Alec Shiman: Michael - Ogunquit/ North Shore

kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Alec Shiman: Michael - Ogunquit/ North Shore

Post by kport »

ALEC SHIMAN (Michael) is thrilled to be making his debut with the Ogunquit Playhouse. Last summer, he performed with Maine State Music Theater (Les Miserables, Mary Poppins, Gypsy). Other recent credits include Brundibar & But the Giraffe, Distracted (Underground Railway Theater), Ragtime (Fiddlehead Theater), To Kill a Mockingbird, and Honk! (Boston Children’s Theater). Alec, who will be attending high school in Brookline, Massachusetts, has received IRNE nominations in each of the past three years for Most Promising Young Performer. Thanks to RKS Management, Michelle, Julia, Peyton, and everyone at the Ogunquit Playhouse.
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: Alec Shiman - Michael

Post by kport »

A nice article about Alec and his role in the moving play 'Brundibar'.

http://boston.forward.com/articles/1832 ... ndibar-to/

A nice review from Maine State Music Theater's performance of Les Mis last summer:
Other standout performances included David Girolmo as the Bishop of Digne, Sophie Calderwood as young Cosette and the perfectly cast Alec Shiman as the scrappy Gavroche.
http://www.pressherald.com/2013/06/29/m ... g-les-mis/
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

What can I say about Alec's performances so far? He is confident, cheeky, amazingly funny, and yet adds a degree of seriousness to the role that has (in my opinion) tended to become too 'lightweight' on occasion.

Michael's comedic side is a mask to hide the desperate fear and uncertainty boiling in his mind; Billy is the only one he can entrust with his private thoughts and yet Billy is about to abandon him. I sense those subplots within Alec's interpretation of the role.

Spoiler alert: Expressing is one of several numbers that is quite different (the other being the amazing new version of Angry Dance). It starts the same; they dress up and they tap, but it is more about Michael's self discovery than a joyful romp in tap shoes; it strikes me as a very important moment in Michael's life and in his relationship with his best mate. (Wait until you hear Alec's outrageous 'Ole, Baby!')! While some may miss the giant dresses or strange 'blue man' masks, worn by adults, they may find compensation in the addition of the Ballet Girls in stunning dance outfits and canes in a sort of 'Busby Berkeley' dance number along with Michael and Billy. I think keeping this moment of self discovery within the world of children, by excluding the oddity of grownups in strange outfits, absolutely justifies the other changes. It is a moment of childhood discovery and childhood trust, in my view, and it is highly entertaining - and not a bit 'strange'.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Interesting. That makes me think of Billy's using a stick as a cane in the film as he imitates Fred Astaire.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

ERinVA wrote:Interesting. That makes me think of Billy's using a stick as a cane in the film as he imitates Fred Astaire.
I think so. In fact, I think there are many ways in which the character of the film is being (re)introduced into subplots of the musical.
mikey2573
Tall Boy

Post by mikey2573 »

I am anxious to see the new EXPRESS as I never liked the number on Broadway and it was even worse on tour. The song was fun and got the audience going, but the tone of the piece completely contradicted the tone of the rest of the show; a gritty and realistic musical. Eventually I was able to accept the number for what it was, but I always thought it was ironic that, shortly after EXPRESS, Tony has a line that goes something like, "This isn't f***in' Disneyland, you know!" EXPRESS always seemed like a number that would be more appropriate for a Disney show like BEAUTY AND THE BEAST.
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

In any event, history will note that it was Alec who created - with great success - the 'new' role in 'Express'.

By the way, his 'nutcracker' is absolutely hilarious!!!!
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: Alec Shiman: Michael - Ogunquit

Post by kport »

After this show ends in Ogunquit, I will forever think of Alec with a huge smile whenever any Michael says: 'Ole, Baby!'!

No one has done it the way he is doing it!
mikey2573
Tall Boy

Post by mikey2573 »

I agree about Alec's "Ole Baby". Amazing how that one line has been completely reinterpreted by this brilliant little actor.
KiwiT
Small Boy

Post by KiwiT »

Awesome Alec

Well the Ogunquit production really struck gold when they found Alec Shiman for the role of Michael!

It is often said that Michael steals the show in Express and the Winter Scene but Alec does not need to steal anything for he totally owns the show in those numbers! Ok in Express that is partly because in the Ogunquit version Billy takes a bit more of a black seat role but mainly it is because Alec is just so awesome!

He has so many magnificent little touches such as his version of "Ole Baby" in Express, the way he thumps the floor in the Winter Scene after the Nutcracker joke, looks over to Billy, gets no reaction from him, and then changes his own facial expressions which are just pure magic. Alec totally gets it, as well as being a comic genius he is also sensitive and vulnerable at times.

After the hand warming scene he waits for Billy's reaction and, fearing the worst takes a couple of very small steps away from him. Others take much bigger steps but the smaller .cautious moves work really well. When Billy picked up the tutu and gives it to Michael acknowledging his acceptance of him he visibly relaxes and starts to play around again. It is just so convincing and believable.

In the Sunday show he did make a small mistake with his lines in the Winter Scene saying "I don' t think this red will go with my burgundy... Will go with my tutu!" I teased him very gently about this afterwards and he said "oops I hoped no- one would notice!" I suspect that 99% of the audience didn't but unfortunately for him there were probably three or four fans who did! I mention it not to cause him any grief - far from it since to err is human.... - but to highlight his quick thinking as he immediately realised his mistake and corrected it with barely any hesitation at all. now I don't imagine he would have practiced that so it just goes to show the awesome talent of this young man!

No surprise the to read in the programme that he has been nominated in each of the last three years for the IRNE's Most Promising Young Performer Award. If he decides to continue in the entertainment industry don't be surprised if he is nominated for an Oscar one day!
61 Brilliant Billys, 44 Magnificent Michaels

Return to “Cast Members - Past Regional Productions”