Dublin Reviews

Barry Appleby
George

Re: Dublin Reviews

Post by Barry Appleby »

The supposed review from the Irish Times, we really do not need a bleeding political history lesson, I wonder if he was even born in 1984, what planet do these people live on and I bet he got his ticket for the show for nowt.
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

This is a far better review:

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment ... 22347.html

Opening night social sightings, courtesy of the same newspaper:

http://www.independent.ie/style/society ... 18928.html
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

Sat Mat 30th July

That Irish Times headcase needs to go and see a shrink as his so-called review was torn to shreds by another wildly enthusiastic audience at the BGE this afternoon. Three standing ovations with each and every cast member being cheered to the rafters as they took their bows. So rewarding to see Irish audiences recognising the quality.

I was genuinely surprised at the massive audience for a Bank Holiday Saturday when so many of the populace head off on their annual holidays or head out of the city to the country areas coupled with big Gaelic Football Championship games in Croke Park and Barcelona v Glasgow Celtic at Lansdowne Road and, of course, Riverdance barely a mile away. At the interval the Barcelona team bus was spotted outside the theatre (presumably, they were staying at the posh hotel nearby).

Inside, we had our own Billy maestro, Adam, messi-ing around with lasses in tights and making sure we all had a ball. Such clever and exciting footwork to marvel at and not a foul in sight. Not a single cast member was caught offside. Teamwork personified led by inspirational Captain Adam won the day. I’m looking forward to the next round.

Pat
Katwoman
Small Boy

Post by Katwoman »

Thanks for your reviews, Pat. It will be so good to have a regular report on how the tour is progressing since I am unable at the moment to make it to any shows. My last one was the final night in the West End (and what a night that was!). I had had a major operation six weeks before, and my sister booked tickets for us while I was still in hospital, so it was something to aim for. Since then, I have been undergoing follow-up treatment and have to pace myself very strictly. A trip to see my favourite show would be beyond me at the moment. So thanks for cheering me up with your comments, and keep up the good work.
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

You are very welcome, Katwoman. I sincerely hope you recover quickly and will be able to get to see the Tour show before it finishes next year. It's still the ideal pick-me-up, guaranteed.

Pat
Sheffan
Tall Boy

Post by Sheffan »

(Just sent you a PM as well). Really enjoyed reading your review Patc!! It is getting me really excited about my forthcoming visit to Dublin to see both shows on Sat 13 Aug. I'll try and write a review as well.

In a nutshell, your review captures very well the reasons why public response to BETM is so overwhelming - the emotions and themes of the show are universal for most people who come to see the show.

The fact, that like myself, you are so moved by it is because BETM is one of those rare shows which are funny, entertaining and moving at the same time.

I think that snooty reviewer is confusing individualism with individuality. He stereotypes all BETM theatregoers as trendy lefties - when in fact the shows theme and values strike a chord across the political divide. I also detect a subtle homophobia in some of what he says. Not very nice.

We fans know what special kids we have playing the Billys, Michaels and Debbies. It is remarkable that they can thrive while a long way from home and family. Sometimes people don't seem to realise this. I think I read somewhere that almost all touring shows involving children use local kids which makes the BETM UK tour set up remarkable. When that reviewer mentioned Adam flying around the stage it is as if he is almost implying our special dancing boys are doing so under duress.

Like the vast majority of people on this forum, I leave the threatre sometimes drained but uplifted with a positive belief in the triumph of what makes us human.

PS. So sad to hear that Scott has injured his leg and will be missing quite a few shows. Best wishes to his cover Tom Bainbridge.
Katwoman
Small Boy

Post by Katwoman »

patc wrote:You are very welcome, Katwoman. I sincerely hope you recover quickly and will be able to get to see the Tour show before it finishes next year. It's still the ideal pick-me-up, guaranteed.

Pat
Thanks for your good wishes, Pat. My recovery will be a bit of a long haul, but I hope to get to Manchester at some stage. When I first saw the schedule for the tour, my first thought was a week in Dublin would be wonderful, but my illness put paid to that. I visited Dublin a number of years ago and loved it, especially the evenings in cafes and pubs where everyone had to get up and sing, and the humour in naming certain landmarks (The Tart with the Cart and The Floozie in the Jacuzzi spring to mind).
I've also just seen the photo of you and Billy Whiz on another thread. Which one of you is which?
All good wishes, Kate.
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

Katwoman wrote:The Floozie in the Jacuzzi spring to mind.
Ah yes. Herself was moved from O'Connell Street to near Heuston Station to make way for The Spire that ultimately replaced the old Nelson Pillar that was (half) blown up by the IRA in 1966. The bottom half was blown up by the Irish Army a few days later...........along with half of O'Connell St.'s windows :D . That explosion was broadcast live.........on radio.

The Floozie as it was:
http://www.rareirishstuff.com/blog/the- ... .5112.html

...the Tart. Her normal location is at the bottom of Grafton St. where the Billys did their jump last week but she has moved by some yards during tramline construction. Constant groping has had its effect...or so I'm told :D .

http://www.newstalk.com/Dublins-Molly-M ... r-new-home
I've also just seen the photo of you and Billy Whiz on another thread. Which one of you is which?
I'm the ugly one :mrgreen:

Pat
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

patc wrote:
Katwoman wrote: I've also just seen the photo of you and Billy Whiz on another thread. Which one of you is which?
I'm the ugly one :mrgreen:

Pat
We're both ugly so that description was no help ;)

I'm the young looking one on the left :) :) :)
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

August 2nd to 4th.

Well, persistence has paid off and, having missed out on seeing Lewis as Billy at Plymouth, Sunderland, Bradford and Cardiff, finally got to see him not once but twice during a four show Billy-thon at the BGE. Four outstanding, cracking performances two from him and two more from Adam and Haydn. Matthew, whom I saw last week, must have been off for a few days.

With these amazing audiences it is hard to decide exactly the point where the clap-o-meter most goes off the scale. Could it be after Expressing? Or Dream Ballet or Electricity. Overall I think it’s after the Finale with all standing and whooping and cheering not wanting the cast to stop and the cast not wanting the curtain to finally come down. Some cast bending down as the curtain gets lower and Small Boy (girl) flat on the floor. Nobody wants it to end…..and the smiles of sheer happiness and delight, not just on the Billys’ faces, but the entire cast as they wave goodbye is some sight. It was mutual adoration.

Following my review of opening night when all the principals were on stage, we had some wonderful alternates over the shows. Due to Scott’s injury, Tom Bainbridge, who is also the Acro and Fight Captain, was in the role of Tony for all four shows and did a most fantastic job. Classy Older Billy, Luke Cinque-White had Thursday afternoon off and Jack Butterworth stood in magnificently. Jonathan Alden, who also covers Dad, gave us a great somewhat younger version of George. The versatility of the BETM cast and Ensemble has always been notable and, with a smaller Tour cast, I wouldn’t be surprised to see everyone being capable of playing any role if the need arises.

VPT legend, Barnaby, sporting a curly hair wig, played a full role as a Miner with a brief sojourn as a one of the coppers.

Michaels, Bradley (x 2), Elliot and Henry were awesomely magic in support of their respective Billys and given full scope to woo the audience and the licence to exhort them to go ballistic at the conclusion of Expressing. Hopefully, Samuel’s name will show up on the Cast Board soon. Twice before is not nearly enough.

Debbies Evie and Lilly certainly have the knack and the Toilet Scene with their timing is a huge hit. I had expected an almost stony embarrassing silence in Dublin for this one but, on the contrary, it is being greeted with hilarious results, even better than many times at the VPT in recent years.

Unlike at the VPT, the low stage, even from the front row, means that you miss nothing. I think I may have seen the Scab’s money lying on the floor for the first time in closeup.

Mark Collins, Assistant MD in London, told me I’d get to love the new music arrangements in some of the songs….and he was right. The replacement harp arrangements in Take Me Up and the Letter are delightful to the ear and, whilst I still love the old piano accompaniments (captured forever on the DVD/Blu-Ray) it’s nice to have two versions. The likes of Angry Dance has so much brilliantly new in it that it is taking some time to digest it all but the insertion of a brief swelling phrase from Swan Lake is pure genius. The new harmonies in some of the songs are stunningly beautiful. I think my favourite might be those performed during the indescribably emotional new version of “Take This and This”

Sitting in the middle front rows provides a view of the MD’s laptop screen that displays the instrument being played on his envy-inducing Yamaha synth at any given time. Among many others I was very interested to see that the music played for Shadow Dance is a dulcimer and the piano in Expressing shows as “Abbey Road Piano”. It was also fun to note that the programmer didn’t quite get the spelling correct as it was actually on the screen as “Duclimer” and there were also “Stings”. There is a second synth down in the Pit. This Pit is huge and the players have their own very spacious individual “booths”.

At the end of the day the truly brilliant all-round performances by the Billys are the heart and soul of the show. They draw every emotion from all of the other hearts and souls in the theatre. Every show I have seen on the Tour has been equally as good and emotional as ever I saw at the VPT and, whilst they are here, I intend to enjoy as many of these gloriously happy encounters as can be fitted in.

Everyone please join me in raising their glasses to the miracle that is BETM – no matter where it plays.

Pat

Return to “Reviews - Billy Elliot UK/Ireland Tour”