Site Moderator

Re: July 2011 Reviews - NYC

Post by CJ-Rochester »

Sat. July 2, evening, Seat A-109

Billy - Peter,
Michael - Cameron,
Small Boy - Zachary,
Mrs. W. - Laura Marie Duncan.

So much attention has been paid to the back-to-back amazing shows on July 3rd, but let's step back to the day before. Earlier that day I had seen "War Horse" and was blown away by it (see review in the "Other Broadway Shows" section). Then it was dinner with my best friend to celebrate his 50th birthday (something I am not looking forward to next year). The day was happily capped off with the start of a 3-show Billython.

I already knew Peter was scheduled, as it had been posted on his dance school's website. I saw Peter twice very early in his run, but not since about 8 months ago, and was looking forward to seeing how he has progressed. I was thrilled when I saw Laura Marie's name on the board. I enjoyed seeing her as Mrs. W. in March, and was very impressed with her take on the role.

In addition this was my first time sitting in center row A, right behind the conductor. Before the show starts I like to look around to see who is near, and say a friendly hello. It is rare to find that the people sitting with you are also big fans of the show (unless you already know them from the forums), but that is exactly what I discovered of the two next to me. One was a lady (a NYC local) who has seen it more times than she can count. The other was younger man from Holland, who had flown in mainly to see Jacob's last show. The two had met at a previous performance. They are not members of either forum, but just fans of the show (and especially fans of Jacob). These were the "couple more Billy superfans that don’t commune with the rest of us" that Sean mentioned.

Boxing -
Cameron gave Peter one of the most convincing punches I have seen.

Solidarity -
One of the things I love about Laura Marie playing Mrs. W. is that she really acts like a teacher. A good example is the pirouette lesson. She really makes you believe she is trying to teach these kids.

When Peter had to "pick up the biscuit" I was convinced he would topple over. Most Billys wobble for a bit until they get their balance, but this lasted a long time.

Peter, Jacob and Joseph, are all masters of telling the story through their facial expressions. Each does it differently, but they are all great. Near the end as he gets ready for the final pirouettes, you can watch the progression on Peter's face. At first it's a serious look ("I hope I can do this. I think I can do this. I can do this."). The look changes to one of pure joy and glee when he is actually doing them successfully ("Yes I did it! "I knew I could!"). The same looks are seen later during "Dream Ballet" and "Electricity".

Express -
During the shoe changing the lines usually go: "Billy wins", "You cheated", and then they push the set off and start tapping. This time Peter won with lots of time to spare, so they threw in a few extra lines about "I always win", "no I always win".

One disadvantage of sitting so close ... hairy legs under the big dresses. :lol:

Letter -
I said long ago that Peter is second only to Jacob in tear production. This time he started very early on in the song.

Second bathroom scene (after B2B) -
Lilla seemed to take a really long look at Billy under the stall door. This was only my second time seeing Lilla and I was still getting used to her. She is quite a small Debbie, but has a big personality. By the end of the weekend I had grown to love her character. :D

Maggie Thatcher -
If you are sitting near the front center, and if Thommie Retter knows you, watch for the masked piano player to be pointing at you during this song. :lol: Rich B experienced the same thing at one of the shows in March (I believe he was in the exact same seat).

Dream Ballet -
Again I love Peter's looks of both concentration and then pure joy.

Electricity -
There were no aerials or anything exotic, but I think his ballet form has developed very nicely.

In the goodbye scene with Mrs. Wilkinson, Laura Marie is very "down to earth" in her reactions to Billy, not posturing. She makes such a great Mrs. W! After the Sunday matinee a few of us were able to catch her at the stage door and shower her with compliments.

We Were Kings -
When Peter rose above the group on Greg's shoulders he was wearing the miner's helmet with the light turned on. This was first done in Chicago, and then carried to the tour and Toronto. Finally they brought this to Broadway! I love watching Billy shining the light across the balcony, and looking out into the world in wide-eyed wonder. It is a great touch, and long overdue. I don't know when this change started but all the shows this weekend were done this way.

Letter Reprise -
Again lots of tears from Peter. How do these kids to this so consistently?

After the show I spoke with Peter's dad at the stage door, and reminded him that we had met in September. I think he is still a little blown away that there are such fans who see the show so many times. :P

Peter still has the "little boy" looks and mannerisms, but his dancing has come a long way. He has really become an awesome Billy! :D
-Chris
:/
Todd
Dad

Post by Todd »

CJ-Rochester wrote: Boxing -
One thing I've noticed that seems to help with the punches is when the boxing glove makes contact with the microphone that's attached to their head. It gives an extra "pop" sound which amplifies the punch and makes it seem more real. I've noticed that it gets more of a laugh than when the microphone doesn't get whacked, where it comes across as more of a silent punch (i.e. not as convincing).
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

CJ-Rochester wrote:These were the "couple more Billy superfans that don’t commune with the rest of us" that Sean mentioned.
-Chris
Great review Chris! I noticed the bit with Billy wearing the miner's cap at my show in early June, but can't pinpoint when it was introduced beyond that. As to your reference above, I was actually thinking of others I see who never talk to any of us (by their choice). I completely understand those who don't know anyone yet or those who don't feel comfortable doing dinners, but there are several fans who don't seem to appreciate the theme of community that Billy Elliot The Musical teaches. And while I'm not gonna spit at them and call them a scab :lol: I do wish they'd stop and chat now and then. I've met so many great people through the Forums! Anyway, c'est la vie! =)

Peter's Letter Scene is fantastic. Jacob had a well-up kind of approach that worked great for him, but Peter sort of just breaks down and it gets me every time. I'm always so impressed how quickly the Billys transition between happy and sad, angry and scared. They're all so good!!!

Sean

"Good writers define reality; bad ones merely restate it." -Edward Albee
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

Todd wrote:
CJ-Rochester wrote: Boxing -
One thing I've noticed that seems to help with the punches is when the boxing glove makes contact with the microphone that's attached to their head. It gives an extra "pop" sound which amplifies the punch and makes it seem more real. I've noticed that it gets more of a laugh than when the microphone doesn't get whacked, where it comes across as more of a silent punch (i.e. not as convincing).
YES!!! Totally agree, and it's one of those bits that no matter how many times I see it I still gasp out loud haha.

Sean
atreyu
George

Post by atreyu »

angelenroute wrote:I noticed the bit with Billy wearing the miner's cap at my show in early June, but can't pinpoint when it was introduced beyond that.
I saw it first on June 5th. It was not in the evening shows on May 28th or 29th.
cincinnati
Tall Boy

Post by cincinnati »

Saturday July 9th
Billy Giuseppe
Michael Neil

I last saw Giuseppe in Chicago in summer of 2010. Giuseppe is a much different Billy than others I must say. A very athletic Billy for sure. The fact that Giuseppe takes the form of an attack mode when he dances would be saying the least. The ability that he has is something that needs to be seen in person to appreciate. I think the thing that startled me the most is that Giuseppe has a crystal clear voice when it comes to singing. The pitch and the range is outstanding. Giuseppe on the lighter side reminds me of a very young Elvis Presley. The hair, the smile and the singing. If fans of this show have still not seen Giuseppe they need to see him this summer, he is worth the trip to NYC.
Neil, I must say that Neil is like changing right before our eyes. There is a sign of brilliance to Neil that I am seeing more and more each time I see him. I think the thing that is coming very very obvious to me is that Neil can act. Neil is so convincing on stage that it seems that for a brief moment things are REAL.
Giuseppe's parents were both in attendance and are very genuine and nice people. They like Giuseppe are very gracious to others.
I can't urge one enough that if you haven't had the chance to see Giuseppe, don't let it pass you up, he is simply brilliant.
pvmichaels
Small Boy

Post by pvmichaels »

This past weekend, I had my four show, Billy-thon where I was able to see three of the four Billy’s (minus Peter who I guess is on vacation). I leave NYC Wednesday night and am trying to maybe to see if I can fit in the matinee show, but would might miss my plane...hmmm....should I take the chance?!?!? I better not... :cry: It was my first time seeing Tade, which I ended up seeing twice. It was also very pleasing to see Giuseppe and Joseph once again and they truly have grown into the role of Billy. Each of the three boys played Billy in a different way, which I just loved. I am not good at doing these reviews, but I will do my best!

During the Saturday matinee, I was excited to see, for my first time, Tade, while Cameron was in it for Michael. It was interesting to see these two boys intermingle. Both are about the same height, which was a little bit of an issue for some when he was there with Jacob and some others. Last time I saw Cameron, he had just started and now he seems very comfortable in the role and played Michael with such excitement and was just funny with his special comments, actions that make his Michael unique. Tade is what I call the ‘archetype of a Billy’. He played Billy is a giggly, boyish way, typical of a boy that age generally is. He wasn’t angry or defiant, just innocent! A boy who wants to do what he likes doing, which is dancing. I even told Tade how I truly liked his performance after the show! Tade hopefully will be able to be Billy for a long time! An interesting side note…for both performances, Tade didn’t go on top of the piano, he does a flip, head first, throwing his legs up, which for me got me so nervous because I was scared he fall on his head. He did these flips during Electricity as well.

For the Saturday night performance, Giuseppe and Neil were Billy and Michael respectfully. Giuseppe, who I have seen on tour and now on Broadway, is just a master of the stage in all aspects. No flaws whatsoever! Neil‘s Michael is just as flawless! He plays on the audience reactions and they just loved him! I loved Giuseppe’s facial reaction during the sign when his father found out he was dancing instead of boxing. While his father, played by Greg Jbara, was yelling at him, and giving him a shower of spit, Giuseppe had this facial expression like ‘get me out of here’ and when the father was yelling at Ms. Wilkinson, Giuseppe just looked at his arms and looked like ‘I really need a shower now’….I don’t know, I can’t really explain, but the look was classic! Giuseppe will be a name to remember…he will be going far! At the stage door, he was a pure gentleman for everyone that wanted pictures and to talk to him!

For Sunday matinee’s performance, I had the pleasure to see Joseph and Neil as Billy and Michael. I have become a true fan of Joseph because I feel he plays Billy in a more emotional way. I don’t know, but every time I see his performances, I get really emotional, especially during the letter scenes. Joseph’s dance and singing skills are just awesome (have I used this word too many times?!?!?). His acting and interaction with the others is extremely believable. I had a nice conversation with a lady next to me during intermission and she commented on the emotional performance, and ‘fierceness’ that Joseph had during the Angry Dance. She and I both were trying our hardest to keep the tears from flowing too much, but that was a complete failure. It drives me mental that I cannot control those damn tears, especially during Joseph’s performances…but I cannot wait to see his performance again!

A few other things that I noticed, has there been changes to the NYC show? I thought the film had been changed, and some of the dialoged changed as well, such as the Mohammad Ali joke was eliminated. I don’t know, it just seemed the pacing was different, not in a bad way, just different. Maybe it is just me, or maybe I am getting the different versions mixed up (London, NYC, Tour), which I have seen all of them this past year. Also, Ryan Steele played Older Billy for all the performances. On Sunday evening’s performance, he was given flowers during the encore, and once the curtain dropped, the crew sang ‘Happy Trails’ so I guess he is leaving the show.

Sorry if I rambled, but like I said, I’m not good at this! I just hope I can last until my next NYC trip. I heard something from one of the main ushers, so I know I will need to go back…maybe in November!

Mike
Broadway-
Billy- Jacob 2x, Joseph 3x, Tade 4x, Peter 4x, Alex 1x, Giuseppe 1x, Julian 2x
Michael- Jake 1x, Cameron 7x, Neil 5x, Jack 4x

North American Tour-
Billy- Daniel 2x, Giuseppe 2x, Kylend 1x, JP 1x, Ty 1x, Zach 1x, Noah 2x, Ben 2x, Mitchell 3x, Drew 1x
Michael- Griffin 2x, Jacob 4x, Cameron 2x, Sam 4x, Jake 4x

London-
Billy- Scott 1x, Ryan 4x, Adam 2x, Harris 5x, Kaine 3x, Harrison 3x, Redman 2x

Michael- Joe M 5x, Connor L 4x, Connor K 4x, Reece 3x, thomas 2x, Jack 2x
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

pvmichaels wrote:has there been changes to the NYC show? I thought the film had been changed, and some of the dialoged changed as well, such as the Mohammad Ali joke was eliminated.

Great review Mike, and it seems like there are always changes to the show. They like to try things out and see if different bits work better. Even when they don't work, they keep us pros paying attention. =)

Also, Ryan Steele played Older Billy for all the performances. On Sunday evening’s performance, he was given flowers during the encore, and once the curtain dropped, the crew sang ‘Happy Trails’ so I guess he is leaving the show.

Maybe he was in for Step for a short-term. I did see Ryan in mid-July and he was awesome! Sorry to hear he can't stay in/rotate with Stephen, but I do love Stephen very much too! =)

Sean

"Good writers define reality; bad ones merely restate it." -Edward Albee
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Ryan Steele did leave the show on Sunday evening, according to a July 31 post on his public twitter, as did Thad Turner Wilson, whom Rich B and I met on the night of his Broadway debut back in March. This is the tweet from Ryan: See ya then! http://twitpic.com/5z1oo6
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
atreyu
George

Post by atreyu »

Nice writeup, Mike, and I wish I had read more carefully your forum posts before Saturday and wandered over from my B6 side of the theater for the two Saturday shows. Oh well, next time.
pvmichaels wrote:An interesting side note…for both performances, Tade didn’t go on top of the piano, he does a flip, head first, throwing his legs up, which for me got me so nervous because I was scared he fall on his head. He did these flips during Electricity as well.
IMHO, the return of the no-hands flip to Broadway is an excellent development. It's always a nice touch. I may be mistaken, but I believe Tade is the only Broadway Billy doing that since Alex.
pvmichaels wrote:Neil‘s Michael is just as flawless!
As much as Neil's Michael has garnered a lot of recognition, it's still not enough. The wonderful comedic touches plus the tap skills that usually match Billy's, the Expressing Yourself scene is always one of the very best parts in the show. It is particularly effective when Billy and Michael are equal size and therefore well-matched range of movement. The Joseph/Neil combination is sheer magic atm.
pvmichaels wrote:Giuseppe, who I have seen on tour and now on Broadway, is just a master of the stage in all aspects.
Here again, it was wonderful to see the flip off the piano at the end of Born to Boogie. First time I got to see this, spanning 18 BETMs. And then to see Giuseppe being mostly able to match the full range of moves of Older Billy in perfect sync during Dream Ballet, that was special. If you have not yet seen Giuseppe as Billy, you should correct the situation as soon as possible.

Return to “Reviews - Broadway”