Tall Boy

Re: October 2011 Reviews - NYC

Post by muck912 »

JP & Ty both do the flip.
AJ HOLDEN
Tall Boy

Post by AJ HOLDEN »

Just completed a mini Billython and apologies for one overall review rather than for the different shows.

Sunday 23rd Peter and Jack
Tuesday 25th Joe and Jack
Wednesday 26th and Sunday 30th Giuseppe and Jack

Overall 4 very impressive and enjoyable shows. I won’t dwell on the Billy’s and their brilliant dancing and acting abilities too much. We all know how good they are and you just have to read in the Playbill about their various achievements in winning state and national dance awards and their years of dedication to know they are simply the best of the best. Very sorry to miss Tade and Myles as Billy as various forum members I met were saying just how good they are. I do have to say that Giuseppe did stand out for me. This was because he is the largest Billy I have ever seen and his extra strength did count throughout the show. The smaller Billy’s, who for all their skill and determination, can’t compete with some of the jaw dropping execution and precision Giuseppe achieved, however, don’t get me wrong, being a smaller Billy’s can still be all the more endearing and no less entertaining.

Only saw Jack as Michael and what a natural entertainer he is. Lilla as Debbie was also a star. I found their delivery of the lines absolutely spot on. I find some of the London Debbie’s can rush some lines and they can learn a lot from Lillas’ timing. This is particularly in front of the line of policeman in Solidarity. I loved the precaution she took by looking around in the toilets scene to make sure she wasn’t overheard before talking to Billy.

I have to be brutally honest and say the adult cast is not quite as good as last year. I feel the boxing scene in particular needs a lot of work. It lacks a certain punch. I did like Emily Skinner (and also Laura Marie Duncan as understudy), I felt they portrayed Mrs W very well and I also felt Katherine McGrath as grandma gave a strong performance.

It was good to see virtually full houses on each visit and thoroughly appreciative audiences. If ever the cast are in doubt about the audience, if they appear a little lacklustre, there should be a hidden mike placed among the Billy virgins and pipe their comments into the dressing rooms because all you hear is nothing but praise. I take a huge amount of pleasure holding court talking to the Billy virgins and relaying various facts and feats about the cast and show and seeing their astonishment.

Many thanks to Thommie Ritter for a fantastic back stage tour (and thanks to Billy Whiz for setting it up). It was thrilling to be on the stage and among the props and apologies to Joe Harrington when my son was mistaken for him as they both stood on the stage and another group of people mistook him for Billy, ignoring Joe! The little monkey was going to take all the praise.

Many thanks to the Forum members who said hello and I am very sorry to know I have seen my last Broadway Billy show. It has been fun. Thanks to the kids for being so kind at the stage door for the comments and photo’s and for Lilla in coming over and saying hello when she recognised us, that was simply brilliant. Also fun to talk to the door staff and intriguing to know how little was known of the London show. I put that right! And thanks to the New York weather for dumping so much snow on us.

Alex.
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Thanks for the review Alex.

I'm so glad you and Nathan had a great time.
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
rickyfc
Small Boy

Post by rickyfc »

The anecdote about your son made me laugh and choke on my coffee!!
LiamM
Technical Advisor
Technical Advisor

Post by LiamM »

"Nooooo, he's Billy Elliot! I'm still at school, like."
cglaid
Small Boy

Post by cglaid »

Did anyone see Myles as Michael? If so, please post your thoughts!

Return to “Reviews - Broadway”