Birmingham Reviews

Sheffan
Tall Boy

Re: Birmingham Reviews

Post by Sheffan »

Wed 29th March and Thurs 30th March (eve only).

These two shows mark my 25th and 26th time of seeing the show on tour, now far in excess of the 5 or so times I saw the show in London.

What a pleasure it has been to see the show in Birmingham. A few of the venues on the tour have effectively locked the audience out of the theatre until less than an hour before, but here things are so relaxed - the bars open at least 90 minutes before the show and all the staff are so warm and friendly. The bar areas are so spacious and modern, but I also love the older, more traditional auditorium with good sight lines from almost every seat.

I stayed overnight and spent the day exploring Birmingham's historic canal network - the towpaths run for miles around the city and it was so relaxing to escape the traffic. I had my pre-theatre meal canalside at the Tap & Spile near the Gas Street Basin, much quieter late afternoon than the city centre. The Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery near Victoria Square is huge and free and has has a good timeline exhibition detailing the history of the city.

The Wednesday Show marked my 3rd time of seeing Emile. I'm just so impressed with him, how he has progressed since I first saw him in Manchester has been remarkable. Despite the occasional vocal slip, boy can he dance - Angry Dance was met with much more enthusiastic applause than usual. What moves me the most about his performance is his ability to portray subtle emotion, particularly his interactions with Annette McLaughlin - I've was close to tears several times during his scenes in this performance, a feeling shared by many in the audience. The scene where Billy and Mrs Wilkinson hug prior to the "I'll set my alarm clock" during the first act - without a doubt was the finest portrayal of the scene I've seen during this tour so far. The love and emotion between the two seemed so authentic and true to life. The atmosphere was also full of "Electricity" during the goodbye scene between Mrs Wilkinson and Billy. Emile and Annette both looked very movingly at each other at one point and Annette looked visibly shaken and her chin began to quiver. There was a special chemistry between them during this performance - whether that happens at every performance I don't know, but this scene was just so magical on this occasion. Henry played Michael at this performance - a fine performance as usual but I've never heard more laughter than in this tour performance when he puts the tutu on during the Christmas night scene - what started as a few shrieks of laughter from a few ladies, rapidly spread like wildfire round the audience - eventually resulting in a belated round of applause not usually heard during this part of the show.

The Thursday show marked only my 5th time of seeing Samuel Torpey playing Michael. He probably has grown, but still seems to be quite short and it is great that he is not at all self-conscious about this. Indeed, it positively adds to his charm, as can be seen in the Manchester Theatre Awards video clip. As usual, Samuel was on top form, really giving it the razzle dazzle, his comic timing is spot on and he tapped with blistering precision. I regard this as a fitting tribute to the finest of musical hall traditions. He was paired with Haydn, the height difference meant Samuel was on tiptoe to kiss Billy during the Christmas night scene. Still, these two make a good pairing - they were having the time of their lives during Expressing Yourself. I can't find much new to say about Haydn, my 10th time seeing him perform - he has matured into an exemplary singer, actor and dancer who authentically lives the part every single day. He has really become a master of facial expressions equally adept at portraying joy or anger.

Nikki was absent at quite a few shows I saw recently, it is nice to see her back as Dead Mam. It is only during the last few times seeing the show that I've noticed she is appears with a different wig as one of the posh mums and also as the lady with the frizzy perm in Stars Look Down. There are probably other appearances I have not noticed.

After the rather indifferent sound quality at Southampton, Patrick and his merry band are back on form in Birmingham, with a crispness and clarity only bettered in Dublin and Sunderland. It does look like technical hitches are quite a rarity now and there were no significant problems during these 2 shows.

Prior to the Thursday show I had the pleasure of meeting two people for the first time - Neil and Jim. I enjoyed my chats with them immensely. Jim was over from the US to see four shows, having last seen the show in London. He was overjoyed with the performances.

I will be making a final trip to Birmingham to see the last 3 shows at the Hippodrome on April 28 and 29 when quite a few fans will be in attendance it seems. It will also be fascinating to see the trucks arrive to move the show to Liverpool. These last Birmingham shows will be the final ones for several of the cast. It will be interesting to see the changes when I see the show in Liverpool.
Sheffan
Tall Boy

Post by Sheffan »

Friday 28th April, Saturday 29th April matinee & evening.

From the start of this, my latest “Billython”, it felt like a very special final trip to Birmingham, especially as these shows were originally billed as the final performances of the tour. For this reason, many other regular show regulars were also present, along with families and friends of the cast and crew. As such it seemed extra special and memorable to me.

I had the pleasure of meeting Pat & Barry from the forum again, before and between shows and also Real Geordie for the first time – we had a very long chat in the Old Fox theatre bar opposite the theatre after the final show (more later). I also bumped into jmh2014 and Roger Gaitley again and a guy called Tony (whom I recognised from the row behind me at one of the Sunderland shows I attended).

On Friday afternoon, three of the nine Paul Matthew International megatrailers had already arrived in preparation to remove the show from the theatre on the Saturday night. The following morning several more trucks were in place, arriving much earlier than I thought.

I have come to love the Hippodrome as one of the most pleasant places to see a show – plenty of space and facilities second to none and really cheerful, friendly staff. On the whole, the show has been extremely well received in Birmingham – the local media made lots of positive noises and gave plenty of attention to the cast.

These 3 shows also marked the final appearances for Annette McLaughlin, Paul Hutton (police sergeant), Georgina Parkinson, Jonathan Alden (Big Davey) and Rafe Watts (second cover for Tony).

All three shows were technically faultless and the sound was crystal clear, loud and punchy where it needed to be and the audience reactions here were some of the best of the tour so far, perhaps only equalled or bettered by those at Sunderland, Dublin, Edinburgh and arguably Bristol. How MD Patrick Hurley’s merry band of nine manages to generate such energy, I’ll never know.

On Friday night, Lewis gave his final appearance at Birmingham, paired very well with Elliot. The applause for him at the end of Electricity was deafening, almost hysterical and went on for what seemed an age. It died to almost one voice, then to my amazement rose up again for a while longer. Elliot was at his comedic best but he gave perhaps one of the most emotional renditions of the Christmas night scene I’ve ever witnessed. He is a fine actor in the making, knowing how to use silences and body language expertly to extract every ounce of pathos.

At the Saturday matinee, we had the honour of Adam paired with Samuel. Adam and Annette were both very tearful after “You are very f****** special” and it took Adam a few moments to compose himself as One We Were Kings began. I’m fairly sure the MD inserted a few extra beats while Martin seemed to make sure Adam was okay whilst opening up the suitcase. Despite reports of Samuel being slightly unwell earlier in the week, he gave a fine and memorable performance. He’s never done Expressing Yourself better than during this show in my opinion. He seemed to have more difficulty than usual with his red shorts during Christmas night – whether planned or not, this generated even more hysterics in the audience!! Samuel got a full round of applause on leaving the stage at the end of the scene – it doesn’t seem to happen very often but feels very fitting when it does.

The final show had Emile paired with Henry. Emile gave a sublime performance, getting the same appreciation as earlier but I really thought his singing was much stronger than the last time I saw him. He’ll go very far in the years ahead.

Annette has never looked more emotional prior to Angry Dance or in the farewell scene. The chemistry between her and the children feels richly authentic and it was a privilege to have these final memories watching her.

Andrea Miller has continued her 100% attendance of the shows I’ve attended and Martin was incredibly emotional - his tearful stare in the near darkness during the line “He is my son!!” was much longer than usual. The audience roared their approval. I heard that Scott was told by Stephen Daldry (present during the last show) that his portrayal of Tony was one of the best he had seen. No arguing with that when it comes from the boss!!

After the show, I had a brief chat with other fans and had a few words with American fans Atreyu and Actingdude17. It was nice to share experiences. I’m impressed that quite a few fans have crossed the Atlantic to see the UK tour. Nice to speak to you guys!!

I rarely visit stage doors, but as other fans were around – I went round to have a few brief words. Perhaps only 10 or so fans were there. I didn’t bother with taking pictures or getting autographs as I wanted to enjoy the atmosphere and give full attention to the cast. In fact all the cast were very pleasant and genuine. I mentioned that I had heard rumours of something special being planned for the last UK show at Milton Keynes to one of the cast but he said he knew nothing about this.

I then went to the Old Fox theatre bar to meet up with forum member Real Geordie. We had a fascinating chat lasting almost 2 hours. Nice to speak to you finally, David!

Onwards and upwards...I’m trying not to think too hard about the end of the tour, but my next Billython will be in Liverpool May 24-May 27. All shows on these dates except the final one due to high hotel prices on the bank holiday weekend.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Regarding other activities during my visit - I had stroll around the famous Jewellery Quarter of the city. There is a museum there, but it was closed (was a Sunday). I also had a look inside St Martins In The Bullring Church and visited Think Tank, Birmingham's Science Museum.
Todd
Dad

Post by Todd »

Sheffan wrote:I mentioned that I had heard rumours of something special being planned for the last UK show at Milton Keynes but he said he knew nothing about this.
It will be interesting to see if they restore the Milton Keynes line to the show when it gets there. I seem to remember in the scene with Jackie Elliot and the Scottish ballet dancer when Jackie finally works his way over to the dancer to accept a cigarette from him that when he asks, "Where the bloody hell are you from?" the response used to be, "Glasgow. Where did you think, Milton Keynes?" I would think that line would generate a hearty round of laughs should they decide to go back to that, unless the locals would see it as more of an insult, as if they were being referred to as snooty or posh. Maybe someone who's more familiar with that town than I am could offer their thoughts on how that line would be received there.
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

Todd wrote: It will be interesting to see if they restore the Milton Keynes line to the show when it gets there... Where did you think, Milton Keynes?" I would think that line would generate a hearty round of laughs should they decide to go back to that, unless the locals would see it as more of an insult, as if they were being referred to as snooty or posh.
That line is still in the show. It was not removed. However, when the show was in Edinburgh, the Dancer wasn't from Scotland so it will be interesting to see what happens in MK. I hope they leave it in because, as you say, I'm sure it will get laughs.

Pat
Todd
Dad

Post by Todd »

patc wrote:
Todd wrote: That line is still in the show. It was not removed. However, when the show was in Edinburgh, the Dancer wasn't from Scotland so it will be interesting to see what happens in MK. I hope they leave it in because, as you say, I'm sure it will get laughs.
Pat
Interesting. I was thinking it had been several years since I had heard that line. Did they remove it from the London show towards the end of its time there ? If not, I guess I'm just thinking of the more recent performances I've seen in the U.S. and how it was not in the shows here, which would kind of make sense due to U.S. audiences not being familiar with Milton Keynes.
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

Todd wrote: Did they remove it from the London show towards the end of its time there ? .
No, Todd, I'm pretty sure it was always there but, on rare occasions, the Dancer was from Essex rather than Glasgow. Probably the alternate actor involved couldn't do a Scottish accent :D .

Pat
ActingDude17
Tall Boy

Post by ActingDude17 »

Sheffan wrote:After the show, I had a brief chat with other fans and had a few words with American fans Atreyu and Actingdude17. It was nice to share experiences. I’m impressed that quite a few fans have crossed the Atlantic to see the UK tour. Nice to speak to you guys!!

It was a pleasure to meet you, too!

I was at the Friday 28 April performance with Lewis and Elliot playing Billy and Michael. This was my first time seeing the show in over five years. This fact combined with my long-held dream to see the show in the UK and my fantastic view from the third row (better than I've ever had for BETM) made me particularly excited to be in Birmingham that night. One of the first things that struck me about this production was how strong the entire ensemble was. From the very beginning with "The Stars Look Down", they were fully present in the story and highlighted how the show is just as much about Easington as it is about Billy. I also noticed the various differences from the American productions. For instance, I've always known that the dialects were more authentic in the UK, but was still pleasantly taken aback by just how strong (and lovely) they were! Daldry's staging was genius as ever and I felt that the band did a particularly excellent job playing BETM's fantastic score. What a joyful reunion I had with this show after so many years of not seeing it. Here's hoping the next time is not so far away!
UK/Ireland Tour
Billy: Lewis Smallman
Michael: Elliot Stiff

2nd American Tour
Billy: Giuseppe Bausilio, Michael Dameski, Ty Forhan
Michael: Griffin Birney x2, Cameron Clifford

Return to “Reviews - Billy Elliot UK/Ireland Tour”