Sheffan
Tall Boy

Re: Bradford Reviews

Post by Sheffan »

Real Geordie
Ballet Girl

Post by Real Geordie »

....... quickly sets the scene by opening with his titular character (Matthew Lyons) on a blackened stage, listening to a radio and wiggling his derriere.........
For those who have not yet seen the tour version, this is an error on the part of the reviewer. The character is in fact Small Boy (or girl as it happens). Billy appears on scene at a later stage.
Barry Appleby
George

Post by Barry Appleby »

Evenings 24th / 25th May
Well while the show is in the area, about 90 miles away from home, I'm making every effort to see as many of the Billy's, Michaels and Debbie's as possible in the tour.
Anyway I met up with one or two forum members we had a “rite good time” plenty of laughs, the weather on the Tuesday was fine and warm but Wednesday, pretty awful, so we visited the Industrial Museum, we got there once we got the Sat Nav sorted, to anyone visiting Bradford its well worth going to see, we found it very interesting, so back to the hotel for coffee, rudely interrupted by a fire bell, so we all had to step out in the rain for 20 minutes, until the fire brigade gave the all clear, by the way, no fire. Called a lot of things in my time but never Mosses, as I led us all back to hotel by a short cut through the fountains in Centenary Square after the show.
So back to the show, Tuesday night was Haydn, Wednesday evening Matthew, I enjoyed both their performances I thought they were excellent. Their portrayals of Billy are very much the same.
They play a determined Billy, in a gentle but lonely way. Mind you can forget that, in Angry Dance, they jump of that table, in such a rage, up the staircase, then throw the duvet and bed mattress across the stage in such a temper, their tap was outstanding, with power and venom, the timing was spot on, as it has to be, because their so much involvement with the ensemble in this version, again the great orchestration, makes the scene so exciting.
Expressing Yourself, with Michaels, Elliot Tuesday and Henry on Wednesday, was so enjoyed by all, great ovation from the audience on both nights and as I said last week it's a very colourful scene with the drapes, shimmers, and lighting.
Quiet an emotional Letter Scene, from them both a few hankies out in the audience followed by a hilarious B2B with many laughs, at Daniel Page's antics as Mr. Braithwaite, skipping was perfect, he really is a funny guy on stage, well worth watching.
Haydn, he danced so well with Luke Cinque-White in Dream Ballet, it was such a pleasure to watch. We had a treat on Wednesday though, you would have been happy Pinknic, Matthew was partnered by Barnaby as Older Billy it was really great to see him on stage again.
Scott, as Tony walks through the audience at the beginning of act 2 as usual shouting “Dig deep for the miners”, people started putting cash in his tin, Scott just stood, looked in amazement and burst out laughing. The Ensemble really go to town in Merry Christmas Maggie Thatcher getting that audience participation, again I love the orchestration, followed by a powerful rendition of Deep in the Ground from Martin Walsh, he has really got a good voice. Scott And Martin's portrayal of Dad and Tony isn't as harsh as in the London production which makes it quiet acceptable.
Both boys Electricity, is straight forward ballet, I call it the Liam style, so well performed by them, a real well deserved ovation of appreciation from the audience again.
Evie was Debbie on both evenings, what a live wire, her looks could kill, maybe the smallest Debbie I've seen, so reminds me of Connie Fisher, I hope I get the chance to see her again.
Again the smallest George I've seen is Leo Atkin, he plays a real gobby “no all” George so well.
Another fine performance again from Annette McLaughlin as Mrs Wilkinson, she shows so much compassion for Billy when realizing he can dance and after giving him such a rough time earlier.
Andrea Miller, maybe the tallest Grandma I've seen, she plays it sometimes, shall I say“with it” and sometimes as though, just in another world, her Grandma's Song is a pleasure to see and watch.
So as I said last week things change from the London production, after Mrs Wilkinson and Jackie Elliot chat in the snow, so at the moment I'm saying nowt, just get and see the tour, and as Billy Whizz says you will enjoy it I'm sure. The Ensemble work so hard throughout supported by the ballet girls, everyone should be proud of their efforts, which was certainly appreciated by all.
A special thanks to Musical Director Patrick Hurley, I think the orchestration throughout the show is so refreshing.
So I hope I can get to see Lewis and of course Italia sometime in the future, nice to see Lewis with Adam and of course the big surprise, well lets say the legend, Brodie, on Irish TV by You Tube.
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

Real Geordie wrote:
....... quickly sets the scene by opening with his titular character (Matthew Lyons) on a blackened stage, listening to a radio and wiggling his derriere.........
For those who have not yet seen the tour version, this is an error on the part of the reviewer. The character is in fact Small Boy (or girl as it happens). Billy appears on scene at a later stage.
If it weren't for the fact that he also appears later in the show, too, one might easily come to the conclusion that Small Boy is supposed to be Billy at an even younger age, another shadow dance if you will, with hopscotch first and spinning chairs later. Obviously, the child does continue on throughout the show, so they should have realized that wasn't the case.

"Good writers define reality; bad ones merely restate it." -Edward Albee
Sheffan
Tall Boy

Post by Sheffan »

I live in Sheffield (hence my profile name) and travelled by train to see BETM in Bradford, being the only Yorkshire stop on the tour. I will be attending 1 or 2 shows at each of the tour locations apart from Plymouth which I missed due to work.

I had a memorable time seeing the show in Sunderland, especially as I visited Easington itself (see my article in this forum), but I thought I'd allow my thoughts a few weeks to crystallise, hence this review of the show in Bradford relating to the Thursday 2 June evening show.

As Barry said, the Alhambra is a strikingly beautiful theatre in a very prominent location – the imaginatively designed City Park was a very nice spot to relax before the show.

The first thing that strikes you at the start of the show is how big in scale this tour is and how amazingly talented the cast are.

At this performance, Adam performed the role of Billy. The fire and determination in his eyes was readily apparent. He is such a superb all rounder – convincing acting and an astounding dancing talent – he studied at the same Liverpool dance school as Elliot Hanna. I was a little worried when he fell over twice during Expressing Yourself – in the interval it was suggested by my neighbours that there may have been an issue with his tap shoes. Anyway, he recovered very quickly and finished the show normally.

In Angry Dance he was electric when the got up after the final fall to the floor – really sending a shiver down everyone's spine. I really enjoyed the changes here – Billy almost impailed on the slogan covered wall being built at the back of the stage. At the end of Electricity the roar from the audience was deafening and he looked very moved, tears in his eyes. You don't expect this level of passion from someone so young.

This was the first time I had seen Italia as Debbie – what a sterling performance from her. She captures the spirit of the stroppy girl perfectly & delightfully potty-mouthed!!

For someone who is only 9 years old, is there anyone who belongs on the stage more than Elliot Stiff? In the boxing scene his comic timing as Michael was spot on – within seconds the audience were struggling to breathe!! In Expressingly Yourself, he was delightfully outrageous in a shocking pink frilly dress and really nailed the tap finale of this song to perfection. He is completely un self-concious.

The adult cast are all a delight- I thought Annette was amazing as Mrs Wilkinson. Scott and Martin are perhaps a little quieter than some previous actors who have played Tony and Dad but they really explore thoroughly the complexities of their characters. They both show their sensitive sides to perfection.

The changes to the opening work really well – I like the use of material from 1980s TV and radio footage of the strike and the use of these as samples near the end of Angry Dance give these scenes an almost eerie, unnerving feel, perfectly complementing the story.

As almost all my fellow reviewers have said, fans who hold the London show need not worry – the story and staging is almost identical for most of the show and any of the tour cast would fit well into the original VPT show. It is almost as if the directors and Lee Hall have lovingly reworked some scenes, producing an almost 'Director's Cut' version much like the maturing of a fine wine (I can't find the right words). The updated He Could Be A Star is the most striking example and I fully agree with what Pat said. Billy has a shocking role in this scene – which makes total sense as it better explains the turning point in Billy's crisis of relations with his family and community.
Needless to say there was a standing ovation from the whole audience.

I stayed at the Premier Inn overnight after the show. There is a very nice pub up the hill from the stage door called the Titus Salt (Wetherspoon) to relax in after the show. The following day I visited the Media Museum - opposite the Alhambra and the nearby Impressions Gallery on the City Park. I did a very good self guided walk round the old town - there is an interesting area called Little Germany near the new Broadway shopping centre which hasn't been spoilt. I also visited Bradford Cathedral near there.
Real Geordie
Ballet Girl

Post by Real Geordie »

A video review from someone who had not seen the show previously. Seems as though she left the theatre somewhat poorer having bought various merchandise on offer. Michael was played by Elliot Stiff this performance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QKkuB6O-Kg
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

Sheffan wrote:I live in Sheffield (hence my profile name) and travelled by train to see BETM in Bradford, being the only Yorkshire stop on the tour. I will be attending 1 or 2 shows at each of the tour locations apart from Plymouth which I missed due to work.

I had a memorable time seeing the show in Sunderland, especially as I visited Easington itself (see my article in this forum), but I thought I'd allow my thoughts a few weeks to crystallise, hence this review of the show in Bradford relating to the Thursday 2 June evening show.
Loved your review. Thank you for posting it!

-Sean

"Good writers define reality; bad ones merely restate it." -Edward Albee
Barry Appleby
George

Post by Barry Appleby »

Thursday Matinee 9th June

It's getting to be a struggle to do so many reviews, I don't come from Dublin, so just a quickie, as we seem to be short on reviews from the tour and I wasn't going to bother but I hate missing anyone out, so at the Thursday matinee it was Italia as Debbie, the last of the three Debbie for me to see, and she didn't disappoint, she certainly plays the part, full of life, really does give Billy a rough time until she thinks, he's a bit of alright, then she tries the charm, we know the outcome, and eventually she storms off in the end in disgust. I certainly like the way Matthew mutters his disgust at being pushed around in Shine and Solidarity.
Jack Butterworth, played Older Billy, it was great to see, both him and Matthew together, their timing was spot on, a long ovation from the audience.
So I've seem the 3 Debbie's and the Michaels, just I hope. sometime to see Lewis, I've only one show at Cardiff, then it will be Edinburgh for me.
Couldn't go without another mention of Samuel, what a character, he's just a born comedian, the audience gave, such an ovation, has he baited them after a wonderful Electricity with Matthew, they are a great pair together. also his antics in the Pre Ballet scene, with his expressions of pain.
One thing I noticed in the boxing scene, well two things, George had a new cap, must have been to Bhs, mind you, he was back to the old one with the badges on, in act 2. Secondly, when he says in the Boxing scene, its Boxing not Butlins, the kids shout out Butlins.
To the Full Cast, as Paul McCartney say's in Hey Jude, “You were great, You were great, You were great, You are all great”.
Real Geordie
Ballet Girl

Post by Real Geordie »

Following a video review by someone who had never seen BETM before (post 5th June), to someone else who has seen more than a hundred London performances. This relates to a visit to Bradford Alhambra theatre on 6th June. At around 22:30 it gets near to the point of entering the theatre - the whole video is 47:15. Some interesting views on the changes made to the tour version. I’ve seen the tour version five times to date (off to Bradford Saturday morning for the last two there), and I think you inevitably spend the first viewing comparing what you are seeing with what you saw in London. Subsequently you can simply enjoy the performance in its own right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOOSFJX_stk

Return to “Reviews - Billy Elliot UK/Ireland Tour”