Plymouth Reviews

ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Plymouth Reviews

Post by ERinVA »

Here's a thread for reviews of the Plymouth show.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Plymouth Reviews

Post by porschesrule »

This isn't an official review per se. It's from a blogger who attended the first dress rehearsal on Monday night. It's titled A First Look: Billy Elliot UK and Ireland Tour at Theatre Royal Plymouth

https://thatmusicaltheatrenerd.wordpres ... -plymouth/
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

According to this article: 'What's On stage writer Rachael Dodd is reporting live from Theatre Royal Plymouth on the first night with exclusive pictures and behind-the-scenes gossip as ticket-holders take their seats for the show...'

http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/Live-up ... z415bGyz1s

@heraldnewslive on Twitter

theplymouthherald on Facebook
Flyin high
Small Boy

Post by Flyin high »

porschesrule wrote:This isn't an official review per se. It's from a blogger who attended the first dress rehearsal on Monday night. It's titled A First Look: Billy Elliot UK and Ireland Tour at Theatre Royal Plymouth

https://thatmusicaltheatrenerd.wordpres ... -plymouth/
I enjoyed reading this blog from the very first dress rehearsal. In particular, interesting what she says about the changes to the show:

"As much as I adored the London production (which is closing in April), I did feel that it was becoming a little dated. So when I noticed numerous small changes in the touring production I was pleasantly surprised, because they are all very worthwhile and effective. I won’t give too much away, but the new choreography in both the act 1 and 2 finales is amazing, a few scenes have had a revamp, and the new lighting, staging and orchestrations have all improved the show a great deal. This means that there’s something new for long time Billy fans who have seen and loved the West End show, while still remaining loyal to the original production; but to newcomers to Billy Elliot, every aspect of the show will be brand new and amazing. The creative team have done a brilliant job of updating the show for new audiences all around the country, and I for one could not be happier with the changes they’ve made."
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

Though there are a fair few people here who have seen a fair few more North American Tour shows than I, this review/conversation reminded me to say this...

Those attending the Tour shows in the UK and Ireland are in for a treat! There will absolutely be changes right from the start, and they'll add more here and there, too, no doubt. Looking forward to seeing which changes you catch when you go, which ones you don't like, and which ones you do! :D

Sean

"Good writers define reality; bad ones merely restate it." -Edward Albee
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

It will be nice to read about the set at some point. I wonder if they have used or incorporated some of the US Tour set, which was shipped back to the UK after the North (and South) American Tour ended? It was specifically designed for a fast break down/set up, and transport in containers and lorries.
BILLYFAN
Debbie

Post by BILLYFAN »

Thursday 3rd March 2.30pm Mat.
Billy Matthew Lyons
Michael Henry Farmer 1st half
Samuel Torpey 2nd half
Debbie Lilly cadwallender
Small Boy Isobelle Chalmers

As I was driving the 35 miles to Plymouth taking a friend with me who as also seen the London show twice
plus the live show at the cinema, we were wondering if it was as good as the London one .

It is different, with Quite a lot of alterations and yes, I think it is at least as good as the London show
and in "he could be a star" better
I won't go too much in the alterations (I doubtful if I can remember all of them) as I don't want to spoil the show for the Billy fans who are planning to see the show
The stage scenery is similar to the London one but every thing comes in from the side the stairs come in
near the front of the stage the only thing that "gets in the way" is the table that has to be manually shifted to and from it's position every time
The show started dead on time the opening is different from the London but it works and makes the scene more realistic
Matthew is a brilliant Billy his dancing and singing was very good
Expressing Yourself:- It was obvious that Henry was struggling, his voice was very husky and it looks like he was going down with a cold, but he continued and done his best, which was good and at the end
was encouraging the audience to clap in which they did
The letter scene, Matthew and Mrs Wilkinson were very good a lot of hankies were got out in the theatre
The angry dance Matthew was brilliant but the tune and the scene was a lot different from the London one I wasn't very impressed with the changes But I am seeing it again at the end of the month so i'll make up my mind then if it is better or not
The 20 minute break become almost 30 minutes and I was disappointed with the opening of the second half their was no raffle and Gorge and Billy and Tony with a collecting tin Whether the raffle was cut out because the interview overrun I don't know
Some miner changes to Maggie Thatcher
The dream Ballet Samuel played Michael Deep in the Ground and he could a star a lot of change to this
and it works very well and I think it is better then the London show
Electricity:- change to the scene went Billy goes in to preform his audition he is upset because he is not required to dance at the end when he is with his dad he did a very good ballet Electricity
Once we were kings is slightly different at the end they go to back of the stage, as in London, and a curtain then the miners banner come slowly down giving the impression that they are going down the mine in a lift
The final was slightly different and at the end had a good standing ovation from the audience
The theatre was full Holds nearly 1200
My friend thought there was more ballet and tap dancing in the show
A very good show and to all you Billy fans it is worth seeing and if you can, go and get tickets, the tickets are selling fast and perhaps write a review, I'm not very good at writing reviews so I'm sure that some of you can do better
Overall a very good show most change are good and enhance the show, the only disappointment for me
is the absent of the raffle (hence no Newcastle joke) and I've got reservations on the angry dance
Some of the tune are slightly different as well
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

Here's a blogger's review of the show in Plymouth:

http://www.littleelliemae.co.uk/2016/03 ... royal.html
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

Another blogger weighs in on the Plymouth production:

http://www.woodenwindowsills.co.uk/bill ... -plymouth/
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

After last night's "Press Night", here's the first of the commercial media reviews -- this one from the Plymouth Herald:

http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/REVIEW- ... story.html

Return to “Reviews - Billy Elliot UK/Ireland Tour”