perhaps I saw it only 3 or 4 times during the long VPT run, but it was seeing the live cinema screening that has really griped my imagination. When the tour was announced in 2015, I conceived a plan to visit most of the tour venues.
I missed the Plymouth run due to work pressures, but I will never forget my trip to the North East. I will shortly write a full review of the show which I have just seen at the Alhambra in Bradford. I realised that what I saw at Sunderland Empire would take a few weeks to fully absorb in my mind, so for this article I will concentrate on my visit to Easington itself. I could have visited earlier, but seeing the town during the run at the Empire made for a very special trip.
There are a few articles on the web of visits to the town by people who have seen BETM, but some of them seem to be written by journalists eager to make political points against the writers and producers, accusing them of profiting at the expense of the miners. They seem to want to put people off by painting the town as a depressing, perhaps even unsafe place to visit. However, even though I’m not as ‘left wing’ as the creators of the show – I can relate to the human suffering caused by economic and social after-effects of the closure in 1994. I came away with the impression of a town that is proud of it’s connection to the show and has in some way started to renew itself, with the progress made by the Social Welfare Centre (great to see Haydn, Scott, Annette and Martin visit the centre) and the Colliery Band (playing outside the Empire on opening night as well as it’s part in the VPT final show). Although the streets were surprisingly quiet, at no time did I feel uneasy. The few people I passed directly either smiled or said hello. PLEASE DO TRY TO VISIT EASINGTON IF YOU CAN. Perhaps this account will inspire you.
I started with a day in Newcastle on April 27, having never visited before. Over the past 20 years this former shipyard city has re-invented itself with a vibrant museum scene and new arts hubs (Hanford Museum, Baltic Centre, Castle, Discovery Museum). The next day I travelled to Sunderland on the easy to use Metro local train network and checked in to a well known budget chain hotel that is only 100 m or so from the theatre. Sunderland seems a bit more ‘down at heel’ than Newcastle but there are still lots of things (Winter Gardens, National Glass Centre, Monkwearmouth Station Museum, etc) to see as well as the iconic bridge across the river Wear as seen in the 4 Billys photos that seem to have become a tradition on the tour’s arrival in each city. The theatre was impressive (bigger than VPT) with it’s cosy red seating and ornate paintings and plasterwork. Saw Haydn, Henry and Lilly on the night of April 28th – my first show of the tour. My full review will be at Bradford, but what a revelation these three were.
I knew that Easington would only really fit into my schedule on Friday 29th April, the day I wasn’t seeing the show. I wanted to spend most of the day there. I went to the nearby bus station and took the no. 23 bus (Hartlepool) which runs every 30 mins on Monday to Saturday until early evening. The journey takes about half an hour. On entering Easington Colliery, the first thing you see as the bus comes down the hill of the main road (Seaside Lane), on the left, is a building with a brightly painted corrugated metal roof and frontage. These protect what remains of the Realto Cinema (closed1975) – now a carpet store. The side entrance on Oswald Terrace, now bricked up again, was the door of Everington Boys Club in the movie. I went around to the back of the store into Londonderry Terrace. After a short distance another unnamed alley forming the back access to two terraced rows of houses branches off to the left. At this junction with Londonderry Terrace is the location of the snowman in the Billy-Michael Christmas scene. If you look at the film, the back wall of the cinema is visible in the distance. It was now starting to rain, but I struggled with my umbrella and phone and managed to take a few pictures. It is interesting to note, as I could confirm later in the visit, that the village is quite well kept considering its continuing social problems – there were only very small amounts of litter or graffiti and plenty of flower tubs near the centre.
Then I went back to the main road (bus stops both directions near here) and after a short walk down the pavement came to a deli shop and bought a pulled pork hot sandwich from the friendly couple inside. In this section of the road is the Co-Op where grandma would have bought her pastie. On the right in the village centre is the Social Welfare Centre which now helps former miners and also provides activities for young people. Their website says they welcome visitors including people with an interest in BETM. I am quite shy and hadn’t rung beforehand so did not enter but the door was open. Incidentally this welfare centre is not the one in the movie. That is in the village of Dawdon, 5 miles or so away and not on this bus route. Apparently, there is a bus from Sunderland to there. I might go in the future as Dawdon is also the scene in the film where Billy pirouettes while dancing towards the rusty metal sheeting (up Embleton Street).
Next I went further down Seaside Lane, where the sea was now visible. On the left is a chemist. The left turn after that is the short street that Billy, Tony and Dad walk down on the way to the coach near the end of the movie. As you turn, you will see ahead of you a large, well kept area of grass. Sadly this is the location of the streets of Billy & Michael’s homes – Alnwick & Andrew Streets – they were demolished in 2003. Turn around when you reach the grass and you will see the faded white wall of Wrights Prize Bingo – the brightly painted red hatches visible in the movie are just as vivid today – looks like they are regularly repainted.
Walking to the top of the grass leads to Crawlaw Avenue which is the road Jamie Bell dances along after the Fred Astaire sequence. Turning right and walking downhill leads to the top of Anthony Street used during the police chase scenes in the movie. You will also pass along the top of Angus and Avon Streets. If you walk down the alleyways behind the houses – these are almost identical to the demolished streets where Billy & Michael lived. I took a few photos here and nobody bothered me. Further down, Crawlaw Avenue leads to a large open green space (site of the former colliery) in one corner of which is a well kept memorial garden to the 1951 mine disaster. No vandalism here either. Walking across this space to a car park near the coast, I turned left up a shallow but long hill – there is a timeline of the pit history formed from stone plaques in the grass. At the top of the hill stands a preserved lift cage with a good view back to the village. It is possible to cross a bridge across a railway line (open but no station near here) to the beach but the ground was muddy with the rain so I decided against it. I walked back to the village and met a couple of old miners walking their dogs on the way who said a cheery hello. We would have chatted, but was beginning to get wet due to a heavy hail shower so needed to hurry back to the village and the bus stop.
On the Saturday 30th April, I saw the final Sunderland show (with Matthew, Elliot and Evie), another remarkable threesome. There was a slight disappointment in that the stage manager didn’t arrange anything special for the final curtain (in Plymouth all 4 Billys took the final curtain call). After the show I went to the stage door. I just watched as the cast were busy with their luggage. Several lorries arrived and it was surprising how quickly the set was being dismantled. Didn’t see any scenery – everything seem to be packed in trunks before it was placed outside. I guess this would have gone on for several hours.
Hope you feel inspired to visit Easington and Sunderland!
Bridget40
Tall Boy

Re: A visit to Easington - 29 April 2016

Post by Bridget40 »

A fasinating write up Sheffan, thank you. I have promised myself that if I am ever up near the North East, I will make it a point to visit Easington, and the surrounding area.
Sheffan
Tall Boy

Post by Sheffan »

Thanks for your kind comments Bridget40.

Found an interesting article in the Durham University online student magazine dated November 2014 about a visit to Easington by two students. Click on the following link:

http://www.palatinate.org.uk/bursting-t ... -hometown/

There are also some posts on Easington in the General Chat section of the forum.

Forgot to mention that during my visit two young boys around the same age as Billy & Michael crossed the grassed area mentioned in my article about 20 metres in front of me. Couldn't hear much of their conversation, but made out the words F*** off!! so Easington kids must swear a lot. It wasn't meant maliciously - just their way of saying "get lost"
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

Real Geordie
Ballet Girl

Re: A visit to Easington

Post by Real Geordie »

During September I spent a few weeks on the coast of Northumberland, later moving southward for another few weeks by the mouth of the river Tyne, on the Durham bank. The Tyne used to be the historical boundary between the counties of Northumberland and Durham, before they introduced the hideous administrative name of Tyne & Wear. This was a period of an Indian summer, with really warm and pleasant sunshine - although you would quickly suffer from hypothermia if you were foolish enough to enter the sea. I spent some days walking along the coastal path in both counties, just randomly dipping in and out and at a leisurely pace. One day I reached Easington Colliery, a place I had never previously visited, and decided to take a detour to have a quick look around.

In reality there is not a great deal to see, There is some new housing, some streets of old colliery houses, some green grassy areas where houses had been removed, shops, the welfare hall, derelict school buildings etc. People were going about their business. Just a normal small town. I thought about buying a pasty from the Co-op shop there, but decided against. Not even a pub that I could find. I was in desperate need of a pint. Easington Village is about one mile away, and does have a few pubs. It did occur to me however that Easington is a place known around large areas of the globe due to both the film (though then referred to as Everington) and BETM. And yet, no real attempt has been made to celebrate this fact. There is no reference anywhere to Billy Elliot, although other towns in the region do try to cash in on celebrity status eg. Catherine Cookson Country [Wikipedia - Dame Catherine Ann Cookson. She became the United Kingdom's most widely read novelist, with sales topping 100 million. Her books were inspired by her deprived youth in South Tyneside, North East England, the setting for her novels.]

Could the good people of Easington earn a few quid by having a Billy Elliot weekend or festival in the Easington area ? Of the many millions who have seen the film and/or show I am sure some might be attracted. What form would it take ? Absolutely no idea. It has the potential of being either a triumph or a disaster ! Any visionaries out there ?
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: A visit to Easington

Post by kport »

Real Geordie wrote:During September I spent a few weeks on the coast of Northumberland, later moving southward for another few weeks by the mouth of the river Tyne, on the Durham bank. The Tyne used to be the historical boundary between the counties of Northumberland and Durham, before they introduced the hideous administrative name of Tyne & Wear. This was a period of an Indian summer, with really warm and pleasant sunshine - although you would quickly suffer from hypothermia if you were foolish enough to enter the sea. I spent some days walking along the coastal path in both counties, just randomly dipping in and out and at a leisurely pace. One day I reached Easington Colliery, a place I had never previously visited, and decided to take a detour to have a quick look around.

In reality there is not a great deal to see, There is some new housing, some streets of old colliery houses, some green grassy areas where houses had been removed, shops, the welfare hall, derelict school buildings etc. People were going about their business. Just a normal small town. I thought about buying a pasty from the Co-op shop there, but decided against. Not even a pub that I could find. I was in desperate need of a pint. Easington Village is about one mile away, and does have a few pubs. It did occur to me however that Easington is a place known around large areas of the globe due to both the film (though then referred to as Everington) and BETM. And yet, no real attempt has been made to celebrate this fact. There is no reference anywhere to Billy Elliot, although other towns in the region do try to cash in on celebrity status eg. Catherine Cookson Country [Wikipedia - Dame Catherine Ann Cookson. She became the United Kingdom's most widely read novelist, with sales topping 100 million. Her books were inspired by her deprived youth in South Tyneside, North East England, the setting for her novels.]

Could the good people of Easington earn a few quid by having a Billy Elliot weekend or festival in the Easington area ? Of the many millions who have seen the film and/or show I am sure some might be attracted. What form would it take ? Absolutely no idea. It has the potential of being either a triumph or a disaster ! Any visionaries out there ?
I believe this has been posted before:

https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2014/ ... -screening

The Easington Colliery Band played at the last show at the VPT:

http://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/easi ... -1-7833048

There is this:
Working Title Films, which produces the show, has now revealed all box office takings from the final performance on April 9 will be donated to East Durham Trust – a charity based in Easington where the musical is set.
https://www.thestage.co.uk/news/2016/bi ... s-charity/
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

Easington Colliery was the site of a terrible tragedy in 1951. The town will commemorate it:

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/1 ... kest_hour/
Sheffan
Tall Boy

Post by Sheffan »

Real Geordie raises some interesting points and it is indeed disappointing that Easington hasn't been able to capitalise much on the Billy Elliot connection. There seems to a general lack of funding for this. If anyone wants to discuss ideas with the locals, see the links below for the Social Welfare Centre. I've included 2 links as there seems to be two versions of the site.

http://www.thewelly.biz/billyelliot/

http://www.thewelly.biz/

I'm planning to visit Easington again and also Dawdon where some other scenes in the 2000 film were shot. This will be on March 15 and 16 2017. I will post details shortly.

Whilst it is true that there isn't much to see in a tourist sense, like many members of the BETM cast during the Sunderland Empire run, I felt I had to see the locations depicted in the original film and gained much emotional fulfilment in doing so. My trip on 29 April 2016 seemed all the more poignant to me considering I was seeming BETM only 8 miles or so away on the previous and the next day. My next trip will take place whilst the tour is still running.
Sheffan
Tall Boy

Easington and Dawdon trips during Billy Elliot UK Tour 2016/

Post by Sheffan »

Just to let everyone know I'm planning another visit to Easington on Wednesday 15 March 2017 and also Dawdon on Thursday 16 March 2017 for the first time. Dawdon is used in the Angry Dance sequence of the 2000 Billy Elliot film. Jamie Bell dances up Embleton Street in Dawdon where the sea is visible in the background. The sequence ends in the alleyway that runs behind the houses in Stavordale Street West. Please send me PM if you would like to join me. If that happens, I'll try to get some support from the Easington Social Welfare Centre who may have someone willing to guide us.

If you need some inspiration, this link is a short clip of James Lomas, BETM original Billy who seems to have visited Dawdon at least. He is in the alleyway mentioned above. Dates from approx. 2007 after he had left the show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16A2FpQMQgA

Sorry dates are inflexible as my hotel nights 14/15/16 March in Newcastle are non-amendable.

On March 15 I'll travel to Sunderland by metro and then on the 23 Hartlepool bus for the 25 mins journey to Easington Colliery. I'll be covering a similar route to that described in my post about the 29/04/16 visit. For food there is Jills Fish & Chips or R&R deli or the Half Moon pub in nearby Easington Village.

On March 16 I'll travel to Sunderland and then get the train to Seaham which adjoins Dawdon (about 20-30 min walk). There is a Wetherspoon, the Hat & Feathers in Church St for food. I'll be walking up Embleton St and Stavordale St W as described above to take photos as well as Mount Stewart St where the Miners Welfare is located (which Gary Lewis as Dad runs into towards the end of the film to tell the miners about Billy's audition success). May also walk near the sea wall if possible which I believe was used in the Alien films.

On the evening of March 16 I'm seeing the Blood Brothers UK Tour at Newcastle Theatre Royal - the performance is sold out as far as I know.

Return to “Billy Elliot UK/Ireland Tour”