Re:  Chat About Malmö (2016) & Stockholm, Sweden, 02/20-06/11/17

Post by Eya »

Cast schedule up until the last show before summer:
http://kulturhusetstadsteatern.se/Docum ... 20BARN.pdf
Real Geordie
Ballet Girl

Re:  Chat About Malmö (2016) & Stockholm, Sweden, 02/20-06/11/17

Post by Real Geordie »

Short video of Stockholm Billys and Michaels dancing a promo extract from the show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2aGz9IqhR0 [Link to video]

http://kulturbloggen.com/?p=107480 [Link to review in Swedish]

It occurred to me that there have been no reviews for the recent launch of BETM in Stockholm. Here is one below :-

Billy Elliot at the City Theatre, a magical musical experience
Contributor: Thomas Johansson
The film Billy Elliot became musical with music by Elton John in 2005 and it was a huge success at the Malmö Opera last autumn. Now, the same set come to Stockholm City Theatre with brand new actor on the stage.

Title: Billy Elliot - The Musical
Games Period: Right now sold tickets to the November 22
It took almost 12 years, but now is the acclaimed musical Billy Elliot in Stockholm. It is set in a small village in the mining district, and in a year of strikes like a ten year old boy did not go to boxing training, but he would rather go and dance ballet. Admit, I have seen other sets and reputation as a great musical match. I sit with tears in my eyes during certain scenes. Thinking of the friends and colleagues who died and left children without a living mother. I howls of laughter and enjoying being completely enchanted.

I should not like this musical, for all roles is simple stencils, and the archetype for each role. We have the stubborn miners' father with no confidence in themselves or their children. All men should be the archetype of the man, a little cool and masculine. We have the senile grandmother, the dead mother dressed in white, funny guy friend that likes to dress in women's clothing and the angry brother to the main role of Billy Elliot. Yet it is not just me that loves this musical for the same applies to my whole family. We adore it. With simple dramatic ploy created a story we enjoy. Although we already know how it goes as we sit and just waiting for the next scene. A dance scene is magical-looking, with a fund of blowing feathers. The music of Elton John is simple but works just fine. The translation into Swedish of Calle Norlén is nearly perfect, and we do not lack the English set's coarse dialect, nice that it is in Swedish.

This a musical full of laughter, joy and everyone's right to be himself. Filled with cliches based on a musical that still feels realistic in any way, but there was never any common dances between police and miners. It may go to the category fantasies for musicals.

Billy Elliot is a perfect musical for the City Theatre, for there are contrasts in it. The workers who are run over by Margaret Thatcher's Fund to many other contrasts. Art against boxing or boxing is an art. Strikebreakers against the miners. Miners who fight for their job, which also kills many.

Musicals will be magnificent with lots of people on the scene, and Billy Elliot is a grand musical in City Theatre's version. A musical that is worth to be sold out every night, because here you have to as many people as possible get an opportunity to enjoy this precious moment in a theater. There is only a call, buy a ticket while they last, almost all tickets sold. Everyone I talked to after the show was quite lyrical over Billy Elliot, and when this rumor spread, so not enough seats in the City Theatre salon special way. Are you the least bit interested in a musical, see Billy Elliot at the City Theatre.

February 12, 2017

Return to “ Chat About Malmö & Stockholm, Sweden”