February 2011 Reviews - NYC

JohnCougar
Small Boy

February 2011 Reviews - NYC

Post by JohnCougar »

Feb 10, 2011

It was the first chance I've had to see Joseph Harrington on the Imperial Stage. He is much better at the role of Billy than he was as the quarterback of the Atlanta Falcons!....haha. In all seriousness, he has an amazing singing voice and is a solid dancer and actor; flawless performance. I like how Billy now does the Vulcan hand sign when presenting the Star Trek Annual. Nice touch. Greg Jbara amazes me each and every time I see him perform. He brings such emotion to the role even though he's been at it for 2+ years in this show!
angelenroute
Billy

Re: February 2011 Reviews - NYC

Post by angelenroute »

JohnCougar wrote:I like how Billy now does the Vulcan hand sign when presenting the Star Trek Annual. Nice touch.
I know others have done this in the past but maybe only 1 or 2 on Broadway? I hope a moderator or other knowing person will help clarify. And I like it too! :)

Sean

"Good writers define reality; bad ones merely restate it." -Edward Albee
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

I think Tommy Batchelor initiated it, and he is the only Billy that I know of who has used it.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

ERinVA wrote:I think Tommy Batchelor initiated it, and he is the only Billy that I know of who has used it.
How funny! Dancingfool was just telling me yesterday how Joseph is very much a showman like Tommy was, and this makes sense now that they'd both use that device. =)

"Good writers define reality; bad ones merely restate it." -Edward Albee
cincinnati
Tall Boy

Post by cincinnati »

I agree....Joseph knows how to put the mustard on the sandwich.....what a showman.....he puts a few extra ZZZZ's on the paazzzaaaa of his shows.....That WAIT with his back to the crowd in front of the Billy sign at the end ....is CLASSIC....Just love it...what a style.....he knows how to play the crowd.....they just go crazy at the end when he does that.......
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

cincinnati wrote:Joseph...That WAIT with his back to the crowd in front of the Billy sign at the end ....is CLASSIC....Just love it...what a style.....he knows how to play the crowd.....they just go crazy at the end when he does that.......
Very happy to hear Joseph does this! I love it!
inspired
Tall Boy

Post by inspired »

I saw Joseph on Sunday, and he totally impressed me. Yes, he can sing and dance and act as well. My favorite moment was at the end of AD. He got up, brushed himself off, glared at us, walked away, then before exiting, stopped, turned around, and glared at us one more time. A great showman. I thought it was interesting at the end of the kiss scene between Billy and Michael, when Michael is leaving and says goodbye & Merry Christmas, Joseph didn't respond. Alex and Jacob did the day before. That must be an optional line for them.
28 shows, 17 Billys, 11 cities
inspired
Tall Boy

Post by inspired »

Saturday Matinee, February 19
Billy: Jacob Clemente
Michael: Gabriel Rush

Wow! Let me start off with that word. Others have said it, but Jacob is the real deal. He can dance, he can sing, and boy can he act! What an all-round performance by this talented young man. He was Billy, and brought us into his world completely. The audience was the best I’ve experienced, and much of it I attribute to feeding off the sheer talent of this young actor. I was four rows back, so was clearly able to see the actors’ facial expressions. Jacob was fantastic all throughout the show by naturally emoting using his face, I mean really acting. You don’t see many youngsters his age with that ability. Throughout Grandma’s number he smiled, laughed, and pulled us right into her story. (I like how these NY Billys put their arm around Grandma as they walk out after her song). And I loved his response to Debbie after the hoohoo line – he easily showed six different expressions with perfect timing.

Jacob plays a tougher Billy, which I really like. It brought to mind reviews I’ve read of Cesar Corrales who has been described as portraying an “Angry Billy” (would love to see him), although I just think Jacob is tougher, not so much angry. I like this because the tender moments are juxtapositioned against this toughness and it makes for even more of an acting range which I really appreciate. His Angry Dance was forceful and powerful. Every time I see a Billy do this number, I think I must be watching a hologram, because it’s not possible for anyone (much less a boy) to have the stamina to pull it off. Methinks it is stage trickery…. ;)

Jacob and Gabriel played off each other as two guys totally on top of their game, and the audience loved every minute of Expressing Yourself. I love looking around during that number and watching audience members with big smiles on their faces. The first half of Swan Lake Jacob was not quite in sync with his older self, but that’s just minor detail. As with all other shows I’ve seen, the two biggest laughs came at “nutcracker” and “esquire.”

The heartstrings were pulled when Jacob and Mum did Dear Billy and Reprise. Lots and lots of sniffling all around the theater. I do have to say I liked this Mum much more than Beverly’s (Mum on the tour). Sweet, and not so forced and overly emotional. As someone said before, it should be Billy emoting more than Mum (she’s the image after all).

One thing I found odd in this production came during the bit where George is telling Jackie (with the girls on their laps) that Billy hasn’t been attending boxing lessons. The staging is weird to me – they have Billy walking right by the two talking to get to the upstage Mrs. W. (the tour just has Billy already in the background working with Mrs. W.).

Born to Boogie was great. Thommie’s antics and movements got its own applause during the number. My gosh is he agile. Jacob didn’t jump off the piano to end it though – is that something they’re phasing out? (Alex didn’t either; Joseph did, but just a Billy jump). Thommie’s lines for the explanation of the dance history don’t get properly enunciated, though, and thus don’t get the laughs I’ve seen others get. Unfortunately, I hit the week Greg Jbara was off, so didn’t get to see him in any of my shows. However, Joel Hatch did a great job as Dad. I saw a number of understudies over the weekend, and I’m amazed at how they were all so wonderful. There is no way a first-timer would have ever guessed they were u/s. And…every time I see the show, I am more and more awed at the job the ballet girls do. So much intricacy in their movements through the first half, yet they have to look so clumsy at the same time. It is such a joy to see them show off their stuff in the Finale. (btw, when are they going to put Tall Boy in the Finale???? It’s so weird that he’s left out!).

The highlight for me though was Jacob’s Electricity. He just nailed it so completely. Have you ever watched any of these guys do that number and realized you have a huge smile on your face as he builds to the end, like you’re bursting with pride for him? The buildup was palpable, and even before the pirouettes at the end, the audience was clapping and cheering. He got a huge reaction that lasted as long as any I’ve seen, proudly smiling all throughout his final pose. Then he dropped the pose, was just himself smiling at us, and the applause still went on! What a cool moment.

Thanks for reading all this; it’s such a joy to share my thoughts with those that know the show inside and out.

Mark
28 shows, 17 Billys, 11 cities
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

Mark,

Thanks so much for the review. It really highlighted a lot of great moments in this show. Sounds like all of the actors were at the top of their games.

Though brief, I loved your comments of comparison between the Tour and Broadway versions of the show. It's always great to see such differences and how they're handled.

You said "shows", meaning you saw more than one on this trip? If so, looking forward to the reviews on the others.
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

Nice review Mark! I agree Jacob has become a top notch Billy over his nearly one year of performing in the role. I'm looking forward to catching him again in a couple of weeks.

FYI all of the Billys in Toronto do the flip off the piano during B2B. I think this is still an individual choice.

I agree with you that Tall Boy should be included in the finale. We know he can dance, since he understudies for Michael. Also I hate the big mittens that Tall Boy wears during the curtain call.
-Chris
:/

Return to “Reviews - Broadway”