December 2010 Reviews - NYC

angelenroute
Billy

Re: December 2010 Reviews - NYC

Post by angelenroute »

Todd wrote:We can agree to disagree on the language issue, but I imagine we agree on the fact that the show is supposed to reflect life in a hardscrabble British mining town, which explains the colorful language. Given the producers' wish for authenticity, I must say I'm a little surprised that they were willing to soften the swearing. I guess there's a fine balance between staying true to their original vision and making sure the show sells tickets !
Agreed! Respectfully disagree on how important the power of language is in this show, because I think it's allowing puritan beliefs to trump art, but certainly understand your views on language being a bit too over-prevalent at times in society and why it's not always about freedoms. As an English major and Theology major, I move in a fun dance on this one. =) But at the end of the day, language is watered down when it's misused, and the curses I enjoy have less effect when they're thrown about as often as "the" and "it". I "believe" that Billy Elliot The Musical uses language perfectly, sewing words into its fabric in exactly the right places to accurately depict the time and characters. So I guess we agree and disagree at the same time on some of this. And that's cool. Thanks Todd. =)

Sean

"Good writers define reality; bad ones merely restate it." -Edward Albee
Todd
Dad

Post by Todd »

Fair enough ! Thanks for your follow-up comments.
Brad
George

Post by Brad »

angelenroute wrote:
Todd wrote:We can agree to disagree on the language issue, but I imagine we agree on the fact that the show is supposed to reflect life in a hardscrabble British mining town, which explains the colorful language. Given the producers' wish for authenticity, I must say I'm a little surprised that they were willing to soften the swearing. I guess there's a fine balance between staying true to their original vision and making sure the show sells tickets !
Agreed! Respectfully disagree on how important the power of language is in this show, because I think it's allowing puritan beliefs to trump art, but certainly understand your views on language being a bit too over-prevalent at times in society and why it's not always about freedoms. As an English major and Theology major, I move in a fun dance on this one. =) But at the end of the day, language is watered down when it's misused, and the curses I enjoy have less effect when they're thrown about as often as "the" and "it". I "believe" that Billy Elliot The Musical uses language perfectly, sewing words into its fabric in exactly the right places to accurately depict the time and characters. So I guess we agree and disagree at the same time on some of this. And that's cool. Thanks Todd. =)

Sean
Sorry guys fur buting in on this one but I have to say that IMHO the language is perfectly placed and timed except whenthe police sing with such furvor what they did to the miners wives while they were away protesting. Anyone who cringes at youth swearing on stage should open the ears in the real world. I'm not syaing it is right but it happens, I believe tha is Austalia, the UK and USA, swearing is fairly common and it certainly is typical of a miner and their community - especially in the 80's
Cheers

Brad
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

This is an interesting discussion and I'm enjoying reading all the comments.

I know it's a while since you saw the show Brad (roll on April) but it was the miners that shouted at the policemen what they had done to their wives not the other way round ;)
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
Brad
George

Post by Brad »

Billy Whiz wrote:This is an interesting discussion and I'm enjoying reading all the comments.

I know it's a while since you saw the show Brad (roll on April) but it was the miners that shouted at the policemen what they had done to their wives not the other way round ;)
Are you sure about that BW?
Cheers

Brad
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Brad wrote:
Billy Whiz wrote:This is an interesting discussion and I'm enjoying reading all the comments.

Are you sure about that BW?
Yes.

The policemen flash pound notes to the miners and say this was just from the overtime. The miners then stand on chairs and say "When you were on the picket line we went and blah, blah, blah"
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
cws8998
Ballet Girl

Post by cws8998 »

Precisely, Todd. I can only make reference to an interview with Jamie Bell which I read somewhere and some time ago in which he states, paraphrasing, that he found the language quite appropriate and that without it, it would unnaturally change the "authenticity" of the complex issues of that time and of his family. He had to be in pretty close touch with Stephen Daldry throughout the making of the musical given I understand Daldry had adopted Jamie during the making of their award winning film Billy Elliot in 2000.
I agree that the Chicago audiences did seem somewhat fickle. I saw the show over 20 times there and often heard talk of the course language, and often there talk was not complementary. I also read hundreds of Ticketmaster reviews wherein you could get that same impression. . Any way, I agree wholeheartedly with Jamie Bell. Really feel he is right on target regarding the show. Just thought I throw in my two cents worth.
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

The following will be a mediocre review of a beautiful night of theatre. The emotions and the emotional memories are still very much with me, but details of the show itself are sketchy. For that, I offer my sincere apologies.

Sunday, December 12, 2010 (evening show)
Dayton Tavares's last show in the role of Billy Elliot

It was, as it always is, a big moment when Stephen Daldry climbed the stage. This time he received a smattering of applause before even saying who he was. I’ve long felt that he deserves a standing ovation every time he takes the stage, but at the same time, there’s something different about this show, this community. If Lee Hall is the Creator, the mysterious one we don’t talk about enough, and Elton John is the musical muse who came in and provided brilliance of ideas and sound, Mr. Daldry is the father figure, the one who runs the show, and we look up to him with respect and admiration for his control and power, and his obvious intelligent design.

As usual, he gave a stirring speech. Dayton has been with us since Australia… Dayton is an amazing talent we’ve been lucky to have with us this long… My memories are crap, sorry. But it was of course a beautiful testament to Dayton’s time and talents as Billy. Since I can’t give you the speech itself here, I’ll paint you a *probable* picture of backstage during these special minutes while Stephen spoke. Actors are all in place, told Stephen would be saying something first. All actors on stage left/house right are in place, Greg and Dayton standing near each other for their eventual entrance. Stephen saying really wonderful things about Dayton, who must be smiling and touched, though has to keep emotions in check for the start of the show. Smiles from other cast mates sent his way. Must be an amazing moment in theatre to be talked about so beautifully before you go on in the role, knowing someone like Stephen Daldry is praising you to over 1,400 fans, your family from Australia and your closest friends and colleagues. Lots of cheers and applause from the audience at several times throughout his speech, and the blood was officially pumping on stage and all throughout the theatre.

I can’t tell you much about the show itself except that it was brilliant, and as is too often the case recently on Broadway, you feel like the Billy could easily carry on for a while longer. Liam Redhead was still in his prime of Billy months, Michael Dameski (on tour) was still amazing and fantastic, possible future leavers could easily go on longer too, and Dayton as well. It is a necessary graduation though of course, as these incredibly talented young men should be let free to continue their education both on and off stage before their next great incarnation before an audience.

At Intermission, I was let in on a GREAT realization that others had made but I had not yet, one which would DOUBLE my enjoyment of the second half of the show. No, it was not something even more special on stage, but rather an extra, extra, extra, extra special treat OFF stage. In the audience with us were ALL FOUR of the other Billys!!! Alex, Joseph and Peter were in the box seats on house left and I saw Jacob in the crowd on Orchestra floor at Intermission, so he was around somewhere there too. Now this is not unique, as I remember other last nights when the Billys were seen at the back of the Orchestra. On one night (either Trent or Kiril’s last?) a Forum member heard one say to the others, “He’s so good!” =) But yes, since I was in left Orchestra near or on the center aisle, I had a great view then of the three Billys cheering on their friend. And they didn’t hold back either, often cheering louder and more than all of us. It was AWESOME!!! =) And it really became part of the show for those of us in the know, watching the boys out of the corner of our eye react and laugh and clap and cheer for certain numbers and moments. Dayton also allowed himself to smile and look their way several times too which was just awesome x 10. =)

As was mentioned before, it wasn’t really until The Letter Reprise that Dayton started crying a lot, overcome briefly with the heightened emotion of everything. As I said in my review of Michael Dameski’s last show in the Charlotte reviews, this moment is a place late in the show in which tears are practically scripted, so when you open your tear ducts on a last night to let a few out, you find it’s like breaking open a dam of pent-up emotion. And like Michael, Dayton seemed to be caught off guard by this sudden rain of tears. Needless to say, it brought me to tears as well. Such a sad but beautiful moment, both for Billy and for Dayton.

At stage door, Dayton actually semi-apologized for this moment! He was sorry that he broke character. How sweet is that?! =) Of all the last shows I’ve been able to attend, Dayton and his family made it the most special at stage door by really hanging out with us fans who were there. They were in zero rush to get anywhere, even if a party might have been waiting for them, and were just totally in the moment with us. It was so great. He posed for pictures, even did a dance on the sidewalk for the few of us who were left, talked with us, thanked us, laughed with us. It was a memorable experience for me as a fan to be treated so well and so kindly by a performer and his family on such a special night for them. I don’t think it’s a mistake that I have gotten to know Michael and Dayton’s families better than all of the American Billy’s families. And that’s not to say that they haven’t all been so great and sweet with us fans. It’s just worth a huge thank you again to the Australians for being extra warm and friendly. I’m one of those Americans I speak of when I say we hold back too much, are guarded and often insecure. But the Australian Billys and their families have brought and taught so much relaxed friendliness to our country and “I really appreciate it.” I can only hope and pray that Dayton and his family will cross my path again some day, and as I told his dad Elvis, they always have a friend in New York and a place to call home! Elvis told me to be careful, that he might take me up on that. =) I miss you all so much already and Dayton, thank you sooooooooooooooooooo much for sharing your talents with us the past few years. And thank you for being the amazing, wonderful, sweet young guy you are!!!

Sean

"Good writers define reality; bad ones merely restate it." -Edward Albee
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

Sean, I don't think you could ever write a mediocre review. This was well worth the wait. :D
-Chris
:/
Moby-Dick
Tall Boy

Post by Moby-Dick »

Am going to copy your style of reviewing reviews, Sean! Hope you don't mind. :mrgreen:
angelenroute wrote:The following will be a mediocre review of a beautiful night of theatre. The emotions and the emotional memories are still very much with me, but details of the show itself are sketchy. For that, I offer my sincere apologies.

No need for apologies at all! Like CJ-Rochester said, you really can't write a mediocre review. Am so happy that you were able to take the time to write this, especially as it's a show I was sorely sad not to be able to see. Le sigh...

Sunday, December 12, 2010 (evening show)
Dayton Tavares's last show in the role of Billy Elliot

It was, as it always is, a big moment when Stephen Daldry climbed the stage. This time he received a smattering of applause before even saying who he was. I’ve long felt that he deserves a standing ovation every time he takes the stage, but at the same time, there’s something different about this show, this community. If Lee Hall is the Creator, the mysterious one we don’t talk about enough, and Elton John is the musical muse who came in and provided brilliance of ideas and sound, Mr. Daldry is the father figure, the one who runs the show, and we look up to him with respect and admiration for his control and power, and his obvious intelligent design.

Glad that Stephen Daldry was able to make it to Dayton's last show. A send off from the "father figure" of the show is so utterly appropriate for each of these talented boys - esp. one who has been with the show as long as Dayton.

As usual, he gave a stirring speech. Dayton has been with us since Australia… Dayton is an amazing talent we’ve been lucky to have with us this long… My memories are crap, sorry. But it was of course a beautiful testament to Dayton’s time and talents as Billy. Since I can’t give you the speech itself here, I’ll paint you a *probable* picture of backstage during these special minutes while Stephen spoke. Actors are all in place, told Stephen would be saying something first. All actors on stage left/house right are in place, Greg and Dayton standing near each other for their eventual entrance. Stephen saying really wonderful things about Dayton, who must be smiling and touched, though has to keep emotions in check for the start of the show. Smiles from other cast mates sent his way. Must be an amazing moment in theatre to be talked about so beautifully before you go on in the role, knowing someone like Stephen Daldry is praising you to over 1,400 fans, your family from Australia and your closest friends and colleagues. Lots of cheers and applause from the audience at several times throughout his speech, and the blood was officially pumping on stage and all throughout the theatre.

I can’t tell you much about the show itself except that it was brilliant, and as is too often the case recently on Broadway, you feel like the Billy could easily carry on for a while longer. Liam Redhead was still in his prime of Billy months, Michael Dameski (on tour) was still amazing and fantastic, possible future leavers could easily go on longer too, and Dayton as well. It is a necessary graduation though of course, as these incredibly talented young men should be let free to continue their education both on and off stage before their next great incarnation before an audience.

Sigh! I know what you mean. As fervid fans, we cannot help but wish to get extra time with these amazingly talented young men. But of course, as you said, they should indeed be "let free" to surprise us with their future endeavours. Am sure this is not the last we will see of any of the amazing Billys that have graced the stages across the world.

At Intermission, I was let in on a GREAT realization that others had made but I had not yet, one which would DOUBLE my enjoyment of the second half of the show. No, it was not something even more special on stage, but rather an extra, extra, extra, extra special treat OFF stage. In the audience with us were ALL FOUR of the other Billys!!! Alex, Joseph and Peter were in the box seats on house left and I saw Jacob in the crowd on Orchestra floor at Intermission, so he was around somewhere there too. Now this is not unique, as I remember other last nights when the Billys were seen at the back of the Orchestra. On one night (either Trent or Kiril’s last?) a Forum member heard one say to the others, “He’s so good!” =) But yes, since I was in left Orchestra near or on the center aisle, I had a great view then of the three Billys cheering on their friend. And they didn’t hold back either, often cheering louder and more than all of us. It was AWESOME!!! =) And it really became part of the show for those of us in the know, watching the boys out of the corner of our eye react and laugh and clap and cheer for certain numbers and moments. Dayton also allowed himself to smile and look their way several times too which was just awesome x 10. =)

WAHHHHH!!!! That sounds wonderful! Just reading this made me happy. :mrgreen: x 10000000. I can't imagine how absolutely heartwarming it must have been to have been able to witness this camaraderie in the theatre.

As was mentioned before, it wasn’t really until The Letter Reprise that Dayton started crying a lot, overcome briefly with the heightened emotion of everything. As I said in my review of Michael Dameski’s last show in the Charlotte reviews, this moment is a place late in the show in which tears are practically scripted, so when you open your tear ducts on a last night to let a few out, you find it’s like breaking open a dam of pent-up emotion. And like Michael, Dayton seemed to be caught off guard by this sudden rain of tears. Needless to say, it brought me to tears as well. Such a sad but beautiful moment, both for Billy and for Dayton.

That was so perfectly put, Sean. I can't imagine how overwhelming it must be to perform that scene.

At stage door, Dayton actually semi-apologized for this moment! He was sorry that he broke character. How sweet is that?! =)

Goodness! The professionalism that these young men exhibit is utterly amazing. That's so sweet that Dayton even felt the need to apologize at all! I personally have always found those emotional moments during the last shows especially endearing and have never minded it in the least!

Of all the last shows I’ve been able to attend, Dayton and his family made it the most special at stage door by really hanging out with us fans who were there. They were in zero rush to get anywhere, even if a party might have been waiting for them, and were just totally in the moment with us. It was so great. He posed for pictures, even did a dance on the sidewalk for the few of us who were left, talked with us, thanked us, laughed with us. It was a memorable experience for me as a fan to be treated so well and so kindly by a performer and his family on such a special night for them. I don’t think it’s a mistake that I have gotten to know Michael and Dayton’s families better than all of the American Billy’s families. And that’s not to say that they haven’t all been so great and sweet with us fans. It’s just worth a huge thank you again to the Australians for being extra warm and friendly. I’m one of those Americans I speak of when I say we hold back too much, are guarded and often insecure. But the Australian Billys and their families have brought and taught so much relaxed friendliness to our country and “I really appreciate it.”

It really is so wonderful that the Aussie families have been so warm and welcoming with regards to the fans. Hearing about your various experiences talking and meeting with them is always so heartwarming. It's surprising, I think, when performers and their families are willing to share and be so open with fans of the show; and it's such a treat for us!

I can only hope and pray that Dayton and his family will cross my path again some day, and as I told his dad Elvis, they always have a friend in New York and a place to call home! Elvis told me to be careful, that he might take me up on that. =) I miss you all so much already and Dayton, thank you sooooooooooooooooooo much for sharing your talents with us the past few years. And thank you for being the amazing, wonderful, sweet young guy you are!!!

Sean
Sean, thanks again for taking the time to write a wonderful review. It was an awesome read, and I'm glad I was able to live vicariously through your writing.

x
M-D

Return to “Reviews - Broadway”