September 2011 Reviews - NYC

Todd
Dad

Re: September 2011 Reviews - NYC

Post by Todd »

I'm hopeful that I will like the new actors in the Broadway show, but admit that I'm very partial to the ones who just left. Greg Jbara's "Dad" and Carole Shelley's "Grandma" are my personal favorites of all the actors I've seen in those roles. Unfortunately, there have been a few "Dad"s and "Grandma"s I never warmed up to despite seeing them several times over the course of a year or so. Hopefully the new Broadway actors will grown into their new roles and find their own personal touch with more practice.
cincinnati
Tall Boy

Post by cincinnati »

I see the show about once a week...and I saw the show on Saturday night, the one Colin saw as well....The Great Joseph Harrington took the stage and turned in his usual brilliant effort.....I see that people want to know about the cast members.....I have not written reviews in over four weeks...for various reasons....but I must add to what Colin has written. This whole show this night just dragged and dragged, it was very obvious to someone like me who has seen the show over 100 times..... Mr. Jenkins as the father has a long way to go, his singing has a lot of work to be done. The lines are said in a rapid fashion that just don't work. When you compare the other people who have played the part of Jackie Elliot, he just comes up way short. McGrath's efforts as grandma were okay, she seemed so nervous, but in time she will be okay. Youman's efforts like Jenkin's work just doesn't make it. The tone of voice is different...not very much like what I would say is a blue collar rough miner who knows something about boxing. They have done damage to the script I think with the changes....it's not the same....the jokes they added....yechhh....Rutigliano's opening of Merry Christmas MT....is so bizarre that I cannot describe it.....I like Rutigliano by the way...I think he does a good job with the show....but the opening song he sings ....my gosh...what are they thinking....I looked at (don't want to say the name of the actor) during the singing of this song..( I was sitting in row A)...and that young man just stared at me with a look of disbelief. I know that this was 9-11 eve ....the Imperial was about 70% full this night.....I for one think that they have a great lineup of Billy's right now....with Myles in the bullpen....the show has an excellent cast of Billy's.....Tade is simply brilliant....Cameron Clifford is a real joy to watch...and Neil who is leaving has done a solid job....... Ben Cook is such a bundle of talent that words cannot describe, he has a HUGE future in front of him....People have asked for comments about the new cast....so these are mine....I hope that I have not offended anyone....mind you I would never be critical of any minors....but this is what I feel about the new cast.....I hope the show will contine on and find it's way through this time of change.....I know that the excellent cast of Billy's and Michael's along with the GREAT BEN COOK....it will make it......
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

Give it time and things will settle. It is unfortunate that principles' coming and goings cannot be staggered.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Please tell me who Rutigliano is. I thought the new principal cast were Jenkins as Dad, McGrath as Grandma, and Youmans as George. Who the heck is Rutigliano, and what is he doing in Merry Christmas Maggie Thatcher?
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
BEtourfan
Tony

Post by BEtourfan »

ERinVA wrote:Please tell me who Rutigliano is. I thought the new principal cast were Jenkins as Dad, McGrath as Grandma, and Youmans as George. Who the heck is Rutigliano, and what is he doing in Merry Christmas Maggie Thatcher?
He's in the ensemble ... perhaps he was filling in as "George" that performance?
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

Sunday Night, September 25, 2011
BILLY: Peter
MICHAEL: Neil (his last performance in the role of Michael)

An unexpected gift from the Broadway gods brought me once again to one of the most magical places on the planet: 249 West 45th Street, New York, NY. It was to be Neil's last performance in the role of Michael, and it was predestined to be an emotional but exciting evening of live theatre. Unbeknown to me, I was seated right next to Neil's family. I had a feeling they weren't newbies when a familiar face waved their way, but I didn't realize who they were until after the show.

When Neil made his entrance in the start of Act 1, several of us began clapping for him, which definitely brought an unexpected smile to his face. While I don't like the idea of audience members throwing off the actors or even expecting attention from the performers, you can't help but be delighted to know you helped bring a smile to a kid's face in a way that wouldn't affect the show or the actors. Of course this was just one time that we fans helped orchestrate some extra love and attention for Neil in the show. More to come. :D

This would be the first time I was seeing the show since July, so I was eager to see the changes recently introduced, both to dialogue and to cast. Though I normally prefer to be verbose, I'm going to just list some notes instead so you can pick through them easier.

Dad (Daniel Jenkins): Overall, very good. Deep Into The Ground done very well. Some lines delivered flat or otherwise yelled a bit too much especially in the beginning when he's cooking breakfast/getting Billy out of bed/yelling at Tony and Grandma. Should also allow the audience to see "an egg actually" better in pan. Needs to favor comedy more than drama. Just needs to settle into the role.

Grandma (Katherine McGrath): Overall, very good. She's too serious though at times. Carole Shelly and Merle Louise know how to enjoy the part, and Katherine will too in time. She's not bad at all, just needs to soften and relax. The part will speak volumes for itself and she can just let it be a great ride. Needs to favor comedy more than drama. Just needs to settle into the role.

George (William Youmans): He's a fun addition to the cast. Has a totally different look than Joel Hatch, although the same great cap and even way of carrying himself. He's got the concept of George down very well and more than the others seems to have a good idea of how the part should be played (knows Joel Hatch's performance perhaps). May need to not favor comedy in some places, as the part should be acted mostly straightforward with the comedy just built in. No need to be a ham at all. Overall, very good. Just needs to settle into the role.

Big Davey (Danny Rutigliano): Awesome. Does a great job and also does the part usually done by the George character opening the second act. A downright fabulous addition to the cast and an asset to the show! One humorous caveat: He broke a dish when making his sandwich in the beginning so Peter had to clean it up while chastising Grandma. :lol:

Script And Other Changes:
"F*d if I know" [Billy's second line at start of Act 1] changed to something silly, can't remember what but it was a total miss. Crickets.
"F*in' hell" [Billy when he sees Michael dressed up] changed to "bloody hell" which works fine.
May be other cursing changes that I'm not recalling right now, but someone here mentioned they're just slowly making the edits to ease actors into so many changes.
George in boxing scene now does the bit from Tour, with Mohammad Ali/Cassius Clay (I love that bit).
Dad in Royal Ballet [in the area Greg would realize his fly was down] blows his nose into a handkerchief, appreciates mirrored backing with his hand, realizes he's left a smudge and goes to clean it off. Then realizes he's just used his soiled handkerchief for the job. =) May be someone else's same bit?
And they've finally replaced the wobbly suitcase at the end, thank God! :D

I'm sure there were more, just drawing a blank at the moment.

Back to the show...

At the end of an always awesome Express Yourself, a few of us gave Neil a Standing O as a sign of how much we always appreciated his talent in this great number. I hope the many who didn't understand us doing this will have realized later on when he was given flowers at the curtain. Adults can move in and out of roles easily, but the child actors have just this one go, so I feel they deserve as special a sendoff as we can give them. I make so few shows but I know others are with me on this and have done similar for other actors.

Born To Boogie was great with Thommie getting lots of laughs and lots of mid-number applause too! Talk about a gift to this show, he really gives so much to this part. At Intermission I had to run to the loo and overheard a boy tell his dad, "My favorite part was when the piano guy danced with Billy!" :D Peter ended the number with an awesome aerial which the audience gave a huge roar for as well.

As Neil left the stage at the start of Dream Ballet, we applauded for him again. =)

Peter's Electricity was outstanding. And because of a beautiful, perfect close, I leaped to my feet almost right away. I don't always stand at this juncture, and when I do feel that it's warranted, I try to wait a few seconds because I know as an avid fan I tend to do so easier than others, but I just couldn't help myself this time. Peter got a huge applause and more people standing and he couldn't suppress a genuine smile either. He had to have been very happy with the ovation (both audible and standing) that he got after what was a really awesome dance!

Some extra cheering from far behind me at curtain's close with Neil on his bike. A smattering of extra applause and quick standing for Neil for his bow as well. Flowers at the final bow for Neil and Happy Trails sung for him behind the curtain.

At stage door, a huge, LOUD cheer and applause for Neil when he came outside followed by a tearful Ben Cook. "There is nothing on this earth more to be prized than true friendship." --Thomas Aquinas

See ya Neil! And just as Billy and Michael say "See ya" to each other, we recall that this is not a goodbye forever for Neil or cast members leaving the show or moving to the Tour. It's just a "See ya" for the next time which I'm sure will come again very soon.

All the best to Neil and his family who have been treasured parts of the Billy family.......and always will be.

Sean

"Good writers define reality; bad ones merely restate it." -Edward Albee
Rich B
Technical Advisor
Technical Advisor

Post by Rich B »

Nice review, Sean. Thanks. :D
rickyfc
Small Boy

Post by rickyfc »

Yes, excellent review, Sean. I really wish I was there for this one.
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

My thanks as well Sean. It almost felt like I was there. What a great sendoff for Neil. Also nice to hear that Peter did such a great Electricity. He has really come a long way in his year in the show. :D
:/
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

shimmyshimmy wrote:Last days for any of the kids are bittersweet. How close these kids get to each other is both touching and sad when it seems like they're convinced they'll never see each other again. But in this age where technology has made the world tiny, they'll be OK.
I don't suppose it's any different for the adults either.
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.

Return to “Reviews - Broadway”