Southampton Reviews

Sheffan
Tall Boy

Re: Southampton Reviews

Post by Sheffan »

On tonight in the title role was Emile Gooding, a livewire bundle of wide-eyed energy surrounded by equally charming young performers. He carries the emotion of the role – particularly the scenes where he remembers his mother (Nikki Gerrard) with an impressive maturity and holds the attention just has well as his more experienced cast mates

http://mytheatremates.com/billy-elliot-southampton/
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

This is another brilliant review!

http://www.illustratedteacup.com/2017/0 ... eatre.html

I have to confess - I am a little envious that this show has local bloggers join in on Press Night!
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

Another very positive review, this one from the Basingstoke Gazette:

http://www.basingstokegazette.co.uk/lei ... uthampton/
Sheffan
Tall Boy

Post by Sheffan »

The wonderful reviews just keep on coming in Southampton. On my way there tomorrow!!

http://onthescenemag.co.uk/billy-elliot-theatre-review
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

Billy Elliot is an absolute delight, and if you get the chance, this current UK tour is definitely worth seeing.
https://www.theedgesusu.co.uk/culture/2 ... r-theatre/
Sheffan
Tall Boy

Post by Sheffan »

Wed 15 Feb, Thur 16 Feb (eve only) and Fri 17 Feb performances.

I hadn't been to Southampton since the mid 1990s and my first and only visit to the Mayflower Theatre was for the UK tour of Chess The Musical in 1991, so in many ways this felt like a new experience which I was looking forward to immensely. As I have said before, I love port cities as they seem to provide the cultural melting pot in which the performing arts thrive and it is no coincidence that most of the BETM UK tour locations fall into this category.

Sadly, the city suffered massive bomb damage during WWII but luckily the Mayflower, dating from 1928, an ex-cinema, has survived. It is a huge 2300 seater venue, with a particularly large stalls level. I like to sit in the first few rows, but it felt like the equivalent of 10 rows back in the average theatre. On the other hand, the stage is slightly below eye level and for the first time since Dublin, I managed to see the dancers' shoes and the scab's money!!

Overhearing conversations in the foyer, it seemed like all 3 shows I attended were almost sold out, the only seats remaining were either single seats or the odd pair at the rear.

I had the pleasure of a nice chat with forum member jmh2014, whom I had arranged to meet prior to Thursday's show. Also during the week I also ran into other regular attendees John W, Rodger and Mel (?) who amazingly had booked the seat next to me at Thursday's show – very similar to the chance meeting with Pat in Edinburgh. Despite poor weather on my arrival, it became sunny and mild after a few hours are remained so for the rest of my stay.

It seems that a bug or virus was affecting quite a few of the cast during my visit. Nikki Gerrard appeared in the Wed performance but on Thurs and Fri, Dead Mam was played by Charlie Martin who also covered the role at the VPT. This was a sterling performance - judging by the sobs in the audience, she portrayed the emotion the role demands very convincingly in my view. Leo Atkin (George) was missing from both shows on Thursday and as Jonathan Alden his understudy (who also plays Big Davey at most shows) was also absent – it fell to second understudy Sebastian Sykes to play George. Looking at the cast biographies it is easy to come to the conclusion that he is a great asset to the show, but I was a little disappointed by his portrayal of George. I felt he was too young and 'clean cut' for the part, but then again as second understudy he is unlikely to get much practice. Indeed, a few minutes before the auditorium opened, a member of staff went in and I caught a very quick glimpse before the door shut again of quite a few adult cast members on stage doing a last minute rehearsal of a dialogue-only scene. This was not surprising given the above situation.

Wednesday saw Haydn (my most seen Billy) play Billy partnered by Samuel. Haydn seems to be growing up quite fast now. Samuel had to stand on tiptoe to reach Haydn's cheek in the Christmas Night scene. I've run out of words to describe the near perfection that is Haydn's dancing but I feel he is still pushing his boundaries as an actor. I noticed quite a few nuances here and there during this performance, too numerous to mention where he really extracted every last drop of emotion and showered the audience with his stellar radiance. Judging by a recent interview, Haydn is far from bored and gives the audience his whole being at each and every show.

I felt a little sorry for the cast on Wednesday. Everyone I spoke to said the same thing – the audience members were quite slow and quiet and it felt almost like a mid-week matinee. Samuel managed to get his usual audience roar at the end of Expressing, but his arrival was met with near silence from the audience. There was a murmur of unrest in the audience after he first swore. I struggle to find a reason for this (cast absences can't be the reason as these didn't happen until Thursday). Maybe it was because of the conservative nature of the local area. Also on Wednesday, there were a few members of the audience who seemed to gasp when the younger cast started swearing – doesn't anyone read the many warnings! Thankfully my spirits were lifted in the interval by a nice chat with a young lad in the next seat who was bowled over with the show. He had a good understanding of the background to the show from the film and the backstage technical challenges. Not all kids are distracting and he is a credit to his family.

There was much more audience enthusiasm for the Thursday and Friday shows, but on Wednesday evening only half of the audience joined the standing ovation, a low figure for this tour.

In Thursday's Dream Ballet, Adam got a roar of applause before he had even reached the ground. One the subject of Adam, I really feel he has now reached his full potential. Seeing him a few times last summer, he always seemed to have the odd slip or the misfortune to have a slight cold, but no such issues anymore. He just looks so comfortable, confident and self-assured now. I'm hoping he won't grow out of the role before the start of the Liverpool run on May 7 – he must be so looking forward to appearing in his home city. I've heard his good friend Elliott Hanna will be there.

Henry played Michael on Thursday, perhaps a tough less wackily than the last time I saw him, but just as hilarious and perhaps I detected a return of the more sensitive side to his portrayal which I noticed last summer particularly in the scene where he makes a pass at Billy. Experimentation is always good. There was a standing ovation immediately when Martin & Annette appeared to take the applause as well as after the chair lift, so that made up for Wednesday.

On Friday, Haydn again played Billy, this time partnered with Bradley Mayfield, who hails from near Sheffield like myself. In some ways, he is quite a serious and intense Michael, that trademark scowl can however, melt into a glorious radiant smile for Expressing Yourself. Either way he is in the audience's hearts from the very beginning. I was also fortunate to see him as Tall Boy the evening before.

Leo returned to the show on Friday, but the cast board was in error and was not corrected. One of the ushers joked that it was amazing that the cast board features regularly on facebook!!

Italia and Lilly did the honours as Debbie for these shows. Together with Evie, they are remarkable in that they always give a consistently good performance. It is in no way disparaging to say they almost merge into one persona. Their part may be small, but their acting is of the highest order and they are the glue that holds many scenes together. I just wish they were given more public attention. We all know Debbies in our own lives.

I continue to be amazed at the sheer professionalism of Scott, Andrea and Martin. They have appeared in every single performance I have seen on the tour so far.

The technical problems with the set, particularly the stairs may have now been resolved or at least greatly reduced. There were no interruptions to the show in any of the performances I attended in Manchester and Southampton.

It has been such a privilege to follow this tour to most of its venues - provincial theatres are so much friendlier than in the West End and I have had some interesting chats with seat neighbours. I've visited places I wouldn't otherwise visited. As I missed Plymouth, I feel I need to see the end of the tour in Hamburg.

During the day I visited the Sea City Museum which is within a few minutes walk of the theatre. It gives a fantastic interactive account of the Titanic disaster. Also worth seeing are the Art Gallery, Tudor House Museum and the Solent Sky museum. I also did a fascinating self guided walk of what remains of the town walls which I had downloaded from the web.

Unusually, the Mayflower Theatre can offer pre-theatre dining (which I didn't try). There are also small restaurants almost opposite the theatre – Thai, European, Indian or Amerian styles. There is a budget price Premier Inn within 10 minutes walk, which I used and is basic but clean and comfortable.

So that's 23 tour shows I've seen with at least 13 more booked. I'll write another post in the chat section soon with my thoughts on the future of the show. My next attendances will be Birmingham on March 29 & 30 (eve), April 28 and both shows on April 29. I'll be in Liverpool May 24, 25 eve and 26. I'll be in Milton Keynes June 16 and both shows on June 17, the final UK performances. I end in Hamburg on July 22 (eve) and the last show of the tour on July 23 (eve)

I will also be visiting Easington on March 15 and Dawdon on March 16. In the evening, I will be seeing the UK tour of Blood Brothers at Newcastle Theatre Royal.
Barry Appleby
George

Post by Barry Appleby »

Cheers, Sheffan for your info and reviews they are much appreciated. I'm looking forward to my trip to Southampton, like you the last time I was in Southampton was in the 1990's

Barry
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Thanks Sheffan for the brilliant review and also to everybody else for posting links to reviews.

It seems that the folks round Southampton are enjoying the show :)
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

Thanks, Sheffan, for a most informative and interesting review of your Southamp-"thon" :D.

Pat

Return to “Reviews - Billy Elliot UK/Ireland Tour”