September 2011 Reviews - NYC

Finale
Former Admin

September 2011 Reviews - NYC

Post by Finale »

Here is the thread for the September reviews. A reminder to all members to familiarise themselves with the forum rules before posting.
Todd
Dad

Re: September 2011 Reviews - NYC

Post by Todd »

Sunday, September 4, 2011 - matinee

Billy - Peter Mazurowski
Michael - Cameron Clifford
Mrs. Wilkinson - Katrina Yaukey
Grandma - Merle Louise
Small boy - Seth Fromowitz
All other performers were regular cast

I decided to make a quick Labor Day weekend trip to New York to be there tonight for Greg Jbara, Carole Shelley, and Joel Hatch's last show. Also bought a ticket for the afternoon show. I'm glad I did because I was finally able to see the only current Broadway Billy I hadn't seen yet - Peter Mazurowski.

I remember seeing a video interview with Peter and his uncle and his uncle said that while he knew Peter would do great with his dancing, he had no idea he'd be so good as an actor. That was the first thought I had too, as he seems like a natural at acting. He came across as very effortless in both his acting and his dancing, and has the sullen and moody character of Billy down to perfection.

His pirouettes are textbook in their grace and precision. It was a pleasure to see him do those at the end of "Solidarity" and in "Electricity." I've found that the finish position of "Electricity" is pretty hard to coordinate exactly with the music, despite the masterful talents of the boys who play Billy. But Peter finished it spot on this afternoon, finishing just as the music hit its final note. Needless to say, he got a long and well-deserved round of applause from the audience.

Peter also performed one of the more emotional "Letter" and "Letter Reprise" numbers that I've seen before. If he wasn't actually crying, then he did an awful good job of acting like he was. Not surprisingly, there were quite a few sniffles coming from the audience during these two scenes.

Speaking of the audience, it took awhile for them to warm up (or in the case of the guy next to me - to wake up, as I looked over and saw him snoozing during "Grandma's Song.") There was very little laughter reaction from the audience to the humorous moments in the show until the second half. It was good that they finally perked up and gave the cast the standing ovation that they deserved at the end.

You never know how kids in the audience are going to react, as they often see things differently and pick up on different things than we as adults do. After the conclusion of "Angry Dance" as the audience began to move up the aisles during the intermission, I heard a lady talking to her young son who looked to be about 6 or 7. She said, "I'm pretty sure that's the loudest part of the show. It shouldn't get any louder than that scene for the rest of the show." Apparently the searing guitars and screaming were a little hard on his sensitive ears !

Once again, a very entertaining and emotional performance and I look forward to tonight's special show with mixed emotions, as it will be sad to see the departure of several cast members who have played key roles with the show since the very beginning.
BEtourfan
Tony

Post by BEtourfan »

Todd wrote:Sunday, September 4, 2011 - matinee

Billy - Peter Mazurowski
Michael - Cameron Clifford
Grandma - Merle Louise
Small boy - Seth Fromowitz
All other performers were regular cast

I decided to make a quick Labor Day weekend trip to New York to be there tonight for Greg Jbara, Carole Shelley, and Joel Hatch's last show. Also bought a ticket for the afternoon show. I'm glad I did because I was finally able to see the only current Broadway Billy I hadn't seen yet - Peter Mazurowski.

I remember seeing a video interview with Peter and his uncle and his uncle said that while he knew Peter would do great with his dancing, he had no idea he'd be so good as an actor. That was the first thought I had too, as he seems like a natural at acting. He came across as very effortless in both his acting and his dancing, and has the sullen and moody character of Billy down to perfection.

His pirouettes are textbook in their grace and precision. It was a pleasure to see him do those at the end of "Solidarity" and in "Electricity." I've found that the finish position of "Electricity" is pretty hard to coordinate exactly with the music, despite the masterful talents of the boys who play Billy. But Peter finished it spot on this afternoon, finishing just as the music hit its final note. Needless to say, he got a long and well-deserved round of applause from the audience.

Peter also performed one of the more emotional "Letter" and "Letter Reprise" numbers that I've seen before. If he wasn't actually crying, then he did an awful good job of acting like he was. Not surprisingly, there were quite a few sniffles coming from the audience during these two scenes.

Speaking of the audience, it took awhile for them to warm up (or in the case of the guy next to me - to wake up, as I looked over and saw him snoozing during "Grandma's Song.") There was very little laughter reaction from the audience to the humorous moments in the show until the second half. It was good that they finally perked up and gave the cast the standing ovation that they deserved at the end.

You never know how kids in the audience are going to react, as they often see things differently and pick up on different things than we as adults do. After the conclusion of "Angry Dance" as the audience began to move up the aisles during the intermission, I heard a lady talking to her young son who looked to be about 6 or 7. She said, "I'm pretty sure that's the loudest part of the show. It shouldn't get any louder than that scene for the rest of the show." Apparently the searing guitars and screaming were a little hard on his sensitive ears !

Once again, a very entertaining and emotional performance and I look forward to tonight's special show with mixed emotions, as it will be sad to see the departure of several cast members who have played key roles with the show since the very beginning.
Katrina Yaukey was in the Tour Ensemble, and also appeared as the "Clipboard Woman"
Todd
Dad

Post by Todd »

Sunday evening, September 4, 2011

Billy - Joseph Harrington
Michael - Neil McCaffrey
Small Boy - Zachary Maitlin
All other cast were regulars

This evening's special show began with a nice speech by Stephen Daldry, telling the audience that tonight would be a special night as they were saying goodbye to three of the principle cast members who had been there since the beginning of the Broadway show. He referred to Joel Hatch, Carole Shelley, and Greg Jbara and told how they were the backbone of the company and how much they would be missed . . . but how fortunate we've been to have seen them perform in the show so many times the past 3 years.

There was nothing out of the ordinary in terms of changed lines, extra hugs, etc. as there often is on a Billy or Michael's final show. Joseph Harrington led the cast in fine fashion, as I felt he had improved in just the 2 and a half months since I'd seen him here this summer. His diction is among the best of the young cast members in my opinion, as he speaks slowly and distinctly and projects well with his delivery. He also seems to be a strong singer, as he belts out "Electricity" with confidence and a pleasant tone of voice.

Special mention should go to Neil McCaffrey as Michael, who has a real pizzazz in all the scenes he appears in and looks to be loving every minute of it. His fun personality really shines through on stage, as it's easy to imagine that he would be someone fun to be around. His singing is outstanding in "Express Yourself" and makes me wonder if he has more of a singing background than most of the kids in the cast.

Another cast member who I was very impressed with in both shows today was Laura Marie Duncan as Dead Mum. Her caring for Billy and for being a positive influence in his life seems genuine, and her singing is very good.

Finally in the "Letter Reprise" you could tell that this was not an ordinary show. Joseph became quite emotional as he began singing to his mum, as the realization that he was losing 3 members of his show business family apparently began to sink in. He was noticeably teary as he walked up the aisle at the end, and even through part of the Company Celebration, which is about when I started getting choked up as well. Not sure if I've ever seen a Finale performed with a Billy in tears for part of it, nor have I seen that number performed nearly entirely with the audience standing which they did to honor the departing cast members. It began when Joseph came out towards the beginning of the number with Greg and Joel Hatch, and the audience rose to its feet and remained standing during the rest of the number. Pretty cool.

After the show, the sounds of "Happy Trails" could be heard backstage followed by lots of cheers, which must have been difficult since they were saying goodbye to three members of the cast who have played such an integral part in the show's history on Broadway. A big crowd of well-wishers waited at the stage door, and were treated to all 4 of the current Billys, both Michaels, and Billy alum Jacob Clemente. Greg Jbara was the last cast member there, appropriately ending his tenure in the show the same way he has carried on throughout: going above and beyond for the fans by posing for pictures, visiting, and offering kind words to all. I feel fortunate to have gotten to know someone as kind-hearted and positive in the way he goes about his business as Greg. As a father of one of the former Billys once told me that he'd shared with his son: "If you're looking for someone to model yourself after in show business, look at Greg Jbara. The dedication he gives to his craft and the way he treats the fans are an excellent example to follow." He - along with Carole Shelley and Joel Hatch - will certainly be missed.
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

Thank you, Todd, for describing so well, the historic events of last evening.

That Stephen Daldry made it a point to be there speaks volumes to how well respected this trio is and how important they have been for BETM Broadway.

It was so great to hear how the audience reacted during the Finale (Company Celebration) -- again the recognition by the public of these three "backbones" of the show.

And finally, I was very touched in reading that all four Billys (and one past one) were in attendance to send off Greg, Carole and Joel. The Michaels both had to be there, but not all the Billys did. Again, it speaks volumes as to how loved and respected this trio has been.

Thanks again, Todd, for taking the time to so ably put down your thoughts. Greg, Carole and Joel will definitely be missed and I wish them all well as they move onto new horizons.
Todd
Dad

Post by Todd »

Thanks for your kind words regarding the review of last night's show. There definitely does seem to be a great deal of respect in particular for those three departing cast members, so it was nice to see so many of the cast turn out for the show when they all didn't have to be there. Frankly I was surprised there weren't even a few more former cast members there, at least afterwards at the stage door. I suppose it's possible though that they came to the going-away party, which everyone was heading off to after the show.

Stephen Daldry had several decisions to make this weekend of where to be, what with the departing cast members in New York, a departing Billy in London, and the final performance of the show in Toronto. Glad it worked out to see him, as he's always very eloquent with his going-away speeches.
atreyu
George

Post by atreyu »

Todd,

That is a most excellent account of this special evening (9/4). I look at the notes I made and see you've covered just about every one of them and in such a way that nothing more needs to be said aside from my wholehearted agreement.

As such, I feel I need to apologize that one item needs a correction. According to the cast list in the lobby, it was Stephanie Kurtzuba who played the excellent Mum. That was for the evening show, at least; don't know about the afternoon.

The one additional item I noted was how the pacing overall was more deliberate than usual, allowing full dramatic pauses to occur. It was as if for this last show of Dad, George and Grandma, they were allowed full freedom of expression and whatever time concerns there may normally be were not in force tonight. Final curtain fell at 10:25, certainly on the later side of the range, but never did the show feel like it dragged. Rather it was great to have a full show to savor.

What a privilege it has been to enjoy not just the onstage performances of Greg, Joel and Carole, but also the offstage work of Greg's. He has been a wonderful ambassador to the fans and leaves big shoes to fill. Let us hope that role is capably filled as well.
Todd
Dad

Post by Todd »

atreyu wrote: According to the cast list in the lobby, it was Stephanie Kurtzuba who played the excellent Mum. That was for the evening show, at least; don't know about the afternoon.
Yes, my apologies, I believe you are correct regarding both the afternoon and evening shows. I do remember an insert in the Playbill stating as such, come to think of it. That being the case, I can't imagine the regular dead mum actress doing the part any better than Stephanie Kurtzuba did yesterday. Hope she gets to continue to fill in regularly - or take over the role permanently when/if it becomes available.
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

Todd wrote:Sunday, September 4, 2011 - matinee

Billy - Peter Mazurowski

Glad you finally got to see Peter. He's a great asset to Broadway and a wonderful Billy!

Sean
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

my comments in blue below
Todd wrote:This evening's special show began with a nice speech by Stephen Daldry, telling the audience that tonight would be a special night as they were saying goodbye to three of the principle cast members who had been there since the beginning of the Broadway show. He referred to Joel Hatch, Carole Shelley, and Greg Jbara and told how they were the backbone of the company and how much they would be missed . . . but how fortunate we've been to have seen them perform in the show so many times the past 3 years.

I'm glad Stephen made an appearance Sunday for this special final performance of these 3 giants of Broadway. Greg Jbara and Carole Shelley have proven track records as Broadway giants and I know all Billy fans will agree Joel Hatch has proven to be a giant himself. Anyone who sees any performance past or future with these incredibly talented actors is in for a treat. They have been absolutely instrumental in solidifying BETM as one of the best shows Broadway has ever seen, and they have helped keep so many patrons coming back over and over again. (I hear some people see the show as many as ten times!!!)

Joseph Harrington ...his diction is among the best of the young cast members in my opinion, as he speaks slowly and distinctly and projects well with his delivery. He also seems to be a strong singer, as he belts out "Electricity" with confidence and a pleasant tone of voice.

Joseph is the Billy who I've yet to see, but I hear he's great and a lot of fun to watch perform. Although Myles starts soon too, so I guess I have some catching up to do! Thank God for a soon-to-be-improving financial picture for me. =)

Another cast member who I was very impressed with in both shows today was Laura Marie Duncan as Dead Mum. Her caring for Billy and for being a positive influence in his life seems genuine, and her singing is very good.

There just cannot be anywhere near enough praise heaped on this woman. She is sooooooo good as both Dead Mum and as Mrs. Wilkinson!!!

Joseph became quite emotional as he began singing to his mum, as the realization that he was losing 3 members of his show business family apparently began to sink in. He was noticeably teary as he walked up the aisle at the end, and even through part of the Company Celebration, which is about when I started getting choked up as well. Not sure if I've ever seen a Finale performed with a Billy in tears for part of it, nor have I seen that number performed nearly entirely with the audience standing which they did to honor the departing cast members. It began when Joseph came out towards the beginning of the number with Greg and Joel Hatch, and the audience rose to its feet and remained standing during the rest of the number. Pretty cool.

I'm sure it was a very special moment and a real thrill for the leaving actors as much as the audience. In March I was laid off from my job along with 2 other people in my department alone. As the three of us packed up our things, ready to go out into the world and start over in a way, there was enormous sadness but also lots of hugs and kisses and memories shared. Though I hope the situation was a bit better for these stage veterans, I'm sure it was an enormously sad journey to have to end too.

Greg Jbara was the last cast member there, appropriately ending his tenure in the show the same way he has carried on throughout: going above and beyond for the fans by posing for pictures, visiting, and offering kind words to all. I feel fortunate to have gotten to know someone as kind-hearted and positive in the way he goes about his business as Greg. As a father of one of the former Billys once told me that he'd shared with his son: "If you're looking for someone to model yourself after in show business, look at Greg Jbara. The dedication he gives to his craft and the way he treats the fans are an excellent example to follow." He - along with Carole Shelley and Joel Hatch - will certainly be missed.

Greg gave me the first of my two backstage tours, and he really was so great with it, totally in the moment, excited to be showing us all those cool things around the set and backstage. A year or so later I had an opportunity to have my second tour with Tessa Netting as our guide, when I saw the show with Bart from "Trent statue" fame. =) Bart, three of the wrestlers that Bart coaches, and I ran into Greg outside on the sidewalk as we left the theatre after the tour. He remembered my face from past shows, asked us our names and then talked with us for about 15 minutes outside the stage door before walking with us up to 8th avenue. As we said goodbye, he looked us each in the eye and wished us well by name. 5 people whose names he didn't know. Heard them once and then 20 minutes later shook our hands and said our names to us with a smile and a goodnight. That my friends is a great guy. Or uh, at least a great actor. ;)

Joel and Carole each deserve pages of thanks, which I'm sorry to say (although "you're welcome" to those who don't want much to read anyway) I can't take the time to write now. They will each and all be very missed indeed!
--Sean/angelenroute

"Good writers define reality; bad ones merely restate it." -Edward Albee

Return to “Reviews - Broadway”