Re: September 2010 Reviews - New York

Post by porschesrule »

And Tall Boy as well. :)
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

Billy Whiz wrote:They've gone about this in completely the opposite direction in London. They've kept the red shorts and just changed the wording in the line to red :D
How interesting. I think I would have preferred the direction London went, as the bright red shorts look more absurd, ie: appropriate for Michael.
:/
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

But the pronunciation of "burgundy" is so much funnier. 8-) :D
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

Will catch up with these reviews ASAP but also looking forward to reviews coming soon of last night's show with Forum members and the star's parents proudly taking up row AA last night. =) Great meeting you wonderful Aussie and New Zealand fans for dinner yesterday and great seeing a couple of my USA BEeps as well!

Sean

p.s. Happy Birthday Billy Whiz!!!

"Good writers define reality; bad ones merely restate it." -Edward Albee
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Thanks Sean.
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
BillyAddict
Tall Boy

Post by BillyAddict »

A busy day today so will review Michaels 2nd last show later but with so many in the front row supporting him Michael did not dissapoint. A wonderful emotional show. As a special treat Michael did the teary sobbing ending to Electricity which bough tears flowing from Greg as well. A large standing ovation for Electricity that was so thoroughly deserved.
167 Performances!

Lochie x 21.5; Nick x 11; Corey x 1; Rhys x 19; Rarmian x 17.75; Dayton x 24.75; Josh W-G x 18; Michael x 19; Josh D x 12; Daniel x 3; Tom x 1; Ollie G x 1; Fox x 1, Liam R x 2, Alex x 5, Cesar x 2, Tommy x 1, John Peter x 1, Peter x 4, Jacob x 2.
Scott x 30; Thomas x 28.25; Joel x 31; Landen x 33.75; Liam x 14; Jake x 1; Connor x 1; George x 1, Trevor x 4, Jake Evan x 3, Gabriel x 8, Keean x 2, Neil x 11.
Fiona x 18; Rosie x 25; Shannon x 23; Kelsi x 23; Prudence x 2; Lauren x 10; Cassandra x 15; Nina x 9; Isabelle x 12; Fleur x 2; Francesca x 1, Issy x 7, Maria x 4, Georgi x 17.
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

Thur. Sept. 2nd (slightly updated since the first posting)

Billy - Michael (his next to last Broadway show),
Michael - Neil,
Small Boy - Seth,

+ understudys: Older Billy/Scottish Dancer - Michaeljon Slinger, Scab/Posh Dad - David Koch, Lesley - Natalie Wisdom.

Prior to the show we gathered at John's Pizzeria, just around the corner from the Imperial. Thanks to Angelenroute for setting this up and suggesting the location (rumored to be one of Trent's favorite places). Our group of eight included forum members from Australia, New Zealand, and the USA, plus Michael's parents. It was such a pleasure to meet people from so far away, to compare similarities and differences in our cultures, and to share our common appreciation of BETM.

As many forum members already know, having a good number of strong Billy fans plus family members in the audience will increase the odds of it being a memorable performance. That would prove to be the case here. :)

Breakfast -
Even after 20+ shows one can still find new things to notice. Here are two examples. The first is Dad's "frying pan switch". When Dad takes the lid off the frying pan to let the smoke out, he then puts the lid back on that pan and grabs the pan right next to it, which is the one that has the burnt egg. It is like a magician's trick, in that you are fooled by the juggling of pans the first time but eventually catch on.

The second is while Big Davey is pouring salt on the sandwich I happened to notice Michael up in the bedroom. He pulled a plate from under the bed with Grandma's moldy pasty, smelled it, and winced. This is certainly consistent with the dialog of the pasty scene, but with all eyes usually on Big Davey at this moment, it's surprising the bothered to add this touch. I am glad they did though.

Grandma's song -
Carole's facial expressions are something to watch, especially in the later part of the song. She shows the pain of Grandma's memory of her abusive marriage, then evoloves to the delight of her fantasy of a life without men where she can do as she pleases. Michael was very attentive and engaged throughout the number and laughed pretty hard when Carole gives the finger. The intensity of Michael's acting is present throughout the show, even when he is not the center of attention.

Solidarity -
This is the first we really get to see what Michael can do as dancer. I had not seen him in 4 1/2 months. During that time his ballet skills have grown quite a bit. The show really came alive at this point. Until now the audience seemed pretty dead but they really showed their appreciation for the great finish of this number.

The "aren't you a bit old Miss?" line got especially big laughs.

Express -
Another amazing job by Neil! It is still hard to believe he has only been doing this a few weeks, as he appears to be a seasoned pro. There was a tiny mishap early in the song when Neil put the bag on Michael's head. Something didn't work with fastening the strap so they left it loose. Keep in mind that both of their heads bob quite a bit during this part. After a couple seconds it started to slip off Michael's head, so he just tossed it back near the dressing table. I'm sure most of the audience would have thought this was all quite normal. Nice job by the boys in handling this without missing a beat.

Letter -
Lots of emotion and tears. For the second night in a row there was applause at the end of the song. :)

B2B -
Big applause for Thommie's break dancing. All of the rope skipping went perfectly. Applause for the rope skipping. The audience is really alive now! Michael finished with a nice flip off the piano, which is normal for him but rare otherwise these days.

Angry Dance -
I've run out of ways to describe this, as all of the boys do such an amazing job. I do think Michael screams far more than most when he does this number. The audience was stunned at the intensity of it all, as the house lights came up for intermission.

Tutu scene -
The audience really loved Neil tonight.

Dream Ballet -
This has to be one of the best I have seen in a long time. As mentioned earlier Michael's ballet form was brilliant.

Electricity -
Michael sang this with everything he had to give, at one point singing directly to his parents who were sitting near the conductor. His dancing included some huge ballet leaps and two no hand flips.

At the end was a big standing ovation by more than half of the audience. Now tonight the front row was packed with several forum members and Michael's parents, so in a way the deck was stacked with appreciative fans. However I sat further back (row H) and can definitely attest there was no need for the front row to take the lead in standing. People throughout the house rose all at once! Where most Billys will show off a smile during this applause, Michael instead broke into tears, tears of joy. Later I heard that he sometimes did this in Melbourne. It certainly moved me.

Finale -
During the company celebration Michael was smiling and intense in his interactions with the rest of the cast. On the final bow, after the curtain rose to show the Billy letters, Michael did a series of no-hands forward somersaults to get himself downstage. Just a final chance to wow us!

At the stage door Thommie and Greg spent some time chatting with those of us who were hanging out. Thommie shook our hands and thanked us for being such a great audience tonight.

BillyAddict and I spoke with Kate as she was leaving, and complimented her on the blogs she writes. She seemed rather surprised that we made the effort, as if they were no big deal. We thanked her again for writing them.

I wrote most of this in the airport waiting for my flight home from NYC, secretly hoping the approaching hurricane will somehow force me to stay longer. Such was not the case, so I will miss seeing Michael's final show. Still I leave knowing I've had the privilege of seeing him three times this year. I also leave with memories of the great folks I met from Australia and New Zealand, along with the ones from America who I had another chance to hang out with. To BillyAddict, KiwiT, and Sonicrockz I hope our paths will cross again one day.
-Chris
:/
Todd
Dad

Post by Todd »

Excellent review Chris ! I thoroughly enjoyed reading every bit of it. Interesting how Michael gets emotional at the end of "Electricity," as opposed to breaking out into a big smile like almost every other Billy does. I'd noticed that when I saw him in July, although he didn't actually break into tears, but looked like he was about to. I think it's pretty obvious how much the show means to him, and how he's aware that the audience appreciates all he puts in to his performance - as well as all the years of work it took him to get to this point.

One of the main reasons I traveled to New York in July was in hopes of seeing Michael perform again. Afterwards, I was glad I'd made the effort to see him a second time. I wasn't planning on traveling to one of the cities on the second national tour to specifically see him a third time before he leaves the show altogether, but I think now that I have to do it. Someone of his talents doesn't come around very often.
Hesychius
Tall Boy

Post by Hesychius »

Michael Dameski's last Broadway show on Sunday night was absolutely outstanding! So much energy, so many emotions, phenomenal dancing... BETM can't get any better - in my opinion.

Angry dance was by far the most intense I have ever seen, followed by a standing ovation :!:.
Swan Lake was pure bliss, absolutely beautiful, graceful and a joy to watch.
Electricity - I don't know what to say, just perfect. The audience responded with a very long and rapturous standing ovation.

Writing this, I have been thinking about what makes Michael's performances so special to me. It is not his stunning Angry dance or his spectacular Electricity or any other detail of his performance. It is his ability to get into contact with the audience and to control it. Michael is able to evoke emotions in a very intense way. And that is what theatre is all about.

Thanks to BillyAddict for introducing me to Michael's parents and other fans; it was especially nice to meet you all!!!

It was a really memorable last night for me and I feel truly privileged that I had the chance to see Michael's last Broadway show! I am determined, though, to see Michael again and I will surely not miss his last performance as Billy - whenever and wherever this might be!

Stefan.
London: Fox - 6; Tom - 4.5; Dean - 10; Ollie - 7.5; Rhys - 7; Aaron - 3; Scott - 1
New York: Jacob - 3; Dayton - 1; Michael - 2; Liam - 1; Peter - 1; Alex - 1
Charlotte: Daniel - 1; Michael - 1

50 inspiring shows
BillyAddict
Tall Boy

Post by BillyAddict »

A brief review of six Shows - 2nd to 5th September

Thursday 2nd September
Billy - Michael
Michael - Neil

I had a real buzz about this show before it even started. The front row was packed with fans and family. Michael did not disappoint!

It was a consummate MD performance for Michael's second last NY show though nothing compared to the quality of the performance Michael was to exhibit in his last show!!!! Never the less it was a wonderful emotional show. As a special treat Michael did the teary sobbing ending to Electricity which bough tears flowing from Greg as well. A large standing ovation for Electricity that was so thoroughly deserved.

Friday 3rd September
Billy - Dayton
Michael - Gabe

The worlds longest serving Billy and it shows. Dayton's performance was top self. I was fortunate to have a seat immediately behind the music director, so I was close and personal to Dayton's performance. HE is immensely strong in all aspect's of his performance these days. The tears flowed in the Letter and his Angry Dance as always is a stand out! Gabe is an over the top Michael and this style suits both Dayton and Michael.

Saturday 4th September - Matinee
Billy - Jacob
Michael - Neil

My missing NY Billy appears after a weeks break. Have now seen Liam, Michael, Dayton, Alex, Peter and now Jacob.

My overall impression of Jacob's Billy is that here we have a young man who is a very good actor who has honed his dance skills to give a great performance. This is different to most boys who are chosen on their dance skills and often taught to act and sing. Thoroughly enjoyed Jacob's performance and yes the tears really flow in his Letter scenes. They received just applause.

Saturday 4th September - Evening
Billy - Peter
Michael - Gabe

I only purchased a ticket to this show an hour before curtain. I am getting hooked on Peter's billy and it is hurting my credit card :) Will send him the bill !!!! :twisted:

Peter is giving no hits that he has performed the role for such a short period of time. People around me could not believe it when I informed them. Really all Peter has to do is work on a few minor timing issues and his Billy will be right up there in time.

Sunday 5th September - Matinee
Billy - Alex
Michael - Neil

A very smooth performance from Alex well complimented by Neil.

Tommy's youngest daughter was an enthusiastic observer from the front row. She seemed to thoroughly enjoy the show.

Tall Boy lost his shoe going up the steps to the boxing scene but did a lovely recovery move before dressing and came over to the steps and picked up the errant shoe!

Sunday 5th September - Evening
Billy - Michael (Last NY Show)
Michael - Gabe
Small Boy - Seth

An action packed cast above, set the scene for one of the greatest BETM performances ever!

Michael was stellar tonight. Words can't adequately describe his parting gift to NY but I will try!

The audience had a real buzz from early on and Michael and Gabe only increased that with a super charged Expressing Yourself.

The greatest Angry Dance I have ever seen ended act one on a maga high. I have never in over 160 shows experienced a standing ovation for an Angry Dance but it occurred tonight. Stunning breathtaking and unbelievable!!!!

A beautiful Dream Ballet which received thunderous applause was followed soon after by one of the longest if not the longest standing ovation I have ever experienced for Electricity. Michael as he did on Thursday produced the teary ending and Greg reciprocated. Oh what an effect this acting produces and it takes the ending of Electricity into territory I have never seen other Billy's go!

One of the truly great performances of BETM ever and a most fitting way for Michael to leave his stamp on Broadway!

Thank you so much Michael for throwing everything in your extensive arsenal into tonights performance. I was blessed to be there to see it!
167 Performances!

Lochie x 21.5; Nick x 11; Corey x 1; Rhys x 19; Rarmian x 17.75; Dayton x 24.75; Josh W-G x 18; Michael x 19; Josh D x 12; Daniel x 3; Tom x 1; Ollie G x 1; Fox x 1, Liam R x 2, Alex x 5, Cesar x 2, Tommy x 1, John Peter x 1, Peter x 4, Jacob x 2.
Scott x 30; Thomas x 28.25; Joel x 31; Landen x 33.75; Liam x 14; Jake x 1; Connor x 1; George x 1, Trevor x 4, Jake Evan x 3, Gabriel x 8, Keean x 2, Neil x 11.
Fiona x 18; Rosie x 25; Shannon x 23; Kelsi x 23; Prudence x 2; Lauren x 10; Cassandra x 15; Nina x 9; Isabelle x 12; Fleur x 2; Francesca x 1, Issy x 7, Maria x 4, Georgi x 17.

Return to “Reviews - Broadway”