Milton Keynes Reviews

jmh2014
Tall Boy

Re: Milton Keynes Reviews

Post by jmh2014 »

June 17th

My first tour show was in Cardiff in June 17th 2016. Haydn was in charge that night and it was very fitting that my final tour show was exactly one year later with Haydn again.

The tour has definitely grown, matured and improved during this time. The final UK tour show was something very special - audience and cast in alignment to provide an outstanding send off.

Clearly the move to Hamburg in firmly in the company’s mind due to the “Dad’s Army” theme being replaced with Rod Stewarts’ “ Do Ya think I’m sexy”

Special mention to Anna Jane Casey who has an incredible vocal range, “The Letter” and “Shine” have never sounded better.

Not sure what was going on with the Giant Maggie puppet in MCMT, but it was swinging all over the place!

Bradley’s robot dance was a highlight in MCMT and his Tutu antics certainly amused Haydn.

The night, however, belonged to Haydn. The weather would make it a true test of his stamina, and he was not found wanting. Yes, his skipping went awry, but given the complexity of his routine, that’s no surprise. The chair got away from him during “Dream Ballet”, but he took it in his stride and did not miss a beat.

His enjoyment at performing was evident throughout the entire performance, but never more evident that at the end of “Electricity”. He relished the standing ovation and almost could not believe how long it went on for.

It was a stunning performance from an incredible performer – the sweat flying out of his hair at the start of “Angry Dance” was quite a sight.

Time will tell whether BETM will return to the UK, but it has left the UK on an incredible high.
Sheffan
Tall Boy

Post by Sheffan »

Sat 10 June (matinee), Fri 16 June, Saturday 17 June (matinee & evening).

It is amazing how quickly the time has flown since I first saw the BETM UK & Ireland tour in Sunderland. The last show in Milton Keynes was my 38th tour show. Although not in the same position as Real Geordie, Cheltonian and jmh014 in that I have the final 3 shows in Hamburg to look forward to, nevertheless I can concur wholeheartedly with their sentiments. In fact, what has been truly amazing about this tour is that I have met many members of the forum and fan page, seats being booked next to them on several occasions purely by coincidence. Everyone I have spoken to has been very friendly and respectful, adding to the enjoyment of seeing the performances – a big thank you from me to you all.

Not being able to wait for my main Billython here – I booked a day trip to see the Sat 10 June matinee in the circle, only about the third or fourth time I have seen the show from that vantage point. As others have said, it is amazing at this late stage to notice things for the first time. I had never properly noticed the large shadow behind Tony at the start of He Could Be A Star which looks more eerie from the circle and adds greatly to the pathos of this scene. I'd forgotten how beautiful the lighting was with sitting so much in the front stalls.

Although this theatre is not the prettiest internally or externally, it is nonetheless has very comfy seats and plenty of space. The acoustics have been first rate here and the performances have felt a little more intimate here compared with the big barn-like theatres elsewhere on this tour.

With regard to this UK final weekend – how Milton Keynes has finally exonerated itself and pulled off a cracking trio of shows which have been burned into my memory forever!! Teeing off on Friday, the formidable double act of Lewis and Bradley almost blew the roof off the theatre at the end of Expressing Yourself. There was a noticeable buzz in the air, after a rather disappointing (to me) very partial standing ovation at the Sat 10 June matinee. This Friday however, the magician Lewis turned a single clap just as the show was resuming after the Electricity applause died into a fresh bout of roaring and whistling.

Saturday matinee was to me Emile's best show to date. To me, he has always been a slightly more serious Billy and can telegraph his emotions to the audience very effectively. My eyes often water during his Electricity and The Letter and this performance was no different. He got a massive standing ovation with wild cheering and whistling after Electricity – I looked behind and perhaps 100 people were already on their feet and the rest of the stalls were following suit. A truly show stopping moment. It was nice to catch up with Elliot again as Michael in this matinee. I have seen him lots of times earlier in the tour but less so recently. He is really growing up now and I think Leo Atkin struggled to drag him during the boxing scene.

The final show itself was a standard performance with no speech or special finale which was a slight disappointment, but such a situation was widely expected after what happened on the US tour. However, all the cast sang and acted their hearts out. To my astonishment, Haydn repeated the standing ovation enjoyed by Emile earlier. He looked really emotional which only increased the noise even more. A truly show stopping moment only ended when the lights were dimmed. We may never know for sure but it is my theory that there were lots of people at the final shows who had seen the show either in London or on tour at relatively near other venues. Despite the many active members of the fan page and forum present, I suspect we were outnumbered by people who follow the show on social media but do not actively post contributions. I very much doubt there was a formal aftershow party as we saw some of the cast in a nearby pub after the show. We didn't bother them. Annette McLaughlin was present in the audience for the final show.

In terms of my UK shows it started and ended with Haydn for me. I have booked dates without any regard to which Billy was performing. But like many others have stated, the numbers have been skewed for me towards Haydn, accounting for 14 of my 38 shows to date – nearly half the shows. I don't mind which Billy is playing and I am unconcerned that their performances seem similar to some fans. However, Haydn to me has achieved everything he set out to do and more. He plays the part with confidence, professionalism and maturity but also a sense of fun and joy – he is equally adept at tackling the comedic parts of his role, for example his interactions with Michael as well as the heartbreak of The Letter scene. He will go far in the future and deserves the recognition he has received, being part of this juggernaut of a show. Due to the hot weather, he was sweating profusely after the major dances and looked like he had been in a swimming pool!

It has been good to see Bradley again, twice here including the final night, as I've not seen him quite as much as Henry, Elliot and Samuel. Bradley lives within a few miles of me, as does the family of James Lomas. His performance in the Christmas Night scene at Milton Keynes was his wackiest to date, particularly when he “pops” his tutu from his “derriere” to put it delicately.

I feel really sorry for Adam that he has had to miss Milton Keynes due to his wrist injury, but at least I saw him very recently in his home city of Liverpool. Here's hoping he can return before the end of the Hamburg shows. Likewise Samuel (only 1 MK show I think).

Special commendation from me to Scott Garnham as Tony. I was beginning to think he might leave the show early (after Birmingham) due to the many other projects he seems to get involved in. But I'm delighted he has stayed to the end. I think some of his most recent performances have been his most outstanding. During these last 3 shows, he has been incredibly emotional particularly during the “strikes over” scenes. Also, the “take this and this” scene is in my opinion one of the most cleverly written parts of the show and I'm sure it will feature in any future London revival.

I also pay great tribute to Andrea Miller for her portrayal of Grandma. She has attended 100% of shows I have attended and apart from the early weeks in Plymouth, when I suspect she was finishing a prior commitment, I don't recall from the cast boards I've seen that she ever missed a show. Correct me if I'm wrong. Like Scott, I feel her recent performances have been especially poignant.

Patrick Hurley, our erstwhile MD, also deserves some recognition. How he gets his merry band of nine to produce such a rich and complex sound defies explanation. He also must have lots of stories to tell after long hours with the show from his unique vantage point.

It was difficult to find tourist attractions in Milton Keynes to occupy myself in the daytime but across the road from the stage door side of the theatre is the huge Campbell Park, with attractive views over the surrounding countryside and a picturesque canal with a towpath to walk on.

I think it is important to try and feel positive and not fall into a grief trap about this show. I've got Hamburg to look forward to. I'll discuss my thoughts on the future when I post a review of my experience at the final Hamburg shows on 22 & 23 July. I feel that even then I won't have seen my last Billy Elliot. I'm about to start following the UK Tours of Miss Saigon and Blood Brothers. Both of these shows are gritty and emotional and I would advise all Billy fans to consider them.

The buzz is starting to build regarding Hamburg – seat sales seem better than Liverpool at this stage so I think there will be largely full performances by curtain up. Several fans who weren't originally going to Hamburg have now got tickets or are thinking of going. Reports from Gary say that there has been a huge improvements in cast board coverage with 19 out of 30 Hamburg shows covered at the time of writing. Friends of mine who have visited the city tell me they thought Hamburg was cosmopolitan and friendly with English widely spoken. Looking forward to meeting Jim from the US again. Hope to see more of you there.
BillyBillyElliot
Audience Member

Post by BillyBillyElliot »

Great review sir, thanks for the mention. I'm looking forward to seeing you in Hamburg as well, where as you know, I'm seeing the last 6 shows. One can only hope that BETM will return in the not to distant future, I'm certainly going to miss it when it is gone. I'm a newbie to BETM after seeing Billy Elliot Live in 2015. Prior to 2015 I thought BETM was nothing more than a kiddie show that I typically don't care for. The ads for the show with Billy dancing around in a tutu just reinforced my opinion that it was a supersized kids dance recital.

I think this present show is great but maybe a new look with a revival might be a needed shot to reinvigorate the show for a new generation. I know I would make the show just a bit edger, at least for an American audience anyway. Just my opinion.

Sheffan wrote:Sat 10 June (matinee), Fri 16 June, Saturday 17 June (matinee & evening).

It is amazing how quickly the time has flown since I first saw the BETM UK & Ireland tour in Sunderland. The last show in Milton Keynes was my 38th tour show. Although not in the same position as Real Geordie, Cheltonian and jmh014 in that I have the final 3 shows in Hamburg to look forward to, nevertheless I can concur wholeheartedly with their sentiments. In fact, what has been truly amazing about this tour is that I have met at least 10 members of the forum and fan page, seats being booked next to them on several occasions purely by coincidence. Everyone I have spoken to has been very friendly and respectful, adding to the enjoyment of seeing the performances – a big thank you from me to you all.

Not being able to wait for my main Billython here – I booked a day trip to see the Sat 10 June matinee in the circle, only about the third or fourth time I have seen the show from that vantage point. As others have said, it is amazing at this late stage to notice things for the first time. I had never properly noticed the large shadow behind Tony at the start of He Could Be A Star which looks more eerie from the circle and adds greatly to the pathos of this scene. I'd forgotten how beautiful the lighting was with sitting so much in the front stalls.

Although this theatre is not the prettiest internally or externally, it is nonetheless has very comfy seats and plenty of space. The acoustics have been first rate here and the performances have felt a little more intimate here compared with the big barn-like theatres elsewhere on this tour.

With regard to this UK final weekend – how Milton Keynes has finally exonerated itself and pulled off a cracking trio of shows which have been burned into my memory forever!! Teeing off on Friday, the formidable double act of Lewis and Bradley almost blew the roof off the theatre at the end of Expressing Yourself. There was a noticeable buzz in the air, after a rather disappointing (to me) very partial standing ovation at the Sat 10 June matinee. This Friday however, the magician Lewis turned a single clap just as the show was resuming after the Electricity applause died into a fresh bout of roaring and whistling.

Saturday matinee was to me Emile's best show to date. To me, he has always been a slightly more serious Billy and can telegraph his emotions to the audience very effectively. My eyes often water during his Electricity and The Letter and this performance was no different. He got a massive standing ovation with wild cheering and whistling after Electricity – I looked behind and perhaps 100 people were already on their feet and the rest of the stalls were following suit. A truly show stopping moment. It was nice to catch up with Elliot again as Michael in this matinee. I have seen him lots of times earlier in the tour but less so recently. He is really growing up now and I think Leo Atkin struggled to drag him during the boxing scene.

The final show itself was a standard performance with no speech or special finale which was a slight disappointment, but such a situation was widely expected after what happened on the US tour. However, all the cast sang and acted their hearts out. To my astonishment, Haydn repeated the standing ovation enjoyed by Emile earlier. He looked really emotional which only increased the noise even more. A truly show stopping moment only ended when the lights were dimmed. We may never know for sure but it is my theory that there were lots of people at the final shows who had seen the show either in London or on tour at relatively near other venues. Despite the many active members of the fan page and forum present, I suspect we were outnumbered by people who follow the show on social media but do not actively post contributions. I very much doubt there was a formal aftershow party as we saw some of the cast in a nearby pub after the show. We didn't bother them. Annette McLaughlin was present in the audience for the final show.

In terms of my UK shows it started and ended with Haydn for me. I have booked dates without any regard to which Billy was performing. But like many others have stated, the numbers have been skewed for me towards Haydn, accounting for 14 of my 38 shows to date – nearly half the shows. I don't mind which Billy is playing and I am unconcerned that their performances seem similar to some fans. However, Haydn to me has achieved everything he set out to do and more. He plays the part with confidence, professionalism and maturity but also a sense of fun and joy – he is equally adept at tackling the comedic parts of his role, for example his interactions with Michael as well as the heartbreak of The Letter scene. He will go far in the future and deserves the recognition he has received, being part of this juggernaut of a show. Due to the hot weather, he was sweating profusely after the major dances and looked like he had been in a swimming pool!

It has been good to see Bradley again, twice here including the final night, as I've not seen him quite as much as Henry, Elliot and Samuel. Bradley lives within a few miles of me, as does the family of James Lomas. His performance in the Christmas Night scene at Milton Keynes was his wackiest to date, particularly when he “pops” his tutu from his “derriere” to put it delicately.

I feel really sorry for Adam that he has had to miss Milton Keynes due to his wrist injury, but at least I saw him very recently in his home city of Liverpool. Here's hoping he can return before the end of the Hamburg shows. Likewise Samuel (only 1 MK show I think).

Special commendation from me to Scott Garnham as Tony. I was beginning to think he might leave the show early (after Birmingham) due to the many other projects he seems to get involved in. But I'm delighted he has stayed to the end. I think some of his most recent performances have been his most outstanding. During these last 3 shows, he has been incredibly emotional particularly during the “strikes over” scenes. Also, the “take this and this” scene is in my opinion one of the most cleverly written parts of the show and I'm sure it will feature in any future London revival.

I also pay great tribute also Andrea Miller for her portrayal as Grandma. She has attended 100% of shows I have attended and apart from the early weeks in Plymouth, when I suspect she was finishing a prior commitment, I don't recall from the cast boards I've seen that she ever missed a show. Correct me if I'm wrong. Like Scott, I feel her recent performances have been especially poignant.

Patrick Hurley, our erstwhile MD, also deserves some recognition. How he gets his merry band of nine to produce such a rich and complex sound defies explanation. He also must have lots of stories to tell after long hours with the show from his unique vantage point.

It was difficult to find tourist attractions in Milton Keynes to occupy myself in the daytime but across the road from the stage door side of the theatre is the huge Campbell Park, with attractive views over the surrounding countryside and a picturesque canal with a towpath to walk on.

I think it is important to try and feel positive and not fall into a grief trap about this show. I've got Hamburg to look forward to. I'll discuss my thoughts on the future when I post a review of my experience at the final Hamburg shows on 22 & 23 July. I feel that even then I won't have seen my last Billy Elliot. I'm about to start following the UK Tours of Miss Saigon and Blood Brothers. Both of these shows are gritty and emotional and I would advise all Billy fans to consider them.

The buzz is starting to build regarding Hamburg – seat sales seem better than Liverpool at this stage so I think there will be largely full performances by curtain up. Several fans who weren't originally going to Hamburg have now got tickets or are thinking of going. Reports from Gary say that there has been a huge improvements in cast board coverage with 19 out of 30 Hamburg shows covered at the time of writing. Friends tell me they thought Hamburg cosmopolitan and friendly with English widely spoken. Looking forward to meeting Jim Michaud again. Hope to see more of you there.

Return to “Reviews - Billy Elliot UK/Ireland Tour”