https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8zObcRXTn0

A written version has also been posted

https://healthywholemealbread.wordpress ... e-theatre/
Flyin high
Small Boy

Re: Bristol Reviews

Post by Flyin high »

Monday 31 Oct.

I was very excited to see the show again after a gap of four months. It was my second time seeing the tour.

When I first saw the tour in Cardiff, I’d been a little harsh in my review of the differences to the London version. I realise now that I’d been so emotionally attached to what I’d seen and fallen in love with 8 times at the VPT, that I found the changes difficult to digest!
This time around, I looked at the show more objectively and with fresh perspective. And wow, I’ve fallen head over heels again!

There are massive improvements since Cardiff I thought. The whole thing felt slicker and more confident. Comedy moments and timing are so spot on, as is the emotion. The whole cast know how to squeeze every inch of laughter, tears and emotion out of the audience.
Although no way near as large as Cardiff, the theatre felt generous in size but I love that old, musty, traditional feel of the Hippodrome. I was sitting at the front of the grand circle – it’s one of my favourite spots as I always enjoy the big numbers and fantastic lighting from that view point. I debated with myself about being in the stalls, as although I was front-centre of the circle, I was just that bit too far away to see the character’s faces in detail (this wasn’t so much the case at the VPT). Also my view of the orchestra pit was blocked by lots of cabling and rigging attached to the bar right in front of me! So bear that in mind if you’re hoping for a good view of the MD from up there!

Adam Abou was Billy and he completely blew me away. He is a wonderful little dancer and I’d go so far as to say that his Electricity was one of the best I’ve seen. So precise, dynamic and fluid. His turns at the end were fantastic. I always marvel at the boys’ stamina at that point in the show, and how they’re able to save the best for last. I always think I’ve see the best of their talent in Dream Ballet and B2B, but somehow these children manage to pull out all the stops for the iconic number.

Adam’s acting was also top notch. I can see how much the reactions and timing of all the cast has improved, and Adam was brilliant at leaving pauses just long enough but also being a pacey little Billy too. In particular I thought his Geordie accent was great (I’ve heard a few cast members drop in and out before, but Adam’s was consistently good and convincing).

Henry was Michael and Italia was Debbie. I was mightily impressed with this pair. Henry’s closing moments of Express were so self-indulgent, fun and over the top. And his bit of ballet was just hilarious. He didn’t hold anything back. I also love his singing as he enters for the dressing up scene. The toilet scene with Debbie was the best I’ve seen in terms of comedy timing. Adam did this slow rotation of his head round towards the audience after her offer which was genius and kept the audience laughing for ages before he finally rejected her. Sometimes the rejection comes very quickly, but this pair milked that moment for all it was worth to the audience’s delight.

In Cardiff, Billy and Michael seemed so tiny on the stage and more like little kids, than pre-teens. Obviously the kids have all aged and grown since the tour started and I can really see that now. For me, this makes the story more convincing – including Billy’s relationship with Mrs W, and with his older Brother. It did make me chuckle that ‘tall boy’ (Samuel) was the same height as ‘small boy’ though. For those new to the show, it might be a bit confusing as those two look very similar in some scenes, both wearing a similar coat and woolly hat. But I guess small boy needs the hat to cover her hair!!? This time around I really noticed how much work small boy/small ballet girl does throughout the show, and how those not-in-the-know might not realise it’s the same person in so many different scenes. Nicola was such a trouper and I liked how she did the whole finale as a ballet girl and then a quick costume change to come on as small boy at the end. She deserves a whole lot of credit!

Quick question – is tall boy sometimes played by a Billy and sometimes by a Michael??

Really, the whole cast was on top form last night and, in my humble opinion, are completely of west end calibre. Audiences of the tour are so lucky to be getting this kind of quality and energy. I loved the way Martin Walsh plays Dad. It’s quite different to Deka with variations on the comedy lines and mannerisms. The way he said ‘No’ after Billy’s whispered question at the audition had the audience in stiches for ages. I also liked Annette a lot more than last time. She played the letter scene so brilliantly (as did Adam). I heard a lot of sniffing in the crowd – not a dry eye. And Daniel Page got a lot of laughs in B2B (he’s a great dancer!) – this whole number was just joyful and they all seemed to be loving it. Adam showed off his skipping ability and tricks with ease!

I enjoyed the changes to London this time around. Like others have said, the opening sets the context better and is still as powerful. I enjoyed the addition of the beans and fork for Big Davey’s breakfast and like the small changes to the dance routine in Shine (but still don’t quite understand the trolley). In my blurred memory I hadn’t realised Billy still does quite a bit of solo dancing at the beginning and end of Angry Dance which I’m glad of – and this number looks so so dramatic from up above – sound, lighting and cast all coming together to create a haunting and powerful atmosphere. I also appreciated ‘this and this’ more and get the feel of the community coming together now. The only bit I really miss is the old audition scene, but that’s just me and I’ll always prefer that version as one of my favourite bits from the VPT shows.

The intricacies of all the set changes always fascinate me. The ballet girls have such an important role to play in moving chairs and tables around, making sure everything is in its correct place. I was being beady eyed in trying to spot some of these inner workings and noticed Mrs W surreptitiously taking a skipping rope and magazine out of Billy’s bag to place on the counter as Mr B brings in the piano for B2B. One of the ballet girls collecting up towels during Solidarity and Billy picking something up from the table after Grandma’s song (I’m still not sure what). So much they have to remember on top of their singing, dance routines and lines.

I feel energised, uplifted and joyful after watching the show. I love it more than ever and so glad the tour has been extended for many more people to see.
emcpow
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by emcpow »

Flyin high wrote: Quick question – is tall boy sometimes played by a Billy and sometimes by a Michael??

Billy picking something up from the table after Grandma’s song (I’m still not sure what).
Yes, both the Billys and Michaels play Tall Boy. At the start of the tour, just the Billys played TB, but now the Michaels cover most shows with the Billys playing the role occasionally.

And Billy picks up Grandma's glasses from the table. She takes them off before she starts singing, I think.

Thanks for the review Flyin high. I'm glad you enjoyed the tour more than the last time you saw it. It took me a couple of shows to get used to all the changes too.
Flyin high
Small Boy

Post by Flyin high »

emcpow wrote:
And Billy picks up Grandma's glasses from the table. She takes them off before she starts singing, I think.
Ah I see. Thanks.

I also forgot to mention the scene when the miners go back into the ground. Perhaps they've done this in other venues too where there's no ' lowering of the lift', but when the miners walked into the lift, there were lots of lights behind them (designed to look like more miners wearing head torches). This was really effective and gave the impression of a much larger group going down, and the doors slowly closed in front of then. Very powerful.
Real Geordie
Ballet Girl

Post by Real Geordie »

Some months ago I had booked three performances at Bristol over Thursday and Friday (3rd and 4th). Due to unexpected circumstances this then had to be altered to four performances from Wednesday to Saturday, two evenings and two matinees. Nothing out of the ordinary happened. There were no equipment failures. Nobody had to be replaced mid performance. Rather than re-tread old ground I have just made a few notes of my impressions on each day.

Wednesday (Evening) : Haydn partnered by Bradley. Haydn of course performed on press night at Bristol, and without exception he was praised to the rafters by the local media. I certainly wouldn’t argue with their views. I was pleased to see his name on the cast board, as I had only seen him on two previous occasions, both in Cardiff. Haydn gives the impression of being a very cheerful Billy, with a smile readily to hand. This may well reflect his own personality, as based on the promotional videos he comes across as a naturally happy sort of person. This therefore makes the contrast greater in scenes such as The Letter and Angry Dance. In The Letter his face reflected the torment and grief he was going through when making contact with his dead mam, and then once more having to say goodbye to her. He looked forlorn as she disappeared off stage. A number of the audience were very much affected by this scene. At the end of the evening, as everyone was shuffling to the exits, I saw a mother trying to comfort her daughter who must have been about the same age as Haydn. She was crying and disconsolate. The mother was trying to understand why. It may have been for some other reason, but I suspect that the overall emotion, high and low, of the evening had taken its toll.

Daniel Page has now set the benchmark for Mr. Braithwaite. From what was a largely insignificant role in the film, he has crafted a comedy masterpiece on stage. From the very first scene when he is coughing and spluttering into his handkerchief he is building up to his transformation from an overweight and unfit smoker and drinker, to a surprisingly agile dancer. The audience were nearly in tears of laughter . There is a definite competition going on between Billy and Mrs W versus Mr Braithwaite for the attention of the audience. The audience wins.

All of the dancing scenes were up to the usual standard, but Dream Ballet stood out as being perfectly synchronised.

Thursday (Matinee) : Matthew partnered by Henry. This was the seventh time of seeing Matthew at work. He is a much more serious looking Billy, and at times, such as Angry Dance, he can look ferociously angry. He ticks all the boxes in terms of dancing, singing and acting. My only comment is that - and I have noticed this on the last two occasions - in the final farewell scene with Mrs W he delays some of his responses so long that I genuinely thought he had forgotten his lines. But, that might be me becoming impatient as I become older and more cantankerous. Always give the benefit of the doubt !

The defining aspect of this performance however was the audience. Matinee performances, especially mid-week, can sometimes draw in a strange brew. People in work are working. Schools are in term time. Often there are many elderly, and sometimes infirm, members in the audience. Sometimes coach parties from outlying districts. Often they are much more subdued than other performances. Not on this day. They went crazy from the off. I have never seen as many (partial) standing ovations. After every single dance scene people were standing and applauding, from quite different areas. Somewhere behind me - I’m not sure whether in the rear stalls or the circle - there was an almost constant cheering and clapping. After Angry Dance - a dance which Matthew threw himself into with gusto, and gave it his all - they exploded into applause. Matthew, to his credit, remained suitably angry looking as he walked off stage. The response was even greater during and after the finale. They certainly enjoyed themselves !

After this performance I had to hotfoot it to Bristol Temple Meads station to catch a train home, returning Friday afternoon

Friday (Evening) : Haydn partnered by Henry. There is not much to say, other than to re-read the Wednesday comments. The single comment is that during Boogie, Annette really struggled to stop herself from collapsing with laughter at the antics of Daniel Page, who was milking it for all he was worth.

Saturday (Matinee) : Working on the running order for the week, I had expected either Adam or Matthew to make an appearance, but instead Lewis was on the cast board partnered by Samuel Torpey. Prior to the tour commencing, but after the cast had been announced, a number of comments were made about the ages and size of some of the younger cast. Were they perhaps a few years too young for their roles ? I think those comments remain open so far as Samuel is concerned. He is a natural comic and very inventive where he is given free rein to do his own thing, and certainly the audience absolutely loved him. But he is just so small compared to the others that at times he looks out of place. At the end of the day, he delivers. And probably that is the best response - and at some stage he will accelerate upwards. To be honest, I also thought the same about Lewis at the outset of the tour. Although he is actually aged 12 he has always looked a lot younger, and somehow smaller, than the other Billys. Now however he seems to be in growth mode and is both taller and leaner since the tour started. Even since I last saw him in Edinburgh - only six weeks ago - he seems to have physically changed, and now very much more fits the role.

I have commented in earlier posts about the acting skills of Lewis. On Saturday I was once again just so impressed. He may not know one end of a haggis from another, but he knows how to connect with an audience . He has a strong voice, speaks very clearly, and is very natural in the way that he works with other cast members. His Geordie accent is sound. It is meant as a compliment when I say I can imagine him kicking a football around the back streets of Easington, or standing on a street corner with his mates, being a minor nuisance. The audience soon warmed to him. He is a great dancer as well. Long before Electricity had come to an end he was being loudly applauded and cheered by the audience, before making his customary walk to the front of the stage. Every dance number received prolonged applause, and the finale (which takes a lot of people by surprise - they think the show is already over) gave the audience a chance to loudly show their appreciation for another great performance by the whole cast.

Back to Temple Meads to round off a very expensive visit to Bristol.

Some general points to finish, not date specific. Grandma tells Billy to sit down so she can tell him what his Grandad was like, like. In the past, including when played by Ann Emery, the word “bastard” was emphasised and spat out. In all of the above performances, this has now changed. The word is now spoken much more quietly and softer. No idea why, but it is just as effective. Michael says to Billy “did you really chin him”. Billy says that he didn’t and only pushed him over. This may have been true at the VPT where he banged his head against the safety curtain, but on tour he quite certainly does chin him. Is the welfare hall freezing, bloody freezing or f***ing freezing ? I have heard all three versions now. Now that Winter is approaching I suppose the latter will be heard more often.
jmh2014
Tall Boy

Post by jmh2014 »

Thursday 3rd to Saturday 5th

First impression of the Hippodrome was the similarity to the VPT, no surprise I guess as they are both Frank Matcham designs. The foyer is very small, so much so that you may have to queue outside until the auditorium opens. Better bet is to enter via the Piano bar next to the theatre.
The front row is very close to the stage (much closer than at the VPT) and you get a very close up look and both “Small Boy” and Billy as they make their way onto and off the stage.

I had yet to see both Adam and Henry, but thankfully this was rectified over the four shows. In fact, Lady Luck was on my side as seeing all four Billy’s in consecutive shows is very unusual.

Four months since my last shows in Cardiff and the show is now a lot slicker and all concerned seem much at home. The news jingle at the beginning reminds me of growing up listening to Radio 1!

First impressions of Adam is that he plays a cheeky Billy and very expressive. In Angry Dance his expressions, are possibly, more angry than I’ve seen before.

Henry is one of the very best Michael’s I’ve seen. The fun and humour is there for everyone to see, but it is during the winter scene where he excels, showing the depth of Michael’s vulnerability before switching back to his comedic bit ‘o ballet. The final look on his face melts your soul as Billy walks away from him.

The set design is better than the VPT and the transitions are much smoother and more sensible. Billy sat on his bed just before the letter scene was always a bit odd.

Daniel Page continues to steal the show during B2B, although having to fetch the piano, slightly dilutes his monologue.

Yet again the ballet girls excel and underpin the running of the show with all the extra work they do in moving various items of the sent without the audience realising.

Lewis was a real trouper during the Matinee on Saturday. It was clear that he was not 100% as he was coughing throughout his performance. He looked so shattered as he dragged himself off after Angry Dance, that It would have been no surprise has he been replaced. But we know what all the Billy’s are made of, and he breezed through the second half. His ovation after Electricity was one of the longest on the tour I’ve seen.

Size wise, Samuel may look out of place, but he more than makes up for this with his enormous talent. He was clearly born to perform.

Over the four shows there were two moments that stood out:

Matthew’s Electricity earned him a partial standing ovation. But it was his reaction as he stood there trying to contain his emotions that really endeared him to the audience.

The other was Haydn & Henry’s Express. There was a magical chemistry between them that is just natural and cannot be taught. I didn’t think anyone could match the pairing of Thomas and Nathan, but Haydn & Henry are right up there.
jmh2014
Tall Boy

Post by jmh2014 »

patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

Thanks to Flying high, Real Geordie and jmh2014 for your brilliant and comprehensive reviews. Music to the ears. I'm as smitten as ever with this magnificent Touring production as I was in London.

See ya soon, BRS :D

Pat
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

patc wrote:Thanks to Flying high, Real Geordie and jmh2014 for your brilliant and comprehensive reviews. Music to the ears. I'm as smitten as ever with this magnificent Touring production as I was in London.
I couldn't have put it better, Pat.
Real Geordie wrote:Daniel Page has now set the benchmark for Mr. Braithwaite. From what was a largely insignificant role in the film, he has crafted a comedy masterpiece on stage. From the very first scene when he is coughing and spluttering into his handkerchief he is building up to his transformation from an overweight and unfit smoker and drinker, to a surprisingly agile dancer. The audience were nearly in tears of laughter . There is a definite competition going on between Billy and Mrs W versus Mr Braithwaite for the attention of the audience. The audience wins.
I have to agree about Daniel Page. He has taken the role to new heights.
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
MsRF
Small Boy

Post by MsRF »

I'm heading to Bristol for the Friday and both Saturday shows. I haven't seen the tour since I went for a couple of shows back at the start of July, and reading all the great reviews has made me really excited to go again!

So far I've seen Adam, Matthew and Lewis twice each (once each in Plymouth and once each in Cardiff) so hoping for Haydn this time, but to be honest I'll be happy whoever I see!

I too agree with the comments about Daniel Page - I think his performance is inspired and really, he's worth devoting your attention to the whole time he's on stage.

Return to “Reviews - Billy Elliot UK/Ireland Tour”