October 2010 Reviews - NYC

Billy Fanatic
Small Boy

Saturday Matinee, October 23, 2010

Post by Billy Fanatic »

Saturday Matinee, October 23, 2010 (performance 3 of my 5 performance Billython)
Imperial Theatre, NYC, Orchestra right, row B, seat 10
Peter as Billy; Neil as Michael; Alex Dreier as Small Boy
Ben as Tall Boy/Posh Boy; Georgi as Debbie

Adult cast substitutions: Michaeljon Slinger as Older Billy/Scottish Dancer

Prior to the start of the show sitting in my close to the stage seat in row B I'm convinced that things can't get any better than at the two previous performances of My Billython or that here's any new insights about this show to be discovered. I was wrong. Having the production hit us with the double whammy of the up to then unknown to me quantities of Peter Mazurowski as Billy and the absolutely adorable and engaging Alex Dreier as Small Boy coupled with the already known to me quantities of Neil McCaffrey's exhilaratingly exuberant Michael and Ben Cook's standout Tall Boy/Posh Boy saw to that. In very short order.

As the show progressed further and further, I was more and more impressed at the seemingly effortless way that Peter manages to fuse and weave all the elements and demands of the role into a seamless whole. I very clearly remember half way through the first act thinking that the word "smooth" most aptly described Peter's performance. Others have described his movements on stage as precise and measured; and I think that's part of his (to me) smoothness in the role. But there's more to it than that. All the boys playing the part are Billy and not themselves when on stage. But somehow, I don't know how, at this performance Peter goes beyond that to become the very personification and embodiment of Billy, He IS Billy, in the flesh incarnate, body, soul, and heart; it's as if Peter has taken over Billy's body, or Billy his. I don't know if what I'm saying makes any sense to anyone else; I'm simply at a loss of words (unusual for me) to put it any other way. Peter, the slightest and thinnest ("tiny" as Kate Hennig put it) of the Broadway Billys is truly astounding me; as Billy in particular and as a performer in general. The result is that I'm enjoying this, my third performance even more than my first two; something that I would never had dreamt to be possible.

During Peter's rendition of Billy's "Take Me Up" solo portion of "The Stars Look Down" I gain some new insights into Billy and his complex conflicted feelings. That's a tribute to how well written, produced and directed this marvelous show is with its multilayered complexities; even with multiple viewings there's something new and fresh to discover. To me, "Take Me Up" expresses Billy's desire, really a plea for help, for someone or something to take him up out of the bleakness that has become his life and the dire straits that has befallen his family and community. At the same time, we're seeing in Billy the eternal hope and belief common to young children that no matter how bad things are now that sometime in the future they will be better; that they (and the others in their lives) will emerge from the darkness into the sunshine. Seeing it for the third time, as done by Peter, Billy's tentative dancing during "Take Me Up" is for the first time conveying to me that while still unbeknownst to Billy himself he has the soul of a dancer, deeply infused within his core. Another realization also hits me; that part of the reason for Small Boy initiating Billy's dance steps is that he senses this essence within Billy and connects with it, since as I've mentioned in a previous review Small Boy might also have that dancer's soul waiting to be nourished.

Alex Dreier, like Seth Fromowitz the previous two nights, is cute, adorable, and lovable as Small Boy; his million dollar smile would melt even the most hardened of hearts. Like Seth, Alex plays both the funny and the tender moments with perfection well beyond what one would reasonably expect from any seven year old; and certainly not of one performing in front of an audience of 1500 people. Both nail it to a tee, in slightly different ways that allow each to impart their own stamp upon the role. Those two tiny dynamos each clearly have much fun when it’s his turn to play Small Boy on stage; I can only imagine the shenanigans when those two (or now Alex and Seth's replacement Zachary) get together backstage.

In my previous reviews, I commented on the excellent Neil as Michael and superb Ben Cook as Tall Boy/Posh Boy; there's no need to repeat myself here. And as with the other performances, Georgi as Debbie, the ballet girls, and the adult cast were outstanding.

All in all, another fine performance of Billy Elliot that is as fresh and entertaining as the first two of my Billython, and in some ways even more so.

Originally, these three performances were all I'd planned for my Billython; but as I mentioned in earlier posts, I did also attend both Sunday performances, including Joseph's debut on Broadway. I'll post my reviews of these as time permits in the next week or so.
Billy Fanatic
"Normal not to be normal"

BROADWAY - 19:
Billy: Alex K. x3, Giuseppe x1, Jacob x2, Joseph x5, Julian x2, Myles x1, Peter x4, Tade x1
Michael: Cameron x7, Jack x5, Jake S. x2, Neil x5
Debbie: Georgi x5, Lilla x14
Small Boy: Alex D. x10, Seth x3, Zachary x6
Tall Boy/Posh Boy: Ben x12, Giuseppe x1, Joseph x2, Julian x2, Myles x1, Tade x1

TOUR - 3
RICHMOND, VA:

Billy: Ben x1, Drew x1, Noah x1
Michael: Jake K. x1, Sam x2
Debbie: Samantha x3
Small Boy: Cal x3
Tall Boy/Posh Boy: Jake K. x2, Sam x1
angelenroute
Billy

Re: October 2010 Reviews - New York

Post by angelenroute »

review begun October 2010 and completed January 2011 =)

Friday, October 8, 2010
2nd Billy Elliot Adult Workshop

Before I tell you how it went, let me just describe what exactly this was. As you may or may not know, Thommie Retter plays Mr. Braithwaite in the Broadway production. He’s a master dance teacher by trade who was discovered by Lee Proud at the Debbie Reynolds Dance Studio in Los Angeles. Ever since the Broadway production opened, Thommie has been incredibly generous with his time with the fans. At First Preview, when I went to dinner at The Edison Café near The Imperial Theatre to first meet fans from England and America, Thommie was there. And he has always been there for us, welcoming us at the stage door after the show, giving backstage tours when he’s able, having meals with us and always being such an awesome ambassador to the fans for the production. As Harry Potter once said to Hagrid, “It wouldn’t be Hogwarts without you, Hagrid,” and it wouldn’t be the same without Thommie Retter either.

As a dance teacher, Thommie has offered many classes for kids learning and honing their dance skills right here in New York City when he’s not rehearsing for the show. Superfan Linda Tam approached him and asked him if he could do a dance workshop for the adult fans of Billy Elliot. And with that, a new level of awesome was born. Our first dance class was in June, and you can read more about it in my review titled Part 2 of 4, posted in the Forums’ June 2010 Reviews/Reflections section. This was our second class. The basic premise was: Learn a song and dance number from the show, sit and watch the participating stars wow us with their talents, then graduate diploma style with photos, autographs and lots of thank-yous.

So on Friday, October 8th we had our second workshop. Participation in the previous workshop wasn’t required at all, nor was there any need to know how to sing or dance. We were told to wear comfortable clothing and just prepare to have a great time. Once the time came to be led upstairs, we walked in to find Thommie Retter, Tessa Netting, Kiril Kulish and David Alvarez all waiting for us. It felt like we were reporters being allowed into the Yankees dugout with the players! [By the way, I’m actually a Mets fan, but decided using them as an analogy would just be wrong.] And another special surprise guest was also promised to join them. Of course when you’re already in a small dance hall with Thommie Retter, Tessa Netting, Kiril Kulish and David Alvarez, you’re already overwhelmed by the talent surrounding you.

As David, Kiril and Tessa chatted and caught up, the workshop participants checked in with Linda and Thommie, received a goodie bag and began preparing for the dance class. Some stretched, knowing which muscles they needed to bend and prepare, others stretched not knowing how to but pretending they did, and others just watched people stretch, later wishing they had too. Anticipation mixed with awkward standing around was rampant. Some of us awkwardly anticipatory, while others just anticipatorily awkward. But 100% of us were looking forward to having lots of fun with Master Dance Teacher Extraordinaire Thommie Retter.

Included in our goodie bag was a copy of the letter that Billy receives telling him he’s been accepted into The Royal Ballet School. I use the word copy, but these letters were actually used on stage in the show! Wow! Although one funny anachronism to point out: On this letter supposedly from England circa 1984-1985, there is a Website address. Don’t think it would have worked back then though. Thanks to Billy Whiz for pointing that out to me by the way! It was also riddled with errors--the prop department did a great job, but they also left us something fun to talk about!

Also inside the bag was a small sheet of paper. And on that sheet of paper there were lyrics from the Billy Elliot finale. And one of the lyrics said “different tits.” What? You don’t remember that part of the song? Well it’s there in the show if you listen closely. Okay, so the written words are slightly different, but I’ll explain. Each of the “kids” (a term I use loosely since their dance and showbiz experience has matured them greatly) took turns teaching us how to pronounce the words of the finale, Tessa, David and Kiril each doing a little bit. And who had the best accent of all of them? Well if you guessed the one whose third language is English after Spanish and French, you’d be right. David Alvarez does a mean Geordie accent-- Très Magnifique! :D

But Tessa quickly stepped into the spotlight to remind us that one of the lyrics is actually a little more scandalous than previously thought. You see, when it comes down to it, everyone has different tits after all. Figured it out yet? Well for those not at either workshop, Tessa explained that when they were taught the line, “Everyone is different, it’s a natural state” it’s best sung without that comma after “different”. So “baaaaasically”, as Mr. Braithwaite would say, “it all came down to” inflection. In fact, there’s one too many letter t’s too. According to our expert teacher Miss Tessa, the line should be sung, “Everyone is diff’ren tits a natural state…” And there you have it.

At some point toward the beginning of the workshop, our special surprise guest arrived. Of course when you’re in the midst of the stars already in attendance, you’re not watching the door waiting to see who will come in. In fact, I’m probably one of many who had already forgotten there would be a special guest. But then in he walked. No. In THEY walked. We turned and saw walking into our already star-packed room the one and only Alex Ko and the one and only Greg Jbara! Wow!

No, really, WOW!!! :D

Alex was only there for a minute or two as he was in the building and Greg asked him to join him for the surprise. Plus Alex was Peter Mazurowski’s backup that night for the show, so he had to get back to the theatre. More on that in my NEXT review though! Greg stayed and cheered us on throughout. What a guy! At one point Thommie asked him what he thought of us. With all eyes quickly darting to Greg, he switched right into “Dad” mode and said, “Well I wouldn’t exactly say I was an expert…” It was hilarious! :lol:

The singing, it should be made clear, we could all do. But uh, this was a dance class. I’ll tell you what though. Mr. Thommie doesn’t teach dance for nothin’. You know what I’m sayin’? This guy knows how to move with music and he knows how to teach others how to move with music! And it’s a great testament to his skills as a teacher and dancer that if you watched us dance by the end of the class, you’d have thought we’d been learning this number for hours. Nope. 45 minutes. And though none of our moves had Kiril and David whispering about how they wished their teachers at The School of American Ballet and ABT were there to witness how incredible we were, we did show enormous achievement by the end of the class. Much of my own personal success came from a gem of wisdom Thommie shared which I’m going to tell you now. When you don’t know a move, don’t fake it by going big with something else. Fake it by going small. Stay undetectable so the eyes of the audience see the move as it should be done and don’t notice your own mishaps!

After the class portion was over, we were treated to some performances. And let me make this clear: This wasn’t like being treated to a free slice of waitress-delivered cheesecake on your birthday. This was the kind of treated where you’re surprised with a free 7-course dinner at a fancy steakhouse. So what were these treats? An audience-created soundtrack Thommie danced to before exploding past our beat and finishing quick tempo, a piano piece by David played so forte it seemed to break the pianoforte, a song belted out like no other can by Tessa, and a balletic dance by Kiril you’d try to say wow to if your jaw wasn’t stretched open in an “OMG” gasp. As Billy Whiz would and probably did say, it was really “fantastic stuff”! :-D

Shortly after the performances, as time was running tight, Greg had to leave and get back to the theatre for a pre-show haircut. But all throughout the workshop, he was cheering us on and smiling wildly. We were some of his biggest fans and he was returning the favor. Although I imagine on days like that, the talent must realize just how much more talented they are than the average audience member! Thommie with the assistance of David and Kiril handed out our diplomas congratulating us for completing the intensive workshop. A few group shot pictures later and we were finished and rushing to get out of the room before our allotted time was up.

In closing, many thanks to Thommie Retter for organizing the class and booking the space, and Linda Tam for organizing the fans who attended and coordinating payments! Not easy jobs, especially when you already work 4-5 jobs! Both of them did A LOT of promotion for the workshop too which paid off immensely. Not only was the class a wonderful, memorable, treasured life experience, it also paid off by becoming a fundraiser for Broadway Cares Equity Fights Aids! And thanks to generous donations by cast members and fans, it raised over $1,800 for the cause!!!

Some more thank-yous: Thank you Uncle Dave for the treats and commemorative magnets! Thank you Suzanne for the Christmas cards! Thank you Geri for the delicious cookies! Thank you to videographer Billy Whiz who posted videos on YouTube of the performances! Thank you also to HugsY2k and Billy Whiz for many of the pictures taken and disseminated on the Forums and Facebook! Thank you to Alex Ko for stopping by and making us smile just to see you! And thank you to Greg Jbara for being a superfan for the Billy Elliot Superfans. =) And most of all, thank you to Thommie, Tessa, David and Kiril for your time and incredible talents. You have each made it to Broadway not by fluke but by cause. You are each and every one an immensely gifted human being and it was an absolute gift being able to share that time and space with you!

With deepest, eternal gratitude,
Sean

Sean Patrick Brennan/angelenroute

"Good writers define reality; bad ones merely restate it." -Edward Albee
Rich B
Technical Advisor
Technical Advisor

Post by Rich B »

Thanks, Sean - great read! :D

Rich

(I need to get myself to one of these. 8-) )
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

Wow thanks for sharing the experience with us Sean! This was well worth the 3 month wait. :D --Chris
:/
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Fantastic stuff Sean. I love reading your reviews.

It really was a treat to be there and witness everything.

For those who have not seen the youtube videos that I took at the workshop here they are again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppwlViw6R9k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBP8VSfT7Gw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86gxFcGXHwc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7-dygMn9Zs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2BQsHTnzbc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02S5qZIxOT8
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

Billy Whiz wrote:Fantastic stuff Sean.
hehe thanks...and had to make an update as over $1,800 was raised, not just $800, amazing generosity displayed by so many!!!

sean

angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

Billy Whiz wrote:Fantastic stuff Sean. I love reading your reviews.

It really was a treat to be there and witness everything.

For those who have not seen the youtube videos that I took at the workshop here they are again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppwlViw6R9k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBP8VSfT7Gw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86gxFcGXHwc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7-dygMn9Zs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2BQsHTnzbc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02S5qZIxOT8
Edited my review AGAIN (and will fully expect to more times at this point lol) because the above videos are the ones I was referring to and I have now correctly credited Billy Whiz for them. Sorry BW!!! And thank you so much for re-sharing them here!!!

Sean

Musical Fanatic
Ballet Girl

Post by Musical Fanatic »

angelenroute wrote:[

Edited my review AGAIN (and will fully expect to more times at this point lol) because the above videos are the ones I was referring to and I have now correctly credited Billy Whiz for them. Sorry BW!!! And thank you so much for re-sharing them here!!!

Sean
Its the hazard of writing long reviews Sean :D I am still glad you did :D. Thank you

Sam
Bre*st Cancer awareness. My
Mom is now a ! year survivor
Moby-Dick
Tall Boy

Post by Moby-Dick »

Sean! Absolutely incredible review! Getting to read through it was almost - though, I stress the almost - as good as being in the class. Sounds like a marvelous experience, and I'm so happy that you took the time to share it with everyone - and with so much detail, too. :shock:

Thanks again for taking the time to write such a splendid review!

x
M-D
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

Friday, October 8, 2010

Billy: Peter Mazurowski AND Alex Ko
Michael: Neil McCaffrey

Thanks to some good notes, I have written this review today, on February 11, 2011, about the show performed the evening of Friday, October 8, 2010. It’s a short review, as I have other reviews to write still, but one I wanted to log in for posterity and also because a lot of Forum members were there on this night.

This was the first time I’ve ever sat on the right side Orchestra, usually deferring to a left Orchestra seat, especially on last nights. It was like seeing the show for the first time all over again! If you tend to always sit in the same part of the theatre, I highly recommend moving around now and then. I’ve seen the show from every angle in Orchestra, from Front and Rear Mezz and each and every time I’ve learned things about the show and the theatre and the audience. I mean, don’t purposely choose Rear Mezz if you can do better, but don’t knock it either, especially if bringing people to see the show. One caveat: If you’re willing to buy tickets for people, calculate that amount into an alternate offer. Tell the person they can either have a back of theatre seat for free or they could have a great seat for $50 off (that you pay). Encourage the latter. =)

As usual I’m filling up review space with other stuff, sorry!

When Debbie (then Georgi James) is talking to Billy in the bathroom scene, her crackers spilled out all over the stage (when she bends over to look under the stall door). The 4-5 of us in the front two rows of far right Orchestra went into a fit of giggles at this. Not of course in a laughing-at kind of a way, but more nervous laughter combined with a “poor Georgi” sentiment. It’s also surprising this doesn’t happen more often to girls in that role! If you disagree, I want you to do this: Stand in front of thousands of people watching your every move, hold a small bag of crackers in your hand, get down on your hands and knees, tilt your head in and up, and not ever spill anything. =) So anyway, Peter Mazurowski may have been on to the issue, not sure, but he didn’t rush out of the stall. And Georgi did a VERY, VERY, VERY good job of picking up all the pieces (there was a lot) all while stretching her lines as much as possible and not getting flustered AT ALL!!! Go Georgi!!!

In fact once Peter did come out and Georgi had asked if he wanted to see her hoo hoo, Peter gave an hysterical reaction between facial expressions and words. Always a funny bit, it can sometimes be hard to land “perfectly”, but on this day we witnessed Peter doing exactly that!

Unfortunately, we wouldn’t get to see as much of Peter that day as we thought we would because after Intermission, George (Joel Hatch) arrived on stage as the 4 boys came up from the audience and announced, “Ladies and gentlemen,” --uh-oh, something’s different here, I hope everything’s okay-- “Peter Mazurowski has got a bit of a bug, and will be unable to continue today. [paraphrasing this] But the brilliant Alex Ko will be taking his place in the Second Act.” It was only then, even though I was looking right at them all, that I saw Alex Ko was standing there. Wow. Now this was a first for me, seeing 2 Billys in a tag-team performance, and what made it even more unique was that we had just seen Alex in person at our Thommie Retter dance workshop!!! He was a surprise special guest that Greg Jbara--the actual surprise guest--had brought in to say hi to everyone. So it was a cool realization knowing that we had “hung out” with him before the show. Okay, so he was only there for a couple of minutes, but he was now the star of our show, so it was cool. =)

It’s also fun to report that when Joel said the words “Alex Ko” and we looked over at Alex, he gave a very sweet, grateful smile to Joel. You all know the smile I mean. =)

There must have been in the audience at this point, polite and friendly applause though they gave, a bit of a concern. We’d already had an awesome first act from Peter--could this show actually have two brilliant Billys? As we all know, they have 4-5 brilliant Billys all the time, and the audience soon learned exactly that!!!

And now, mentioned enough times before but always worth doing so again, but in shorthand this time: Alex wears wraps on his knees for safety, audience at first thinks they won’t see anything too good because of it, audience wowed into apologetic admission of guilt for ever thinking anything less than “Extraordinary! Wow! So good!” about Alex (slight literary euphemisms there but you get the point). But yes, the wraps are a protection from injury and not evidence of injury, and they become invisible quickly as Alex's brilliance shines!

After the show, a rare treat: Both Alex AND Peter were at stage door with fans, signing autographs and thanking them for coming. Peter did not make an exit out of stage door like Alex, but was there with his mom and other friends. We also got the rarest of treats: a group shot with both Alex AND Peter, both our Billys! Usually when a Billy is injured or sick and needs to cut his show short, we never see them again that day. So having a group shot with Thommie, who led us in dance before the show, Alex, who joined us at the dance class before the show and then danced his heart out in Act 2, and Peter, who also danced his heart out in Act 1 but who felt ill but then was feeling better after the show, all in a group shot and this sentence just never ends, does it, was really nice and a very special moment ending a very special day!

Okay, done. See, told you that would be….......................................................short? :D

Sean

Return to “Reviews - Broadway”