BILLYFAN
Debbie

Re: Bristol Reviews

Post by BILLYFAN »

Thursday 17th November 2.30 mat.
BILLY=========LEWIS
MICHAEL=======ELLIOT
DEBBIE========ITALIA

I've been to this theatre before to see other shows, but not near the front, I was in seat B15 today and it is a lot below the stage but the only time it was a problem was in born to boogie, when the 3 laid down on the stage after their dance --could not see them at that point
The show started with the small boy (girl) walking down the centre isle with his radio on his shoulders and the miners strolling onto the stage for the opening number
This works very well, but I miss the film at the opening that was in the London show
The boxing scene "tea dance" was very funny I though George
was going to have a heart attack!
Both shine and solidarity were well preformed and Lewis's dancing was very good
It certainly was Michael's scene in expressing yourself and I liked the way he raised his arms to get more applause at the end
I thought the show was going to well in the confrontation scene when Mrs Wilkinson comes in and Billy is on the table 2 people come onto the stage and told Billy to get off, then the curtain came down
and about 3.50 the stage manager? came on stage and said there was a problem, the computer keeps on say no, so there will be a slight delay. at 4,10 he came on the stage again and said we will take the interview now and the angry dance will be at the start of the 2nd act
At 4,45 he again was on stage , say they are nearly ready to restart the show but because of the length of delay the last scene from act one will not be done
The show restarted at 4.53
I've seen this show 64 times in London and 3 tour shows and this was the first time that there was no applause when Billy was at the top in the flying scene but there was a big applause at the end
Electricity was extremely good the applause went on and on
I had to leave the show at 5.50 just after the acceptance letter as I had a train to catch at 6.44
The show is at lease as good as the London one but is it necessary for Mrs Wilkinson to be raised up on a trolley? or having disco lights? or having lights on some scenes around the edge of the stage? I suppose it adds "raze a taze" to the show, but is it necessary on a already good show?
I,m not saying the it spoils the show, because it don't just wondering if it is necessary
My bad luck did not stop there, the traffic was very bad, and because of the road works the bus stops
have been taken away so had to walk up to Collage Green to catch a bus, getting to the station at 6.35
only to find that my train (and others) was one and quarter hour late because of a fallen tree blocking the line further up country, so I could have seen the show to the end! if I knew about the train delays
cheltonian
Small Boy

Power failure in Bristol

Post by cheltonian »

I was at last night's performance at the Bristol Hippodrome when the electrical system failed during "Expressing yourself". There was a delay of 20 minutes or so, then the performance restarted. Within about a minute the system failed again,and the show stopped for another 15 minutes or so. To be honest I had zero confidence that the performance would complete, but after the second restart all was well.

I was blown away by the professionalism of the two boys, Adam Abbou and Elliot Stiff, who took it all in their stride and just carried on from where they had left off as if nothing had happened.

I've seen the show 3 times now during its 5 week stay in Bristol, it's really got a grip on me. Going again tomorrow, last minute decision and managed to get one of the few remaining tickets for what looks like a sell out last night. This strongly suggests to me that I'm not the only person that wants to experience this one last time before it moves on.

Standing ovation for Adam last night, well deserved.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Thanks for your post about the show, ckm1926.

You have a PM waiting in your inbox.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
cheltonian
Small Boy

Post by cheltonian »

I was at a packed Hippodrome last night for the final performance in Bristol and, it seemed to me, that they had saved the best til last!

On my previous three visits I'd been in my usual preferred seating, at the front of the dress circle. Last night I was in row H of the stalls, this may well have contributed to my enjoyment as, being that much closer to the stage, I could see far more of Billy's facial expression and appreciated even more what a fine acting performance Haydn gives.

I must confess that, although I've only seen two of the current Billy's, I was rather hoping for Haydn paired with Henry (as Michael) as they were so fantastic together when I saw them on press night. Henry oozes personality and makes a really great Michael and the two boys seem to really enjoy playing off each other.

Daniel Page had been unavailable at Thursday's performance, the part of Mr Braithwaite being taken by an understudy. Last night a different understudy, Kris Manuel played Mr Braithwaite and was a very capable replacement. Although looking very different, including costume differences (leather "bomber" jacket instead of duffle coat for example) he played the part with panache and great humour and Born to Boogie really buzzed.

I thought, even by his usual standard, Haydn was exceptional last night, Electricity was simply sensational and brought the whole theatre to its feet.

The atmosphere in the theatre was great last night with a great audience clearly enjoying themselves. With lengthy ovations at the end Bristol is going to miss this show.
dancingboy
Billy

Post by dancingboy »

BETM Tour

Something Missing?

I was in Bristol on Thursday afternoon to see the matinee performance, my fifth show only of the Tour. Billy was played by Haydn, which I was pleased about, since I was impressed with him when seeing him in Edinburgh. Samuel Torpey played Michael and it was my first time seeing him.
Overall it was an enjoyable afternoon's entertainment, which was due, largely, to Haydn, who didn't really put a foot wrong. Apart from a couple of occasions where I thought he came in too quickly with his line/s, i.e slightly before someone else had finished speaking, his acting and delivery were excellent, as was his dancing. When seeing the show I often look for timing and Haydn's was spot on during the big numbers, Expressing Yourself, B2B and, of course Electricity, the latter being received by the audience with tremendous applause and a standing ovation from some of us.
Samuel may be small in stature, but he was big of heart and full of fun and faces in Expressing Yourself and the Winter scene.
As some of you who know me, you will be aware that, during the last six years, I saw BETM hundreds of times and never fell out of love with the show. I saw some 25 London Billys, multiple Michaels, Debbies and Balet Girls etc, changes to the Ensemble from time to time ( although some cast remained for years). Over that period it became easy to get wrapped up in the show, one became familiar with everyone and everything that went on during any performance. The performances and talent, from young cast and not so young, was immense. Not always, of course, but for the majority of the time.
You could say that familiarity bred contentment.
One thing I have noticed about the Tour Production is that it appears that the roles of Debbie and the Ballet Girls have become somewhat less significant. There are less Ballet Girls on stage, so maybe that is part of the problem. Maybe it is because I am not familiar with them.
The main adult cast, I am sorry to say, will never grow on me. As has been the case with my previous Tour visits the adults all seem to want to shout their lines ( well, almost all their lines) from the rooftops and certainly have no need of a microphone. The shouting, to me, takes away some of the effect of the words being said.Again, I accept that not everything in London was perfect. There are one or two former London Billys I can think of who could give them a few lessons.
Obviously, I have known from the beginning of the Tour that there were changes to some of the scenes we were used to seeing, some I can accept, some I can't, but, in essence the show is the same. Some of the bad language has been taken away also, so maybe, coupled with the scene changes, it has diluted the show a little. For me, therefore, something is missing. For the Victoria Palace, it ain't.
Sheffan
Tall Boy

Post by Sheffan »

Thanks for you review ckm1926 (Neil) - please continue with more of them. The Birmingham stop in March/April or Milton Keynes in June I'm guessing aren't too far away from you. Welcome and enjoy!!

Andrew
cheltonian
Small Boy

Post by cheltonian »

Sheffan wrote:Thanks for you review ckm1926 (Neil) - please continue with more of them. The Birmingham stop in March/April or Milton Keynes in June I'm guessing aren't too far away from you. Welcome and enjoy!!

Andrew
Thanks for your kind comments. As you have probably guessed I'm an instant addict for this amazing show. I live roughly half way between Bristol and Birmingham so you won't be surprised that I have two tickets for Birmingham, including closing night. I've also booked a night in Manchester, which will I will do by train and with an overnight hotel stop, so you can see my commitment. I'm still thinking about Milton Keynes and maybe Germany!

I never experienced the London show, if it was considerably better than this touring show then it must have been amazing because the touring show is simply (as an RSC and WNO regular) the best piece of theatre I have ever seen.

Return to “Reviews - Billy Elliot UK/Ireland Tour”